PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Ranged Barbarian Optional Features

Garfunion
2021-10-08, 12:05 AM
I’ve been looking at the Barbarian as an alternative option for a spell-less ranger.
Many of the barbarian archetypes are still usable with ranged weapons.

Brutal Bow(optional)
This 2nd-level feature replaces the Reckless Attack feature and works with the Brutal Bow feature. You gain no benefit from the replaced feature and don't qualify for anything in the game that requires it.

You may use your strength modifier instead of your dexterity modifier for any ranged attack and damage rolls you make with a shortbow. While raging you may add your rage damage bonus to the damage roll of your shortbow.

Precision Critical(optional)
This 9th-level feature replaces the Brutal Critical feature and works with the Precision Critical feature. You gain no benefit from the replaced feature and don't qualify for anything in the game that requires it.

You can roll one additional weapon damage die when determining the extra damage for a critical hit with a ranged attack using a shortbow.

This increases to two additional dice at 13th level and three additional dice at 17th level.

Kane0
2021-10-08, 04:40 AM
Sounds interesting!

Why shortbows specifically? I don't think there would be a problem with longbows or even slings and blowguns. Crossbows might feel a bit funny but we already have Cha and Int as options with Warlocks and Artificers respectively, and you'd still want the feat or a friendly artificer to get around the loading.

Garfunion
2021-10-08, 06:36 AM
Sounds interesting!

Why shortbows specifically?
1st. I hate longbows as an adventuring weapon, they are a lot bigger than most people think, and the majority of bows that are used in movies are shortbow. Unless it is a huge battle scene where you have all the archers line up to fire a volley.
2nd. Shortbow would also be made of composite material requiring a bit more strength to pull the string back.

I don't think there would be a problem with longbows or even slings and blowguns. Crossbows might feel a bit funny but we already have Cha and Int as options with Warlocks and Artificers respectively, and you'd still want the feat or a friendly artificer to get around the loading.

While slings and longbow can work with a strength ability, they just don’t have the fantasy that I see. Blowguns and crossbows don’t really require strength to use them (you can use a crack to load a crossbow).

The way these optional features are worded, the barbarian can obviously still use dexterity for their shortbow attacks and damage. It is already assumed that a barbarian will have at least a 14 in their dexterity to maximize their medium armor used or higher for their unarmored defense.

Simply put I chose the shortbow because it fits the fantasy that I like. In the same vision on why the Arcane Archer can’t use crossbows with their class feature.

Side note: I didn’t want to give the barbarian too much range with their class and archetype features.

Kane0
2021-10-08, 07:17 AM
They just don’t have the fantasy that I see.

Ah, fair enough. Fantasy-first design is fine for tailoring to suit your particular game and tastes, just remember that others here critiquing wont necessarily share that specific fantasy.

Side note: I didn’t want to give the barbarian too much range with their class and archetype features.
Ah nah I wouldnt worry about it.

Garfunion
2021-10-09, 12:44 AM
Seems like no one is that interested in a ranged weapon barbarian or the focused right now is 5.5 edition.

Saelethil
2021-10-09, 02:17 PM
Seems like no one is that interested in a ranged weapon barbarian or the focused right now is 5.5 edition.

I think it’s probably more of the latter which is unfortunate since we likely won’t be seeing any official play test for the new addition for another couple years. As for interest in a ranged Barbarian, I don’t dislike the concept I just feel like the features you suggested here could probably just be baked into the base Barbarian on top of what they already get without it breaking much.