PDA

View Full Version : Amy Lee totally rocks!

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 03:06 AM
I just got back from the Evanescence concert and must say;

Amy Lee, you still rock my world!

Words just cannot describe how awesome of a singer she is. I just spent two hours basking in her presence and watching her turn an entire audience into a quivering mass of adoration.

Only bad part about the evening was the opening band. Julien K sucks.

Kaelaroth
2007-11-17, 04:27 AM
I'm not entirely sure who Julien K are (:smallredface:), but from your post that seems like a good thing!

And, yes, Amy Lee is an awesome singer. Awesomeness flows off her. :smallsmile:

And damn you for getting to go to an Evanescence concert!

warty goblin
2007-11-17, 11:34 AM
Truly, and I am inexpressably jealous that you got to go see her in concert.
*listens to My Immortal again*

Occasional Sage
2007-11-17, 11:38 AM
Truly, and I am inexpressably jealous that you got to go see her in concert.
*listens to My Immortal again*

Good song! My go-to is "Field of Innocence" from Origin.

EDIT TO ADD CONCERT EXPERIENCE: During the Fallen tour, her band convinced her to do a Metallica cover even though she doesn't like them much. She sang from a lyric cheat-sheet with no embarrassment... at least, not until she sang the same line twice and flubbed the song. She collapsed into giggles and the rest of the band played on for a few measures before losing it too.

zeratul
2007-11-17, 11:41 AM
Ever since she wrote and published "call me when you're sober", and told everyone it was about Shaun Morgan from seether, my respect for her has plummeted. (not to say I had alot for her before then though.)

Midnight Son
2007-11-17, 12:49 PM
Good song! My go-to is "Field of Innocence" from Origin.

EDIT TO ADD CONCERT EXPERIENCE: During the Fallen tour, her band convinced her to do a Metallica cover even though she doesn't like them much. She sang from a lyric cheat-sheet with no embarrassment... at least, not until she sang the same line twice and flubbed the song. She collapsed into giggles and the rest of the band played on for a few measures before losing it too.That's awesome!

I caught her during the Fallen tour as well(pre-Ben leaving). At one point, he was having equipment troubles, so they stopped the concert while the technicians did their thing. It only took about five minutes, but I was impressed that, instead of just sitting there and waiting, she started up some banter with the audience. Girl has quite the comedic touch.

As for my go to song; probably Imaginary, though it really is hard to choose. Sweet Sacrifice, My Immortal, Tourniquet, Farther Away, and Breathe No More are also in every playlist I make. Imaginary is the one I use to annoy everyone when someone calls me, though. Evanescence ring tones FTW.

Hannes
2007-11-17, 04:17 PM
-shifty eyes-
Pssh. I like her singing too.

-vanishes before someone brands him...something-

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-17, 04:20 PM
She's one of those artists whose ability I respect, but I can't really get into her music. I mean, Evanescence's first couple albums were cool for a month or so in high school, I guess, but they're not my preferred style. Amy Lee is a skilled singer, though.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-17, 04:24 PM
Amy Lee has a great voice, but I have seen Nina Hagen sing live. All other voices are as the empty echoes of her glory.

Dihan
2007-11-17, 05:27 PM
I personally prefer Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation to Amy Lee.

AslanCross
2007-11-17, 05:39 PM
I personally prefer Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation to Amy Lee.

QFT. Amy Lee is good, but I like Sharon's style more. I just got into Within Temptation a couple of months ago. They're awesome.

Dihan
2007-11-17, 05:47 PM
QFT. Amy Lee is good, but I like Sharon's style more. I just got into Within Temptation a couple of months ago. They're awesome.

Just listen to her voice in songs such as Somewhere or Angels. Amazing.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-17, 11:20 PM
I deny Amy Lee's existence. No single human cannot sing like that. She is clearly 38 cyborg angels wearing a very clever disguise.

Midnight Son
2007-11-18, 03:06 AM
Amy Lee has a great voice, but I have seen Nina Hagen sing live. All other voices are as the empty echoes of her glory.Please tell me you're kidding. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CST7XOxw4Dk&feature=related)

I personally prefer Sharon den Adel of Within Temptation to Amy Lee.They are very good, and I am definitely picking up some of their stuff, but her voice is still nowhere near as good as Amy's. 'Course, that's my opinion, but this is my thread and I made it to express my adoration of an incredible singer, so you'll forgive me if I defend her.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-18, 03:15 AM
I deny Amy Lee's existence. No single human cannot sing like that. She is clearly 38 cyborg angels wearing a very clever disguise.

What a twist!

I caught Evanescence a while back while on tour for The Open Door. While it was a good show and very fun, I was stuck in the less than exciteful section of stands. I was the only one who got out of thier seat during the whole thing. :smallannoyed:

But on the plus side, it introduced me to The Black Maria.

hanzo66
2007-11-18, 03:39 AM
She's certainly got an amazingly beautiful voice (as Surly noted, perhaps TOO beautiful). Liked the Fallen album. Haven't listened to them much since.

Burgo McSock
2007-11-19, 06:42 AM
She certainly is a good singer. I have only really gotten into fallen, I feel some of their new stuff lacks something since Ben left, I don't know why...

ForzaFiori
2007-11-19, 06:57 AM
i gotta agree with the other's who say that she has an excellent voice, but her music just isn't my style.

Catch
2007-11-19, 07:44 AM
The girl has a great voice, no doubt. 'Cept I like Tarja Turunen better. Well, back when she was with Nightwish.

Anyway, the lyrics Amy writes, they sound like they were penned by a 14 year old girl. I just can't listen to Evanescence because of that. Still, I can respect her voice, even though I'm not too keen on the band.

VetMichael
2007-11-19, 02:57 PM
I'm not entirely sure who Julien K are (:smallredface:), but from your post that seems like a good thing!

And, yes, Amy Lee is an awesome singer. Awesomeness flows off her. :smallsmile:

And damn you for getting to go to an Evanescence concert!

Julien K is a fragment of Orgy, the techno-punk English band that did a cover of "Blue Monday" a few years ago.

I saw Evanescence at Santa Barbara bowl on Sunday the 11th and I agree, it was one heck of a concert. I was especially happy to discover I like Sick Puppies, their opening act, as well.

Darken Rahl
2007-11-19, 04:46 PM
The times I have heard her live, she was out of tune. My ears have yet to forgive her enough to care to try again.

Also, she's not hot.

Tom_Violence
2007-11-20, 06:17 PM
I must say I was disappointed to discover that this thread was not, in fact, satire. I too have had to experience the horrors of this woman going out of tune, and it wasn't even amusing. 'Teeth-grindingly bad' springs to mind. Furthermore, I am still trying to imagine whether or not it is actually possible for a band to out-cheese Evanescence. Even the name pongs, for goodness sake!

VetMichael
2007-11-20, 08:27 PM
I am still trying to imagine whether or not it is actually possible for a band to out-cheese Evanescence. Even the name pongs, for goodness sake!

Hmmm....I think I can name a few off the bat:

Kiss (Any album; c'mon "lyrics" like "Lick it up...lick it up...ohhhh ohhh, c'mon and lick it up...." 'nuff said)

Rolling Stones (anything done in the 80's or afterward; Mick Jagger once opined that it was better to die young than to be doing "this sh** when I'm 60" and many, many, many people wish he would have kept his word)

Metallica (anything after And Justice For All, Jason newstead said it best when he said "Some people say we sold out, and they're right; we sell out stadiums night after night.")

Poison, Tesla, Motley Crue, Warrant, etc. - pseudoMetal hair bands with inane "lyrics" that even Gene Simmons would cringe at...

That being said, however, I think "Open Door" is a weaker album than "Fallen" and at least Evanescence didn't follow Ben Moody's lead and delve further into crypto-Christian rock.

Personally, I really like some Indie bands, (my favorite right now is the previously-owned by Warner Bros. "The Sun" Lost at Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpcdbMKsI_4)) but Evanescence is usually on my MP3 player

Midnight Son
2007-11-21, 12:22 AM
Also, she's not hot.Thank you so much for bringing the physical aspect into this completely non-physical discussion of the merits of a singer...

I must say I was disappointed to discover that this thread was not, in fact, satire. I too have had to experience the horrors of this woman going out of tune, and it wasn't even amusing. 'Teeth-grindingly bad' springs to mind. Furthermore, I am still trying to imagine whether or not it is actually possible for a band to out-cheese Evanescence. Even the name pongs, for goodness sake!Hey! You got your peanut butter in my chocolate. Nooo, wait. Peanut butter and chocolate are good. This is more like you got your fish oil in my chocolate.:smalltongue:

As to your point; I have seen her live twice and seen quite a few live TV performances. In very few of those was she ever out of tune. As such, my hypothesis here is that you are either very unlucky or it's your ears that are out of tune.

Also, if that's cheese, "Squeek, squeek. Gimme more."

VetMichael, I absolutely agree with your assessment of Fallen vs The Open Door. Their third CD is just not as good, though once I listened to it a few times, I found that I really like about half of the new CD, where I couldn't find a single thing to dislike off Fallen and Origin had maybe two that didn't work for me. Here's hoping they knock it out of the park on their next one.

zeratul
2007-11-21, 12:26 AM
Also, she's not hot.

Actually, though I don't like amy lee, I would say shes pretty attractive.

Neek
2007-11-21, 12:46 AM
Amy Lee is a fantastic singer, I'll give no claim to the contrary. I do enjoy her voice. But it must needs not belong in the genre with the group to whom she is currently employed. She needs to grow up (if her lyrics are any indication of her maturity--if not, then she needs to wait for her own audience to grow up themselves, whether by nature or pro-actively) and produce some music that will actually amount to something of value (rather than amounting to some guy calling into the radio station, "I haven't heard that Evanescence song in three hours! Play it again!")

Til then, as long as she is still catering to the same audience with the same endless, angsty drivel, then Amy Lee is wasting every ounce of her talent.

Ego Slayer
2007-11-21, 01:00 AM
VetMichael, I absolutely agree with your assessment of Fallen vs The Open Door. Their third CD is just not as good, though once I listened to it a few times, I found that I really like about half of the new CD, where I couldn't find a single thing to dislike off Fallen and Origin had maybe two that didn't work for me. Here's hoping they knock it out of the park on their next one.
I was still an Evanescence fan when The Open Door was going to be coming out, but ended up not buying it because from the handful of songs I heard, it wasn't as good as Fallen was... Though I can't say much about her now, I did really, really love her when Fallen was out. Granted, if you sent me to one of their shows for Fallen now, even though I no longer listen to them much, I'd still probably love it. Live is just so much better... well, some bands suck horribly live (MCR), but from what I know, they're good live.

Glad you had a good time!

Le edit: I also second the "14-year old girl lyrics" thing. >.> For someone with nice instrumental and vocal talent, I'm disappointed that her lyrics have never been... deep, or at the very least, creative.

Wooter
2007-11-21, 01:23 AM
Sandra Nasic could kick Amy Lee's ass.

Midnight Son
2007-11-21, 01:46 AM
On behalf of Amy Lee I would like to apologize to you all for her writing and singing such a shallow song about the last thoughts of a girl who has just committed her final act in this world. I'm sorry she could not convey to you the regret that girl felt in a more adult manner.

Ego Slayer
2007-11-21, 02:05 AM
*twitch* It's how you present the subject that matters. I simply don't feel she presents them as well as others could or have. Just a matter of taste.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-21, 02:07 AM
Please tell me you're kidding. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CST7XOxw4Dk&feature=related)
That's exactly why I'm not kidding.The fact that she has a truly beautiful opera voice, the almost inhuman ability to sing two distinct notes at once, and then chose to make atonal psuedo-punk new wave is the most beautifully nihilistic thing I've ever seen.

Darken Rahl
2007-11-21, 08:07 AM
I'm confused, Midnight. Why are you taking this so personally?

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oovi-xE21ww&feature=related

She is out of tune. Fact.

VetMichael
2007-11-21, 11:08 AM
Every singer is off-tune every once in a while, and I was particularly cheesed off at the "acoustic" duet with Korn and the VIDEO for "Call me When You're Sober" - Goth ballerinas???? :xykon: MEH

Other than that, I would have to say that I enjoy their music thoroughly. I was particularly impressed at the concert when she genuinely thanked the audience for their success - of all the concerts I've gone to, I've never heard musicians/bands be so genuinely grateful.

Midnight Son
2007-11-21, 11:11 AM
Sorry to you all. I should just relax, maybe. In my defense, I made this thread in order to let everyone know how excited I was to see my favorite singer live again. Almost immediately, it became a "Let's bash Amy Lee" thread. So yeah, I got kinda pissed. http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/banghead.gif

Edit: @^ I agree. She thanked us several times throughout the evening, including the song that she wrote especially for the fans.

Darken Rahl
2007-11-21, 03:38 PM
That's an understandable reaction. When she's on key she's got a lovely voice, I do admit. :)

Kaelaroth
2007-11-23, 02:39 PM
Just re-listened to their albums. They rock! I can't beleive I ever doubted it for a second.

Meanwhile, I just watched the video for "Call Me When You're Sober". Anyone know the name of the truly fit guy in it? I want piccies. :smallamused:

Tom_Violence
2007-11-23, 08:29 PM
*twitch* It's how you present the subject that matters. I simply don't feel she presents them as well as others could or have. Just a matter of taste.

I'd say its both, actually. Both the subject matter and her delivery are cliche, for the most part (a song about suicide has a lot of work to do right from the start). Couple it with her backing band churning out over-produced stock nu-metal riffs and we're in to full-on brie territory.

thedavo
2007-11-24, 05:16 PM
Anyone else here heard the original version of Tourniquet? The one on Fallen is a cover.

Anyway, as for bands of that ilk that are better than Evanesence, try Fountain Of Tears (www.fountainoftears.com). You can listen to the entire of their latest album on their website.