PDA

View Full Version : Crysis

Archonic Energy
2007-11-17, 04:18 AM
Crysis is out.

With all the New games out, this one may have been overlooked.
what does everyone think about this.

Setra
2007-11-17, 04:32 AM
How many people can actually even PLAY that? >.>

Lord Rocket
2007-11-17, 04:42 AM
My PC doesn't have the grunt to play it, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQZBEN_Xjc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNRvYqTKqFY

I mean, what the hell? You can't tell me that they fixed that messy AI in the three weeks or so since those videos appeared.

There's this one too. Jeez.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG1H3uBSWTg&feature=related

Demented
2007-11-17, 06:09 AM
At a 1280x resolution, the demo didn't hurt too bad on medium settings, with an 8600 GT.
(Though, my memory is sketchy. I keep trying to work in a Very High setting here and there for the heck of it, which'll get you 10-15 fps, easy.)

The AI never did any of that in the demo, from what I saw either... Though, at the "preferred" Delta difficulty, I'd be lucky to get that close to them anyways. It's the same as with most game AIs... You can "break" them if you really try, otherwise you won't notice their faults. Usually.

As for the boat guy, what did you expect him to do? Swan dive off the side and drown like the other guys?
("Swimming is not a supported feature of this AI. Water wings not included.")

Falkus
2007-11-17, 06:42 AM
Oh c'mon rocket, there's no such thing as perfect AI. If you look hard enough, you can always find flaws. Every game can be broken. The AI in Crysis is good in general, and that's what is important. Not a couple of people going out of their way and off the beaten path to try to make it go wrong.

Actana
2007-11-17, 10:08 AM
How many people can actually even PLAY that? >.>

I can. On high settings. Smoothly. :smalltongue:

The game is just awesome. Easily the best FPS game I've played.

And the Koreans can swim, they've done so many times. Though they don't get far, as they die as soon as I see them. :smallbiggrin: Also, Delta difficulty FTW!

Not really a spoiler if you've read anything about the game, but:
I just killed my first aliens in the game. Man they're annoying!

Archonic Energy
2007-11-17, 02:21 PM
ok i'm back.

i kinda like the whole middle mouse button as the nanosuit control thing.

i need some bigger guns. :smallamused:

Actana
2007-11-17, 02:51 PM
i need some bigger guns. :smallamused:

The TAC launcher is nice. Though I haven't got to use it yet. :smallfrown:

And the thing in the spoiler is driving me nuts:
After the nuclear missile is launched on the island and the carrier is under attack, the alien exosuit attacks the carrier and you have to destroy it.

Nothing wrong with that, the atmosphere of the battle is just awesome, except for one thing. The freaking ground fails. You're always falling through the floor on some parts of the carrier, and even the exosuit is more than half of the time under the ground and can't be killed. Sometimes it pops up and fires the freeze ray, and then it's gone again.

Well, I struggled with the failing ground and exosuit for about 2 hours, then I managed to kill it. Then, I find myself below deck. And better yet, I go and quicksave the game when I'm down there. Then I find out there is no way back up. Great. Then I quited. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. :smallfrown:

Well, luckily there is a patch coming up within two weeks.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-19, 05:22 AM
The TAC launcher is nice. Though I haven't got to use it yet. :smallfrown:

not got that yet...

i like standing by a door way, cloaking, shooting the first person who walks into the room, then re cloaking... repeat

the sheer number of bodies that get piled up is funny...

if you saw a door with 35 dead bodies piled up by it would YOU look inside to see what was happening?

Ashtar
2007-11-19, 07:21 AM
I would act like the half-life marines:
When in doubt, throw a grenade in.

† Dran †
2007-11-19, 06:06 PM
Great game but there are more then a few problems with the ai. Also try killing a guy when you dont shoot him in the head from long distance... stupid how many bullets it takes to kill someone sometimes.

Demented
2007-11-19, 06:38 PM
Unlike every other video game enemy, they chose to wear body armor.
Curse them and the digital ground they walk on!

Ranis
2007-11-19, 07:20 PM
Crysis is out.

With all the New games out, this one may have been overlooked.
what does everyone think about this.

Farcry 3.47.

Twin2
2007-11-19, 09:20 PM
I would act like the half-life marines:
When in doubt, throw a grenade in.

I'll do you one better, tac nuke and RUN.

Demented
2007-11-20, 12:05 AM
Run?
Nuke the site from orbit.
It's the only way to be sure.

† Dran †
2007-11-20, 05:06 AM
dude.. no one can survive 30 rounds to the chest from an assault rifle. I dont care what kind of body amour you have, the gun that you get at the start of the game would pack enough punch to rip through it like it was paper.

On that note... 5 man squad of uber teched up men.. get wasted by an alien. How sad for that government hehehe.

Regneva
2007-11-20, 06:22 AM
I really wish I had played it BEFORE I got my hands on Call of Duty 4 "Modern Warfare". Everything about Crysis is just "OK" compared to the awesome feeling Call of Duty left with me.

The variety of environments, the variety of missions, the intense combat, the AI, the realistic vulnerability to live gunfire and grenades, the storyline, EVERYTHING about CoD4 was sheer adventure and fun.

Guess I was waiting for crysis way too much

Demented
2007-11-20, 08:54 AM
dude.. no one can survive 30 rounds to the chest from an assault rifle. I dont care what kind of body amour you have, the gun that you get at the start of the game would pack enough punch to rip through it like it was paper.

Chances are, you didn't hit them 30 times.

At long range, the guns aren't that accurate. Not to mention, the bullets fly ballistically rather than hitscan, making it nigh-impossible to hit someone at range if they're moving.
(It helps if you use strength mode to reduce recoil.)

Though, I suppose you can assert that the bullets somehow do 0 damage at range, if you really want to....

Ashtar
2007-11-22, 05:01 AM
I downloaded the Demo and played it till the end. It's fun, there's some good ideas in there. But I do find the AI of the Korean soldiers to be pretty bad.

I played in Normal to get a feel for the game, finished the demo and went back to play it in Delta difficulty. Finished it much faster the second time. All it took was a good understanding of suit functions.

I find the "stealth" mode of the suit to be very cheesey. You put on Stealth, walk up to the guy and put a bullet through the right eye, without him noticing anything. One sec in armor more and back to stealth before anyone notices you (it's best to crouch or to lie down to do this, less energy drain).

If I get the game, I really have to update my gfx card, since when I was playing it was in 800x600 with all details to minimum and it was still nice enough.

I do have one complaint, is that I feel the weapons are really inaccurate. I expected them to get a much more realistic feel for single aimed shots. I mean lying down, aiming the rifle down iron sights at a target at 300m is easy IRL, in the game everything over 150m is completely imprecise. Although, I guess I'm spoiled with rifles. If I get the game I'd aim to get a sniper rifle asap.

Demented
2007-11-22, 07:30 AM
I've yet to see a game where you can hit ANYTHING past 150m without a scope. Aside from Delta F... No, needed a scope back then, but only 'cause of the 640x480 resolution. =P
Maybe there were some games I missed. I tend to avoid the military simulators.
I hear there's a sniper scope... With the inventory system, you could probably put it on any rifle.

Funny thing I found out in the demo:
You can take out a vehicle with 3 shots from the tranquilizer.
By take out, I mean that it will blow up, and you don't even have to hit anywhere precisely.
Abuse as you will.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-22, 10:32 AM
the inventory system, you could probably put it on any rifle.

yes. however the assault rifles are poor at long range accuracy.

there is a dedicated long range rifle. but ammo is few and far between

i'm having fun sniping with the missle launcher.

Ashtar
2007-11-28, 12:23 PM
I went to buy Crysis last week, had good fun gaming on the full version of the game.

It was very nice, but... much too short!

I played the game on Delta difficulty and still finished it in two sessions (Friday evening, Sunday evening). It was really dissapointing. 85 Swiss Francs (37.3£) for two evenings of play is really expensive. Sure I can do multiplayer, or replay the game or somesuch. But still, I spent longer on much HL2 for the same kind of money.

BrokenButterfly
2007-11-29, 07:43 PM
I'm hoping that my PC will be set for playing this when I'm good and ready (too much going on to buy this or UT3 yet). I suspect I'm slightly lacking in the graphics card department. I will be trying out a demo in a week or so so I'll see how it handles then.

I was/am a big fan of FarCry, and Crysis looks stunningly beautiful, so it would be awesome if my luck is indeed in.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-30, 04:33 AM
I'm hoping that my PC will be set for playing this when I'm good and ready (too much going on to buy this or UT3 yet). I suspect I'm slightly lacking in the graphics card department. I will be trying out a demo in a week or so so I'll see how it handles then.

I was/am a big fan of FarCry, and Crysis looks stunningly beautiful, so it would be awesome if my luck is indeed in.

BB are you going to the UK meet?

if so i can let you have a go...

Ashtar
2007-11-30, 05:16 AM
Anyone tried online play with Crysis?

BrokenButterfly
2007-11-30, 05:45 AM
BB are you going to the UK meet?

if so i can let you have a go...

Wow...sweet!

Yes I'm definitely going to the meetup, I've had it bookmarked ever since the last one.

Archonic Energy
2007-11-30, 06:42 AM
Wow...sweet!

Gaming Laptop's just ROCK!
*groan*

(you'll get the pun when you see it)

Ashtar
2007-11-30, 09:42 AM
Gaming laptops... turning geeks into Mr. Universe since 1995!

Archonic Energy
2007-11-30, 09:55 AM
Gaming laptops... turning geeks into Mr. Universe since 1995!

ain't that the sorry truth...
bloody solid copper heatsinks!

Ashtar
2007-11-30, 10:17 AM
I'm just amazed there is even a laptop that can start up Crysis...

Mc. Lovin'
2007-11-30, 04:34 PM
What specs do you need for crysis? (bare minimum)

Archonic Energy
2007-12-05, 11:40 AM
What specs do you need for crysis? (bare minimum)

Windows XP or Windows Vista
2.8 GHz or faster processor (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
256 MB video card**
12GB hard drive space
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible
* Supported Processors: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista) or faster, AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or faster.

** Supported chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT or greater; ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or greater. Laptop versions of these chipsets may work but are not supported. Integrated chipsets are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.

as per the site.

Demented
2007-12-05, 02:38 PM
Though bare minimum also means all settings on Low at 640x480 with no anti-aliasing.
=P

warty goblin
2007-12-05, 02:43 PM
Though bare minimum also means all settings on Low at 640x480 with no anti-aliasing.
=P

I find AA to be overrated. I'd much rather have the framerate gain or the resolution increase, or Crisis, the physics cranked up high.

edit: here's my specs:
Intel Core Duo 2.1ghz dual core.
2 gigs ram
nVidia 7800 with 512 MB ram.

I play the Crisis demo at 1024x768 (as high res as my horrid monitor goes), low textures, and physics on medium. I could probably squeeze a little more out of it, but it plays smoothly now, and, like I said, I like my framerate nice and high.

Ashtar
2007-12-06, 07:24 AM
So yesterday evening, I tried to play Crysis in multiplayer.

I've never had so much trouble joining an internet game!

So I had to go through dozens of steps, re-install punkbuster, choose Crysis in their list of supported games, activate the punkbuster checkbox in Crysis, Re-enter my CD-Key, Create the account for onlie play and recheck everything 3 times using a forum post from one guy who had collected all these solutions.

Finally I'm able to connect to a "Free for All" game. Which turns out to be a huge dissapointment. One guy who knows the map put himself up in a sniper's nest and was fragging like crazy and all the others were running around like headless chickens.

So I change server and go for a power play game. Again, I was very dissapointed. It seems the best tactic is to rush at an enemy and beat him to death with your fists.

And finally, there was the crashes. In single player, I finished the entire campaign without a crash (and only one small scripting bug in mission 2), but in Multiplayer, I'd get a crash every 10 to 15 minutes.

In short, unhappy about multiplayer in crysis.

--

Well after a week of multiplayer on Crysis, I've got an update.

I solved the crashes, I needed to apply the latest AMD patch for my processor. That solved all the multiplayer crashes I was seeing.

I still don't like the Free-for-all game mode, but I've come to appreciate the Power play mode.

Crysis plays very differently from other games, mostly due to suit functions and vehicles which each provide for very varied gameplay. Sniping is not only very efficient, but is essential to good play. And to win a battle, it's not sufficient to just kill the enemy, you have to aim for tactical locations at the right time.