PDA

View Full Version : Are there good whip characters? Plasmoid Characters?

Khrysaes
2021-10-11, 05:26 AM
With the new UA Travellers of the Multiverse, I am loving the idea of the Plasmoids.

To that end I have been trying to make one or maybe a thousand character ideas that use it as a race.

So far I have thought of using

Druid to wild shape, but describing the shaping as an extension of shape self, so ooze animals.

An Astral Self Monk, but describing the arms as an extension of shape self, so ooze arms

A Warlock, using Mask of Many faces on top of shape self for discount changeling actions. This also works great with the Fathomless or GOO patrons, and pact of blades, describing the weapons as an extension of shape self, so ooze weapons. I say discount, but it is more costly.

An Aberration Sorcerer, because psychic oozes.

An Alchemist Artificer, using yourself as a brewery/alchemical mixer. the plasmoid could be a potion that gained sentience.

An Armorer Artificer, ooze in power armor.

That said, I thought about using a whip, but describing it as an ooze whip from my body, much like the blade warlock idea.

That said, what whip builds exist? I think there are several for using rogue sneak attack and/or a spell sniper+booming blade

Waazraath
2021-10-11, 06:00 AM
That said, what whip builds exist? I think there are several for using rogue sneak attack and/or a spell sniper+booming blade

I did one for the throwdown challenge #8 - https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?619776-5e-Throwdowns-8-Boulevard-of-Broken-Dreams&p=24743054&viewfull=1#post24743054

But I think that with the changes to the (former) SCAG-cantrips in Tasha's, they don't work with spell sniper anymore =/

Andrwrwn
2021-10-11, 06:31 AM
Conquest paladin.
Wrathful Smite can lock enemies in place without going in normal melee range and while wielding a shield. Same goes for Form of Dread if you take a one level Undead warlock dip.

Unoriginal
2021-10-11, 07:35 AM
Having a whip as a Monk's dedicated weapon can also work, but you need whip proficiency from somewhere else.

Joe the Rat
2021-10-11, 08:12 AM
If you aren't specifically running Astral, Kensei gets you the whip. Otherwise a one-level MWP dip (Fighter or one of the Martial Clerics are my preferences) has you covered.

Me? Plasmoid Bard. Star Frontiers Dralasites had a reputation for puns and a horrible taste in humor. Why not weaponize that? Pity they don't get whip proficiency any more.