PDA

View Full Version : Devil's Advocate [PrC]

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-17, 03:44 AM
I was kind of bored, so I made this PrC since I haven't seen anything like it yet (though one might exist :smallfrown: ). It's mostly done, though I'm thinking of adding spells or at least increasing existing spellcasting. Anyway, what do you think? This is my first PrC, so I hope its balanced.

Devil's Advocate
Prerequisites: Diplomacy or Bluff 13 ranks, Perform (Oratory) 13 ranks
Special: Must have made a pact with a devil or other lawful evil outsider to gain access to this prestige class. This usually involves becoming a servant of said outsider or payment in the form of a sacrifice. Alternately, an outsider may fool an adventurer into entering a pact to serve the outsider against his will.

Hit Die: 1d6
Class Skills: Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 8 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Forked Tongue (Daze), Seductive Speech, Bonus Language

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Infernal Speech, Seductive Form

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Forked Tongue (Enthrall), Tongues

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Chilling Speech

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Forked Tongue (Geas), Serpent's Form

[/table]

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Devil's Advocate does not gain any new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Forked Tongue (Su): The main attribute of a Devil's Advocate is his speech. That above all else is his greatest weapon. As a standard action, at will, a Devil's Advocate may make a Perform (Oratory) check DC 15 to daze his opponents with seductive black speech. All opponents within 60ft must make a will save, DC15+class level+charisma modifier, or become dazed for 1d4 rounds. At 3rd level, if the Perform (Oratory) check exceeds the DC by 10 or more, the opponents become enthralled as if by the Enthrall (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/enthrall.htm) spell for 1 hour per class level. At 5th level, if the Perform (Oratory) check exceeds the DC by 20 or more, the opponents become under the effect of a Geas (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm) spell or become dazed for 1 round if they succeed on the will save. This is a language dependent ability.

Seductive Speech (Ex): A Devil's Advocate gains a bonus to all Bluff, Diplomacy and Perform (Oratory) checks equal to twice his class levels against members of the opposite sex and of the same type (i.e. Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, etc.).

Bonus Language (Ex): A Devil's Advocate gains Infernal and Abyssal as bonus languages.

Infernal Speech (Ex): A Devil's Advocate may use his smooth talking and infernal subtly towards an outsider of any evil alignment to become one step closer towards helpful by succeeding on a Perform (Oratory) check with a DC equal to that creature's challenge rating. This is a language dependent ability.

Seductive Form (Su): A Devil's Advocate learns that to be a master manipulator, one must play at his opponent's weaknesses. By taking a full-round action, a Devil's Advocate may assume a aesthetic change to appearance to look more appealing to one sex or another of the same creature type as the Devil's Advocate. This ability grants a +20 to the Devil's Advocates disguise check and may change the effective sex of the Devil's Advocate for purposes of using Seductive Speech. Additionally, the Devil's Advocate gains a +2 circumstance bonus to all charisma checks against those of the same creature type and opposite sex as the one the Devil's Advocate is disguised as. This effect lasts for 24 hours and is usable a number of times per day equal to the Devil's Advocate's class level.

Tongues (Ex): A Devil's Advocate can understand and speak all languages as if under the effects of the Tongues (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tongues.htm) spell.

Chilling Speech (Su): When it is necessary, a Devil's Advocate can use his power of speech to cause his opponents physical pain. As a standard action usable a number of times per day equal to the Devil's Advocate's class level plus his charisma modifier, the Devil's Advocate may make a Perform (Oratory) check DC 20 to deal 3d8 non-lethal damage +1d8 per class level to all opponents within 60ft, will save for half DC15+class level+charisma modifier.

Serpent's Form: A Devil's Advocate understands how to seduce even those of alien nature, supported by his infernal gifts. When using his Seducing Form ability, the Devil's Advocate may disguise himself as any other creature type to gain the benefits against those creatures where they apply (i.e. creatures such as oozes, plants, and undead that are not effected by a member of the opposite sex or just do not have one are not effected).

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-17, 09:15 PM
*bump*

Any thoughts on this? I would like some sort of response even if its "this is stupid" or "its already done, link". Anything, please.

Thanks.

DracoDei
2007-11-17, 09:28 PM
Good feel... don't exactly see how being tricked into the class would work though... no real benefit for the fiend in that case....
Maybe make "Chilling Speech" non-lethal damage... maybe does lethal to stuff immune to non-lethal... up the damage if necessary to make up for it... but it just seems to fit better...
Hmmm... don't really see room to squeeze this in... but 1/week Blasphemy might fit in as a follow up on the theme that "Chilling Speech" sets...

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-17, 09:44 PM
Good feel... don't exactly see how being tricked into the class would work though... no real benefit for the fiend in that case....
Maybe make "Chilling Speech" non-lethal damage... maybe does lethal to stuff immune to non-lethal... up the damage if necessary to make up for it... but it just seems to fit better...
Hmmm... don't really see room to squeeze this in... but 1/week Blasphemy might fit in as a follow up on the theme that "Chilling Speech" sets...

I think you're right about Chilling Speech, I've made it non-lethal and increased the die to d8. As for the Blasphemy, that's a good idea....hm, how about granting it 1/week at 2nd then 2/week at 4th? As for the tricking someone to take it, basically, you'd have a supernatural tendancy to talk very smoothly and it would give you a sick feeling if you were good, its something the DM would have to setup with the player, I'm just keeping the alignment open despite the obvious evil nature of the class.

Baron Corm
2007-11-17, 09:55 PM
I like the flavor of the class, it does remind me of the Eldritch Speaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43648) even though they're pretty different mechanics-wise. I would make the saves equal to (10 + twice class level + Charisma modifier), (15 + class + Cha), or your Perform (Oratory) check, because otherwise they might be a little low.

I would get rid of the need to reach Perform (Oratory) DC's. The bard doesn't have to make Perform checks to use his abilities, and it's pretty much agreed on that the truenamer's system doesn't work out. Just require the devil's advocate to have a certain rank in Perform (Oratory) like the bard to keep the flavor. Make the enthrall and geas effects automatic, though put usage per day limits on all of it.

Since you're basing it off of Perform (Oratory), you might want it to mesh with the bard somehow. If you're not set on that, I would change it so you can use any language skill as the base for the class that you choose (Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Perform (Oratory)).

Also wondering about Swim as a class skill.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 3d8 is pretty low, I would make the damage scale with level, Charisma bonus, or something else, or add a secondary effect.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-17, 10:59 PM
I like the flavor of the class, it does remind me of the Eldritch Speaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43648) even though they're pretty different mechanics-wise. I would make the saves equal to (10 + twice class level + Charisma modifier), (15 + class + Cha), or your Perform (Oratory) check, because otherwise they might be a little low.
Bumped saves up to 15+

I would get rid of the need to reach Perform (Oratory) DC's. The bard doesn't have to make Perform checks to use his abilities, and it's pretty much agreed on that the truenamer's system doesn't work out. Just require the devil's advocate to have a certain rank in Perform (Oratory) like the bard to keep the flavor. Make the enthrall and geas effects automatic, though put usage per day limits on all of it.
I've lowered the DCs a bit, but I prefer requiring the check so that you need to focus on the skill and actually use it. Also, it allows the abilities to have unlimited use, though it doesn't always work.

Since you're basing it off of Perform (Oratory), you might want it to mesh with the bard somehow. If you're not set on that, I would change it so you can use any language skill as the base for the class that you choose (Bluff, Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Perform (Oratory)).
I was considering making this a 10-level progression and adding in uses for the other social skills, but I didn't come up with enough abilities.

Also wondering about Swim as a class skill.
Ah, copy-paste error I'll fix it...

Edit: Oh yeah, and 3d8 is pretty low, I would make the damage scale with level, Charisma bonus, or something else, or add a secondary effect.
I'd like to keep it at damage, and it is an at will area effect, so I've made it increase by 1d8 per level.

Jaerc
2008-01-31, 08:40 PM
The first ability especially reminds me of the Mogul of DIspater PrC.

My only advice on this really is take away the mechanic that binds a large percentages of it's feature and effectiveness to only affect opposite sex.