PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimized flavoring Earth Genasi

Sillybird99
2021-10-15, 08:48 PM
So I'm really disappointed by the lack of fluff and crunch with the earth genasi. However, I am playing one as an echo knight, and I like the flavor of the echo basically being an elemental construct summoned from the earth (sand specifically). I want to lean into that flavor a bit more and basically get the abilities that should probably have come with the earth genasi chassis - darkvision and mold earth specifically (although illusion stuff would be cool too (gw2 mirage inspired).

The best way I can figure this is a single level dip in shadow sorcerer to get darkvision, mold earth, minor illusion, 2 more cantrips, and 2 first level spells/slots. I think this ends up being pretty good, enabling me to pick up both shield and absorb elements to increase fighter tankiness and not have to depend on charisma DC (I have a 15 CHA at level 3) for my spell slots, enabling them to scale to level 20 effectively.

The only other option I can think of that rivals this for flavor and effectiveness is going daolock 3 with pact of the tome, but that requires me losing lots of fighter levels, giving up the echo knight capstone, and trading the tankiness of shield/absorb elements for the utility of book of ancient secrets.

It could also be done with a darkvision item and magic initiate feat, but that feels less elegant and flavorful.

Is there anything I'm not seeing? Anyone have any crazy ideas? Remember, I'm optimizing the concept, not the necessarily the power (although something that does both better than dipping shadow sorc would be amazing).

strangebloke
2021-10-15, 11:30 PM
Honestly?

Genasi are pretty much the worst racial option in the game bar none. If there was ever a time to invoke custom lineage and build your own earth genasi, this would be it. Grab darkvision, the relevant stat mods, and magic initiate for mold earth, magic stone, and IDK, some druid first level spell and you're basically there.

Although as far as I'm concerned going full Dao Warlock is the more flavorful option and I would just stick with that. Treat fighter as the dip rather than the other way around.

ftafp
2021-10-15, 11:39 PM
Honestly?

Genasi are pretty much the worst racial option in the game bar none. If there was ever a time to invoke custom lineage and build your own earth genasi, this would be it. Grab darkvision, the relevant stat mods, and magic initiate for mold earth, magic stone, and IDK, some druid first level spell and you're basically there.

Although as far as I'm concerned going full Dao Warlock is the more flavorful option and I would just stick with that. Treat fighter as the dip rather than the other way around.

correction: fire, water and air genasi are some of the worst races in the game. Earth genasi is actually above average. Being able to cast pass without trace means you can basically skip one encounter per day, or get a free surprise round.

strangebloke
2021-10-15, 11:46 PM
correction: fire, water and air genasi are some of the worst races in the game. Earth genasi is actually above average. Being able to cast pass without trace means you can basically skip one encounter per day, or get a free surprise round.

unless there's a ranger, druid, wood elf with wood elf magic, or shadow monk who could cast it anyway. It's a nice spell but I wouldn't consider earth genasi that strong as this is essentially the only feature it has.

ftafp
2021-10-16, 12:23 AM
unless there's a ranger, druid, wood elf with wood elf magic, or shadow monk who could cast it anyway. It's a nice spell but I wouldn't consider earth genasi that strong as this is essentially the only feature it has.

their power is certainly waning in comparison to more recent additions, but bear in mind that the average dnd race is actually pretty weak. standard humans, all halflings and elves without dragonmarks, hill dwarves, duregar, goliaths, orcs and half orcs, tieflings without wings, dragonborn, tritons, kenku, lizardfolk, bugbears, githzerai, non-earth genasi, minotaurs, centaurs, grung, kalashtar, changelings, shifters, verdan, leonin, reborn, hexbloods, giff, plasmoids, and many others lack any practical racial traits for optimized play. if earth genasi only got +2 to one stat id still consider it a better deal than most of these

JellyPooga
2021-10-16, 02:31 AM

Wow, really? I actually considered Earth the 2nd weakest after Fire. Yeah, ok, they get PWT and that's great but they really don't get anything else worth noting. Air Genasi get the inimitable Levitate and a Dex bonus to complement their Con, which is not to be sneezed at; just about everyone wants Dex and Con in some measure. Don't underestimate Unending Breath either; on paper it's situational at best, but in practice you'll be glad you have it when you need it. Water Genasi top my list with perhaps the best elemental utility cantrip (IMO) Shape Water and getting 20 gallons of clean water daily certainly isn't nothing (and as useful as you make it). Add to that the Acid resistance (meh), Amphibious (which, like Unending Breath, sounds weak but it's a 3rd level spell when you need it; sure it might not come up as a quest requirement too often, but it's handy to have as an "always there" kind of deal) and a Wis bonus, Water Genasi are a solid pick for Druid, Cleric, a spellcasting focused Ranger or Monk. All the Genasi make great spellcasters, to be fair; that Con bonus is great to mitigate (typically) lower HD as well as for Concentration.

@OP: Have you considered a Druid dip instead? You get access to both Mould Earth and Absorb Elements, plus some other thematic spells like Earth Tremor (good for Earth Genasi with their ability to ignore rocky difficult terrain). More importantly, it also gives you both a flexibility and utility that Sorcerer simply doesn't. A 2-lvl dip also gets you Wild Shape, which is handy in a pinch and adds further utility/scouting, as well as Circle abilities (which will vary in usefulness). Depends on your Wisdom, though.

Bphill561
2021-10-16, 02:42 AM
You allowed to use Unearthed Arcania? The stone sorcerer is fitting theme wise and gets 13+Con for AC all day. It should hold you over until you can get heavy armor, and takes Dex out of the equation to focus on Con/Str/Cha. Also +1 hit point at level 1, woot.

Throw on the Aberrant Dragon Mark Feat for +1 Con and two spells (Cantrip/ Level 1) which are cast off of Con. Chill Touch could be reskinned to be an earthen hand and keep opponents from running away. Earth Tremor for the level 1 spell is also fitting theme wise. You already got your shield and absorb elements from your spell selections. I am sure there are more optimized builds, but that is all earth elemental for your RP. You don't even need to push Cha here besides the multitasking requirement if you make your damage cantrip off Con and all your sorcerer spells utility and defense. Also Con runs some of your Echo Knight abilities.

Forgotten realms has Earth nodes in their lore, places of power that radiate magic. Might be useful for you backstory since you said the Genesai lack lore. Re-fluff the dragon marked feat into a Node Mark instead to remove the Ebberon reference.

Khrysaes
2021-10-16, 05:12 AM
Flavor wise, Genasi are some of my favorite races.

Official 5e does them a disservice.

Personally, I liked the flavor of 4e Genasi both because there were more elements and because they sounded more.... like they had more "oomf" But even their physical appearances just sound better.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Genasi
https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Genasi

I also like the Jinnborn and Dragonkin from Midgard, with the exception of desert dependence. Dragonkin does the elemental races better
http://kpogl.wikidot.com/race:dragonkin
http://kpogl.wikidot.com/race:jinnborn

Finally, you may get some mileage for flavor from the pathfinder Genasi,
Fire -> Ifrit: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-ifrit/
Air -> Sylph: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-sylph
Water -> Undine: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-undine
Earth -> Oread: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-oread
Jann -> Suli: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-suli

Sillybird99
2021-10-16, 07:19 AM
Honestly?
If there was ever a time to invoke custom lineage and build your own earth genasi, this would be it.
So I asked and custom origin is allowed but custom lineage is out. I could custom origin for a 16 Cha and get away with being a better warlock. And I might, but after more thinking, idk if I want to wait til level fighter 3/warlock 3 for the echo+darkvision+flavorful spells to come online

Depends on your Wisdom, though.
12 wis :(

You allowed to use Unearthed Arcania? The stone sorcerer is fitting theme wise and gets 13+Con for AC all day.
That's a great find! No UA tho :(

Flavor wise, Genasi are some of my favorite races.

Thanks for the helpful lore references!

Xihirli
2021-10-16, 07:28 AM
Genasi are pretty much the worst racial option in the game bar none.

Fire is okay. Sometimes all you need is darkvision and INT/CON. Fire resistance comes up enough.
Water is a distant second, and then there's no need to rank Air and Earth cuz they're both awful. I hope they're redone, since Elemental Evil is only kind of official.

strangebloke
2021-10-16, 08:58 AM
their power is certainly waning in comparison to more recent additions, but bear in mind that the average dnd race is actually pretty weak. standard humans, all halflings and elves without dragonmarks, hill dwarves, duregar, goliaths, orcs and half orcs, tieflings without wings, dragonborn, tritons, kenku, lizardfolk, bugbears, githzerai, non-earth genasi, minotaurs, centaurs, grung, kalashtar, changelings, shifters, verdan, leonin, reborn, hexbloods, giff, plasmoids, and many others lack any practical racial traits for optimized play. if earth genasi only got +2 to one stat id still consider it a better deal than most of these
I don't think we'll ever agree dude. Loads of these races you list get unique abilities that can't be replicated by any other means as well as having loads more random abilities.

Like hill dwarves? Can wear heavy armor without penalty, resists poison, advantage on checks to avoid poisoned condition, plus one hp per level, darkvision, and weapon proficiencies.

But yeah I guess pwt 1/lr on a race that has no dexterity bonus is pretty good.

So I asked and custom origin is allowed but custom lineage is out. I could custom origin for a 16 Cha and get away with being a better warlock. And I might, but after more thinking, idk if I want to wait til level fighter 3/warlock 3 for the echo+darkvision+flavorful spells to come online

Well with custom origin you can have everything except pwt at first level so I think that works pretty well?

Fire is okay. Sometimes all you need is darkvision and INT/CON. Fire resistance comes up enough.
Water is a distant second, and then there's no need to rank Air and Earth cuz they're both awful. I hope they're redone, since Elemental Evil is only kind of official.
Fire could be worse but not much.

Sillybird99
2021-10-17, 12:27 PM
I think I'm now set on shadow sorcerer. Darvision and strength of the grave(earth as I'm flavoring it) are awesome for the concept in addition to the spellcasting.

cantrips: mold earth, minor illusion, friends, message

Those all fit the theme of an earth genasi, being related to abilities that dao get across various editions: illusions, telepathy, charisma, and earth abilities.

For spells known I'm looking at shield, absorb elements, and disguise self. All genies seem to get a shapechange ability in most editions, so I like the flavour. However, choosing disguise self would leave me having to pick between shield and absorb elements or taking a second level of sorcerer at some point to have all 3, which I don't particularly want to do.

If I did take a sorc 2, it would be later on in the build after extra attack from fighter. so ECL 7 at soonest. I'd wait to take absorb elements until then because I'll get more mileage out of shield at the low levels. Does doing that seem worth it? I'd basically get absorb elements and 2 more spell slots (1 from sorcery points) at the cost of hp, asi progression, and echo knight goodies.

Absorb elements is awesome though, so it's a tough call.

sethdmichaels
2021-10-23, 06:57 PM
one of the players in my current game is an Earth Genasi Spore Druid and has a pretty fun curious-fungus-seeker character persona. her character is shy and cautious and Pass Without Trace is a great fit for the personality - and has come in super handy repeatedly for the whole party.