PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Durkon tell Redcloak that.....

Mad Humanist
2021-10-07, 12:07 PM
Why didn't Durkon tell Redcloak that after sealing the rifts, the goblins would be recognized by the gods as having a special role in holding the world together and that killing Goblinoids (except in the direst self-defence) would henceforth be blasphemous. I mean I am sure that Durkon could have persuaded Thor and Odin to promise this and they could probably have persuaded Loki and others to buy into such a deal. This I think would have been much more persuasive.

Of course I realize the Giant did not want Durkon to succeed at this point, but I feel the final deal will include some such provision and could have done earlier.

Peelee
2021-10-07, 12:11 PM
You're asking why Durkon would have told Redcloak something that wasn't true?

Mad Humanist
2021-10-07, 12:16 PM
You're asking why Durkon would have told Redcloak something that wasn't true?

Maybe I did not word it terribly well. Durkon proposed a deal that did involve getting Thor and co to buy into the deal. I think this could have been added to the deal and should have been, because it will be necessary to spot-weld rifts going forward and Goblinoid clerics are essential to that. So actually he status of Goblinkind would have been raised to considerably and to a unique position in the deal. How one puts that into practice is a matter for what the gods tell their clerics.

I don't think Durkon thought have this, but then I suppose he really had not thought about the Goblin perspective at all and so had not thought of this aspect.

Emanick
2021-10-07, 12:27 PM
Maybe I did not word it terribly well. Durkon proposed a deal that did involve getting Thor and co to buy into the deal. I think this could have been added to the deal and should have been, because it will be necessary to spot-weld rifts going forward and Goblinoid clerics are essential to that. So actually he status of Goblinkind would have been raised to considerably and to a unique position in the deal. How one puts that into practice is a matter for what the gods tell their clerics.

I don't think Durkon thought have this, but then I suppose he really had not thought about the Goblin perspective at all and so had not thought of this aspect.

I think that probably would have been a smart thing to offer, and likely would have helped. Durkon's biggest mistake (IMO) was not offering enough to get Redcloak to buy in, and this would have been a big concession. (Obviously he would have had to run it by Thor, but as an opening offer, it's pretty significant.)

I think you're probably correct that the main reason why Durkon didn't suggest this is that he didn't think of it. He only had a couple of days to mull things over, and had much less information about Redcloak's desires and motives than we do. Plus, I read him as having fairly average intelligence. Not dumb, but not brimming over with innovative ideas, either.

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 12:35 PM
It's really Thor's fault. He didn't give anything for Durkon to offer in the first place, and that's why Durkon ended up offering those table scraps that almost got him imploded.
Now, during a second round of negotiations, Durkon would be in an even worse position: now he basically knows Thor won't really help him put together an acceptable deal and that the gods would really rather preserve as much of the status quo as possible.

BloodSquirrel
2021-10-07, 12:41 PM
Because IMPLOSION.

Durkon never got that far because Redcloak tried to kill him at the "Hey, let's try to make a deal" stage of the negotiations. It wasn't like they were discussing detailed terms or had reached an impasse. Redcloak made a brief show of listening to him before flipping the table because he's all-or-nothing into the plan, and wasn't going to compromise.

Also, it's a fairly weak claim, and I doubt even a more reasonable version of Redcloak (the kind of Goblin Durkon thought he'd be negotiating with) would buy it. Why would goblins get special protection? All of the four colors are equally necessary, and Thor could be expected to be just as jealous of his followers as The Dark One of his. Of all the gods, the Dark One is in the weakest position- he has something they want, but they have something that he needs, since he'll be the one to die if this world blows up.

Durkon made the right call- get Redcloak to agree that a negotiated deal could at least be potentially better than continuing with his current plan, then work out the details. The problem was that Redcloak was going to reject any deal short of "All of the non-goblinoids agree to be your slaves and hand the gate over to the Dark One to do whatever he wants with it".

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 12:49 PM
Durkon never got that far because Redcloak tried to kill him at the "Hey, let's try to make a deal" stage of the negotiations. It wasn't like they were discussing detailed terms or had reached an impasse. Redcloak made a brief show of listening to him before flipping the table because he's all-or-nothing into the plan, and wasn't going to compromise.

What Durkon offered wasn't a huge compromise either. Of course, that Redcloak went IMPLOSION! instead of retorting with a counteroffer might be telling. (But then, he sat down to talk, so…)

Also, it's a fairly weak claim, and I doubt even a more reasonable version of Redcloak (the kind of Goblin Durkon thought he'd be negotiating with) would buy it. Why would goblins get special protection? All of the four colors are equally necessary, and Thor could be expected to be just as jealous of his followers as The Dark One of his. Of all the gods, the Dark One is in the weakest position- he has something they want, but they have something that he needs, since he'll be the one to die if this world blows up.

Now that's a better point. (I'm also pretty sure no one really wants to see what'd happen if saving the world depended on Durkon's Bluff modifier.)

"All of the non-goblinoids agree to be your slaves

That's not part of the Plan, though.

Nymrod
2021-10-07, 12:54 PM
Durkon's opening argument should have been that if there is any risk that Redcloak succeeds the Gods are already with their hand on the trigger ready to destroy this world and his god will not survive the process. Would be interesting to have the Dark One listen to that viewpoint in a Commune. Sure he would not want to believe it but he would at least investigate and maybe then Loki might have a chance convincing him to try and save this world (and then he'd get a chance to get SOME concessions).

Ultimately though NOTHING Durkon could say would ever get Redcloak to abandon the plan because that would immediately mean that everything he has done has been for naught and he would never be willing to confront his mistakes. He'd rather sacrifice every last goblin on the planet than take a step back. Redcloak's entire point is that he rationalizes everything evil he does and justifies it because of the plan or just through spite.

BloodSquirrel
2021-10-07, 01:13 PM
What Durkon offered wasn't a huge compromise either. Of course, that Redcloak went IMPLOSION! instead of retorting with a counteroffer might be telling. (But then, he sat down to talk, so…)

That's because you can't offer a compromise until the other side is at least asking for something concrete. Redcloak never gets as far as telling Durkon what he actually wants. All he says is "I want more" and "I don't trust you".

That's not part of the Plan, though.

Tell that to the slaves in Gobbotopia.

BloodSquirrel
2021-10-07, 01:18 PM
Durkon's opening argument should have been that if there is any risk that Redcloak succeeds the Gods are already with their hand on the trigger ready to destroy this world and his god will not survive the process. Would be interesting to have the Dark One listen to that viewpoint in a Commune. Sure he would not want to believe it but he would at least investigate and maybe then Loki might have a chance convincing him to try and save this world (and then he'd get a chance to get SOME concessions).

The problem with that kind of hard opener is getting Redcloak to believe it. It's too easy for someone as dug-in as Redcloak to dismiss it as a lie precisely because his only alternative is to immediately change all at once. A softer opening at least gives him time to think.

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 01:30 PM
That's because you can't offer a compromise until the other side is at least asking for something concrete. Redcloak never gets as far as telling Durkon what he actually wants. All he says is "I want more" and "I don't trust you".

Tell that to the slaves in Gobbotopia.

Wrong on both counts. Redcloak tells Durkon that he wants better resources and an equal status (no attacking goblinoids on sight for being goblinoids &c.) for his species. In the same strip, he also tells Durkon that if the problems he brought up are addressed, his "people will have no reason to seize further human territories", heavily implying, to say the least, that enslaving all non-goblinoids is not a part of the Plan. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1208.html)

BloodSquirrel
2021-10-07, 02:02 PM
Wrong on both counts. Redcloak tells Durkon that he wants better resources and an equal status (no attacking goblinoids on sight for being goblinoids &c.) for his species. In the same strip, he also tells Durkon that if the problems he brought up are addressed, his "people will have no reason to seize further human territories", heavily implying, to say the least, that enslaving all non-goblinoids is not a part of the Plan. (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1208.html)

In the same strip, he also tells Durkon that if the problems he brought up are addressed, his "people will have no reason to seize further human territories", heavily implying, to say the least, that enslaving all non-goblinoids is not a part of the Plan.[/URL]

Yes, if they give goblinoids all of their stuff, they won't need to seize it. And, no, I'm not being facetious there. Durkon directly asks Redcloak if whether he just wants humans to stop killing goblins or if he wants goblins to be allowed to kill humans, and Redcloak goes on a rant justifying murdering humans instead of giving him a straight answer. Then, right after Durkon tries to tell him that they'll agree to not murdering each other, Redcloak tries to murder Durkon.

Redcloak deliberately attaches an open-ended qualifier to his side of the peace offer that works out to "give me everything I want". He never asks for anything more specific or bounded than that, even when directly prompted. And this is just what Redcloak- someone who is not known for being honest either with himself or others- is willing to say openly. Meanwhile, while not at the negotiating table, he's admitted to being willing to blow up the whole world if he doesn't get his way.

Metastachydium
2021-10-07, 02:14 PM
Yes, if they give goblinoids all of their stuff, they won't need to seize it. And, no, I'm not being facetious there.

Yes, you are.
1. Do point out where Redcloak says he wants ALL of their stuff. All he brings up is better resources and an equal standing.

Durkon directly asks Redcloak if whether he just wants humans to stop killing goblins or if he wants goblins to be allowed to kill humans, and Redcloak goes on a rant justifying murdering humans instead of giving him a straight answer.

2. No, the rant is in response to "you are already equal enough, and moreso than dwarves in certain respects; stop whining" (which is phenomenally undiplomatic).

Then, right after Durkon tries to tell him that they'll agree to not murdering each other,

3. That's not what Durkon offers. Durkon offers nothing (I'll maybe talk to some guys and the current status quo may end up preserved for a while; but then, maybe not). Redcloak's "response" is of course pretty much inexcusable, but that doesn't make Durkon's so called "deal" any better.

Redcloak deliberately attaches an open-ended qualifier to his side of the peace offer that works out to "give me everything I want". He never asks for anything more specific or bounded than that, even when directly prompted.

4. Yes he does. Better resources and an equal standing is a lot more specific than "everything I want."

And this is just what Redcloak- someone who is not known for being honest either with himself or others- is willing to say openly.

I'm not going to dignify that with an answer, sorry.

Mike Havran
2021-10-07, 04:03 PM
It would not have worked. As long as Xykon is around, Redcloak has no safer alternative than to continue with the plan.

Jasdoif
2021-10-07, 04:29 PM
Why didn't Durkon tell Redcloak that after sealing the rifts, the goblins would be recognized by the gods as having a special role in holding the world together and that killing Goblinoids (except in the direst self-defence) would henceforth be blasphemous. I mean I am sure that Durkon could have persuaded Thor and Odin to promise this and they could probably have persuaded Loki and others to buy into such a deal.They weren't in agreement without ceding such things to the Dark One (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html); if Thor couldn't persuade them then, why would asking even more from them work any better?

woweedd
2021-10-07, 06:18 PM
*Ahem*, not part of the plan as far as Redcloak KNOWS. I absolutely think that's, at least, included in the Dark One's plan for what to do after unleashing the Snarl and recreating the world.

Hurkyl
2021-10-07, 08:42 PM
And there are a few unresolved plot threads that could tie together into a conspiracy. IFCC and Tiamat are meddling in the gates. Tiamat has relations with both IFCC and TDO. The other gods think Tiamat is trying to manipulate them in pursuit of some secret agenda.

The conspiracy could be anything from a gambit to be the only gods in the new world to trying to manipulate TDO in a position to help seal the gates. But I'm expecting something to come from it in relation to The Plan.

Ruck
2021-10-07, 11:33 PM
Durkon also didn't mention the part about the Dark One not surviving to the next world. He didn't mention a few things that might have been relevant to Redcloak, because he thought what he was offering was good enough to convince him, because he badly misunderstood Redcloak's deeper goals and his real level of commitment to seeing the Plan through.

Metastachydium
2021-10-08, 03:39 AM
*Ahem*, not part of the plan as far as Redcloak KNOWS. I absolutely think that's, at least, included in the Dark One's plan for what to do after unleashing the Snarl and recreating the world.

Destroying the world/letting it get destroyed is plan B rather than the Plan itself, and Big Purple will never hold enough leverage to achieve that much, especially if he fires off the nuke.

And there are a few unresolved plot threads that could tie together into a conspiracy. IFCC and Tiamat are meddling in the gates. Tiamat has relations with both IFCC and TDO. The other gods think Tiamat is trying to manipulate them in pursuit of some secret agenda.

The conspiracy could be anything from a gambit to be the only gods in the new world to trying to manipulate TDO in a position to help seal the gates. But I'm expecting something to come from it in relation to The Plan.

Yes, please! This story needs more Tiamat!

Dion
2021-10-08, 08:50 AM
Why didn't Durkon tell Redcloak that after sealing the rifts, the goblins would be recognized by the gods as having a special role in holding the world together and that killing Goblinoids (except in the direst self-defence) would henceforth be blasphemous.

Because Durkon isn’t a lying liar who lies.

Which is why he’s a lawful good cleric of Thor, and not a used car salesman.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-08, 09:32 AM
Because Durkon isn’t a lying liar who lies.

Which is why he’s a lawful good cleric of Thor, and not a used car salesman.

I don't think it would be a lie, but I already explained that above.

Dion
2021-10-08, 09:44 AM
I don't think it would be a lie, but I already explained that above.

Durkon has no reason to believe that what you suggest is even possible.

And, Durkon would be lying if he gave Redcloak the idea that there was any possibility he could convince the gods to do that.

Thor’s offer was “Get Redcloak to help seal the rift and in exchange I’ll convince be the other gods to save the world”.

That’s it. That’s all Thor offered. I thought he made it pretty clear that he could t do any more than that.

If Thor wanted a delusional negotiator to sell redcloak on empty promises and impossible hopes, he should have sent Hilgya.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-08, 10:15 AM
Durkon has no reason to believe that what you suggest is even possible.

And, Durkon would be lying if he gave Redcloak the idea that there was any possibility he could convince the gods to do that.

Thor’s offer was “Get Redcloak to help seal the rift and in exchange I’ll convince be the other gods to save the world”.

That’s it. That’s all Thor offered. I thought he made it pretty clear that he could t do any more than that.

If Thor wanted a delusional negotiator to sell redcloak on empty promises and impossible hopes, he should have sent Hilgya.

Maybe Thor had not thought through all the implications. We have plenty of evidence that the Gods are not all that wise. But once they have done one, they will need to reseal the other rifts and then any new rifts that appear. Thor may not be able to persuade even a majority of this, but he should be able to persuade several - his allies, Odin, Baldr etc. Once it is proven to work he can persuade the others. There needs to be a supply of Dark One clerics to make that work. Certainly all four quiddities are needed but purple only has one god. So the implication of Durkon's deal was that Goblinoids would have a special role post deal. I guess Durkon did not see this. Maybe Thor did not see it. Certainly Redcloak did not see it. But the implication is there.

Metastachydium
2021-10-08, 10:27 AM
Some of the gods (I'm looking at you, Tyr) are on the record stating that they'd gladly see the world destroyed before conceding an inch's worth of ground to Big Purple. Thor knows this and Durkon knows this.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-08, 10:40 AM
Some of the gods (I'm looking at you, Tyr) are on the record stating that they'd gladly see the world destroyed before conceding an inch's worth of ground to Big Purple. Thor knows this and Durkon knows this.

That does not really impinge on my point. They would just be the last hold outs. It would still be a better deal for Goblins then they have now. And if the Dark One had proven to be helping to hold the world together even Tyr might change his mind.

I do take the point that Tyr is being unhelpful here. But so is Redcloak (and so presumably is the Dark One though we have not heard him speak directly).

Jasdoif
2021-10-08, 12:23 PM
I don't think it would be a lie, but I already explained that above.There's quite a bit of difference between Durkon's proposal to get Thor to say "hey, if we can agree with this thing these mortals wrote to solve their problem, we can solve our problem; what do you say?" and your proposal to get Thor to say "hey, you know that Dark One we couldn't all agree to deal with to solve our problem? If we just give him tons more stuff we can solve our problem; what do you say?" Namely, your proposing that Thor can get the other gods to sign on with paying a price personally to come to an agreement...and if Thor could do that, why wasn't he able to get them to come to an agreement before adding a personal cost to themselves into the mix?

As Durkon said himself, some of the gods are real jackasses (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1209.html), which is the reason he proposed backing the whole thing with a mortal treaty instead...I imagine he thinks trying to place impositions on them himself is unreliable at best.

Psyren
2021-10-08, 01:17 PM
It's really Thor's fault. He didn't give anything for Durkon to offer in the first place, and that's why Durkon ended up offering those table scraps that almost got him imploded.
Now, during a second round of negotiations, Durkon would be in an even worse position: now he basically knows Thor won't really help him put together an acceptable deal and that the gods would really rather preserve as much of the status quo as possible.

To be fair to Thor, he had no way of talking to Redcloak to figure out what to offer until his cleric (Durkon) sat down with him, thanks to the "dumb god laws tying his hands." So while Durkon is in a worse position now due to the prior negotiations having failed, he's also in the better position of knowing what Redcloak wants and what might potentially appeal to him. We know what Redcloak wants because we had a number of solo scenes and a whole prequel book to learn his perspective, but the heroes didn't until right now.

Does that excuse Redcloak for trying to murder the first cleric to actually ask him what he wanted, of course not, but Redcloak is a walking Sunk Cost Fallacy anyway so convincing him was never going to be easy.

Putting aside that (as mentioned above) Durkon had no way of knowing the "Goblin perspective" until moments before getting imploded - you yourself are making some pretty big assumptions as to what the state of the world will look like post-purple quiddity. Thor mentions spot-welding the rifts that pop up, yes, but he never says they need the goblins to do it. Given that he thinks only a drop is needed to solve all of the existing rifts, the goblins may not need to be an ongoing part of the solution at all.

Squire Doodad
2021-10-08, 01:41 PM
I think a "the gods have been running from the Snarl for ages, so if TDO were to help fix that, they'd be pretty grateful to TDO" tidbit would have gotten Redcloak on the right path to realize what he has to gain, but then Durkon knows they can't just poof the world into being different so he wouldn't be able to give concrete examples outside of, like, maybe gods encouraging their followers to set up some trade routes with Gobbotopia.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-08, 02:47 PM
........but he never says they need the goblins to do it......

That could have been a pretty big omission. It seems pretty unlikely that purple quiddity would not be needed in future, even if that is strictly speaking logically consistent with what Thor said.

For the spot-welding I believe they only need one god from each of the four pantheons. For one of those the Dark One is the only choice. And who worships the Dark One?

Strict logical consistency is one thing. What follows plausibly from what we know is another.

Psyren
2021-10-08, 04:25 PM
That could have been a pretty big omission. It seems pretty unlikely that purple quiddity would not be needed in future, even if that is strictly speaking logically consistent with what Thor said.

For the spot-welding I believe they only need one god from each of the four pantheons. For one of those the Dark One is the only choice. And who worships the Dark One?

Strict logical consistency is one thing. What follows plausibly from what we know is another.

I agree it's plausible that they will need all the goblins on an ongoing basis. The fact though is that we don't know what form the post-current-crisis will take. As it stands, only one goblin cleric in the entire world can cast 9th-level spells, so for Durkon to say that all the others are necessary too would be a lie and thus something he wouldn't say.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-09, 02:19 AM
I agree it's plausible that they will need all the goblins on an ongoing basis. The fact though is that we don't know what form the post-current-crisis will take. As it stands, only one goblin cleric in the entire world can cast 9th-level spells, so for Durkon to say that all the others are necessary too would be a lie and thus something he wouldn't say.

Okay this is progress.

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying here. But there are still some implications to think through here. If the plan works, and spot-welding works requiring a high-level Dark One cleric then Redcloak will have an important role probably for the rest of his life. This is something that Durkon did not put across. Then if the world survives long enough it will eventually outlive Redcloak and they will need a new high-level Dark One cleric. Of course there is no guarantee the goblins will have produce such a cleric, but it can only come from the goblinoids. These are long-term implications that Durkon did not manage to get across.

Of course Redcloak did not allow Durkon to go on. Also Durkon started with the disadvantage of severe ignorance of the Goblin perspective. On the other hand the negotiations had some digressions that perhaps a more skillful negotiator than Durkon would have avoided (such as Redcloak's relationship with the Dark One and just how scared the gods are of Redcloak.)

That is all without bringing the gods into it. It would of course foster relationships with at least some of the gods.

Also surely it would have enabled the Dark One to be brought into Godsmoot infrastructure. Even if the world is destroyed that is a sticking point. If they can't bring him into that structure whilst the world exists, can they do it whilst the Snark is loose? Surely they would just wait for the Dark One to die (and Hel would die too.) Or the Dark One would start creating his own world but then surely he would be consumed by the Snarl.

All of this Durkon failed to get across. Of course Durkon was not given the chance. Redcloak probably did not believe what he was saying. What Durkon was very open about that the process is bound to be messy. In this way it is analogous to human politics. People don't just recognize that a cause, one that is against their interests, is just. To call the resolution of such conflicts "messy" is an understatement.

Psyren
2021-10-09, 12:22 PM
This is something that Durkon did not put across.

My point is that he couldn't, because Thor didn't tell him that was the case. You're holding him to account for not using a bargaining chip that would be entirely based on supposition, and that isn't fair.

And I doubt any negotiator could have avoided Redcloak's digressions, he's an ego on legs.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-09, 12:30 PM
My point is that he couldn't, because Thor didn't tell him that was the case.

In that case I put the blame on Thor. That said I think it quite likely that Thor has not thought through all the implications. Still Thor just says to Durkon "You'll come up with something." That sounds a lot like giving Durkon some leeway to improvise to me.

Maybe they could hash all this out is Durkon could set aside enough spell slots for commune but quite frankly I can see that not happening before the end of the book. This is morning after all.

Psyren
2021-10-09, 01:58 PM
In that case I put the blame on Thor. That said I think it quite likely that Thor has not thought through all the implications. Still Thor just says to Durkon "You'll come up with something." That sounds a lot like giving Durkon some leeway to improvise to me.

If Thor's plan was really hinging on Durkon of all people lying or making stuff up, then yes, blaming Thor is pretty appropriate.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-09, 02:03 PM
If Thor's plan was really hinging on Durkon of all people lying or making stuff up, then yes, blaming Thor is pretty appropriate.

I was talking about Durkon drawing reasonable inferences not lying. There may be religions where using your brain is blasphemous, but Thor's does not strike me as that sort of religion.

Psyren
2021-10-09, 02:06 PM
You can call it "inference" all you like, but Durkon is not going to promise something he has no way of knowing is the case, end of. Expecting him to do so is not reasonable.

Peelee
2021-10-09, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I'm with Psyren 100% here. Durkon did everything he could. Overpeomising on things that he has no possible way to fulfill grossly exceeds the mandate Thor gave him.

Kornaki
2021-10-09, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I'm with Psyren 100% here. Durkon did everything he could. Overpeomising on things that he has no possible way to fulfill grossly exceeds the mandate Thor gave him.

Literally he was just told ,"You need to convince Redcloak to help us". Durkon decided to do this by negotiating in good faith, but really Durkon has pretty wide latitude to say whatever words he wants as part of this. They're just words after all. I agree that is he has to lie to Redcloak to get it to happen, long term that's a bad place to be in, but failing to convince Redcloak is even worse, right?

Peelee
2021-10-09, 07:32 PM
Literally he was just told ,"You need to convince Redcloak to help us". Durkon decided to do this by negotiating in good faith, but really Durkon has pretty wide latitude to say whatever words he wants as part of this. They're just words after all. I agree that is he has to lie to Redcloak to get it to happen, long term that's a bad place to be in, but failing to convince Redcloak is even worse, right?

Promising the world and then failing to deliver when Redcloak asks for any evidence whatsoever also qualifies as "failing to convince Redcloak".

pearl jam
2021-10-09, 07:41 PM
Promising the moon because he thinks it would be a good solution that would make everyone happy without recognizing it to be completely unrealistic sounds a lot more like Elan than Durkon. And expecting Durkon to negotiate in bad faith knowingly because "they're just words" is completely out of his character. Even Elan, who is not as lawful as Durkon and not completely averse to bending the truth, but is, like Durkon, a good and basically honest person, wouldn't negotiate in that manner, in my opinion, nor would Roy.

Haley probably would under the right circumstances. Same for V. And Belkar certain would have and might still though it's becoming more questionable. Probably overstating that, though, I think he'd still do it.

Psyren
2021-10-09, 08:06 PM
"They're just words" has to be one of the most un-Durkon things I could imagine being associated with his character.

Mad Humanist
2021-10-10, 05:02 AM
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

woweedd
2021-10-10, 07:44 AM
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

Well, I mean…Your points aren’t vindicated. Durkon had no reason to promise that which he doesn’t know.

Kornaki
2021-10-10, 09:20 AM
I agree that Durkon lying to or deceiving Redcloak would be pretty out of character for him personally, I was just arguing that Thor's order certainly seems to permit it if Durkon deems it necessary.

Psyren
2021-10-10, 09:35 AM
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum.

Anyone can indeed make a thread :smallcool:

I agree that Durkon lying to or deceiving Redcloak would be pretty out of character for him personally, I was just arguing that Thor's order certainly seems to permit it if Durkon deems it necessary.

I'm not saying he physically can't, nor even that he might eventually (out of desperation etc) decide to resort to unorthodox measures. Just that he can't be blamed for not doing something so far out of left field as his opening gambit.

Dion
2021-10-10, 11:22 AM
I was talking about Durkon drawing reasonable inferences not lying.

“Reasonable Inference” is the name of my Joy Division cover band.

But more importantly, I believe the “reasonable inference” from what Thor said is that mortals get nothing from the gods. No concessions, no support, no divine changes. Nothing except spells each day.

If the mortals find a way to solve this on their own, Thor is prepared to convince at least one god from each pantheon to help seal the rift.

Nothing else was offered.

Peelee
2021-10-10, 11:56 AM

Funny, it's also the name of my Foregone Conclusion cover band.

Kornaki
2021-10-10, 02:33 PM

But more importantly, I believe the “reasonable inference” from what Thor said is that mortals get nothing from the gods. No concessions, no support, no divine changes. Nothing except spells each day.

If the mortals find a way to solve this on their own, Thor is prepared to convince at least one god from each pantheon to help seal the rift.

Nothing else was offered.

This is a good point, I kind of forgot Durkon directly asked what Thor could do to help and his answer was Durkon's cleric spells.