PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next artificier subclass: siege engineer [PEACH]

Myth27
2021-10-15, 01:10 PM
Inspired by the siege wizard and arcane archer of panthfinder, heavily based on the artillerist and a little bit on the battlesmith. Let me know what you think in terms of coolness, practicality, flavoir and balancing. any comment, opinion or suggestion of any kind is welcome!

Tool proficiency
When you adopt this specialization at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with woodcarver's tools. If you already have this proficiency, you gain proficiency with one other type of artisan's tools of your choice. You also gain proficiency with siege engine. (I never understood if this proficiency is a thing in 5e)

Siege engineer Spells I havent thought of something yet, I'd say all area spell I can find.

Magical Siege weapon
At 3rd level, you've learned how to create a magical siege weapon. Using woodcarver's tools or smith's tools, you can create a siege weapon in an unoccupied space on a horizontal surface within 5 feet of you at the end of a short or long rest. This siege weapon is magically linked to you, and you can control it with your toughts. You can have only one siege weapon at a time and can't create one while your siege weapon is present.

Whenever you create your siege weapon, you can choose between a Ballista, a Trebuchet or a Battering Ram
- Ballista: make a ranged Spell Attack, originating from the ballista, on a target or object within 120 ft you can see and in line of sight with the ballista. On a hit, the target takes 2d8+INT magical piercing damage
- Trebuchet: make a ranged spell attsck, originating from the Trebuchet, on a target or object you can see and within a range of 300 ft from the Trebuchet. It doesn't need a line of sight with the Trebuchet, but requires enough height to allow a parabolic shot. On a hit, the target takes 2d8 damages. You can't shot a target who is within 10 ft of the trebuchet. Double damage against structures
- Battering Ram: Make a melee spell attack, originating from the battering Ram, on a target or object within 10 ft. On a hit, the target takes 3d8+Int bludgeoning magic damage. Triple damage on structures

The siege weapon is a small magical object. Regardless of its form, the siege weapon has an AC of 18 and a number of hit points equal to five times your artificer level plus your intellect modifier. It is immune to poison damage and psychic damage. If it is forced to make an ability check or a saving throw, treat all its ability scores as 10 (+0).
If the mending spell is cast on it, it regains 2d6 hit points. If it has died within the last hour, you can use your smith's tools or woodcarver's tools as an action to revive it, provided you are within 5 feet of it. The siege weapon returns to life after 1 minute with all its hit points restored. When you attempt to repair the siege weapon, you can channel your mana in it, instantly repairing it, with maximum hitpoints by using a spell slot.
On each of your turns, you can take an action to cause the siege engine to activate if you are within 90 feet of it. As part of the same action, you can direct the cannon to move up to 20 feet to an unoccupied space

When you obtain this feature, you lose the ability to launch spells by yourself, if you previously could. Instead, you can use a bonus action to charge your siege weapon with a spell with a casting time up to 1 action. If you do so, the spell will be triggered/centred on the point of impact, attack roll-depending spells will consider the siege weapon's attack roll as the spell's, and DC-related spells' saving throws will be thrown with disadvantage by the target hit by the weapon

Extra Shot
At 5th level you can attack twice instead of once with your summoned siege weapon. You can also mentally control an existing siege weapon, operating it mentally as if it was operated by a full crew of people.

Improved Siege
At 9th level every siege weapon you create is more destructive
- the damage made by all your siege weapons is increased by 1d8
- Ballista: increased critical range to 18-20, and critical multiplier by x3.
- Trebuchet: the damage now spreads in a 10 ft radius from the point of impact (making it a 20x20 ft area)
- Battering Ram: now gains resistance against piercing and slashing damage. Any damage made on a door is considered a critical hit

15th level ability: I havent thought of something yet possibly the same as fortified position (artillerist feature)

JNAProductions
2021-10-17, 11:03 AM
This looks like Artillierist, but better.

It's just plain got more damage, though loses some utility features.

I would not allow this in a game I was running.