PDA

View Full Version : Casting time in the ethereal plane

Spegynmerbles
2021-10-13, 11:13 AM
One of my players wants to cast spells such as freezing sphere and put it into a secret chest. The spell says it detonates after 1 min but it also says time feels slower in the ethereal plane, up to one tenth slower. Basically he wants to cast spells with time limits, put them in the ethereal plane using secret chest, and then pull them back out much later. Does this work?

Christew
2021-10-13, 11:28 AM
One of my players wants to cast spells such as freezing sphere and put it into a secret chest. The spell says it detonates after 1 min but it also says time feels slower in the ethereal plane, up to one tenth slower. Basically he wants to cast spells with time limits, put them in the ethereal plane using secret chest, and then pull them back out much later. Does this work?
I'd say the text of Secret Chest (non living material) and Freezing Sphere (doesn't shatter if set down) allow for placing the sphere in the chest. I think the issue is in the way time functions on the Ethereal Plane.

Spegynmerbles
2021-10-13, 11:29 AM
I'd say the text of Secret Chest (non living material) and Freezing Sphere (doesn't shatter if set down) allow for placing the sphere in the chest. I think the issue is in the way time functions on the Ethereal Plane.

How does time work there?

Naanomi
2021-10-13, 11:36 AM
I think the old days of finicky planar spell interactions are gone, including spell duration being in 'subjective' durations regardless of time's objective flow

Spegynmerbles
2021-10-13, 11:44 AM
I think the old days of finicky planar spell interactions are gone, including spell duration being in 'subjective' durations regardless of time's objective flow

So if you were to cast a spell in the ethereal plane and bring it to the material plane, would it last longer?

Christew
2021-10-13, 11:46 AM
How does time work there?
I don't have a book in front of me atm, but I believe time flows normally in the Ethereal in this edition. The Astral is described as timeless though.

Naanomi
2021-10-13, 11:48 AM
So if you were to cast a spell in the ethereal plane and bring it to the material plane, would it last longer?
From my reading, no. It would last the same time from 'its' perspective no matter what planes it crossed in the process

Unoriginal
2021-10-13, 11:49 AM

It wouldn't

Even if you cast a spell in a plane where 1 day is as long as 1 year in the material plane, the "timer" for the spell adapts to where it is.

KorvinStarmast
2021-10-13, 01:49 PM
From my reading, no. It would last the same time from 'its' perspective no matter what planes it crossed in the process
Must...not...mention...Newtonian Frame of Reference ... arrggh, I failed. :smallfrown:

Chronos
2021-10-13, 03:14 PM
It seems like it ought to work, but I don't think that a tenfold increase in duration would make all that much difference for a Freezing Sphere. Especially when you need to burn some of that extra time retrieving the chest and getting the sphere back out.

Spegynmerbles
2021-10-13, 03:30 PM
It wouldn't

Even if you cast a spell in a plane where 1 day is as long as 1 year in the material plane, the "timer" for the spell adapts to where it is.

Ok cool. Is there a reference in the dm manual that I can bookmark on this?