View Full Version : Wish: Glyph of Warding: Antimagic Field

Aaedimus
2021-10-15, 11:25 PM
I think it's literally the craziest in combat spell combo vs a spellcaster.
The BBEG is a spellcaster: No save. No magic for you.
The only thing I could think of that could save them is a counterspell.
Here comes our Barbarian!

Edit:
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/929428166745120768?lang=en

aw nevermind

Pondincherry
2021-10-15, 11:45 PM
Arguably, the rules could save them. "The spell must target a single creature or an area." "RANGE/AREA Self" It would be a reasonable ruling that Antimagic Field can't be in a glyph of warding. (Alternately a DM could rule that "self" is "one creature".)

Walking could save them. Antimagic Field has only a 10 ft radius, so almost any spellcaster could just walk out of the area of effect. Sure, there's other combos you could use to keep them there, but it's definitely not an instant win.

kazaryu
2021-10-17, 09:41 PM
I think it's literally the craziest in combat spell combo vs a spellcaster.
The BBEG is a spellcaster: No save. No magic for you.
The only thing I could think of that could save them is a counterspell.
Here comes our Barbarian!

Edit:
https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/929428166745120768?lang=en

aw nevermind

Even if the combination worked, youve still used your 2 highest level spell slots to create a small area where magic cant be cast. An area the bbeg can use to hop in and out of inorder to cast at you, while staying safe from you inside the antimagic field...i just...i mean in some niche scenarios it could be cool but like....most of the time this is gonna harm the party more than the bbeg

Edit:oh wait, you thought that the antimagic field would target the bbeg, not just create a bubble on the ground. That makes more sense. Yeah, that definitely would be worth the spell slots if it worked

JackPhoenix
2021-10-18, 05:00 PM
Arguably, you can't Wish for any spell glyph, or at least not without using unsafe Wish. With spell glyph option, you cast second spell as a part of the Glyph of Warding's casting. But with Wish, you never cast GoW, you just replicate its effect.

Burley
2021-10-20, 11:06 AM
Maybe I'm missing it, but the target of Antimagic Field is "self," and Glyph of Warding says "if the spell has a target, it targets the creature that triggered the glyph." So, why wouldn't the bubble center on the BBEG target and follow them around for the duration of the Antimagic Field (one hour)?

Sure, you have to use two 8th-level spell slots, but if the BBEG reads the scroll upon which you inscribed explosive runes Glyph of Warding, I don't see why it wouldn't trigger AMF on the BBEG.

Angelalex242
2021-10-20, 12:29 PM
I'd say it's legal, but it's also an unsafe wish, with all terms and conditions of an unsafe wish.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-10-21, 01:12 AM
Maybe I'm missing it, but the target of Antimagic Field is "self," and Glyph of Warding says "if the spell has a target, it targets the creature that triggered the glyph." So, why wouldn't the bubble center on the BBEG target and follow them around for the duration of the Antimagic Field (one hour)?

Sure, you have to use two 8th-level spell slots, but if the BBEG reads the scroll upon which you inscribed explosive runes Glyph of Warding, I don't see why it wouldn't trigger AMF on the BBEG.

Because "self" and target are treated differently by the rules. For instance you can't twin metamagic a self only spell.

Furthermore, the "glyph" casts the spell when triggered, so if it casts antimagic field it can only target it self, not somebody else. So even if you allowed glyph of warding to cast a "self" spell. It can't target somebody else anymore then the original caster could. This is why a glyph of warding works with concentration spells.