PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Buwga, a Goblinoid with Magical Hair (PEACH)

redmordred
2021-10-18, 11:12 AM
I've been working off and on for a while now and trying to find the right balance, that goldilocks zone for this race. I'm also interested in lore and history ideas to expand on these guys. Anyone who can give thoughtful feedback would be amazing!

Born deep in the dark reaches of forests and the mucky depths of swamps, these mysterious creatures, known around the world as buwga, gwrach, or bruxa, live in isolation from the rest of civilization. They live most of their lives in opposition to bugbears, ogres, and trolls, fighting them to protect their families.

Bewitched. Thick layers of greasy hair cover the bodies of bugwa, providing them with unique protections. By channeling innate hexes they are able to perform incredible feats of strength and wonder, being able to manipulate their forms to suit their needs.

Large Clans. Bugwa live in large clans that are built around an extended family wanting to raise their children in peace from the dangers of the world. It is uncommon to find a bugwa alone, as they commonly travel in mating pairs when outside the village.

Creature Type. You type is Fey. (I've gone back and forth on this because of Firbolg being humanoid, but at the same time Wizards is making Fey player races more and more common lately.)

Size. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Magic Locks. You have advantage on ability checks you make to initiate or escape a grapple made within 5 feet of the creature you are grappling.

Magic Reach. On your turn, when you make a melee attack or cast a spell with a range of touch, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal.

Resistance. You have resistance to fire and psychic damage, and you have advantage on saving throws against being stunned.

They also currently have a cantrip of choice and the ability to shape their hair and use it like a Loxodon's trunk, but with a range of 10 feet instead.

I feel like currently it has one or two too many things or possibly something that's too strong. Please again, feel free tell me what you think and how can I rework or expand on these guys.

sandmote
2021-10-18, 01:50 PM
This would probably be easier to parse if you listed the full list of racial features.

Goblinoids are a subset of humanoids; either remove the fey type or change they from goblinoids to some sort of fey. Magic reach sounds like Long-Limbed, and probably should be left to the bugbears. Having both that and the Loxodon's truck is probably too much. Magic Locks being written to only apply when you are grappling a creature seems a bit odd. And having resistance to one type of saving throw and a two damage types is probably too much. Maybe strip out fire resistance, since hair is relatively flammable?

redmordred
2021-10-18, 02:49 PM
This would probably be easier to parse if you listed the full list of racial features.

Goblinoids are a subset of humanoids; either remove the fey type or change they from goblinoids to some sort of fey. Magic reach sounds like Long-Limbed, and probably should be left to the bugbears. Having both that and the Loxodon's truck is probably too much. Magic Locks being written to only apply when you are grappling a creature seems a bit odd. And having resistance to one type of saving throw and a two damage types is probably too much. Maybe strip out fire resistance, since hair is relatively flammable?

I'd probably limit them to humanoid then instead like the Firbolg. Magic Reach is a feature I'm not keen on dropping but I now realize the wording technically implies currently they could have a reach of 15-20 feet (if using a reach weapon combined with their "trunk") which was not my intention. I originally had it worded so it was limited to only 10 feet and no more, regardless of the reach property.

Magic Locks intention was to just limit their advantage on grappling being right next to them as the "trunk" ability explicitly states they can grapple with it from 10 feet away.

For resistance, I could maybe drop Fire resistance and with the lack of the fey type now I can change stunned back to my original charmed maybe? Or change the saving throw to 11 + Dex + Con AC? Or leave it as is. Also tempted to maybe change it to acid, force, or necrotic instead of fire. Either way the idea I had was the the magical energy that animates the "hair" also would grant it unique properties that would protect it in someway as well.

Here's the current wording of the "trunk" ability:

As a bonus action, you can extrude a pseudopod that is up to 6 inches wide and 10 feet long or reform it into your body. The pseudopod can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use this pseudopod to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 + your Strength modifier in bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you choose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. The pseudopod can’t activate magic items.

It's a combination of the Loxodon's trunk and Shape Self from the UA Plasmoids. This has also been the primary idea I've been building around and can't really afford to get rid of it. If I need to remove one of the other abilities then so be it.

redmordred
2021-10-22, 08:15 PM
What about this?

If you are not incapacitated, you can mentally reshape and temper your fur to form tendrils (no action required). As a bonus action, can extrude a number of tendrils equal to your proficiency bonus (minimum 2) that are up to 4 inches wide and 10 feet long or reform it into your body. A tendril can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use a tendril to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier in bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you choose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Your tendrils can’t use tools or activate magic items.

sandmote
2021-10-23, 08:29 PM
If you are not incapacitated, you can mentally reshape and temper your fur to form tendrils (no action required). As a bonus action, can extrude a number of tendrils equal to your proficiency bonus (minimum 2) that are up to 4 inches wide and 10 feet long or reform it into your body. A tendril can lift a number of pounds equal to five times your Strength score. You can use a tendril to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier in bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the natural weapon you choose, and you are proficient with your unarmed strikes. Your tendrils can’t use tools or activate magic items.Maybe, "you can adjust the number of tendrils as a bonus action, creating a number of them up to your proficiency bonus."

And then "your tendrils can each lift XX pounds," so that 6 tendrils combined can't lift 5*6*your strength score.

You're also always proficient with your unarmed strikes, so your don't need to write that.

Trying to update that:

If you are not incapacitated, you can use a bonus action mentally reshape and temper your fur to form tendrils or reform them back into your body. You can extrude a number of tendrils up to to your proficiency bonus that are up to 4 inches wide and 10 feet long or reform it into your body. A tendril can lift up to 10 pounds. You can use a tendril to do the following simple tasks: lift, drop, hold, push, or pull an object or a creature; open or close a door or a container; grapple someone; or make an unarmed strike. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 + your Strength modifier in bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage, as appropriate to the way you attack with your tendrils. Your tendrils can’t use tools or activate magic items.

redmordred
2021-10-24, 09:22 AM
Maybe, "you can adjust the number of tendrils as a bonus action, creating a number of them up to your proficiency bonus."

And then "your tendrils can each lift XX pounds," so that 6 tendrils combined can't lift 5*6*your strength score.

You're also always proficient with your unarmed strikes, so your don't need to write that.

Oh! Those are some great points. I didn't even think about lowering the carry weight if I was gonna increase the amount of tendrils. Great catch!

redmordred
2021-10-28, 06:00 PM
Magic Reach.

Your inherent eldritch gifts grant you farther reach than most other races.

On your turn, when you make a melee weapon attack or cast a spell with a range of touch, your reach for it is up to 10 feet instead.

or

On your turn, when you make a melee spell attack or cast a spell with a range of touch, your reach for it is up to 10 feet instead.

Which seems like more flavorful feature and which seems better balanced, especially when considering the tendril ability?

Potato_Priest
2021-10-29, 04:29 AM
If you really want to play up the magic witchy vibe you could give them access to a ritual spell. I'm not sure which one would be the best fit, but ritual casting screams deep magic to me.

redmordred
2021-11-01, 10:03 AM
If you really want to play up the magic witchy vibe you could give them access to a ritual spell. I'm not sure which one would be the best fit, but ritual casting screams deep magic to me.

There aren't really that many ritual spells, other than Find Familiar, that would be useful to them or are low enough level to be balanced, I think.

Right now I'm trying to flesh out their technical ability to wield weapons with their magic hair. What do you guys think of how this is worded and/or balanced?

Example: On your turn, when you make a melee spell attack or cast a spell with a range of touch, your reach for it is up to 10 feet instead. In addition, when you use this trait to make a melee weapon attack, your reach for it is 5 feet greater than normal. If the weapon has the heavy or reach properties then the attack is made with disadvantage.

icefractal
2021-11-02, 07:19 PM
If you're worried about interaction with the tendrils, why not make it mutually exclusive (since you're using the same hair for both). Or in fact, just make it a property of the tendrils, since those are 10' long to begin with.

Like, what if you just added "deliver a touch spell" and "wield a melee weapon" as things you could do with the tendrils, which would thus have a 10' reach?

Related, if you're worried about too many abilities, it might be interesting to have some of them be toggled between. Like if your hair could be "extended" (forming tendrils) or "wrapped" (giving resistances).

An alternate toggle would be between your mystical energy being "sealed" (resistances) or "flowing" (cantrip).

redmordred
2021-11-02, 09:30 PM
If you're worried about interaction with the tendrils, why not make it mutually exclusive (since you're using the same hair for both). Or in fact, just make it a property of the tendrils, since those are 10' long to begin with.

Like, what if you just added "deliver a touch spell" and "wield a melee weapon" as things you could do with the tendrils, which would thus have a 10' reach?

Related, if you're worried about too many abilities, it might be interesting to have some of them be toggled between. Like if your hair could be "extended" (forming tendrils) or "wrapped" (giving resistances).

An alternate toggle would be between your mystical energy being "sealed" (resistances) or "flowing" (cantrip).

That could work. I could just rewrite the main ability to include the touch spells and melee weapon attacks. I also like the idea of being able to toggle back and forth between offense and defense. It makes it more complex but I'll try splashing something together for some feedback in a few days. Thanks for the insight!