PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Is there any way for an undead paladin to self-heal?

MonkeySage
2021-10-12, 12:29 AM
I apparently wouldn't be able to Lay on hands myself, because Lay on Hands doesn't work on undead, such as Revenants. Cure Spells are out, and inflict spells apparently don't heal undead in 5e either- not that I could cast any with Oath of Vengeance...

Greywander
2021-10-12, 12:33 AM
It's been a while since I looked up the list of healing abilities that work on undead. Off the top of my head: resting always works, healing potions, Goodberry, Regenerate, uh... That's all I can think of. I'm sure there's more. Sadly, most of these aren't available to paladins, aside from resting and potions. Oh, Healer feat works, too.

When I wrote up an undead race, I initially tried to balance out this disadvantage by giving them a self-heal, but then decided to go the other way and embrace the lack of healing. Instead, they have an ability that auto-stabilizes them at 0 HP, with a few specific ways to actually kill them. So it's hard to heal, but hard to actually die, so even if you go down you just get back up 1d4 hours later.

stoutstien
2021-10-12, 04:44 AM
I apparently wouldn't be able to Lay on hands myself, because Lay on Hands doesn't work on undead, such as Revenants. Cure Spells are out, and inflict spells apparently don't heal undead in 5e either- not that I could cast any with Oath of Vengeance...

Not all spells are excluded so you can use AoV and such to heal undead.