PDA

View Full Version : Heirs To Altenheim [IC]

JNAProductions
2021-10-07, 05:51 PM
Your father has been dead for about eighteen hours.

Katya was the first to arrive, when Velguardr sent their summons out. She rallied the guard, letting them know an emergency had happened, but not the specific details.
Lyarra was the second, arriving at the palace as the guards were finishing locking the area down. It took some doing to get her inside.
Selyena and Jessa arrived last, as they were not in Altenheim's city proper when they were Sent for.

But arrive you all have-and Velguardr looks upon you with a heavy heart.

What will you do?

OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?637267-Heirs-To-Altenheim-OOC)

Edge
2021-10-07, 06:14 PM
Katya is stood looming over a table, poring over a map of the city, as well as several genealogical documents of prominent noble houses.

"Well, ladies, now that we're all here," she begins, looking over her half-sisters with a somewhat critical eye, "We need to decide what our best course of action for securing the stability of Altenheim and the safety of its people is. And to do that, we must know what threat we're actually dealing with. Clearly there is foul work at play, so we should be wary of any potential followup to this attack. My initial suspicion would fall on either an ambitious noble, or whoever stands to succeed the throne, now that every pureblood scion of the royal line is dead. Velguardr, would you happen to know who the next in line would be?"

JNAProductions
2021-10-07, 07:36 PM
"The next heir would have been Jonathan the eight, first son of your father. After that, down the family line... But that is gone now," they say. "We have never thought that we would lose seven members of the Tempor family in a single day-given the writ of law, the successor to the Tempor line, should it be completely done away with, is down to a vote from the noble families. I do not know if anyone can meet the threshold of a majority of the votes, though I suspect not soon. It would take considerable wheedling and dealing to get any noble household to vote for another, and to do so to achieve a majority... Years of toil, during which Altenheim would be left rudderless. Of course, the Tempor line is not gone-not quite yet."

Lentrax
2021-10-07, 10:05 PM
Selyena staff jingles as she leans it against the back of a chair, the brass loops clinking against each other as the staff comes to rest. Her robes are various shades of red, and unlike many other practitioners of magic, they do not look elegant or refined.

Her head is shaved on one side, with simple linear patterns shaved into the short stubble that remains. The other side of her head is cut to shoulder length, tapering from front to back. The style marks her as a monk of middling rank. Not a master, but neither a new pupil.

A ship without a rudder must find itself a paddle. I must congratulate you, Velguardr for finding such material that will make fine ones someday.

Starbin
2021-10-07, 10:19 PM
Jessa Inion Ri (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2529857)

Jessa stood silently for a moment in the room, eyes dry but tinged with sadness. She appeared to be an average-sized woman, with light bluish skin and red hair. She had been surprised by the summons from her studies, and even more so by the reason. She had only met her father a handful of times, but the man was still a powerful figure, even for his half a century in years. To learn he had died was somewhat disconcerting. However, when she learned ALL the pure bloods of his line had died by dark magik, she understood this was no simple affair.

The guards had rushed her off to a carriage which made for the capital with all haste. During the ride, she considered not only the situation but the other key piece of information they had told her - she had three sisters! Well, half-sisters, but still that was more than she had in her life before. The real question was what were they like?

Now that she was here, it was obvious one of them was very focused, and a bit off-putting ... but given the circumstances, it was probably to be expected. Perhaps she could be a voice of calming here ...

”Um ...hello ... sisters? I do not know much of life here, but if all the heirs are gone, wouldn’t WE next in line? And perhaps the next targets ...

Oh, and I am Jessa Inion Ri. Pleased to meet you.”

She bowed her head to the others.
OOC - Game on friends!
AC: 17 HP: 31 Init +2 Move 40’’
Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1
Skills: Athletics +6, Acrobatics +4, Religion +2; Insight +7; Perception +7, Medicine +7, Persuasion +3
Tools: Calligraphy, Herbalism, Pan flute
Ki 4pt / rest
Detect magic / Disguise self 1 ea / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest
Deflect arrows (1d10+7) and Slow fall (20’) as Reactions
Channel divinity 1 / rest (Turn undead, Bond of Peace)
Emboldening bond 2 / long rest
Weapons: Unarmed (+6 / 1d4+4); Ono (+6 / 1d6+4); Darts x10 (+4 / 1d4+4)
Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd
0: guidance, thaumaturgy, light, sacred flame
1st (x4): heroism, sanctuary, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt, shield of faith
2nd (x3): aid, warding bond, silence, enhance ability, locate object, hold person, zone of truth
Effects: Powerful build; Speech of beast and leaf

JNAProductions
2021-10-08, 08:59 AM
Velguardr nods. "That is part of why I called you all here-whoever did this might have known you would not have been affected... Or might not have. But once they know of your survival, if they do not already, they are sure to have you in their sights. Here, at the palace, will be safer than your old homes."

Edge
2021-10-08, 10:08 AM
"Provided, of course, that the attack did not come from within the palace walls," Katya says, eyes narrowing as she begins pacing back and forth, stroking her chin in thought. "Regardless, the fact of the matter is that Altenheim needs leadership, whether in the form of a monarch or otherwise. And since the decision of who that is apparently falls to the nobility, it would behoove us to... encourage them to choose a course that is good for the realm."

Katya ceases her pacing, looking down at the genealogies on the table again, leafing through them.

"Hmm. Is there any precedence in Altenheim's history for establishing a regency council?"

JNAProductions
2021-10-08, 10:12 AM
"Before Altenheim was founded, there were several warring peoples. They attempted to, several times, put aside their differences and work together," Velguardr says. "It did not end well-they were unable to keep true to their words and each time the oligarchy was formed, it was disbanded-or destroyed-within a decade or two. When the Tempors came to conquer, they ruled, at first, with an iron fist and forced cooperation. As you would know from history, the kings and queens mellowed over time, but the lessons of the past remain law. Altenheim is to have ruling from one family alone. Hells, we are technically stretching the law by not declaring one and only one of you queen."

Starbin
2021-10-08, 12:42 PM

Jessa remained quite, only her eyes shifting from speaker to speaker. At the last, a slight frown marred her countenance. ”If you require a single ruler than why not select
her? I am sorry, I still don't know any of your names. ” She pointed at Katya.

"She seems the most engaged and witting, and already appears to be in a position of authority."
OOC - Not it ...
Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1
Skills: Athletics +6, Acrobatics +4, Religion +2; Insight +7; Perception +7, Medicine +7, Persuasion +3
Ki 4pt / rest
Detect magic / Disguise self 1 ea / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest
1st (x4): heroism, sanctuary, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt, shield of faith
2nd (x3): aid, warding bond, silence, enhance ability, locate object, hold person, zone of truth

NiKkatsu
2021-10-08, 04:51 PM
https://i.ibb.co/rvKh146/Lyarra.jpg
Lyarra Smith (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2509877)
AC: 18 | HP: 39/39 | HIT DICE: 4d10
Speed: 30ft | Initiative: +2
Passive Perception: 12 | Passive Insight 12
Conditions: ---

Lyarra was a little bit confused with all this talk about rules and laws and whatnot, so she wasn't saying much, hoping that her polite nods would be enough to convince the others that she actually understood what was going on. She thought her sisters all looked pretty and she felt some pride at the thought that they all shared one half of the same blood. When the blue-skinned lady asked for everyone's names, Lyarra was happy to finally know the answer to one of the questions, so she decided to chip into the conversation at this moment, cutting off anyone else before they had the time to answer: 'Hi! I'm Lyarra. Pleased to meet all of you.' As she finishes her first sentence, she steps forward and grabs Jessa's hand, shaking it vigorously: 'I'm a little nervous because all of this looks so serious and important and I'm not exactly sure what most of the things you're saying all means. I mean, I do understand the words, of course but, just.. the larger picture? Wow! Lots of stuff going on, huh? Who killed who and why and all that? And now we need to go saving a whole kingdom? That sounds exciting - and scary. And bad! And you all look soooo pretty! I mean - oh! Maybe that was a bit too forward of me? Umm.. I'm sorry. Well... Anyways. If we need to choose a single ruler I definitely want to suggest myself. I think I would be a just and fair ruler! Yep.'
She never stopped shaking Jessa's hand through her whole tirade, spoken in a single breathe. When she finally stops talking and catches some air she notices how silly she must look right now and immediately blushes... 'I- um...'
She stares at her feet to avoid the others' gazes. Strangely, the heart-shaped clockwork device embedded into the chest plate of her armor starts whirring and humming lightly. She taps on it a few times and it stops.

Edge
2021-10-08, 06:35 PM
Katya looks between Jessa and Lyarra, her eyes still carrying that critical edge to them, still assessing them, getting their measure.

"Katya Embercrown, corporal in the palace guard," she says curtly. "A pleasure to meet you all," she adds, more out of politeness than sincerity. "And while I appreciate the enthusiastic offer of taking up a throne I have no desire of sitting on, I doubt you have any more experience or education in ruling a nation than I do. Do I have leadership skills? On the small scale, yes. A regiment of soldiers I can handle. A nation is another matter entirely. At least, on my own."

Lentrax
2021-10-08, 06:42 PM
Only in the mind. Selyena says, speaking for the second time.

The only difference in the scope of the rule is how many lives it affects. But the actual abilities are little different. You command one or the other, what does it matter whether the one you issue orders to is a General, instead of a Sergeant?

JNAProductions
2021-10-08, 08:00 PM
"A difference of degree, if not principle. But degree makes all the difference-Katya is an excellent leader of our guards and soldiery, but to lead the whole nation... No," Velguardr says. "She is not prepared to do so on her own at this moment."

They continue, saying "The most pressing matter is what to do with the death of your father-how will we tell the people?"

Lentrax
2021-10-08, 08:54 PM
An announcement of some kind. Straight and to the point. The real question is what we tell of what happened. They will wonder why it is us and not other members of the Royal family or a new king.

Starbin
2021-10-09, 02:07 AM

Jessa smiled at Lyarra. She let the other girl continue to shake her hend for a few moments, then gently brought it to a stop as she paused to stare at her. ”It is a pleasure to meet you Lyarra ... sister. But we will not shake hands like strangers meeting for the first time.” Jessa pulled the other woman in for a tight, but pleasant, hug.

Turning back to Katya, she listened to the guardswoman’s comments and back-and-forth with the other woman. When there was an appropriate pause, the young lady raised her hand.

"Sister Katya, greetings and salutations. I imagine we’ve all had some measure of leadership thrust upon us. I presume someone in the past has been thrust into leadership before they were prepared. This cannot be without precedence. Would we not be better choices than some poor, unprepared child born at the wrong time? What if the heir was only a child?"
OOC - RP
Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1 on
Ki 4pt / rest
Detect magic / Disguise self 0/1 ea / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Edge
2021-10-09, 05:49 AM
Katya nods in response to Jessa

"Hmm. If the heir was a child, I imagine a regent would handle the actual act of ruling until they came of age," she says. "Perhaps that is the tack we should take. Form a regency council to provide governance whilst the nobles come to their decision. I can't imagine they'll be quick to reach a decision, with each house trying to see itself onto the throne. We use what time they give us to find our own candidate to put forward as successor, and try and build support and backing for them. We follow the proceedure, and let it work for us. There's no sense rushing in to try and put one of us, or someone else, on the throne without the backing of at least some of the nobility. Our bastardry and inexperience would make it all too easy for them to decry our legitimacy."

Katya strokes her chin thoughtfully.

"I feel it may be our best bet. A council of the last of the late king's bloodline, impure though it may be, and his counsellor to see the naiton through these uncertain times. At least until the nobles cease squabbling."

JNAProductions
2021-10-09, 10:15 AM
Velguardr nods. "It seems a good course of action. I will summon the lawfolk and a speechwriter, so we can carefully plan our words." They head out, leaving you alone for a few minutes.

Couple of things:

1) I'll let y'all decide whether you want to continue in real-time here, RPing a little more, or if you want to skip ahead.
2) If you do want to skip ahead, lemme know here or in the OOC, and I'll summarize the applicable laws in broad terms.
3) I never did describe what Velgaurdr looks like. They're an androgynous humanoid, of undetermined race. Very mysterious-looking, hard to pin down details on their heritage. They don't look too old, more a healthy middle-aged. They have a long scar across their face, going directly through their missing eye. They also, as you've observed from the times they came to visit you and when you've met with them before, are incredibly good at blending into the background. Not turning invisible or anything, just not being noticed very much.

Starbin
2021-10-11, 12:30 AM

Jessa nodded, almost to herself as both Katya and the major doom came to an agreement. She glanced to the two others - Lyarra and one who was obviously a fellow practitioner ... albeit a different tradition. ”What say you, Lyarra? Are you willing to set aside your claim in order to govern as a council until the rightful heir can be found?

And you, unnamed sister, aside from helping craft the message, do you agree with this course of action?”
OOC - making sure we’re in lock step.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Lentrax
2021-10-11, 08:40 AM
Action is often better than inaction. And it is better to take the initiative to prevent things from descending into chaos. I will do what I can for the people, but the wheel will turn. We will all end where we are supposed to be, as is the way of nature. So let us continue and do what we can, what we must, what will be.

And I am known in this place as Selyena.

NiKkatsu
2021-10-11, 11:14 AM

Lyarra was moved by her sister's kindness and she held on tight during the embrace. Then, when Jessa asked her about the council and retracting her offer to rule she answered: 'But of course. I'm not certain I'm actually fit to rule by myself... I was just trying to fit in. Doing it together sounds even better.' She c ocks her head to one side and taps her chin with a finger, thinking: 'But... wouldn't it be even wiser if we tried to figure out what happened to fa- I mean, to the king? Investigating, fighting bad guys - now that's something I'm good at!'
Then, to Selyena: 'You are known in this place as Selyena? Perhaps I should find you a nickname... I don't really know you yet, so it can't be anything too personal. I guess something easy to start! How about Yena? Sounds cute.' She smiles.

Edge
2021-10-11, 11:31 AM
Katya gives curt nods of approval to her sisters, though she looks askance somewhat at Selyena's apparent willingness to accept their fate.

"Lyarra makes a fair point. If we can find and apprehend the one behind the bloodcurse, and bring them to justice, it may serve to lend some credence to our choice of successor, and serve to improve their chances," she says. "Were it up to me, I'd simply execute them once they're brought to light, but a full trial might serve to further legitimise our temporary authority, and our candidate's claim. And give the people a chance to see justice brought."

Starbin
2021-10-11, 12:27 PM

Jessa nodded, noting Selyena's predeterminant perspective. She added, "I suppose action or inaction means little if we are predestined for a path, since we will act as fast or as slow as we were meant to. But that is a philosophical discussion for later. I am pleased to know your name, Sister."

She smiled at Lyarra's enthusiasm, wondering idly if it would ever crack the aura of duty Katya wore like plate mail. Only time would tell. Aloud, she added her thoughts. "Agreed - an excellent point. The why may be just as important to the what next as anything. I presume the King had royal physicians and mages ... have they been asked to look into the deaths? Where were all of the line of Tempor when they died, in bed or elsewhere? I think we have several more questions we can ask.

But if we are investigating the murder - which I presume is not a part-time distraction - who will be running the kingdom? It may be difficult to do both ..."
OOC - I'm ready to move on whenever. Figured I'd throw my two or three cents in here.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-10-11, 12:36 PM
Velguardr returns, bringing with a small retinue of servants. "Pinly, lawyer," they say, introducing a rather pudgy gnomish man. "Kirn, speechwriter," they say, introducing a willowy elven woman. "And Leo, another speechwriter," they say, introducing the last of the people, an ordinary-sized human man.

Pinly is the first to talk. "Right-as Velguardr said he mentioned, technically we aren't supposed to have a group of rulers at all. Because you are all Tempors-somewhat, at least-we can get away with none of you having primacy. Should you decide to give primacy to one of yourselves, it may make the case more ironclad against legal challenges mounted by noble families-"

"But, with luck, we can stave those off by ruling well," Velguardr cuts him off. "If the people have broad support of you all, they're unlikely to make themselves disliked by trying to dethrone you."

Leo talks next, saying "Now, as for addressing the people... We can make summons for a majority of the people in Altenheim proper, and announce to them, as well as gathering leaders and speakers from the surrounding villages and towns. I believe it to be best to delay until we can get everyone here."

Kirn disagrees, saying "No. We should let the people know as soon as possible-they deserve to know."

Lentrax
2021-10-11, 07:28 PM
Let them know why we call them. Do not give them the details. We will do that in person.

Edge
2021-10-13, 06:48 AM
Katya looks at Selyena and narrows her eyes slightly.

"My concern is that providing only the barest details in the summons could lead to unrest and chaos," she says, before looking to Leo and Kirn. "Likewise, I worry that overly delaying the announcement could make it appear as though we have something to hide, and potentially implicate us in our father's death. The king and all his legitimate heirs die, and his illegitimate offspring don't announce such until they have set themselves up in a position of power?"

She shakes her head.

"It will sit poorly with the people, and most likely outrage the nobility. I would push for an announcement sooner rather than later, and let runners carry our announcement beyond the city proper. Moving quickly might also catch the culprit off-guard. They might expect us to take time to mourn and solidify our hold on power first."

Starbin
2021-10-13, 10:36 AM

Continued discussions about the investigation were interrupted by the arrival of two speech writers and a lawyer. She nodded to all three, introducing herself simply as Jessa.
After some back and forth, Jessa added some additional thoughts. "First, Pinly's comments seem important. Should we give one of us primacy so folks don't fight a council? Or rotate?

Second, as our sister Selyena said earlier, taking the initiative is probably the best plan. I agree with Katya, and feel that spreading the word sooner, and honestly, is best. However, are there any trusted counselors the King had who we should tell first? Aside from those in this room, of course.

For the message to the people, I would think messages and town criers would work best. These smart writers should be able to explain what has happened ... but maybe we don't go say that all heirs are gone, but say we are looking for the legal heir."
OOC - Adding some thoughts
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Lentrax
2021-10-13, 03:11 PM
I would caution against revealing too much too soon. Just as announcing too little may bring chaos, saying too much may lead to unfavorable action. Those with anger and gilded tongues may turn the announcements into declarations against the enemies they seek judgement against. That could just as easily tear this nation apart in countless little wars, when what is needed is to seek to a balance, that we may direct all in the proper course.

NiKkatsu
2021-10-13, 04:36 PM

Lyarra was lost in thought while the others were talking. Oh! she was listening, but she was considering everything they were saying and, once again, was a little confused by it all.
Suddenly, she emerges from her pondering and, finger raised matter-of-factly says:
'Nobles are going to squabble and backstab and plot - that's what they do and there isn't much we can do about that. But, at least on the surface, they need to respect the wishes of the people... Let's not overthink it and start from there: we need to make it appear as though we are worthy to step in and lead in our father's place - we need the people to like us. Hmm.. Velguardr.. is there anything that needs fixing? I don't know.. a public enemy to be caught or a monster to be fought? If we can gain support from the commoners by our actions then they should adopt us... easier-ly?'
She scratches her head at that last word: 'More easily? Anyways, it should be easier to gain their support - I think. On top of that, we have lawmakers and speechwriters and fancy speakers and whatnot.. let's use propi-ganda! People already love heroes and princesses so what if we give them... hero princesses!' She is beaming now, convinced she had the best idea ever.

JNAProductions
2021-10-13, 06:28 PM
Velguardr ponders a moment. "Your father ruled well, but certainly not perfectly. With that said... Were there to have been immediate, pressing concerns that had to be addressed, we would've been addressing them. The main issue I foresee, that the common person would be expected to know about, would be the potential of invasion given our weakness. That too might serve to keep the noble families in line. Harkonnen, to the south, is ever-vigilant for their next conquest. They've sent raids to us before, but nothing that couldn't be covered up. Still, those who live on our southern edge are all too familiar with the threat that hands over them."

If you'd like to suggest issues that could be cleaned up, do so in the OOC and I'll let you know whether or not that'd make sense to say IC.

Starbin
2021-10-18, 02:48 PM

Jessa simply shrugged at the continued debate. "Tell them what you will, but we should be forthright in the major issues - the King and many of his kin are dead. We are securing the kingdom for now as we search for his rightful heir. Then perhaps we can focus on finding out what happened to the man and his children, and why we survived. That is the 'mission' we must complete."
OOC - Moar thoughts
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-10-19, 05:57 AM
With some time spent workshopping the exact message, you decide to announce to the people that the royal family is mostly dead, save for you four, and that you are looking for those who did the deed.

Kirn and Leo start disseminating the speeches as the night goes on, while you, having had a long day, retire to your temporary chambers in the palace. The exact living arrangements are still being worked on for most of you, but what you have now is perfectly usable.

Come morning, you awaken early, as is custom for most of you. You find one another, and are approached by a matronly-looking servant, an older human woman. "Your, erm, highnesses?" she says, not entirely sure how to address you. "The criers have begun to spread the word. We expect to have people coming to the palace soon, for condolences and questions. And... I'm sorry for your loss, your highnesses. I remember when I lost my parents-it wasn't easy. I can't imagine how bad you must feel right now."

Lentrax
2021-10-19, 10:24 AM
Selyena awakens before dawn, as is her custom. She finds a place where she can quietly meditate as the sun begins to rise, cleansing the world for another day. She then eats a simple meal of rice and water, and goes to find the others, her staff jingling as she walks.

Good morning, sisters. I hope the morning finds you all well?

Starbin
2021-10-19, 02:47 PM

Jessa rose early the next morning, using the time to perform her katas and prayers before cleaning herself up. The room had served adequately, but Jessa was worried she had displaced some poor servant. She cleaned up behind herself as best she could, disturbing as little as possible. Joining the others, she nodded to them, greeting them with a simple "Good morning, sisters." This morning, the others were witness to a huge woman crouching down to enter, her face and skin the same, but much larger than the day before. She nodded to Selyena's question, sitting down on the floor against a wall, trying to stay out of everyone's way. She knew she had to show the others her true self at some point, and this was as good a time as any.

When the older woman entered and began to speak, she frowned slightly. "To be honest, I am not certain I have any feelings yet - it has been a blur. I am sorry for the loss of life, of course, but loss of a father? Not to be rude to anyone here, but I never actually had one. I know he is my father by blood, but I only met him once, perhaps twice - too short a time to form any attachment, or feel any great loss.

What of you all?"
OOC - Jessa stands over 7' now, her firbolg ancestry more pronounced today.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Lentrax
2021-10-20, 10:24 AM
Suffering is a part of all life. It is the way of everything. It is perfectly normal to not know what to do with our suffering. It must be experienced to be brought to an end.

Starbin
2021-10-20, 10:47 AM

Jessa chuckled at the answer, shaking her head. "You answer in a way that says nothing about how you feel. Are you suffering?"
OOC - RP
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Lentrax
2021-10-20, 10:53 AM
Selyena quirks one eyebrow up. You think not? To live is to suffer. For us all. Just because I have seen the great wheel and seen the turning of the wheel, does that mean I am released from my suffering?

Edge
2021-10-20, 11:12 AM
"All I know," Katya says as she enters the room, looking groggy even though she's already fully dressed in her guard uniform, "Is that all this talk about suffering is giving me a headache. Which is making me suffer."

She rubs the sleep from her eyes with a yawn, and takes in stock of the room properly, blinking several times at the sight of Jessa.

"Am I going mad, or are you much taller than yesterday?"

Lentrax
2021-10-20, 11:16 AM
And has it taught you anything?

Edge
2021-10-20, 11:21 AM
"Yes. It's taught me that simply talking about suffering is much less effective than just doing something about it," Katya says dryly, setting her jaw slightly at Selyena's question. "Speaking of, we should consider trying to find the culprint behind our father and half-siblings' deaths sooner rather than later. And to that end, I had a thought before I fell asleep last night: was the queen caught in the effect of the curse? If so, then it can't have been selecting its targets based on bloodline, since she married into the family."

Lentrax
2021-10-20, 11:26 AM
The eyebrow lifts again. And what would you do about suffering? Would you end it? Do you think you could? Do you think you could lessen anyone's suffering, let alone your own? You see, that is the nature of suffering. All is suffering. Nothing is permanent. All simply is. It constantly changes. Even the happiness from a deed done well, or a goal achieved soon fades, because all is transient. So to speak of suffering is to speak of what is. Not the act of physical pain or emotional aches. But the mere fact of being.

Starbin
2021-10-20, 11:43 AM

The sudden turn to the philosophy of suffering seemed less valuable to Jessa than what Katya had suggested. Aloud, she simply answered her other sister. "Yes and no.
My mother was a firbolg, so I posses many of the abilities of her people. One is to adjust my size for a time, which I did yesterday. I hoped it would help, as my normal size can be off-putting, or distracting.

I think I shall be careful how I ask questions around our sister Selyena in the future. But I agree with you Katya - we should investigate everyone's death." Turning to the matron who had entered, she nodded her head. "Where is the kitchen, so we can make breakfast? And can you get a list of the last known people to attend the royal family?"
OOC - moving forward ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

NiKkatsu
2021-10-20, 06:08 PM

Lyarra is a little late to the party, entering just as Jessa mentions the kitchen. She notices her sister is a lot taller than yesterday, but thinks it would be rude to comment on someone's appearance, and decides not to mention it: 'Goooood morning sisters!' She giggles, because she never got to call anyone sister before and it makes her happy to do so. 'Ouhh! Breakfast, eh? I could definitely go for some of that. I had this crazy dream where I was fighting some strange monster and it made me so hungry!'

JNAProductions
2021-10-21, 10:12 AM
Edge, queen has been dead for about a decade now. Sorry if I didn't make that clear!

The woman nods. "We didn't expect most of you to be up so early, but we can have breakfast made quickly. What would your majesties like?"

You let her know what you've a hankering for, and she heads to the kitchens to have your food prepared. It's not long before those of you who wanted a breakfast are eating well-the food is excellent, and the servers polite, if a little... Unaccustomed to the current situation.

When you're almost done, Velguardr enters the room. "Good morning, your majesties," they say. "If you are ready, we already have a few visitors from the common folk. Currently, there is Joe Hansen, a farmer who was delivering his crops; Svendil Oak, a shopkeep; and Ford, who is still searching for a proper place to live." Velguardr speaks as if they know all these people personally.

Starbin
2021-10-21, 10:47 AM

Jessa looked up from her bowl of oats and small plate of fruits. "Pardon my ignorance, Velguardr, but is this part of a normal routine for the King? Is there a precedence for the King handing over these duties to others?

Have these applicants been here before, and if so what were the previous rulings?"

To her sisters, she simply said, "We will obviously need to prioritize our efforts ..."
OOC - thoughts ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-10-21, 10:54 AM
"Normal? Not so much-but nothing about now is normal at all, really. I can certainly have the task of talking to the people delegated to another, if you wish, but I think it may be best to address the initial few yourselves, at the very least," they say. "It would be good, I think, to show that you are personally invested in the people. Something that sending a servant does not show as well."

Starbin
2021-10-21, 11:04 AM

Jessa nodded. "So have any of these applicants been seen before? If so, what were the previous rulings?"
OOC - thoughts ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-10-21, 01:40 PM
"Joe is not from the city-he lives in a village some distance away. I doubt he knows the proper protocols-in fact, to my knowledge, this is his first time at the palace itself," Velguardr says. "Svendil has had contracts with the palace before-she works with some smithies, and acted as a inbetween agent for us and them. She never spoke with your father directly, but has spoken with me. And Ford... He has been given shelter from inclement weather in the palace before. He has his vices, drugs among them, but is not a bad man. Simply one who has lost his way."

Velguardr clears their throat. "Given their presumed purpose for visiting, there is not much in the way of rulings to apply. They wish to speak to the nobility-it is up to you to grant or deny their wishes."

NiKkatsu
2021-10-21, 06:48 PM

Lyarra was excited to meet the common folk - she had lived among them most of her life, so it wasn't something particularly off putting for her. 'Let me meet Svendil.' She simply replies. 'As a fellow artisan, I'm sure we can find some common ground.'

Lentrax
2021-10-21, 08:09 PM
I do think we should meet them as a whole unit. It makes us in their minds as a unified whole and not a group of individuals who will benefit them if seen separately. We can then defer to those of us who have more experience in any area, but still presents us as a real council who has real authority.

NiKkatsu
2021-10-22, 10:52 AM

' Agreed. Let's do that. Should we meet them all, one by one?.'

Starbin
2021-10-22, 12:35 PM

Jessa agreed with the current flow of the conversation. To the last question, she shrugged. "Again, if there were a pre-existing protocol, I'd suggest we follow that. I like the idea of meeting each one individually, to give them each their due. But it may set a precedent that reversing later might be challenging. But the garnering of good will may be worth the effort. "
OOC - thoughts ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-10-22, 08:34 PM
"One at a time seems reasonable," Velguardr says. "Follow me, your majesties."

They lead you down a few flights, and into a relatively smaller side room. You spotted, briefly, on the way in the three visiting folk. They seemed to spot you as well, and jostle each other a little bit for primacy.

The first one brought in is Ford. He's tall, scarred, and slightly shaking. "Good, uh, morning, your... Um..."

Velguardr prompts "Your majesties."

"Right! Your, uh, majesties," he says. "I know I'm just... Uh, you know. No one. But I did meet your... Your dad, once. He was... Uh, was one of the best men I, um, ever met. He looked at... At me, like I was, uh, you know... Somebody. Not nobody. He cared. And, uh, I wanted to... To ask you to do the same thing." He grimaces, having realized what he said. "I don't, uh, mean for me. I know, I'm, um, not important. But... But, yeah, just... Uh, be care. Care for people. Okay?" He's looking down at his feet by the time he finishes talking, scratching an arm fervently.

Lentrax
2021-10-22, 10:15 PM
Selyena defies all attempts to help her to a seat, and instead sits herself on the floor, her staff resting across the front of her chest. We all have our place. And we may think of ourselves as unimportant, but if we were to remove ourselves from the world around us, we would find those who know us would believe themselves worse off.

As she speaks she crosses her hands at the wrists, and forms circles using her thumbs and middle fingers.

All we can do is to aspire to be ourselves for those around us. In that way, we show that we walk the path to Samsara.

JNAProductions
2021-10-23, 10:19 AM
Ford smiles, just a touch. "That's, uh... That's... Thanks, your majesty."

Starbin
2021-10-23, 10:38 AM

Jessa smiled at the man, even if she was inwardly vexed with Selyena’s response. But perhaps that was the closest to compassion one could expect from the ascetic. ”I think we all agree everyone is someone, even if we have different roles ... whether through fortune or fortitude. I’m am sure all who feed from your bounty would count themselves lucky you are here. What have you brought us, sir?"

She didn’t approach him, worries her size might intimidate the man, but also sat cross legged on the floor to match others heights.
OOC - we probably know very little about how the kingdom operates ... except maybe Katrya?
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Edge
2021-10-26, 07:16 AM
Katya listens to Ford's request with her arms crossed, her face impassive.

"I will not lie to you, Ford. I am not exactly one known for my kindness," she says, her voice even. "But I am known for being fair. And my sisters' softer hearts may serve to dull my harsher edges." she smirks. "And you can trust that we all have the wellbeing of the nation and its people as our highest priority. I, for one, can promise you that is true for my part, at least."

JNAProductions
2021-10-26, 06:57 PM
Ford nods. "So, uh, speaking of kindness... I, um, might not have eaten for a day or, uh, two..."

Velguardr, with a brief glance at you to make sure it's okay, says "Follow me. You can have some stew and whatnot, from our kitchen." They lead Ford out, and Svendil makes her way in after a moment or two.

"Oh, your majesties, I'm so sorry to hear your father passed!" she says. "I can't imagine how distraught you are..." she adds, but looks at all of you. "Or... How stoic you all are. But, regardless, in this time, I do want you to know your family has my fullest support, for whatever that's worth."

Starbin
2021-10-27, 11:11 AM

Jessa nodded solemnly in thanks. ”I think we all appreciate your sentiments. We all mourn in our own ways, and like anyone else, my sisters and I are all different. You're support is appreciated."

The large woman figured there was more to this visit, but she would wait for her to ask it.
OOC - Just a quick response ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

NiKkatsu
2021-10-27, 02:50 PM

Lyarra, who stayed mostly silent during the first visit, stands and walks straight to Svendil, a large smile on her face. 'Hi! I'm Lyarra, one of the princesses - but, I guess you already knew that. Maybe not my name, but, at least that I'm a princess, right?' She follows this first sentence by a titter before adding: 'Um, so... anyways! It's good to meet a fellow artisan! Please, tell me what brings you before us today? We'd be happy to help with anything.'

JNAProductions
2021-10-28, 11:50 AM
Svendil nods. "I understand. And, I would like to know... Well, the criers messages weren't the most detailed," she says. "As you may or may not know, I work with merchants from all over. Is there any particular way I should spread the message? I can't imagine they won't learn soon, but perhaps a word from a friendly contact might set their expectations appropriately."

Lentrax
2021-10-30, 10:17 PM
There is, sadly not much else to share at this point. We will be doing what we can to learn more, but there just isn't anything else right now.

JNAProductions
2021-10-31, 10:43 AM
"I understand. Know that you have my wholehearted support, your majesties. Good luck," she says, and if you indicate she's dismissed, she heads out.

Finally, Joe comes in. "Good morning, your, uh, highness. Highnesses," he says, stumbling over the words a little. "I'm sorry about your father."

When you make clear that you're handling it all very well, he gives a brief smile. "That's good. Can't let the past get you down. But, um, your highnesses. I want to know... My village, is it still gonna be safe? I'm south of your home here, and I... I'm worried about what kinda changes this is gonna bring. Your father wasn't perfect at keeping us safe, and I'm just worried that with everything going topsy-turvy it's gonna get worse."

Lentrax
2021-11-01, 01:25 PM
Troubled times await us all, in the end. And while I cannot speak for us all, I can say that today is only the first day we have had this responsibility. But for you to be here already, you must have had a more pressing need to leave your village to travel here.

Selyena looks up from where she is seated on the floor.

What is your pressing need?

Starbin
2021-11-01, 04:13 PM

Jessa was quiet as Selyena asked her question. It was curious that the man seemed to think their father had not kept his town safe. She wanted to ask Velguardr about the status of threats to the kingdom. It wouldn't do to take over the bureaucracy and not understand all the stressors that existed.
OOC - Nothing else ... unless there's a check we can make to know about the threats?
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Edge
2021-11-01, 04:45 PM
"Threats?" Katya asks, her demeanour becoming even more grave. "What threats are you talking of, Joe? The safety of Altenheim's people is one of our foremost concerns."

Lentrax
2021-11-01, 08:06 PM
Peace, sister. His troubles are our troubles. For we are all one, and all are for one.

JNAProductions
2021-11-02, 11:58 AM
"No, nothing troubling us besides the usual," Joe says. "I was delivering some crops to the city-you know, good harvest, figured I'd trade for something nice for the family. But... Well, like I said, we live south of here, and the Harkonnen are always looking for any excuse to make trouble."

Lentrax
2021-11-02, 02:01 PM
I see. I would not presume to speak for all four of us, but I can at least say that I will bear your words, and suspicions, in mind as we acquaint ourselves with the nation’s operating.

We are not our father, the king. As you can see we all come from differing backgrounds. But just as disparate and dissonant chords can produce enchanting music, so too, can we create a harmony for us all.

Starbin
2021-11-02, 02:11 PM

Jessa raised an eyebrow. "Perhaps the question asked a little differently. Why or how did you feel the King failed to support your village adequately? Whether against the Harkonnen or other threats? We cannot help protect or make amends if we do not understand your concerns or grievances ..."
OOC - Adding some thoughts to the convo. PS - what do we know about the threats to Joe's village? How about the Harkonnen?
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-11-04, 10:36 AM
"Well, I mean, we're just a little farming village. I get that the military isn't endless," he says. "And I'm not the smartest man. I don't know if it'd be better to just go to war and get rid of whoever in Harkonnen is in charge of attacking us, or if that'd just make everything worse. My grandpa, bless his heart, used to have war stories-they didn't sound good. Not at all. But, our village itself never got attacked. We'd just sometimes have crops destroyed, or cattle stolen, or whatnot like that."

Lentrax
2021-11-04, 08:12 PM
As I said, we have only had a day thus far, and I can make no promises. There is much for us to do, but perhaps we can increase a guard presence in your district.

JNAProductions
2021-11-04, 08:53 PM
Joe nods. "I appreciate it, your majesties. I should probably head back out now-got my payment for all the grain and whatnot, so now just gotta pick out some gifts for the family."

Lentrax
2021-11-07, 07:04 PM
Selyena presses her hands together, and bows her head over them.

May you find joy in this day, and every day to come.

Starbin
2021-11-08, 03:48 PM

Jessa leaned back after the last person left, sipping on a flask of water. "So we have seen supplicants. Now what? Velguardr, what was a day in the life of the King like? Are there planning sessions for the public wellbeing? Strategy sessions reguarding defense of the nation? Or should we turn to investigating our father and half-siblings deaths?"
OOC - Just a push for ideas ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-11-09, 01:17 PM
Velguardr, who has returned by now, says "Your father would often be bothered by nobles, though they like to sleep in. He would awaken early as well, to attend to the necessities of the day. In the past few years, those have been few and far between-we have been at a relative peace for long enough, and he was old enough, that he felt he could take it easy. The day-to-day running of the kingdom can be left to the bureaucracy. Your father rarely handed edicts down, instead charting a general course and trusting the mechanisms of government to see it through."

I would say there are three major courses you can embark on-if you think of another, lemme know.

1) Handling the home problems-specifically, consolidating power against the nobility.
2) Investigating the death curse.
3) Protecting the kingdom against Harkonnen, for whenever they catch wind of the vulnerability.

Starbin
2021-11-11, 04:00 PM

Jessa nodded, pondering the information for a moment before she turned to her sisters. "Then perhaps we have time to try and solve the murders of the royal family.
If one of the other noble families are involved, perhaps our investigations will identify them, and thus provide guidance for consolidation of the crown. In the meantime, Velguardr could keep an eye on the situation at the border and anything else, and alert us if there is a need for our attention."

She paused, then added, "If anyone has concerns with focusing all of our attention on the mystery, I suppose we could divide and conquer. However, I'm not sure if I am suited to political battles, and I definitely do not have the military background that Katya has. And I think four minds will be better than one to solve the crime.

What do you think?"
OOC - putting it into IC.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Lentrax
2021-11-11, 07:21 PM
I am fine investigating. I have no objection to aiding with the daily running of the kingdom. But I must say that we cannot avoid running affairs. The responsibility has become ours and to shirk it would only cause problems.

Starbin
2021-11-16, 02:38 PM

Jessa sighed inwardly, but nodded outwardly. "So if we are decided to investigate the murders, there is something that has been bothering me. based on the symptoms we heard described, I do not think the blood curse was divinely inspired. It just doesn't ... smell right." The large woman scrunched her nose before shaking her head and continuing on. "It feels like mortal arcana, albeit it very powerful. An interesting side note is that the Harkonnens are known for their anti-religious tendencies. Given on-going strains between our two nations, I suppose it would not be outside the realm of the possible for the Harkonnens to be involved. But it's just a loose supposition."
OOC - If we're moving into Scooby Gang mode, we might want to check bodies, chat with healers, witnesses etc ...
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-11-17, 12:03 PM
Velguardr, who has rejoined you by now, nods. "I would not be surprised that they wished your father and family dead-though how they would have managed this feat, I know not."

Starbin
2021-11-22, 04:17 PM

Jessa nodded again. "Perhaps we check the bodies first, talk with the physician? Or do you all prefer to question those that found the King and the rest of the family?" Jessa was uncertain what to do next, but it felt better to be doing something over nothing.
OOC - Not sure if you want to wait a bit to proceed ... figured I'd throw down something to try.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

Edge
2021-11-22, 06:09 PM
"I am all for speaking to the physician and examining the bodies," Katya nods. "I feel like having that knowledge before speaking to those who found the bodies might help us notice anything awry with their testimony."

JNAProductions
2021-11-24, 10:19 PM
You ask Velguardr to summon the priest, the physician, and the person who discovered the body. They are, in order, High Priest of the Noble Hierarchy, Sigma; Doctor Vink; and a servant by the name of Banta, who generally works overnight. Sigma is an aasimar, Vink is a gnome, and Banta a beastfolk; all men.

The first to arrive is Banta. He's tall, about 6'6", and owlish in appearance. He fidgets, nervous. "I, uh, your majesties. What need do you have of me?"

You tell him to recount the events of that night. "Right. Right," he says. "Your father sometimes woke up around midnight or so-just aching bones or whatnot. I'd check in on the guards and him when I finished some cleaning duties-you know, when I had the chance to do so without interrupting other tasks, see if he needed a hot pad or anything. I arrived... I don't know exactly when. I'm sorry, I really don't-I had been inside and couldn't see the moon or stars. I went to the door, and there was a thud. The guards and I were a bit alarmed, so I went in. The king has fallen out of the bed, and wasn't moving. I... I confess, I panicked. I ran out to the guards, and said something about 'The king's hurt! I don't know if he's breathing!' One of the guards went in to try to help the king, the other went to get a proper medic. They told me to stay put and not move an inch. I just sat outside the room, until the guard came back with... Um, the doctor, whatever his name is. And some other soldiers. One of the soldiers took me to a small room, and held me there until morning, when they let me go. I don't really know anything else."

Edge
2021-11-30, 11:36 AM
"Thank you for speaking with us, Banta," Katya nods, "But if you could tell us: when you last spoke to the king, did he appear well?"

JNAProductions
2021-11-30, 10:33 PM
Banta looks unsure. "I think so? He's not very talkative at night like that-groggy and sleepy and just... You know. But he seemed fine, the night before."

Starbin
2021-12-01, 05:45 PM

Jessa listened closely, keeping her face noticeably neutral. "So you came by when he fell from bed and went in to check on him, but he was already unresponsive?" Jessa wondered about the coincidental timing, as well as why the guards would let the servant rush in if they suspected something was wrong.
OOC - I suppose an insight check? [roll0], to see if he's being truthful

EDIT: Well damn. What an auspicious start.
Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest

JNAProductions
2021-12-01, 11:30 PM
He's being truthful with you.

"I think so? I mean, I don't think so-he wasn't responsive, that is," Banta says. "I'm not a doctor or anything, but as far as I could tell... he wasn't alive."

Starbin
2021-12-03, 01:12 PM

Jessa nodded and leaned back to let the others ask any questions. It was clear to her the man was shaken by events, but telling the truth as best he remembered them.
OOC - Haha ...

Ki 4pt / rest
Hidden step 1 / rest