PDA

View Full Version : Yochlol critical hit damage

Boci
2021-10-16, 06:33 AM
So a yochlol's attack deals 1d6+2 bludgeoning or piercing damage depending on their current form, then 6d6 poison damage independent of form. So when they crit, its 2d6+2 damage, then 12d6 poison damage, or 6d6? There's no save to halve or mitigate the poison, is just added to their attacks, so I went with 12d6, for a total of 14d6+2 damage, which was pretty brutal, but they did rely on them critting.

How do you rule crit damage for the yochlol and other monsters with similar damage breakdowns?

Zhorn
2021-10-16, 07:00 AM
If it's part of the attack roll's damage and not further hidden behind a saving throw, then it doubles.
No different to sneak attack or divine smite; weapon damage + other damage. If you double the dice in one scenario, you double it in the other.

Critical Hits
When you score a critical hit, you get to roll extra dice for the attack's damage against the target. Roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together.
Note that it's "attack's damage", not "weapon's damage". The element of the damage type doesn't matter.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-10-16, 10:04 AM
If it's part of the attack roll's damage and not further hidden behind a saving throw, then it doubles.
No different to sneak attack or divine smite; weapon damage + other damage. If you double the dice in one scenario, you double it in the other.

Note that it's "attack's damage", not "weapon's damage". The element of the damage type doesn't matter.

This. Anything of the form X <type> damage + Y <other type> damage doubles the dice on crit. Anything of the form X <types> damage + targets must make a DC Y <Ability> saving throw or take Z <type> damage (or similar forms) only doubles the dice of the X damage. It's the stuff that depends only on having hit the target that doubles. Anything that requires additional steps (such as saving throws or other rolls) does not crit or double.

So yes, the Yochlol[1]'s damage should be 2d6 + 2 [bludgeoning|piercing] and 12d6 poison on a crit.

[1] That's a weird name, by the way. Yoch. Lol.

Boci
2021-10-16, 11:53 AM
Okay yeah, I figured that's how it would work, its how I did it, just checking though since that was quite a big damage spike.

[1] That's a weird name, by the way. Yoch. Lol.

Yeah, I often found myself saying "Yochol", because that was just way easier to say. I assume the "Lol" part is a reference to Lolth, since the demons serve as her handmaidens, but its still awkward to say.