PDA

View Full Version : Are there creatures in the books that mess with you in your dreams?

dehro
2021-10-18, 09:27 AM
I, (DM), have a party of level 2s that are traveling. Mix of expert players and total noobs.

One of the noobs has chosen the haunted one as his background.
He basically was told by his parents to run away whilst they were being slaughtered by some scary creature of undefined characteristics which he has not laid eyes upon.

I'm thinking I would like this entity to now appear in the character's dreams to haunt/hunt him there... And potentially hurt him at least a little in the real world too, through the dreams.
Before I customize something demonic, is there a spirit, a creature or some other entity that might do the trick?

I'm happy to nerf something powerful and keep this sub-plot going for a fair bit, in the campaign, and can make something up as well, but if I had some game legal/recognisable jumping off point, that would help.

Abracadangit
2021-10-18, 09:31 AM
I, (DM), have a party of level 2s that are traveling. Mix of expert players and total noobs.

One of the noobs has chosen the haunted one as his background.
He basically was told by his parents to run away whilst they were being slaughtered by some scary creature of undefined characteristics which he has not laid eyes upon.

I'm thinking I would like this entity to now appear in the character's dreams to haunt/hunt him there... And potentially hurt him at least a little in the real world too, through the dreams.
Before I customize something demonic, is there a spirit, a creature or some other entity that might do the trick?

I'm happy to nerf something powerful and keep this sub-plot going for a fair bit, in the campaign, and can make something up as well, but if I had some game legal/recognisable jumping off point, that would help.

I don't know if this is the exact same vibe you're going for, but as a jumping off point, night hags have the following ability:

"Nightmare Haunting (1/Day). While on the Ethereal Plane, the hag magically touches a sleeping humanoid on the Material Plane. A protection from evil and good spell cast on the target prevents this contact, as does a magic circle. As long as the contact persists, the target has dreadful visions. If these visions last for at least 1 hour, the target gains no benefit from its rest, and its hit point maximum is reduced by 5 (1d10). If this effect reduces the target's hit point maximum to 0, the target dies, and if the target was evil, its soul is trapped in the hag's soul bag. The reduction to the target's hit point maximum lasts until removed by the greater restoration spell or similar magic."

dehro
2021-10-18, 09:51 AM
This is pretty much the kind of thing I was looking for. Can't believe I forgot the hags.
Thank you!

Unoriginal
2021-10-18, 10:00 AM
Alongside the Night Hags, several entities are noted as able to mess with your dreams and give you visions, like the Demon Princes and (IIRC) some creatures with Regional Effects. There is also the Dream spell.

dafrca
2021-10-18, 01:18 PM
How about a Dream Eater? Maybe there is one who follows the character because they like their dreams?

CapnWildefyr
2021-10-18, 01:35 PM
I have a "haunted one" character who is literally haunted by the ghost of an Elder One. So just saying your player could be literally haunted, like Hamlet. Doesn't have to be a monster you get involved with per se. Either way, be sure to have the ghost's/creature's motivations figured out so you're consistent. It can be always helpful, always harmful, or (most likely) always after its own agenda, whether it helps the PC or gets the PC killed.

Now, as you have already kinda went down the dream path -- I like the night hag concept. Hags can also trade and barter with other nefarious lower planes denizens, so the hag can even be an intermediary. Something else can be the main antagonist.

dafrca
2021-10-18, 04:24 PM
Hags can also trade and barter with other nefarious lower planes denizens, so the hag can even be an intermediary. Something else can be the main antagonist.

This is a great point and a wonderful idea. :smallsmile:

dehro
2021-10-19, 09:38 AM
Great stuff all around.
I'm going to go with the night hag and keep it relatively simple. The player is at his first d&d experience.

Thunderous Mojo
2021-10-19, 11:39 AM
Dusk Hags in Eberron also would work perfectly for this, and are only CR 6.

The poster Jackal, reminded me of Dusk Hags, during a conversation in another venue. Eberron has some great creatures in it!

Brookshw
2021-10-19, 11:46 AM
There's the Region of Dreams that was a variety cosmology feature, you could use that to introduce any creature to someone's dream if you wanted, I rather liked that one, especially for Fey tomfoolery.