PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made epic level alchemy?

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-17, 06:59 AM
I have been looking through the Core alchemy rules, and everything else I could find, and I really can't find anything that makes the skill worthwhile in late-game. Of course, I could be completely overlooking every good feature about it or whatnot, so feel free to attack me on that.

MagFlare
2007-11-17, 08:03 AM
You mean epic-level usages for the Craft (alchemy) skill, sort of like the swim up a waterfall/balance on a cloud sort of thing?

Well, d20srd.org lists a few uses here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#craftAlchemy), but there's nothing really awesomely epic there. Wow, so a 25th-level character can create a torch that stays lit for 12 hours? And all it takes is a DC 45 skill check? Amazing. Truly these epic-level characters are like unto the gods themselves.

Maybe we need to develop some genuine epic-level uses for Craft (alchemy)...

{table]Alchemical Item|Craft DC
Ice-9|150
Mimetic polyalloy|125
Kryptonite|100
Smilex gas|75
Iocane powder|50[/table]

...that sort of thing.

Istari
2007-11-17, 08:17 AM
Maybe we could have them make magic potions like most alcamists traditionally do?

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-18, 07:29 AM
I've become somewhat disenchanted by magical potions (if theres a pun there, pardon it) ever since I realized what it amounted to:

You spend a bunch of money.
You spend a bunch of XP.
You get a time-delayed version of one of your own spells.

I can think of only two uses for potions under the existing system: The occasional cast-on-self only spell from the wizard, or bottled healing spells in case the cleric is the one who needs the heals.

DracoDei
2007-11-18, 09:26 AM
What about buffs-in-a-bottle so the party can power up faster (or if the stealth types are on a scouting mission and are out of reach of the casters)? The key power of potions is to put spells in the hands of non-casters.
Two ways to power up potions:
1.) See This Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63611)
2.) Take the 2.0 miscibility rules and EXPLICITLY ignore them. If that didn't make sense: Allow potions to be mixed at any time (provided the vials are large enough) and the result drunk later to trigger ALL the spells at once... Quicken Spell costs 4 spells levels... You think getting off 4 buffs in one round is worth an item creation feat? In fact I just convinced myself that is WAY TO GOOD. At the VERY least multiples of the same spell mixed together shouldn't stack... that way you don't get 12 oz potions that might as well be Heal spells for hit-point purposes at lower levels (12 x Cure Light Wounds). I would actually say that a tweak to the Brewing rules that allows such double/triple/Quadrupedal potions (but NOT with multiples of the same spell) but ONLY at the time of brewing AND with an escalating cost for each spell past the first (check the "Behind the Curtain" formulae for calculating the cost of magic items with more than one ability built into them... I am feeling to lazy to hunt it up and type it in right now).

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-18, 10:44 AM
Ah, yes, I had noticed that thread just after I posted this one.

I didn't know "DM's Beware" had anything to do with potions.

Also, I do see your point about potion mixing..

+4 dex +4 str +4 con and gaining a size via Enlarge Person would be quite epic.

DracoDei
2007-11-18, 11:11 AM
Eh... maybe not quite Epic... Mage's Transformation (AKA Tensor's Transformation) is almost that good (or maybe better
)... but yeah, as a potion... certainly NOTHING to sneeze at.

Merlon
2007-11-19, 06:44 PM
.. but yeah, as a potion... certainly NOTHING to sneeze at.

Ditch the potions at epic levels. Go straight into the philosophers stone business. I wonder what the craft DC would be on that one?

DracoDei
2007-11-19, 06:49 PM
Ditch the potions at epic levels. Go straight into the philosophers stone business. I wonder what the craft DC would be on that one?

I think that is technically a Wonderous Item... maybe even a minor artifact...

TheGrimace
2007-11-19, 07:04 PM
wewt!
I've been linked...

this is my first time ever being linked!

that being said, I think that we aren't helping
shadow_archmagi with what he really wants.

The Master Alchemist PrC, which I've mentioned, doesn't actually have much to do with the alchemy skill.

so, lets follow Magflare's lead.

Ice-9 (tanglefoot bag on steroids?)
Craft DC 150
cost to create ????
When this substance is exposed to the air, it instantly reduces the temperature of everything within a 30ft radius spread of it to -9 degrees (Kelvin?). This cold has effect similar to chill metal on all metal surfaces, except that it deals 35 damage to anyone touching the metal for all 7 rounds.

Also, it causes all the vapor in the air to instantly turn to ice. All creatures must make a reflex save (DC 72) or have their feet frozen to the ground where they stand. A character can escape this effect by by a Strength Check (DC 54) or escape artist check (DC 98). The temperature remains -9 degrees (of whatever scale) for 7 rounds (duration of chill metal). Each Round, all creatures within the radius take 10d6 cold damage, and are fatigued by onsetting hypothermia. A successful Fortitude save (DC72) halves the damage and negates the fatigue. A fatigued character that fails a save is now exhausted. An exhausted character that fails a save is now unconscious. An unconscious character that fails its save is now dead.

Ok, someone elses turn to fix mine and make mimetic polyalloy

DracoDei
2007-11-19, 08:15 PM
Just so you know... I looked it up on wikipedia, and that is NOT what Ice-9 does (at least I am pretty sure...)... cool (pun intended) substance... just need to give it a different name...

JoshuaZ
2007-11-19, 09:12 PM
I think that is technically a Wonderous Item... maybe even a minor artifact...

In the SRD there is a version of the philosopher's stone that is a minor artifact. See http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#philosophersStone

Lady Tialait
2007-11-19, 09:40 PM
Woo..Alchemy. Had a few addicts to it. I always have had three house rules I institute.

1. Alchemy can simulate any potion the cost for matirials are the base cost + the experiance cost (times 5)

2. A non-spellcaster can create Alchemy...just..ya'know.

3. A Home Brewed Feat. not often taken. but none the less on the homebrewed books.

Kiro Alchemist
Prerequire: 8 ranks Craft (Alchemy)
Any Alchemy created by you adds 1d6 to the random effects created. or 10 to the DC to resist it. The creater must choose witch one apon creation of the Alchemaic Item this feat can only be applyed once to each Alchemy the posseser wishes to make.
Normal: Alchemy deals damage and has it's DC's set standeredly.
Speical: A wizard may take Kiro Alchemist as a bonus Feat.

What you guys think?...as for Epics..I am thinking of adding a Epic Kiro Alchemist Feat...*shrug*

TheGrimace
2007-11-19, 10:27 PM
Just so you know... I looked it up on wikipedia, and that is NOT what Ice-9 does (at least I am pretty sure...)... cool (pun intended) substance... just need to give it a different name...

Well, it's not too far off...
just make sure you're looking at ice nine

not ice IX

One is fictional, one is real.

the fictional one, I'm not too far off.