PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Lost Scrolls

Palanan
2021-10-11, 02:05 PM
Say that you’ve read a text many years ago, but you now only have a dim recollection to work with.

Is there a spell that could serve as a memory enhancer, allowing you to recall the text perfectly, as if you could see it before you again?

Biggus
2021-10-11, 02:31 PM
All that comes to mind is having someone cast Probe Thoughts (SpC p.162) on you, that gives you access to "all of the subject’s memories and knowledge [...] ranging from memories deep below the surface to those still easily called to mind".

loky1109
2021-10-11, 02:42 PM
All that comes to mind is having someone cast Probe Thoughts (SpC p.162) on you, that gives you access to "all of the subject’s memories and knowledge [...] ranging from memories deep below the surface to those still easily called to mind".
Nothing prevents casting this spell on self.

Thurbane
2021-10-11, 05:02 PM
Absorb Mind might also work, but it involves the target being dead, and consuming part of it's brain It also only has a 25% success rate for any specific memory.

Biggus
2021-10-11, 05:23 PM
Nothing prevents casting this spell on self.

I dunno, it says "you pose the questions telepathically", pretty sure you can't be telepathic with yourself.

loky1109
2021-10-11, 05:28 PM
I dunno, it says "you pose the questions telepathically", pretty sure you can't be telepathic with yourself.
Why can't???
Target is "one living creature". There aren't any exceptions for caster.

Vaern
2021-10-11, 06:07 PM
I mean, thinking to yourself is technically communicating telepathically with yourself. I do that all the time without having to use magic.

Biggus
2021-10-12, 12:28 PM
Why can't???
Target is "one living creature". There aren't any exceptions for caster.

Because the definition of telepathic is "capable of transmitting thoughts to other people and of knowing their thoughts". The mention of posing questions telepathically is part of the rules text.

I mean, thinking to yourself is technically communicating telepathically with yourself. I do that all the time without having to use magic.

:biggrin:

loky1109
2021-10-12, 01:00 PM
Because the definition of telepathic is "capable of transmitting thoughts to other people and of knowing their thoughts". The mention of posing questions telepathically is part of the rules text.
:biggrin:
This is very bad, very limited definition.

Palanan
2021-10-12, 01:36 PM
For my purposes, the telepathic approach probably won't be helpful to me.

It sounds like there isn't a spell that does exactly what I'm asking in the OP. If I were to work one up, about what level would be appropriate? I'm guessing a second-level spell, but that's very much a guess.

Tzardok
2021-10-12, 01:40 PM
I remember a similiar spell, but I've forgotten the name. It allows you to "imprint" something you read into your mind which you can later perfectly recall. I think it's closest to what you want.

Thurbane
2021-10-12, 05:18 PM
The Autohypnosis skill could also help, but not much use retrospectively.

There's a psionic power that kind of fits (well fluff wise, not mechanically): Call to Mind "By meditating on a subject, you can recall natural memories and knowledge otherwise inaccessible to you. "

Fouredged Sword
2021-10-12, 06:40 PM
If you require magic... well, I am pretty sure you can mindrape yourself.

RNightstalker
2021-10-12, 08:09 PM

I'm so glad I hopped back on to see that comment! lol

As to the OP, the human mind is capable of perfect recall, though only 1 in 50,000,000 or so are actually able to do it. It shouldn't be hard to make a spell for that. Heck now that I think of it there's a skill trick in Complete Scoundrel that helps with memory recollection.

Vaern
2021-10-13, 07:19 AM
One function of Modify Memory allows the subject to recall an event it experienced with perfect clarity. It only works in 5 minute increments, but it's low enough level to put on a wand. Targets one living creature, so it should be castable on self.

Fouredged Sword
2021-10-13, 08:16 AM
One function of Modify Memory allows the subject to recall an event it experienced with perfect clarity. It only works in 5 minute increments, but it's low enough level to put on a wand. Targets one living creature, so it should be castable on self.

Or if the DM forbids that, have someone else UMD to cast it on you and then use a second charge to read their memory of your memory.