PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Powder Mage: A Sorcerous Origin for settings with firearms

gloryblaze
2021-10-18, 02:17 PM
Sorcerous Origin: Powder Mage
While some sorcerers have the blood of dragons or gods running through their veins, your blood is tainted with gunpowder and lead. Perhaps you miraculously survived a shooting that should have been fatal as an infant, or maybe you're the descendant or reincarnation of a famous gunslinger. No matter how your powers awakened, the faint scent of gunsmoke that lingers around you has marked you forever as a powder mage, giving you a mystical connection to gunpowder—you can ignite it by will alone, and you can shape and direct gunpowder blasts, enhancing your own gunplay.

Powder Magic:
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Powder Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know. When you cast flame arrows or swift quiver using this feature, you can target a bandolier of bullets instead of a quiver of arrows.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a divination or a transmutation spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Powder Spells

Sorcerer Level
Spell

1st
hunter's mark, lock on*

3rd
magic weapon, pyrotechnics

5th
flame arrows, haste

7th
freedom of movement, nitro blitz*

9th
conjure volley, swift quiver

Bonus Proficiencies:
At 1st level, you gain proficiency with light armor and firearms.

Powder Sense:
Also at 1st level, the scent of gunpowder is an old friend to you. As a bonus action, you can open your senses to detect gunpowder. Until the end of your next turn, you know the precise location of any firearms, bullets, or gunpowder within 120 feet of you, even if they are in containers, being worn or carried, or behind total cover. You can also tell if any creature you can see within range has fired a firearm within the last 24 hours—a faint cloud of smoke that only you can see appears around such creatures for the duration of this ability.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Extra Attack:
Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. Moreover, if you make all of your attacks with a firearm you are proficient with, you can use your Charisma modifier, instead of Dexterity, for the attack and damage rolls of those attacks.

Remote Detonation:
Starting at 14th level, once per turn when you detect a firearm, bullet, or source of gunpowder using your Powder Sense, you can expend 1 to 5 sorcery points to cause that object to detonate. If the target is loose gunpowder, a container of gunpowder, or a nonmagical firearm or bullet, it is destroyed. You choose whether the detonation takes the shape of a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on the target; a 25-foot cube originating from the target; a 10-foot radius, 40-foot high cylinder centered on the target; a 100-foot-long, 5-foot-wide line originating from the target; or a 30-foot cone originating from the target.

Creatures in the area of the detonation must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC, taking 3d12 fire damage on a failed save or half as much damage on a successful one. This damage increases by 1d12 for each sorcery point you spend beyond 1.

Powder Trance:
At 18th level, you can enter a powder trance for 1 minute as a bonus action if you are touching a source of gunpowder (this includes any firearm or bullet you are carrying). While in a powder trance, you gain the following benefits:

You can add your Charisma modifier to your AC, the damage rolls of ranged weapon attacks you make with firearms, and to the results of any Strength or Dexterity checks or saving throws you make.
When you make a ranged weapon attack with a firearm and miss, you can use a reaction to change the bullet's trajectory mid-flight. You can reroll the attack with advantage against a different target within 60 feet of the original target.
You can use Remote Detonation without spending sorcery points. When you do, its damage roll is 3d12.

Once you use this bonus action, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest, unless you spend 5 sorcery points to use it again.

Working on subclasses for a Wild West setting. Just using the DMG firearms, no fancy custom firearm rules. Comments and criticism appreciated! The things I'm most iffy on are the level 6 and level 14 features:

I went with Cha to attack/damage at 6 to disincentivize dipping. I figure a sorcerer probably wants at least a 14, maybe a 16 Dex at character creation just for AC purposes, so not having Cha to attack/damage at level 1 isn't a huge deal. By level 6, you'll have an ASI under your belt, so some sorcerers will have a 14 Dex and an 18 Cha, and at that point the attack stat switch is nice. I would be open to either moving this to level 1 or removing it altogether and just having the subclass be MAD, depending on feedback.

The level 14 feature is pretty strong (basically Erupting Earth as a bonus action, plus it can disarm foes that use nonmagical firearms) but it's also kind of niche—even in a Wild West setting, there will be foes that don't use guns (like animals/monsters) and there may not be loose gunpowder lying around. Looking for feedback on whether the power v. situationality balance looks about right or if it needs to be tweaked.

Lock On
1st-level divination
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: S
Duration: 1 round

Choose a creature you can see within range. The first attack you make against the target before the end of your next turn automatically hits.

Nitro Blitz
4th-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a ranged weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a number of ranged weapon attacks equal to the number of hostile creatures you can see within range of your weapon (up to a maximum of 5), otherwise the spell fails. You make one attack against each hostile creature you can see. Each attack that hits detonates in an explosion of magical energy, dealing an additional 1d10 force damage.

Additionally, each creature you hit suffers the effects of the dispel magic spell as if you had cast it on them at 3rd level.

Garfunion
2021-10-19, 01:19 AM
Edit: I did say that this archetype didn’t fit the sorcerer. But after thinking about it I think it could work however the weapon and armor proficiency and extra attack doesn’t.

——The features——-

Powder sense: I guess it’s fine but how often are they really going to need to use it?

Extra attack: it’s fine but really what is the sorcerer gonna do with all those extra spell slots when they’re using their action to make firearm attacks instead? I would copy the bladesinger extra attack feature instead.

Remote detonate: I would just cast a spell instead of using this feature. For example using melf’s minute meteor can easily represent bullets exploding on people.

Powder trance: this feature seems rather weak compared to bladesong and other spells.

——Spells——

Locked on: is very powerful but also weak due to its cast time. It would be a very niche spell.
Suggest replacing it with or reflavoring Zephyr Strike spell.

Nitro blitz: The spell seems to be all over the place and too restrictive(bad mechanic) in an attempt to balance it.

Note:
I would love to have a weapon oriented sorcerer archetype but it just doesn’t fit the class.
I would simply change some of the features of the wizard bladesinger archetype to make it work with firearms instead.

After thinking about it I might come back to this thread and post my own version of a gun powder sorcerer.

gloryblaze
2021-10-19, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll try to go through and address everything. And I'd definitely love to see your take on a powder mage, just to compare and contrast!

Edit: I did say that this archetype didn’t fit the sorcerer. But after thinking about it I think it could work however the weapon and armor proficiency and extra attack doesn’t.

Is there a specific reason you don't like weapon/armor profs and extra attack on a sorcerer? Light armor proficiency is pretty equivalent to the Draconic Sorcerer level 1 unarmored AC feature—worse by default (12 vs 13), potentially better if you can find +2 studded leather. I don't think it's out of bounds power wise, certainly. Furthermore, the existing subclasses that are most equivalent to this subclass are, in my mind, the Bladesinger and Swords Bard (and to an extent, the Hexblade). All of those classes get additional weapon and armor proficiencies on top of what their class normally gives them, and they all get Extra Attack at level 6 (warlock gets it at 5, even!)

——The features——-

Powder sense: I guess it’s fine but how often are they really going to need to use it?

This is very much a ribbon feature. The real features are the extra spells and the bonus proficiencies—light armor prof is akin to the Dragon Sorc AC feature, like I mentioned above, and firearms will do more damage than cantrips at the same (or only slightly lower) attack modifier, assuming 14-16 Dex. Still, I can definitely see some cool roleplaying moments with this ribbon!

Sorcerer: Ya dadgum son of biscuit! Ya shot Miss Buttonwillow dead in her store last night!
Bandit: I ain't never killed nobody!
Sorcerer: Liar! I can smell the gunsmoke on ya!

Paladin: I can't hardly believe those bandits were working for the Agua Fria water company! What's a water company gonna do with all that gunpowder they stole from the cargo transport train?
Sorcerer: By the gods... I can sense that powder beneath us right now! They're gonna blow the town well to the Nine Hells so the townsfolk have ta buy water from Agua Fria!

Extra attack: it’s fine but really what is the sorcerer gonna do with all those extra spell slots when they’re using their action to make firearm attacks instead? I would copy the bladesinger extra attack feature instead.

I mean, same thing a bladesinger or swords bard does with all their spell slots! The Extra Attack isn't meant to be this sorcerer's main or only action option. You're still a full caster, so using your action to drop a hypnotic pattern or fireball or whatever will still be the right choice much of the time. But once you're already concentrating on a good spell, or if you're out of slots or trying to conserve them, you have a reasonable Attack action to fall back on instead of plinking away with fire bolt.

Remote detonate: I would just cast a spell instead of using this feature. For example using melf’s minute meteor can easily represent bullets exploding on people.

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here—do you mean that I should have modeled this feature after Melf's minute meteors and borrowed that spell's mechanics, or are you saying that if you were playing this subclass as-written, you would rather spend your bonus action on Melf's than use it to use this feature?

In the former case: I strongly considered that, actually! However, I decided that it was just a little too verisimilitude breaking to have the sorcerer create gunpowder explosions ex nihilo without a source of gunpowder to explode. Plus, if I went that route, it would mean that this sorcerer couldn't detonate other people's guns in their hands, which I think is majorly cool! I do think this feature is situational, though, which is why I mentioned it was one I was concerned about back in the OP. One thing I might do to help alleviate that as DM is allow the sorcerer to use a free object interaction to toss a bullet they have up to 20 feet and then use this feature on that bullet.

In the latter case: I think this feature has several clear upsides over Melf's: It does more damage, it has a much larger AoE, it doesn't require concentration, it doesn't require that you use an action to get it up and running, and it costs 1 sorcery point per 3d12 damage instead of 1 3rd-level slot (5 sorcery points) for 12d6 damage. It also lets you frontload damage—you could spend 5 sorcery points all at once to get a 7d12 (45.5) damage big AoE all in one turn, whereas with Melf's you're getting six 2d6 (7) damage tiny AoEs over the course of 3 to 6 turns, doing only 42 damage over a longer period of time and in a smaller area. (And if you do spread out your Remote Detonation uses, the comparison gets even more favorable—5 uses over 5 turns gets you 15d12 (97.5) damage for 5 sorcery points!)

Powder trance: this feature seems rather weak compared to bladesong and other spells.

I'd be open to buffing this. Powder mages from the novels get a healing factor while in a powder trance, maybe adding some regeneration to this feature would help?

——Spells——

Locked on: is very powerful but also weak due to its cast time. It would be a very niche spell.
Suggest replacing it with or reflavoring Zephyr Strike spell.

I agree that lock on is pretty niche! It's a homebrew spell that already exists in my game independent of this subclass, though, and it was too flavorful for me not to put it on the subclass spell list. As for context for why it exists, one of my players wanted to use my homebrew spell research/creation rules to make a version of true strike that actually might be worth using once in a while haha. Also, it's significantly less niche on a sorcerer than an artificer, ranger, or wizard (the classes whose list it's natively on) because it can be quickened!

Nitro blitz: The spell seems to be all over the place and too restrictive(bad mechanic) in an attempt to balance it.

This spell also exists in my world independently of the subclass (it's a ranger spell), but I'm definitely open to feedback on revising it! I'm not entirely sure what your problem with it is, though. Let me explain my thought process from when I designed it, and you can jump in and tell me what you disagree with:

This spell was modeled off of steel wind strike. SWS lets you make up to 5 attacks against creatures within 30 feet of you. Each hit does 6d10 damage (33). Finally, SWS has a minor upside (a teleport that can be used to reposition yourself without taking AoOs). It's a level 5 spell.

Nitro blitz lets you make up to 5 attacks (equivalent) against creatures within range of your firearm (better—the short range of a revolver is 40 ft., and you can go further than that with Sharpshooter or if you're willing to take disadvantage). However, these attacks are based on Dex instead of your spellcasting attack bonus (worse). Each hit does (roughly) 2d8 + 3 (revolver) + 1d10 (spell) damage (17.5). That's noticeably worse damage. Finally, nitro blitz has a situational but potentially powerful rider—dispelling buffs.

Based on the worse damage and that it requires weapon attacks instead of spell attacks, I went with 4th-level for the spell.

Garfunion
2021-10-19, 04:13 PM
Is there a specific reason you don't like weapon/armor profs and extra attack on a sorcerer?

Out of all the official sorcerer archetypes none of them provide weapons or armor proficiency(unless I missed one). My belief is that the sorcerer doesn’t channel the magic through the weapon, they are the weapon.

“They don’t wield the gun, they are the gun.”

Here is my take on the archetype so far.

Gunpowder Blood
While some sorcerers have the blood of dragons or gods running through their veins, your blood is tainted with gunpowder and lead. Perhaps you miraculously survived a shooting that should have been fatal as an infant, or maybe you're the descendant or reincarnation of a famous gunslinger. No matter how your powers awakened, the faint scent of gunsmoke that lingers around you has marked you forever as a powder mage, giving you a mystical connection to gunpowder.

Powder Magic
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Powder Spells table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Whenever you gain a sorcerer level, you can replace one spell you gained from this feature with another spell of the same level. The new spell must be a evocation or a transmutation spell from the sorcerer, warlock, or wizard spell list.

Sorcerer
Lvl——Spells
1st——magic stone, burning hands, catapult
3rd——pyrotechnics, shatter
5th——melf’s minute meteor, tiny
———-servants(restrictions)
7th——fire shield, wall of fire
9th——immolation, telekinesis(restrictions)

Some spells learned by this feature have restrictions.
Tiny servants spell can only be cast on bullets that contain gunpowder.
Telekinesis spell only works on objects that contains gunpowder such as firearms that are loaded with gunpowder bullets. Creatures have disadvantage on the strength check to maintain control over the object.

Powder Sense
Also at 1st level, the scent of gunpowder is an old friend to you. You can detect the presence of bullets, firearms, and gunpowder within 120ft of you.
You can also tell if any creature you can see within range has fired a firearm within the last 24 hours.

Additionally you may use a handful of gunpowder or bullets to replace the material components of any sorcerer spell you cast that doesn’t require a costly consumable component.

Hand-“Gun”
At 1st level, you learn the magic stone cantrip and may imbue up to 3 tiny pieces of metal such as bullet or ball bearings instead of pebbles. If imbued metal, the damage type changes to piercing.
Additionally if you spend one sorcery point while casting this cantrip, you may throw one magic stone as part of the casting of the cantrip.

Expert Hand-“Gun”
Starting at 6th level, when you use your action to throw a magic stone, you may throw one additional magic stone as part of the same action. The throwing range of your magic stone increases to 120ft.
Additionally you can add half your sorcerer level(round down) as bonus damage to the damage roll of any magic stone you throw.

14 level
An effect that allows them to create misfires and/or cause disadvantage on attack rolls with firearms

gloryblaze
2021-10-19, 05:42 PM
Out of all the official sorcerer archetypes none of them provide weapons or armor proficiency(unless I missed one). My belief is that the sorcerer doesn’t channel the magic through the weapon, they are the weapon.

“They don’t wield the gun, they are the gun.”

I see! I think this might just be a different strokes for different folks situation. I personally see no reason to discount the possibility of any sorcerous origin ever giving weapon/armor profs just because none have so far—after all, no wizard archetypes offered such proficiencies... until bladesinger! WoTC has even put weapon/armor profs on UA sorcerers multiple times in the past (the original favored soul and the stone sorcerer). To me, this indicates that weapon/armor profs aren't a "no go" flavor-wise for sorcerers (otherwise they wouldn't have put out a second weapon sorcerer after revising favored soul)—they just haven't found a weapon sorc they're happy with yet.

I do think your version is pretty cool, though! Not a good fit for my game, since I'm explicitly trying to make a weapon sorc, but a cool alternate take on the concept.

Garfunion
2021-10-19, 07:28 PM
I see! I think this might just be a different strokes for different folks situation.
Guess that is what is going on here. You are try to make a Gunmage out of a full caster. Have you thought about using the Paladin instead?

Anyway, I’m not sure if I can help you. I will definitely still reevaluate what it means to be a gunpowder mage to you. My version of Powder Sense may still be usable for your archetype though.

gloryblaze
2021-10-19, 07:40 PM
Guess that is what is going on here. You are try to make a Gunmage out of a full caster. Have you thought about using the Paladin instead?

Anyway, I’m not sure if I can help you. I will definitely still reevaluate what it means to be a gunpowder mage to you. My version of Powder Sense may still be usable for your archetype though.

I'm actually making gunslinger (or otherwise Wild West themed) archetypes for all the classes (including some homebrew ones). The paladin is going to be a sheriff- or deputy-inspired subclass.

Garfunion
2021-10-24, 12:19 AM
By the way how much is gunpowder ammunition in your campaign?

I’ve also may have found a workaround for the non-proficiency use of firearms for the sorcerer archetype. However I’m still iterating on it.

Gunpowder Whisperer
At 1st level, while wielding a firearm loaded with gunpowder ammunition, you may spend 1 piece of ammunition contained within the firearm as if you fired the gun to perform one of the following actions.

•Whisperer’s Attack: you may use your action to make a spell attack against a creature within normal range of the firearm. If you hit, you deal damage appropriate for the firearm that you are welding and add your sorcerer levels as bonus damage to the roll, instead of your dexterity modifier.

•Gunpowder Materials: replaced the material spell component of any sorcerer spell you cast. Can be combined with distant whispering using the same spent ammunition.

•Distant Whispering: when you cast a spell that has a range of 5 feet or greater, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double the range of the spell or if the spell has a range of touch, you make the range of the the spell 30ft.

gloryblaze
2021-10-24, 02:08 AM
By the way how much is gunpowder ammunition in your campaign?

Bullets cost 3gp for 10 by the DMG, but I'm thinking of bringing that down to 3gp for 20 to reflect the fact that bullets would be more common in the Wild West than most DnD settings

Potato_Priest
2021-10-24, 04:08 AM
Honestly, I like this, and I think it works pretty well. I hope when you're done with your homebrews you'll put all the wild west stuff together into one package for us!

I only have two critiques.

First, why do powder mages pick specifially divination and transmutation spells from the warlock, sorcerer, and warlock list? I'm not saying you're wrong to choose those schools, but I want to know why you did.

Second, as garfunion said, Nitro Blitz is a really awkwardly designed spell. What do you want it to do, and why?

My last point isn't really a critique so much as wanting to share my own work in this field. Here were my homebrew rules for my weird west Oregon trail campaign. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkuZu1b1m) I'm especially proud of the shotgun design (they might technically have been a little OP but the players loved them, and they got even the party wizard in on the gunslinging fun) and how the reloading property I came up with encouraged people to use cover during their turns. Steal anything you like.

gloryblaze
2021-10-24, 04:34 AM
Honestly, I like this, and I think it works pretty well. I hope when you're done with your homebrews you'll put all the wild west stuff together into one package for us!

Thanks! I'll have to consider putting together like a compendium or something at the end.

I only have two critiques.

First, why do powder mages pick specifially divination and transmutation spells from the warlock, sorcerer, and warlock list? I'm not saying you're wrong to choose those schools, but I want to know why you did.

Hunter's mark and lock on are both divination; magic weapon, pyrotechnics, flame arrows, haste, nitro blitz, and swift quiver are all transmutation. The odd ones out are freedom of movement (abjuration) and conjure volley (conjuration). The only official sorcerous origins with spell lists (clockwork and aberrant) both get to pick two schools for spell swapping, so I went with 2 schools as well.

Second, as garfunion said, Nitro Blitz is a really awkwardly designed spell. What do you want it to do, and why?

Nitro blitz is a ranger spell that's been in my home game for a while. It has a handful of design goals:

1) be a neat non-concentration spell for ranger
2) be a spell that involves ranged weapon attacks (similar to how booming blade and green-flame blade involve melee weapon attacks
3) Replicate the video game ability (https://epicbattlefantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nitro_Blitz) it is named for

As for the design process/how it was balanced, I'll refer back to this quote from myself earlier in the thread:

This spell was modeled off of steel wind strike. SWS lets you make up to 5 attacks against creatures within 30 feet of you. Each hit does 6d10 damage (33). Finally, SWS has a minor upside (a teleport that can be used to reposition yourself without taking AoOs). It's a level 5 spell.

Nitro blitz lets you make up to 5 attacks (equivalent) against creatures within range of your firearm (better—the short range of a revolver is 40 ft., and you can go further than that with Sharpshooter or if you're willing to take disadvantage). However, these attacks are based on Dex instead of your spellcasting attack bonus (worse). Each hit does (roughly) 2d8 + 3 (revolver) + 1d10 (spell) damage (17.5). That's noticeably worse damage. Finally, nitro blitz has a situational but potentially powerful rider—dispelling buffs.

Based on the worse damage and that it requires weapon attacks instead of spell attacks, I went with 4th-level for the spell.

My last point isn't really a critique so much as wanting to share my own work in this field. Here were my homebrew rules for my weird west Oregon trail campaign. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkuZu1b1m) I'm especially proud of the shotgun design (they might technically have been a little OP but the players loved them, and they got even the party wizard in on the gunslinging fun) and how the reloading property I came up with encouraged people to use cover during their turns. Steal anything you like.

These are cool and (other than the shotgun) definitely fit in more with the base weapons than the DMG firearms, which have kind of inflated damage values. Thanks for sharing! I'm probably going to continue using the DMG firearms for my subclasses for 2 main reasons: 1) if someone randomly comes across my homebrew and likes it, they can use it out of the box without cross-referencing another homebrew, 2) I often treat firearm proficiency as a bit of a feature in and of itself, so nerfing firearms overall would make me go back and adjust the power levels of my subclasses

Garfunion
2021-10-24, 08:02 PM
Here is another version of the archetype that does include firearm use.

However I might actually go back to my previous version and focus more on incorporating magic stone cantrip with a firearm and remove the spell list and focus on additional options for pyrotechnics spell.

Also it might be easier to make a list of spells that works with firearms and firearm related equipment, instead of saying it does each time you make an archetype.

Gunpowder Blood

While some sorcerers have the blood of dragons or gods running through their veins, your blood is tainted with gunpowder and lead. Perhaps you miraculously survived a shooting that should have been fatal as an infant, or maybe you're the descendant or reincarnation of a famous gunslinger. No matter how your powers awakened, the faint scent of gun-smoke lingers around you, giving you a mystical connection to gunpowder and bullets.

Bullet Magic:
You learn additional spells when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown on the Bullet Magic table. Each of these spells counts as a sorcerer spell for you, but it doesn't count against the number of sorcerer spells you know.

Sorcerer
Lvl Spells
1st pyrotechnics*
3rd cordon of arrows
5th conjure barrage
7th mordenkainen’s faithful hound
9th conjure volley

*Special
Pyrotechnics: You learn this spell at 1st level and can cast it using a 1st level spell slot. Additionally you can target a nonmagical bullet or handful of gunpowder.

Powder Sense:
Also at 1st level, the “scent” of gunpowder is an old friend to you. You can detect the presence and direction of gunpowder within 120ft of you.
You can also use your action to tell if any creature you can see within range has fired a firearm within the last 24 hours or is wielding/holstering a loaded firearm.

Gun Whisperer
At 1st level, while wielding a loaded firearm, you may spend 1 piece of ammunition contained within the firearm as if you fired the gun, to perform one of the following actions.

•Whisperer’s Attack: you can use your action to make a spell attack against a creature within normal range of the firearm. If you hit, you deal damage appropriate for the firearm that you are welding but, add your sorcerer levels as bonus damage to the roll, instead of your dexterity modifier.
•Bullet Materials: replaced the material spell component of any sorcerer spell you cast that doesn’t require a costly consumable component.

Improved Pyrotechnics
Starting at 6th level, your connection with the gunpowder becomes stronger giving you additional effects for your pyrotechnics spell. You can target a number of additional bullet equal to your charisma modifier when you cast this spell. You also gain additional options to choose from when casting this spell. List below;

•Detonation: you cause the target to explode, each creature within 5ft of it must succeed on a dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 fire or thunder damage(your choice). Subsequent damage from this spell on a turn does not stack.
•Misfire: you cause a bullet you know is loaded within a firearm to misfire, requiring a creature to use its action to clear the misfire before using the firearm. If a creature is wielding/holstering the firearm, they can attempt to succeeds on a charisma saving throw to prevent the misfire.

Double Tap
Also at 6th level, when you do not reduce a creature’s hit points to 0 with your whisperer’s attack. You can spend 2 sorcery points to make one additional whisperer’s attack against the creature.

Bullet Step
At 14th level, ……. a teleport feature using a bullet

Xxxxxx
18th level,…….. Pyrotechnics spell, cast at-will, bonus action