PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #266 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-01-11, 02:54 PM
New comic is up.

By the way, at the risk of jinxing it, it seems like the server is running smoothly today. Thanks to Ray and the crew at the ISP for fixing the problem.

Deuce
2006-01-11, 02:56 PM
Dig the cat, nice Bloefield touch . . . :)

Flippy
2006-01-11, 02:57 PM
Great comic again giant! Elan just totally kicks ass once again, in a way comparable to the great "Wow Roy, you're not just a psychic, you're a future psychic!" comic.

Karellen
2006-01-11, 02:58 PM
Ah, sadness, Lord Shojo isn't a sweet little girl. Well, sleeping old guys with secret awesome powers are cool too.

Greebo
2006-01-11, 02:58 PM
I'm somewhat disappointed...

... after Thog got to use Rocket Skates, I was looking forward to the lazer beam eyed robot. ;)

Greebo
2006-01-11, 02:59 PM
Ah, sadness, Lord Shojo isn't a sweet little girl. Well, sleeping old guys with secret awesome powers are cool too.

Yeah...um...somehow I don't think even Elan will go that far. :D

Sc00by
2006-01-11, 02:59 PM
Oh I really wanted Roy to be right! He'd have been even better as a female Horse! ;)

Karellen
2006-01-11, 03:00 PM
Incidentally, do I sense a measure of satire in this strip over the incessant speculation and debate over who and what Lord Shojo is? ;)

Eriol
Soon didn't have a goatee, but I still say it's him.

Interesting...

jogom
shhh, or you will awake mighty lord Shojo

Sylvius
There are times, like this one, when Elan very much reminds me of Noober.

Deuce
2006-01-11, 03:01 PM
Oh I really wanted Roy to be right! He'd have been even better as a female Horse! ;)

Or maybe a half-orc - half-elf halfling with half an eyepatch? Or is that idea to half-brained? :)

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:03 PM
I wanted a vampire horse personly or even better a vamparic tree! Lets see durkon react that that one

Antina
2006-01-11, 03:04 PM
Oh paleeze.... let the cat be lord shojo... :(

Omellette
2006-01-11, 03:05 PM
Incidentally, do I sense a measure of satire in this strip over the incessant speculation and debate over who and what Lord Shojo is? ;)

Nooooo, Giant would NEVER do that! Never, ever, ever, ever...

;D ::) ;D

/sarcasm

themob212

Yes a vamparic cat!

Antina

GOOD ONE! Really really GOOD one!!! :)

Malachi, the Lich King
2006-01-11, 03:07 PM
New comic is up.

Thank you.

By the way, at the risk of jinxing it, it seems like the server is running smoothly today. Thanks to Ray and the crew at the ISP for fixing the problem.

I'm not having any difficulties today. Actually, its running faster for me than it ever has so the improvements seem to be working for the nonce anyway. RawBear kicks.

Antina
2006-01-11, 03:08 PM
Yes a vamparic cat!

Cool - letīs go into details, maybe the giant has mercy on us and the old man turns out to be the familiar.(for security-assassin reasons: Belkar comes in and kils the old man, the cat turns out to be very very pissed and sighs: "Oh my, they turn not to last as long as in the good old days...)
;D

Reaver225
2006-01-11, 03:08 PM
Wow. That is one heck of a lot of venerablism in one person.

theKOT
2006-01-11, 03:09 PM
Shojo does bear a resemblance to Soon, Same moustache thingy and similar clothes. I also noted the nod to the endless speculation that takes place in the approx. 48-72 hours between strips. I loved Roy's line about "sent from the future to punish us". Now for the happy two minutes before I start counting the hours till friday....
[edit] man, that was one disjointed post....

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:10 PM
Cool - letīs go into details, maybe the giant has mercy on us and the old man turns out to be the familiar.(for security-assassin reasons: Belkar comes in and kils the old man, the cat turns out to be very very pissed and sighs: "Oh my, they turn not to last as long as in the good old days...)
;D

Or he is the chair after belkar stabs both the man and the cat!

Saxov
2006-01-11, 03:11 PM
Bloefield.. ? I thought about Godfather....
Don Shojo... :)
"i see, you have problem... you come to me with this problem, eeh... I'll make the problem disapear..." :D

Lady_Orc
2006-01-11, 03:12 PM

Oh gods yes, that was the first thing I thought of. Hope there's not a shark tank nearby.

Duraska
2006-01-11, 03:12 PM
Let's have a 12 page discussion on whether or not his cat is a robotic kitty. Oh, and what alignment do you think his cat is? :)

(If I know cats - and trust me, I do - it's chaotic neutral!)

Deuce
2006-01-11, 03:13 PM
I love the "dramatic" lighting of the room (yes, seen before with Shojo and Miko). He must of had a Bard design his lighting set-up.

SITB
For some strange reason I keep picturing this:

Roy:"Do you expect me to talk?"
The cat:"No Mr.Greenhilt, I expect you to die."

Mumle_Master
Or maybe an old man took his chair, and next strip the real Shojo steps in?...

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-11, 03:14 PM

:D

soozenw
2006-01-11, 03:14 PM

you know..that is EXACTLY what i thought. ;D

Deuce
2006-01-11, 03:15 PM
Let's have a 12 page discussion on whether or not his cat is a robotic kitty. Oh, and what alignment do you think his cat is? :)

Pity Miko took all their gear, Roy could have pulled out a nice snack for the cat out of his Bag of Tricks.

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:15 PM

I dont know what cats you have but mine is chaotic evil! (Not in a good mood as she woke me up by sitting on my chest and patting my face with her claws). Bet you the kitten has evil lazer eyes

Coffee_Dragon
2006-01-11, 03:17 PM

Or he is the floor under the chair!

A-a vampiric floor?

No?

Antina
2006-01-11, 03:18 PM

That line is pretty cool too! *lying-on-the-floor-laughing* :)

Antina
2006-01-11, 03:19 PM
Pity Miko took all their gear, Roy could have pulled out a nice snack for the cat out of his Bag of Tricks.

She did?? Why is Roy still wearing his evil-evil-eeevil crown-thingy of Xykons?

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:19 PM
Or he is the floor under the chair!

A-a vampiric floor?

No?

The whole room is vamparic!

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:21 PM

And then Roy can be put to death in some crasy way like giant vamparic fruit loops!

Elurindel
2006-01-11, 03:24 PM
So at last, all is revealed, and it turns out Shojo is an old man. I guess lordly figures get to live to be much older than your average peasant. To be honest, I was expecting more, but then the giant is known for his sidestepping our expectations

theKOT
2006-01-11, 03:26 PM
Wait, how did Roy know about robots and that stuff? Has he been to the future?!?

chibibar
2006-01-11, 03:27 PM
heh.. intresting....

but I think it is a "Spoooooky magical vampiric cat"

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-01-11, 03:27 PM
I KNEW he would have a cat! :D

He's preatty much how a thought he would look.

in responce to theKOT's post: Haven't you ever heard of metagame banter?

rosebud
2006-01-11, 03:28 PM
Has Roy ever been that visually pissed? (Eyebrows, Eyes, and Teeth) I don't recall the teeth before. Even the "valley of Roy being really pissed" (#203) was just eyebrows and eyes.

Gary_Schaper
2006-01-11, 03:28 PM
Bah. That cat's a, well, a pretty harmless looking cat. Other Rat could have him for breakfast.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-01-11, 03:29 PM
Actully there was one other time. . . hang on i'll find it.

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 03:29 PM
GAH! I wait and wait and wait patiently (or I troll the forums) for the next OotS to be posted, and when it is, it's hysterical but doesn't seem to get anywhere* quickly! I haven't had this much INeedToSeeWhatHappensNext angst since the Larry Gardener strip!

*twitch* I'll never last till Friday...

*For what it's worth, Shojo looks pretty much like what I thought he would. But I love Elan and Roy.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-01-11, 03:31 PM
Has Roy ever been that visually pissed? (Eyebrows, Eyes, and Teeth) I don't recall the teeth before. Even the "valley of Roy being really pissed" (#203) was just eyebrows and eyes.

Aha! I found it:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=179

In the last pannel.

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 03:33 PM
113 and 114 at Xykon
43 at Belkar

Istielthia
2006-01-11, 03:34 PM
I, too, am in the camp that desperately wants the cat to be the true Lord Shojo.

I need a time machine and coordinates for Friday. Who's with me?!

chibibar
2006-01-11, 03:35 PM
Bah. That cat's a, well, a pretty harmless looking cat. Other Rat could have him for breakfast.

that is what they said about the white rabbit.........

ref
2006-01-11, 03:37 PM
Heh, Elan at his best. ;D

Nice strip, Giant.

brummeren
2006-01-11, 03:39 PM
That looks ALOT like Soon... Now, back to Belkar vs. Miko!

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-11, 03:40 PM
Wait, how did Roy know about robots and that stuff? Has he been to the future?!?
Ever hear of a 4th wall? OOTS doesnt have one.

the 4th wall is essentially the barrier between Real LifeTM and whatever fictional universe it is used for. Whenever a character knows, says, or does something that isnt from their universe, they are breaking that 4th wall.

Nekkira
I love Elan's little kid before Christmas ways!
Great strip as usual.

Weird question but I have to ask: Did the Giant ever draw a cartoon for Sesame Street? They have a cat on there that looks alot like that one.

Gerrtt
I like his belly for some reason...it's amusing to me that this old man has an ale-gut. Maybe it's just him slouching though...we'll have to wait and see.

bob_kadmos
She did?? Why is Roy still wearing his evil-evil-eeevil crown-thingy of Xykons?

She left it on him so that the other paladins could see that he is EVIL.

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:43 PM
I, too, am in the camp that desperately wants the cat to be the true Lord Shojo.

I need a time machine and coordinates for Friday. Who's with me?!

ME!

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 03:44 PM
She left it on him so that the other paladins could see that he is EVIL.

It's more plausible that she left it on him for the same reason that she let V keep his circlet, and Durkon keep his prayer necklace: because it wasn't a weapon.

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:49 PM
It's more plausible that she left it on him for the same reason that she let V keep his circlet, and Durkon keep his prayer necklace: because it wasn't a weapon.
If thats true how come he doesnt have his bag of holding?

Douglas
2006-01-11, 03:52 PM
Compare the old man to the drawing of Soon back in strip 196 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196). I very much doubt that mustache is a coincidence, and the outfits look very similar.

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 03:53 PM
Roy never had a bag of holding, that's why.

Lady_Orc
2006-01-11, 03:55 PM
Compare the old man to the drawing of Soon back in strip 196 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196). I very much doubt that mustache is a coincidence, and the outfits look very similar.

Mmm...and given that Xykon says that picture is 65 years old, and Soon looks to be at least 40, if Shojo is Soon then he is *very* venerable indeed. Let's hope he's not gone senile. ;)

SITB
2006-01-11, 03:56 PM

I am pretty sure that Roy never had a bag of holding(Haley took that magic item) and all of the other bags of holding were destroyed by the fire back at the inn.

theKOT
2006-01-11, 03:56 PM
Ever hear of a 4th wall? OOTS doesnt have one.

the 4th wall is essentially the barrier between Real LifeTM and whatever fictional universe it is used for. Whenever a character knows, says, or does something that isnt from their universe, they are breaking that 4th wall.
I was trying to be sarcastic. Also, as a non-gamer(never played D&D or anything similar) I wasn't sure that there weren't robots in th OOTS world.

themob212
2006-01-11, 03:57 PM
Roy never had a bag of holding, that's why.

Im a moron what I ment was his Bag of of Tricks. Silly me

Sebastian
2006-01-11, 03:59 PM
I wanted a vampire horse personly or even better a vamparic tree! Lets see durkon react that that one

How do you kill a vampiric tree? Do you stake a heart through one of his branches?

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:01 PM
How do you kill a vampiric tree? Do you stake a heart through one of his branches?

Nope you but a peice of cooked meat into it as such it is a wood in steak! (wooden steak)

Stick_Rider
2006-01-11, 04:01 PM
So...did Haley spend this entire comic staring at Elan's butt?

Made you look. ;D

Pesi
2006-01-11, 04:02 PM
I was left with two impressions.

1: Lord Shojo is exactly as he should be. Of course before the last frames I didn't know what he'd look like, but there was of course no other way for someone is his position to look.

2. Elan isn't as dumb as he sounds, he's just misunderstood.

SITB
2006-01-11, 04:03 PM
A dificult puzzle indeed, being a tree nullifies many of the vampric weakness, even more so if that tree can survive harsh climates. Fortunetly unless it is resistent to fire you can still kill him( however with much, much, greater difficulty).

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:04 PM
Intrestingly the tree now has no way to eat as it carnt photosythisise can it? without turning into dust i guess.

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 04:05 PM
Im a moron what I ment was his Bag of of Tricks. Silly me
Well, the only time the Bag of Tricks has ever been shown in the comic are when it's in use, or has been in use recently. i.e. the bandit camp storyline. The rest of the time Roy keeps it in the limbo where he keeps the rest of his belongings. Since those belongings are never in evidence anyway, we don't know if they've been confiscated or not. Nor is it really relevant.

Note: Haley keeps her Bags of Holding in her personal inventory limbo. The bags destroyed in the fire were ordinary sacks full of dragon treasure.

theKOT
2006-01-11, 04:05 PM
Ooo, I've got to start using that excuse. I'm not stupid, I'm just misunderstood! ;)

Karellen
2006-01-11, 04:06 PM
So...did Haley spend this entire comic staring at Elan's butt?

Yea- ...wait a second. How can she do that since Elan is wearing a cloak? ???

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:06 PM
Well, the only time the Bag of Tricks has ever been shown in the comic are when it's in use, or has been in use recently. i.e. the bandit camp storyline. The rest of the time Roy keeps it in the limbo where he keeps the rest of his belongings. Since those belongings are never in evidence anyway, we don't know if they've been confiscated or not. Nor is it really relevant.

Note: Haley keeps her Bags of Holding in her personal inventory limbo. The bags destroyed in the fire were ordinary sacks full of dragon treasure.

But you could feed the cat and as such would then have support!

Halcyon
2006-01-11, 04:11 PM
Heh. This strip reminds me why I love Elan so much.

I'm yet another person who immediatly thought Shojo has to be the cat. But that would be to obvious, wouldn't it? Lord Shojo obviously isn't the cat... but I don't think he's the human either... which leaves the... THE THRONE!!! Lord Shojo is obviously a sentient piece of furniture!!! An angry robotic piece of furniture with laser eyes and crushing titanium claws, sent form the future to punich us in the past! Of course! It's so obvious!

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:12 PM
Heh. This strip reminds me why I love Elan so much.

I'm yet another person who immediatly thought Shojo has to be the cat. But that would be to obvious, wouldn't it? Lord Shojo obviously isn't the cat... but I don't think he's the human either... which leaves the... THE THRONE!!! Lord Shojo is obviously a sentient piece of furniture!!! An angry robotic piece of furniture with laser eyes and crushing titanium claws, sent form the future to punich us in the past! Of course! It's so obvious!

Thats what i said!....... without all the lazer stuff. but not the point! also if you think thats true your a fool it has to be the floor!

mimicgogo
2006-01-11, 04:14 PM

I agree completely. Comparing the picture and Shojo pretty much removes any doubt I had that they are one and the ssame. His boots and cloak look identical. And really, how many people do you know with a Fu Manchu? Granted, I've never visited feudal Asia, but I've only met one my entire life. Just saying. ...Fu Manchu!

Oznstuff
2006-01-11, 04:14 PM
I wonder if V is going to make anymore Vader references as she did in #179, the last time Roy was this angry. I still hurt myself laughing when I read that one!

xrestassuredx
2006-01-11, 04:19 PM
Man .. I just spent two hours reading 16 pages of comments on the previous comic, because the new one wasn't up yet, and refreshed the "ootscript" page on a whim, and there it is! And already five pages of discussion on this one! I'll never catch up...

I'm not sure if it should be resigned to a spoiler thread, but it's been mentioned several times here already; I immediately had to question whether Shojo was actually the old man or the cat (sorry, shojo the armchair never crossed my mind). Of course, if Shojo is the cat, who's the old man? I can picture an old man ruler having a cat for a companion, but the other way around? We've become so trained to look for subtleties and mind tricks that even the most seemingly obviously inferences are subject to speculation.

Of course, if that wasn't a point of debate, whatever would we have to argue about until Friday? ...

Hermes
2006-01-11, 04:23 PM

I'm glad to see that I'm *not* the only one who thought this. :)

All in all, this was a good comice. However, it was a bit anti-climactic for my tastes. Which is what initially put the Shojo=cat idea in my head. Maybe #266 is setting us up for the big Shojo=cat joke in #267.

Please?... maybe?

Okay... no. That might be a little too much. But yeah, I did think this one was a bit anti-climactic, as I said already. But, I guess everything can't be a climax, now can it?

sniffles
2006-01-11, 04:23 PM
(Looks around in bewilderment) Shojo is the cat? Shojo is the chair?! You people have twisted minds. ;)

I want to know what's happening with Belkar!!!
Rich is a master of suspense. ;D

Illsbane
2006-01-11, 04:24 PM
I have to wonder ... Has anyone pointed out the "Ernst Stavro Blofeld"-vibe that Shojo has going for him, what with being an older man with a white cat? ^^

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:25 PM
The floor! He is the floor i say!

Deuce
2006-01-11, 04:26 PM
I have to wonder ... Has anyone pointed out the "Ernst Stavro Blofeld"-vibe that Shojo has going for him, what with being an older man with a white cat? ^^

You mean like in the second post in this thread?

RBloom0566
2006-01-11, 04:27 PM
Vampiric Tree Spoiler - The tree can't be vampiric because it wouldn't be able to withstand direct sunlight. Sorry guys. It's gotta be the cat.

As for Shojo, I think it's a self-portrait. Imagine the Giant in about 50 years. Whellah...Lord Shojo. *S*

Hermes
2006-01-11, 04:27 PM
I can picture an old man ruler having a cat for a companion, but the other way around?

And why not? Maybe the old man is Shojo's (if Shojo were in fact the cat) butler and its nappy-time. ;) Maybe not. Maybe the old man used to be Shojo and then a vengful lich (i.e. Xykon) switched their minds. Muahahahahaha. Is there a spell in D&D for that?? I dunno.

Wow... re-reading that I'm just real silly.

Deuce
2006-01-11, 04:30 PM
Some more thoughts about "who is Shojo", but I'm dragging them over to the Sealed Spoilers thread, kinda getting a feeling we're skating on the thin ice of PredictiSpoilers here . . .

Hermes
2006-01-11, 04:31 PM
Personally, I'd view all the speculation in this thread more as good natured ribbing for the sake of humor than actually prediction. Again, I could be wrong... :-/

EDIT: At least, in the vein of "Shojo is the cat/ Shojo is that chair. (and yes, even "Shojo is the floor," although that one doesn't seem that popular yet.)

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:35 PM
Personally, I'd view all the speculation in this thread more as good natured ribbing for the sake of humor than actually prediction. Again, I could be wrong... :-/

EDIT: At least, in the vein of "Shojo is the cat/ Shojo is that chair. (and yes, even "Shojo is the floor," although that one doesn't seem that popular yet.)

We shall see about the floor being popular :D

Duraska
2006-01-11, 04:39 PM
I believe that Lord Shojo is actually just a representation of the good that lies within all of our hearts.

...or the floor. Either one.

kerberos
2006-01-11, 04:42 PM

You're all FOOLLSS, clearly Shojo is the light ray!!
:P

themob212
2006-01-11, 04:44 PM
I believe that Lord Shojo is actually just a representation of the good that lies within all of our hearts.

...or the floor. Either one.

But if he is the good that lies in our heart who is elan?

Or the cat? Hmmmmmmm

Marller
2006-01-11, 04:44 PM
I think the old man is Lord Shojo but the cat is the second in command. :)

Hermes
2006-01-11, 04:45 PM
I find this:

The floor! He is the floor i say!

more likely than this:

Of course... strangely enough, Shojo could actually be the old man, and we could be seeing curve balls where there aren't any balls at all.

Hermes
2006-01-11, 04:48 PM
You're all FOOLLSS, clearly Shojo is the light ray!!
:P

So, that's what... one vote for the ray of light? Notice, that there is also a ray of light on the OotS.

Hmmm... maybe he really is the good that lies within all our hearts. That would explain why Belkar isn't there, huh? (Ya know, aside from the whole murderous rampage/ baiting Miko into a trap thing.)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

dylosaur
2006-01-11, 04:56 PM
There are times, like this one, when Elan very much reminds me of Noober.

YES! Noober! I knew Elan seemed familiar!

You're right. He's dumber than we can possibly understand.

Brickwall
2006-01-11, 04:57 PM
Shojo looks EXACTLY like Soon. EXACTLY. Same moustache and everything. And venerable can mean old, and I think that it might be implied that Shojo is, in fact, the geezer. Besides, if the cat were Shojo, why would it need the old guy around?

chibibar
I want a throne with a fricken lazer beams... and I got a throne with disentergration ray (it can happen...)

maybe prismatic spray.

Devils_Advocate
You guys do realize that if the cat actually is Lord Shojo, Rich is going to be royally pissed at you all for guessing that, right? ;D The man looks much more "venerable" than the cat to me, though. Unless it's an ageless vampire cat... ;)

Actually, Durkon's holy symbol, Vaarsuvius's spellbook and spell components, and Roy's Bag of Tricks are all weapons of sorts; they can all be used offensively. I suspect that Miko didn't confiscate Durkon's holy symbol for the same reason that she didn't chain him up: she trusts him. Even putting him in a cell was probably mostly a formality. (Or maybe she even wanted him there to keep an eye on the others?)

Roy does have a bag of holding of his own. The Giant has said that each of the OOTSers has one, which is why we don't see them carrying all of their belongnings in every panel. (Haley can keep all of her other bags inside of one of them. It's just bags of holding and portable holes that it's bad to combine.) I would guess that Miko simply confiscated all of them, rather than search through everything in them for weaponry, lockpicks, etc.

themob212
2006-01-11, 05:00 PM
I want a throne with a fricken lazer beams... and I got a throne with disentergration ray (it can happen...)

maybe prismatic spray.

Live the dream

theKOT
2006-01-11, 05:07 PM
Further comparison of Soon and Shojo shows Shojo having a little goatee and that moustache thing( I don't know what it's called) while Soon merely has the 'stache. That tears it. Shojo IS the good within all our hearts, as represented by the beams of light. Yup. Totally.

themob212
2006-01-11, 05:08 PM
Further comparison of Soon and Shojo shows Shojo having a little goatee and that moustache thing( I don't know what it's called) while Soon merely has the 'stache. That tears it. Shojo IS the good within all our hearts, as represented by the beams of light. Yup. Totally.

So not the floor? :(

GeekDaddy
2006-01-11, 05:09 PM
I was left with two impressions.

Elan isn't as dumb as he sounds, he's just misunderstood.

Somewhere a villiage is missing its idiot :)

And probably darn glad of it, too :)

ObadiahtheSlim
2006-01-11, 05:11 PM
Mmm...and given that Xykon says that picture is 65 years old, and Soon looks to be at least 40, if Shojo is Soon then he is *very* venerable indeed. Let's hope he's not gone senile. ;)

popycock

Everyone knows that your int and wis go up with age. Why he should be like Einstien by now.

Eriol
2006-01-11, 05:11 PM
Just remember that in the strip that Miko killed Samantha and her Dad that Miko explicitly referred to her master as a mortal.

And I concur with the earlier post about site reliability. Everything seems way faster. Hope the DDoS issues will go away permanently too.

Istielthia
2006-01-11, 05:12 PM
Further comparison of Soon and Shojo shows Shojo having a little goatee and that moustache thing( I don't know what it's called) while Soon merely has the 'stache.

Fu Manchu

theKOT
2006-01-11, 05:13 PM
So not the floor? :(

Well, Maybe the beams of light react with the air to form the substance that the floor is made out of, so therefore it is the floor! Unless that's too far fetched or something. I dunno.

Fu Manchu
Ahhhh. Thanks.

Illsbane
2006-01-11, 05:14 PM
You mean like in the second post in this thread?

Do forgive me ... ^^ But when I see a seven-page thread and am inclined to make a comment, I must confess I don't usually read the whole thing first. Oh well, Ernst Stavro Blofeld-vibe or not, at least I'm assuming he isn't evil for now; too many Paladins about the place, for one thing.

bluewurm
2006-01-11, 05:15 PM
i was definetaly expecting some huge image "THE GREAT AND POWERFUL SHOJO..." and some little guy behind acurtain wizard of oz style, of course OOTS would al fail their spot checks and not know it.

Jarlaxle
2006-01-11, 05:18 PM
Well, if Shojo is really Soon then I guess we are in trouble for spoiling (well it's really not our fault that the spoilers thread is locked, is it?) but I don't think we are going to be in trouble if the cat is Shojo. It just means that while swinging our bat around, we hit a curveball ;) It's just a wild guess :D (Oh, how I wish it to be true...)

Darius Midnite
2006-01-11, 05:26 PM
Quite good strip..
Though, a littel bit disappointed in The "great" Lord Shojo..
But what can one do agiants the maddnes..
;)

mazurek
2006-01-11, 05:27 PM
All you guys are morrons. It's hard to accept, but it's true. Isn't it obvious, that Lord Shojo is the whole castle? He's a giant mimic!

Darius Midnite
2006-01-11, 05:29 PM
Umm..
If you say so..

Jothki
2006-01-11, 05:38 PM

Hmm, a ELoTH:tES reference then, perhaps?

chibibar
You know... in most non U.S. culture, the elders have a lot of power. I know this is a comic strip in their own little universe, but many countries do respect their elders for their wisdom and power.

Looks can be deceiving...

I am thinking of something from "Big Trouble in Little China" bit.

Deuce
Do forgive me ... ^^ But when I see a seven-page thread and am inclined to make a comment, I must confess I don't usually read the whole thing first. Oh well, Ernst Stavro Blofeld-vibe or not, at least I'm assuming he isn't evil for now; too many Paladins about the place, for one thing.

Of course, forgivness granted *ding*.
I was just amused that it was the first user reply in the whole thread that you missed.

At the risk of being too helpful, there is also the Topic Summary that you see below the Message field when you're writing a reply (Great feature for large threads by the way).

I still like that vibe - even if the Azure Guard are more like an "anti-SPECTRE" - Stroking a cat and devising clever plots to thwart evil . . .

Amalthea
2006-01-11, 05:39 PM
You guys do realize that if the cat actually is Lord Shojo, Rich is going to be royally pissed at you all for guessing that, right? ;D The man looks much more "venerable" than the cat to me, though. Unless it's an ageless vampire cat... ;)

Actually, Durkon's holy symbol, Vaarsuvius's spellbook and spell components, and Roy's Bag of Tricks are all weapons of sorts; they can all be used offensively. I suspect that Miko didn't confiscate Durkon's holy symbol for the same reason that she didn't chain him up: she trusts him. Even putting him in a cell was probably mostly a formality. (Or maybe she even wanted him there to keep an eye on the others?)

Roy does have a bag of holding of his own. The Giant has said that each of the OOTSers has one, which is why we don't see them carrying all of their belongnings in every panel. (Haley can keep all of her other bags inside of one of them. It's just bags of holding and portable holes that it's bad to combine.) I would guess that Miko simply confiscated all of them, rather than search through everything in them for weaponry, lockpicks, etc.
I apologize for my error, but Haley is the only one who is referred to as having bags of Holding, and I didn't know about his comment. I don't obsessively read Mr. Burlew's posts, ponder hidden meanings in them, or peer through his window hoping to catch a brief glimpse of him creating the OotS... ;)

Even so, I didn't reference V's spellbook or spell components at all, just his headband. Nor did I reference the Bag of Tricks. I just commented that Miko let them keep their individual pieces of jewelry.

Also, Haley managed to keep her lockpicks, no matter where the party's bags of holding ended up.

theKOT
2006-01-11, 05:47 PM
Also, Haley managed to keep her lockpicks, no matter where the party's bags of holding ended up.
Actually, No. The giant confirmed that those were straw from the matress.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-01-11, 05:48 PM
;D That comic was great. As is the continued speculation about who/what Lord Shojo is, despite seeing his apparent sleeping form face on.

humanpylon
2006-01-11, 05:59 PM
Going to throw my 1.6 cents (lousy canadian currency) and say regardless of whether shojo is the cat, the old geezer, the floor, the light, the third dust mote from the left or whatever, the old guy looks cute having his snooze.

And for the record let me say how much more pleasent this thread is to read compared to the veiled and not so veiled insults from the Belkar and Miko discussions from the last thread.

evileeyore
2006-01-11, 06:00 PM
I wonder if V is going to make anymore Vader references as she did in #179, the last time Roy was this angry. I still hurt myself laughing when I read that one!
Personally I think we'll have a Vader moment when:

V and Pompei met for the 'first' time. We'll get the line:
"Search your feelings Pompei, I am your Parent".

Rayek
2006-01-11, 06:01 PM
I’m definitely joining the Shojo = Soon camp. If it turns out to be true, it will tie several plot lines together quite nicely.

Maxymiuk
2006-01-11, 06:08 PM
Ahhhh, the classic case of the image being greater than the man. ;D

Also, if this is Soon, it puts to rest all the arguments why he sent Miko to get the Order.

As we find out here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196) "each built a secret stronghold atop one of the five gates." The implied connection here is that the former party took it upon themselves to safeguard these gates. So naturally Shojo would take interest if one of the gates was destroyed.

And any guesses on where Soon's gate is? ;) Better not let Elan near any strange glowy runes.

humanpylon
2006-01-11, 06:14 PM
Soon's gate....oh god! Belkar's loose!!! ;D

Rayek
2006-01-11, 06:23 PM
Ahhhh!

Now that I’m hooked on the possible Shojo/Soon link, I have visions of spoilers dancing in my head.

Silivren
2006-01-11, 06:27 PM
Uh oh... Well, that'll still leave two gates, right?

Sylvius
2006-01-11, 06:30 PM
I am pretty sure that Roy never had a bag of holding(Haley took that magic item) and all of the other bags of holding were destroyed by the fire back at the inn.

Haley had all the bags of holding at all times, and they were not destroyed. I know this has been covered a bunch of times, but it seems the misconception still exists.

The bags destroyed at the inn were non-magical bags filled with treasure from the dragon's lair. All of Xykon's treasure was in Haley's bags of holding. They still have that treasure.

Istielthia
2006-01-11, 06:30 PM
I am thinking of something from "Big Trouble in Little China" bit.

Hmmm, Lo Pan... this could get ugly. But don't we need Thunder, Lightning, and Rain too?

I could have sworn one of them was named Raiden... perhaps I played too much MK at the time.

Deuce
2006-01-11, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, Lo Pan... this could get ugly. But don't we need Thunder, Lightning, and Rain too?

I could have sworn one of them was named Raiden... perhaps I played too much MK at the time.

Unless he was refering to Egg?

Eldhrin
2006-01-11, 06:50 PM
Haley had all the bags of holding at all times, and they were not destroyed. I know this has been covered a bunch of times, but it seems the misconception still exists.

The bags destroyed at the inn were non-magical bags filled with treasure from the dragon's lair. All of Xykon's treasure was in Haley's bags of holding. They still have that treasure.

No no no no no. Haley still has that treasure.

Nice one Giant, I was laughing out loud, which is a bad idea when it's getting late and you're in a building full of people studying for their exams.

rosebud
2006-01-11, 06:56 PM
Soon's gate....oh god! Belkar's loose!!! ;D
And that's a problem, why? He's not exactly pure of heart. :D

humanpylon
2006-01-11, 07:01 PM
*slaps head* sorry you're right. forgot about that.

Unless there's another self destruct button.....

Guancyto
2006-01-11, 07:02 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=120

Note the speech bubble coming from up high in panel 13. Shojo cannot be the floor!

xyzchyx
2006-01-11, 07:05 PM
I can't help but notice that Shojo looks a lot like The Dungeonmaster in that old 1980's Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

Gerrtt
2006-01-11, 07:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=120

Note the speech bubble coming from up high in panel 13. Shojo cannot be the floor!

Better yet....note that there are boots and a cloak in the frame you are referring to. I never noticed them until you pointed this frame out. If conventional logic proves true then it's either the old man with the ale-gut or the cat...or the light....or the floor throwing its voice...dun dun dun.........

Guancyto
2006-01-11, 07:20 PM
A good point! A ventriloquism spell would allow the floor to seem as though it were speaking from the throne.

...or better yet, the floor is really Lord Shojo and a Mindbender, and the old man is its thrall!

rosebud
2006-01-11, 07:20 PM
Speaking of #120 (and comparing with #261), jail guards who serve food so far seem to have a 100% fatality rate.

Istielthia
2006-01-11, 07:24 PM

I thought of the same thing at first... but IIRC the "pure of heart" thing was only for the glyphs that let them into the room with out-moded monsters, not the big-red-button-of-reality-binding-gate-destruction.

Speaking of #120 (and comparing with #261), jail guards who serve food so far seem to have a 100% fatality rate.

That would be mortality rate.

Nightfall
2006-01-11, 07:36 PM

Oh, that would be hilarious!

Branco
2006-01-11, 07:37 PM
I have a further theory about the old man to present in this thread:

Shojo = Soon = Miko's father

think about it...

Its funny because hes yellow.

And I just read 10 pages and logged in to say that

worth it

rosebud
2006-01-11, 07:38 PM
IIRC the "pure of heart" thing was only for the glyphs that let them into the room with out-moded monsters, not the big-red-button-of-reality-binding-gate-destruction.It also opened the gate (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=106). So, Belkar couldn't escape through the gate. As far as directly destroying the gate (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=118), that was all Elan.

rosebud
2006-01-11, 07:44 PM
Shojo = Soon = Miko's fatherNo, Miko is an orphan (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=209).

I'll avoid the other comments.

Ilaun_Undil
2006-01-11, 08:41 PM
I think Windstriker as Lord Shojo would be good, but the vampiric mindbender thrall half-orc half-elf robotic mimic floor of doom,

I just thought it looked like poured cement...

so anyway bets are out that Lord Shojo dies while they are on trial.

humanpylon
2006-01-11, 08:54 PM
Put me down for 20 on him dying :D

Kalbereth
2006-01-11, 09:39 PM
Are you kidding? Not only would that be dramatic it'd be hilarious, which is what this comic is all about right? No? Oh well.

And sorry, I feel like a moron for not seeing this strip stickied when I came to find the discussion. DOH!

Fishies
2006-01-11, 10:10 PM
I hope Shojo actually is the old man and is actually Soon and doesn't die halfway through the trial. Seriously.

Shojo could be Soon because in the picture, he looks middle age(according to The Player's Handbook, that's 35.)

Ravenlord
2006-01-11, 10:29 PM
Whatda... the cat isn't blue! Treachery!

...and does this mean Elan will no longer consider Roy to be a future psychic?

Mr._Blinky
2006-01-11, 10:52 PM
Wait, I know its a little late to discuss #265, but how did Belkar get enough blood to write that message on the wall without horribly mutilating the guards body?

Tom_Violence
2006-01-11, 10:53 PM
I have to say that this comic is definitely one of my favourite so far. Its been one of the very few comics (not just OotS) that has had me laughing solid from when I got the joke through til the end. Seems like a nice way for Mister Burlew to vent his frustrations as well. :P

Intrestingly the tree now has no way to eat as it carnt photosythisise can it? without turning into dust i guess.

Why does a vampire tree need to photosynthisise? Does a human vampire still need his 5 a day fruit and veg intake? I think not.

Ooo, I've got to start using that excuse. I'm not stupid, I'm just misunderstood! ;)

Use that excuse often enough and they'll put you in a small room and stare at you through a bit of glass in the door forever!

Comparing the picture and Shojo pretty much removes any doubt I had that they are one and the ssame. His boots and cloak look identical.

I find this argument to be flawless, if only because I also haven't ever changed my clothes in my entire life!

I also have to admit that I was very satisfied with the depiction of Shojo. The vibe I got from the dude was one of an immensely powerful guy who'd clearly got all tuckered out after a long day's ... powerfulling. Be he a Lo Pan sort, or a somewhat more benevolent bloke, I care not. So long as he's mighty enough to really be able to get away with falling asleep at crucial moments, all's well!

Count-Tyr
2006-01-11, 10:53 PM
Its funny because hes yellow.

That line made me almost fall off my chair
Great comic BTW

Frito_Butterbuns
2006-01-11, 10:59 PM
What if he summoned them because he knows something funky is going on with those hobgoblins in the hills? Poor miss-snippy-britches is going to be pissed off. Maybe he never ordered them to be brough in chains...that was just Miko's 'assumption.' She is kind of a biz-natch.

Athanatos
2006-01-11, 11:23 PM
I also have to admit that I was very satisfied with the depiction of Shojo. The vibe I got from the dude was one of an immensely powerful guy who'd clearly got all tuckered out after a long day's ... powerfulling.

He DOES appear rather fat, however. No matter, that doesn't rule out the possibility of great divine or arcane-drawn power.

I'm still rooting for my prediction that Shojo will feign senility to better understand the natures of the OotS (see if they try to take advantage of an old man with faded senses and sensibility, or act as honorably as they would if he was mighty and intimidating). It would be such an awesome Yoda-esque moment.

the_belkarnator
2006-01-12, 12:01 AM

but that almost worse if its like the other he would die plus if it the gate is there then its probally open cause of all the pladin running around

WildBill
2006-01-12, 12:57 AM
Wait, I know its a little late to discuss #265, but how did Belkar get enough blood to write that message on the wall without horribly mutilating the guards body?

Lots of ways: stabbing the kidneys can drain nearly all of the bodies blood, or cutting an artery with the heart still pumping. My money would be on the kidneys, Belkar has a kidney fixation.

Silivren
2006-01-12, 01:56 AM
Actually, Soon (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196) looks like he's graying in the image in the book, but he might have been younger and just have naturally grey-black hair. I mean, Hinjo has BLUE hair, after all...

Amalthea
2006-01-12, 02:08 AM
Lots of ways: stabbing the kidneys can drain nearly all of the bodies blood, or cutting an artery with the heart still pumping. My money would be on the kidneys, Belkar has a kidney fixation.
That and it doesn't take an awful lot of blood to create lots of smears on a wall.

Dugray
2006-01-12, 02:10 AM
Great comic Rich! Can't wait til friday, unfortunately I have to.

humanpylon
2006-01-12, 02:38 AM
You'd think with a full time job I'd be too busy to feel the pain of waiting for a new strip, but nooooooooooo :P

JessmanCA
2006-01-12, 03:10 AM
I am surprised the cryptogram people have not tried to figure out what Haley's expression was.

xrestassuredx
2006-01-12, 03:41 AM
I am surprised the cryptogram people have not tried to figure out what Haley's expression was.
Someone suggested she was staring at Elan's butt the whole time .. that works for me, only it wouldn't explain why she looks sadder in panel 6 than in the first panel (maybe his cloak got in the way?)..

Winter_Wolf
2006-01-12, 04:07 AM
Well okay I have no idea who this "Soon" person is, but to me Shojo looks like the emperor in _Big Trouble in Little China_ when he was all decrepit in the wheelchair. Or is that Soon? I'm so out of touch.

Edit: Well I feel dumb, someone already brought up Lo Pan in an earlier post. But at the time reading through 11 pages was a little too daunting a task. Shame on my laziness.

silvadel
2006-01-12, 04:48 AM
Guy with a white cat -- reminds me of the head of spectre.....

thatwolfguy
2006-01-12, 04:50 AM
i think the old guy looks exactly the way he should, and as previously pointed out, exactly like soon.

i also, like other people so far, think the cat is shojo -

am i allowed to think both things, cause most people so far who thinks the old guy looks like soon have said that shojo = soon.

anyway, am i the only one who remembers the cat from the end of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, or the restaurant at the end of the universe, or whichever part of that series it was?

Kulatu
2006-01-12, 05:09 AM
I think the cat is just a coincidence, but that doesn't really matter I suppose.

Antina
2006-01-12, 05:38 AM
Ok - ok - here it comes - hold on to your seats:

ELAN ist Lord Shojos official heir! ;)

His (and Nales) father is known to be a great warrier-leader (no one knows if Nale was telling the complete truth).
Shojo came to his senses and founded the organisation of paladines to make good for his bad deeds (or continue them and use the paladines as a cover; who would scan his own boss to be evil ;) )

Korppis
2006-01-12, 06:11 AM
Ok - ok - here it comes - hold on to your seats:

ELAN ist Lord Shojos official heir! ;)

His (and Nales) father is known to be a great warrier-leader (no one knows if Nale was telling the complete truth).
Shojo came to his senses and founded the organisation of paladines to make good for his bad deeds (or continue them and use the paladines as a cover; who would scan his own boss to be evil ;) )

...execps that Shojo and his sam... eh, paladins look like asian, both Nale and Elan are caucasian...

Alfryd
2006-01-12, 06:55 AM
It is quite noticeable.

White cat in lap. This does not bode well.

Everyone knows that your int and wis go up with age. Why he should be like Einstien by now.
Not to mention cha. Dazzle us with your prettiness, oh lord!

...some little guy behind acurtain wizard of oz style.
This is known as Pnambic engineering, from PNAMBC. Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain.

And for the record let me say how much more pleasent this thread is to read compared to... the last thread.
Well, it discusses little of great consequence.

Shojo = Soon = Miko's father
I can accept Shojo/Soon, or Soon/Pater Miko, but she was orphaned, so not both. She might *think* of him as a father.

Jarlaxle
2006-01-12, 07:51 AM
Big Toruble in Little China!!! That's where I've seen Shojo before, thanks guys, I was going mad about it. And the wibe about Shojo is like Fizban from Dragonlance Chronicles. The old-confused-useless-careless-man look covering up the gigantic power within..

ekxw
2006-01-12, 08:13 AM
lord shojo its one of the old heroes like the mage and the halfling the elf and so if not look this

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196

i think he would tell them about the gates, and to stop our dear Xirkon

Reaver225
2006-01-12, 09:33 AM
Nope you but a peice of cooked meat into it as such it is a wood in steak! (wooden steak)

buh... guh...

Hey, sword-chucks! What a brilliant idea! Apart from the fact you'd cut your own hands off, pure genius!

(anyone who doesn't get this should read 8 bit theatre)

(rereading the strip) Wow, that angry robot with titanium claws and lazer eyes looks just like an old man... or floor or cat.

Darius Midnite
2006-01-12, 09:34 AM
lord shojo its one of the old heroes like the mage and the halfling the elf and so if not look this

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196

i think he would tell them about the gates, and to stop our dear Xirkon

I belive that it is correctly spelled Xykon...
And the fact that Lord Shojo IS Soon...Has been discussed many times..

Nightfall
2006-01-12, 09:41 AM
Big Trouble in Little China!!! That's where I've seen Shojo before, thanks guys, I was going mad about it. And the wibe about Shojo is like Fizban from Dragonlance Chronicles. The old-confused-useless-careless-man look covering up the gigantic power within..

Or perhaps he resembles Belgarath in the "Belgariad" books by David Eddings. A frumpy-looking, down-at-his-heels old man who is actually a disciple of a god.

I have my own opinion about what's going on with Lord Shojo, but I won't say because I don't want to ruin the mojo Rich has going. I'll just wait and see if I'm right or wrong.

NEO|Phyte
2006-01-12, 10:55 AM

Same for jail guards who refuse to serve food

rosebud
2006-01-12, 10:57 AM
My money would be on the kidneys, Belkar has a kidney fixation.Haley will be taking that money off you. Kidneys are located in the lower back. The stab appears to be located around the region of the liver and intenstines.

soozenw
2006-01-12, 12:10 PM
Hey, sword-chucks! What a brilliant idea! Apart from the fact you'd cut your own hands off, pure genius!

hehe. i love 8 bit theatre. bm is my favorite :o

Max_Sinister
2006-01-12, 12:37 PM
Man, you'd think even Haley should be unnerved by Elan. (But fortunately she can't articulate that.)

Yes, how's Lord Shojo like? Fu Man Chu? The old guy from Kill Bill 2? Or just a befuddled old man? Wait til tomorrow...

If he was Blofeld-like, the cat had to be long-haired (or bald). And it shouldn't meow loud. So I guess that's not it.

Grey Watcher
2006-01-12, 12:41 PM
Haley will be taking that money off you. Kidneys are located in the lower back. The stab appears to be located around the region of the liver and intenstines.

I wouldn't put it past Belkar to pull the kidneys through the front in the most gruesome manner possible. This IS Belkar, after all.

Soniku
2006-01-12, 01:03 PM
heheh, from what I can see the old man is definately Soon, same clothes and everything

but the cat being shojo would be fun ;D

xrestassuredx
2006-01-12, 01:27 PM
And the fact that Lord Shojo IS Soon...Has been discussed many times..

Wait .. so now it's a fact?! What are you people on?

While it's a distinct possibility, it's far from certainty. And, given Rich's nature (and annoyance) at having to change the intended course of the comic based on people's insitence upon placing spoilers and predictions in the comic discussion threads, it seems to me like Shojo = Soon is becoming more and more unlikely as this tread continues..

Terrafire
2006-01-12, 01:29 PM
Okay, it IS technically possible that Lord Shojo is just a senile old man, right...?

Or not.

ANYWAYS, the main thing I want to say is that Lord Shojo's cat is definitely robotic. (look closely at its left eye. If you zoom in, you notice it's fake. ) ::)

themob212
2006-01-12, 01:40 PM
hehe. i love 8 bit theatre. bm is my favorite :o

It has to be RM, def one of my favorite Chas of all time along with belkar, Roy and Nigel from obscured by species. Also i agree with the idear that its the floor throwing its voice and when it opens its mouth it can swallow roy in a evil blowfield manner!

Coffee_Dragon
2006-01-12, 01:47 PM
ANYWAYS, the main thing I want to say is that Lord Shojo's cat is definitely robotic. (look closely at its left eye. If you zoom in, you notice it's fake. ) ::)

Miko: "Do you like our cat?"

Roy: "Is it artificial?"

Miko: "Of course it is."

Roy: "Must be expensive."

Miko: "Very. It seems you think my alignment is not a benefit to the public."

Zink
2006-01-12, 02:04 PM
About The-Old-Man-Who-May-Or-May-Not-Be-Lord-Shojo "weight problem", people seem to remember clearly that while your mental abilities increase as you age, your physical stats decrease greatly. Given that he is venerable, he should have -6 to his strength, consitution and dexterity, meaning he should be slow, fat (unfit), weak and fragile. Assuming he used to wear heavy armor in his days of adventuring, dex was probably never one of his strong stats, and he probably didn't have more than +2 to dex, say. That should give him a -1 to dex now, and if dex is the scale for fat-muscle relations (which no one said it is, but it works better than con and str), one should be slightly fat with a dex penalty.

Edit: Oh, and the kitty's eye IS fake! I zoomed in on the picture, and it turns out his right eye is brown, while the left eye is yellow! So, either his left eye is tainted glass, or his right eye is wood. Or both. But one's fake, anyway.

Zargon
2006-01-12, 02:14 PM
Elan is using his powerful bard skills for evil! Taunting poor Roy once again. ;D

Jarlaxle
2006-01-12, 02:23 PM
:o OMG!! :o It is a robotic cat with a laser beam, coming out of its right eye, or it is a demon cat with a third eye.. (Zooming reaaally pumps up your imagination!! ;) )

Istielthia
2006-01-12, 02:28 PM
Some cats (and dogs) have mis-matched eye color. Like a husky with one brown eye and one blue eye.

I'm still hoping Shojo=cat.

themob212
2006-01-12, 02:41 PM
Edit: Oh, and the kitty's eye IS fake! I zoomed in on the picture, and it turns out his right eye is brown, while the left eye is yellow! So, either his left eye is tainted glass, or his right eye is wood. Or both. But one's fake, anyway.[/quote]

Aha thats jsut to lure you into a false sence of security the floor will soon swallow the party

humanpylon
2006-01-12, 03:26 PM
hey mob212, is the blurb under your avatar a quote from a Genesis song? Sounds familiar...

and if cat's eyes are fake, maybe the cat is a miniature golem! (with laser eyes of course)

msquared
2006-01-12, 03:46 PM
*shakes head sadly*

It is obvious that Shojo is the period part of the question mark in the cat's word balloon.

theKOT
2006-01-12, 03:50 PM
*shakes head sadly*

It is obvious that Shojo is the period part of the question mark in the cat's word balloon.

Gaah! So obvious, how could I have missed it? If you zoom in really closely, you can see that the period part has eyes and a little nose.

Darius Midnite
2006-01-12, 04:04 PM
Wait .. so now it's a fact?! What are you people on?

While it's a distinct possibility, it's far from certainty. And, given Rich's nature (and annoyance) at having to change the intended course of the comic based on people's insitence upon placing spoilers and predictions in the comic discussion threads, it seems to me like Shojo = Soon is becoming more and more unlikely as this tread continues..

Xrestassuredx (nice name by the way)

I dident directly said that is was a fact that Shojo is Soon...
what i said/ment was that the possibility of Soon being Shojo had been discussed...

And if you want to make a point to people...
Don't cut somthing out from the comic and use at your avatar... 8)

estradling
2006-01-12, 04:14 PM
Hmm I wonder if Hinjo considers himself a paladin or a samurai??? Miko is a paladin but considers herself a samurai and I can't help but wonder if her more abrasive personality comes from that mind set. If Hinjo and many other Azure warrior consider themselves samurai then it is just that Miko isn't a people person. But if the social standing of samurai is more restrictive that could explain it to.

themob212
2006-01-12, 04:15 PM
hey mob212, is the blurb under your avatar a quote from a Genesis song? Sounds familiar...

and if cat's eyes are fake, maybe the cat is a miniature golem! (with laser eyes of course)

Yes to both! but i also like the idear about him being the text. It makes you wonder if he is using a silcrum to confuse us doesnt it?

Edit For working out the song "trick of the tail" I must kill youl

Antina
2006-01-12, 04:26 PM
??? I have to admit Iīm more than stunned...
I just stumbled into a new/old part of the board with a Spoiler-Disscussion and a very being-quite-mad Giant.

First I thought it to be up to date - thinking of the momentarily ongoing discussion, but it turned out to be quite old.

I found the "old man"-avatars statement (90% of the readership will never even know about the forums-discussions) quite perfectly put.

For myself as a GM - I would be very flattered, having so many people happily discussing my ideas and would even take the best ones into account (or think about explanations for eventual plot holes that were detected - or even take the solutions suggested - if good).
Well - that might be not everybodys way of life.

Itīs the Giants right to tell his fans what spoiles his day.

But please give people a fair (and obvious) chance to know what you hate them to do!

Most of the time itīs not even possible to go through all the actual comments to the strip.
I didnīt even think about checking out all of the other OOTS-Forum-Parts at my first visit.

If the Prediction-Thing happens to be so spoiling, so please make something like e.g. an automized signature telling everybody in every posting.
(e.g for people just passing by)

Sorry for even mentoning possible ideas. :-[

And one other point:
I donīt think your ideas getting less good only because one of A LOT OF people thought of something similar...

SITB
2006-01-12, 04:32 PM
Hmm I wonder if Hinjo considers himself a paladin or a samurai Miko is a paladin but considers herself a samurai and I can't help but wonder if her more abrasive personality comes from that mind set. If Hinjo and many other Azure warrior consider themselves samurai then it is just that Miko isn't a people person. But if the social standing of samurai is more restrictive that could explain it to.

Actually, Miko said that her title was samurai. Like being a lord or something famliar.

So, by having a tree vampire thus adding even more strength(and damage reductions) we have found the first step to create the Armoire of invincibilty(Ver 1.01)?

themob212
2006-01-12, 04:37 PM
Actually, Miko said that her title was samurai. Like being a lord or something famliar.

So, by having a tree vampire thus adding even more strength(and damage reductions) we have found the first step to create the Armoire of invincibilty(Ver 1.01)?

well as both are flamable id say so

Coffee_Dragon
2006-01-12, 04:47 PM
So, by having a tree vampire

Wait, Lord Shojo is a period with the tree and vampire templates? I'm confused.

aaronbourque
2006-01-12, 04:52 PM
Y'know what? That might explain everything. Miko is part of the nobility, and thus believes she deserves more respect than she gets simply because . . . she's nobility.

That'd lower my opinion of her, but still not enough to wish her dead for rudeness . . .

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

SITB
2006-01-12, 05:12 PM
Wait, Lord Shojo is a period with the tree and vampire templates? I'm confused.

No, someone just suggested a tree vampire to see how will Durkon react, I just took it as a chance to make an 8-Bit Theater refrence.

Y'know what? That might explain everything. Miko is part of the nobility, and thus believes she deserves more respect than she gets simply because . . . she's nobility.
That'd lower my opinion of her, but still not enough to wish her dead for rudeness . . .

Taking the fact that she is nobilty to even hate her more is inexcusable. Why people think that just because nobilty arrogantly think they are a better class of people because their father was a big murdering bastard that's a reason to loathe them? It's not like they think that peasents and artistians are scum or the suchlike, surly I can not fathom why people think so badly about aristocratcy[/joking].

aaronbourque
2006-01-12, 05:30 PM
Taking the fact that she is nobilty to even hate her more is inexcusable.

That's not what I meant. (Besides, I'm one of the Mikopologists.)

Why people think that just because nobilty arrogantly think they are a better class of people

Thinking nobility justifies respect would lower my opinion of her character. I'll admit it's a possibility, but there's nothing specific for or against it.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

SITB
2006-01-12, 06:05 PM
My whole post was a joke referencing to the fact that usually nobilty seen as inhertly arrogant.

Also by rereading Miko's "history" she seems to say that she was an orphaned child of "A noble birth",just to note.

JeffreyToTheMax
2006-01-12, 06:17 PM
I just assumed that he used the same crayon (or whatever that was) he used when he wrote all the stuff around Roy when he was poisoned. He could've stashed it somewhere.

evileeyore
2006-01-12, 06:37 PM
That's not what I meant. (Besides, I'm one of the Mikopologists.)What is this 'Mikopoligist' thing you speak of? They are wrong, Miko is right, ve must all march to zee beat of the LL alignment Komrade Bourque!

Commie Fascist Mikodoctrinaire--EvilE

SITB
2006-01-12, 06:46 PM
Nitpick:
Commie Fascist

You can't be a communist and a facist since they are inhertly conflicting ideals. Facists idealize the value of thier country and hold it in the uttermost regard, while communism says that all of the world workers should unite and fight thier opressors, and as such causing a civil unrest within the same country.

evileeyore
2006-01-12, 10:26 PM
Nitpick:

You can't be a communist and a facist since they are inhertly conflicting ideals. Facists idealize the value of thier country and hold it in the uttermost regard, while communism says that all of the world workers should unite and fight thier opressors, and as such causing a civil unrest within the same country.Untrue. Fascism is the ideal of strong central leadership coupled with fervent Nationalism. Communism is the ideal of mass ownership by the people and a sharing of responsibility and duty.

I will grant Communism is often (almost always) idealically partnered with Democracry while Fascism is often teamed up with Socialism. Democracy is Fascism's opposite as Socialism is Communism's.

Marxism, which leads to the end result of Communism, preaches the overthrow of the state and civil unrest, leading to Beneviolent Socialism. it is after the time of crisis is past and the region stabilized that the Socialist Democratic (or Fascist, Marx was largely unconcerned, he merely required it be Beneviolent) will hand the power over to the Pure Democracy Communist Society. Then bunnies and rainbows would happen.

It is in these two things where your confusion lies.

Dhavaer
2006-01-12, 10:32 PM
Wouldn't the opposite of fascism be anarchy?

Athanatos
2006-01-12, 10:38 PM
Nitpick:

You can't be a communist and a facist since they are inhertly conflicting ideals. Facists idealize the value of thier country and hold it in the uttermost regard, while communism says that all of the world workers should unite and fight thier opressors, and as such causing a civil unrest within the same country.

As Eyeore said, this is untrue. Fascism is a political system (though it does carry economic ramifications), and communism is an economic theory. A government that says "You will work for the good of your neighbors, and you will be PROUD OF IT" screams "Commie Fascist" to me. Extremely unlikely to ever be seen, but not strictly impossible.

Wouldn't the opposite of fascism be anarchy?

That's much more accurate, though one could make the debate that anarchy's polar opposite is actually authoritarianism.

evileeyore
2006-01-12, 11:20 PM
As Eyeore said, this is untrue. Fascism is a political system (though it does carry economic ramifications), and communism is an economic theory. A government that says "You will work for the good of your neighbors, and you will be PROUD OF IT" screams "Commie Fascist" to me. Extremely unlikely to ever be seen, but not strictly impossible.
You have seen my vision... Is it not blessed?

I weep for you too have been touched by the hand of Zod....

That's much more accurate, though one could make the debate that anarchy's polar opposite is actually authoritarianism.Authoritarianism is nice, but lacks the pure judgemental mindset of Fascism.

Athanatos
2006-01-13, 12:17 AM
You have seen my vision... Is it not blessed?

I weep for you too have been touched by the hand of Zod....

At times like this, I wish I remembered more Superman.

Oh wait, no I don't. ;)

Authoritarianism is nice, but lacks the pure judgemental mindset of Fascism.

And since the concept of anarchy makes no mention of judgemental or non-judgemental mindsets, authoritarianism would be the more logical opposite.

... right?

Gralamin
2006-01-13, 12:59 AM
isn't Anarchy usually accompined by choas? therefore judgement becomes irrevelent making ^ right.

evileeyore
2006-01-13, 01:01 AM
zany double posts...

evileeyore
2006-01-13, 01:09 AM
At times like this, I wish I remembered more Superman.

Oh wait, no I don't. ;)Come now, we all love Zod. Don't we?

And since the concept of anarchy makes no mention of judgemental or non-judgemental mindsets, authoritarianism would be the more logical opposite.

... right?Exactly.

Fascism is built upon the ideal that governamnt is always right and opposing the government is inherently wrong. Democracy (both Pure and Republic) is founded on the ideal that government is failable and that opposing the government is right and at times necessary.

Both however often rely strongly on Charismatics to lead.

isn't Anarchy usually accompined by choas? therefore judgement becomes irrevelent making ^ right.Anarchy may be a Chaos inherent system or a Dictatorial system. Either no one is in charge (Pure Anarchy) or the strongest rules (Historical Anarchy). Either way judgement is not inherently a part of the system. same with Authoritarianism. There is no right or wrong, there is just rule. A 'purer' ideal of Fascism or Dictatorial leadership.

theKOT
2006-01-13, 01:44 AM
Come now, we all love Zod. Don't we?

Exactly.

Fascism is built upon the ideal that governamnt is always right and opposing the government is inherently wrong. Democracy (both Pure and Republic) is founded on the ideal that government is failable and that opposing the government is right and at times necessary.

Both however often rely strongly on Charismatics to lead.

Anarchy may be a Chaos inherent system or a Dictatorial system. Either no one is in charge (Pure Anarchy) or the strongest rules (Historical Anarchy). Either way judgement is not inherently a part of the system. same with Authoritarianism. There is no right or wrong, there is just rule. A 'purer' ideal of Fascism or Dictatorial leadership.

As fascinating as this debate is, it is very out of topic. So I'll try to get us back on track: 8 bit theatre.... Dag-nabbit!

idksocrates
2006-01-13, 01:57 AM
I wonder if a vampire tree drinks tree sap?

Rein
2006-01-13, 02:08 AM
Congrats giant :D plus with all these posting replies you should feel proud of OOTS I know your fans are. hehe have fun with #267 :)

Sebastian
2006-01-13, 05:33 AM

No, but he probably have one, somewhere in his backpack. ;)

Dhavaer
2006-01-13, 06:55 AM
What's the longest one of these threads has gotten?

Sizel
2006-01-13, 09:14 AM

Maybe Belkar is technically pure of heart.
Simply pure, undiluted, homacidal evil... ;)

Jarlaxle
2006-01-13, 09:29 AM
Maybe Belkar is technically pure of heart.
Simply pure, undiluted, homacidal evil... ;)

Amen!! I tip my hat to that!! ;D

Reaver225
2006-01-13, 10:33 AM
Ooh, Lord Shojo isn't the man, or the cat, or the beam of light or the period. Or the floor. He's the ROBOT VAMPIRIC STAIRS!

Silivren
2006-01-13, 10:36 AM
Lord Shojo is the spirit of Spoilerage within all our hearts.

Max_Sinister
2006-01-13, 11:07 AM
He's really the mule. Wait, you say, there's no mule around? Well it's that way, because... uh, I say so!

Amalthea
2006-01-13, 11:07 AM
Lord Shojo is the spirit of Spoilerage within all our hearts.
/ \
|
Most plausible identity so far... ;D

Hermes
2006-01-13, 11:25 AM
Agreed

Deuce
2006-01-13, 11:31 AM
I think, that when you really think about it, Lord Shojo is in each and every one of us, and if you listen real hard you can here his voice. It's saying "HEY!!!! what the HECK is going on? Why is it so dark in here!!!? LET ME OUT!!!!!!"

Kanashimi
2006-01-13, 12:04 PM
1. I think the "gut" on lord shojo is actually an artistic way of showing a stick figure slouching in a chair. Think about your own stomach perspective when slouching. If Rich had drawn Shojo's stomach smooth, he would have looked awfully uncomfortable in that chair

2. The cat's eyes are different sizes for the same reason every other character has two different sized eyes and a large boot and small boot: to give artistic perspective. The farther away item looks smaller to give 2-D figures some realistic 3-D aspects, so they aren't just flat smiley faces standing like egyptian hieroglyphs. Great job, Giant at giving stick figures depth (in ink and in character)

Wyrm
2006-01-13, 12:05 PM
I for one can't wait for Jack Burton to burst into the throne room drunk off his ass on ninja liquor :D

BurntOfferings
2006-01-13, 12:08 PM
I think, that when you really think about it, Lord Shojo is in each and every one of us, and if you listen real hard you can here his voice. It's saying "HEY!!!! what the HECK is going on? Why is it so dark in here!!!? LET ME OUT!!!!!!"
Heh, that reminds me of the old Elvis joke.

Q: What would Elvis be doing if he were alive today?

A: Scratching and clawing trying to get out of his coffin.

Hopefully the OotS won't get in a fight with Shojo, because we would totally kick their butts. I mean, just look at him. He's clearly had a lot of practice at not dying. He's really good at it.

Nerd-o-rama
2006-01-13, 12:21 PM
Ah yes, the Cohen the Barbarian Theory...

theKOT
2006-01-13, 12:30 PM
Ah yes, the Cohen the Barbarian Theory...

What's the Cohen Barbarian theory? And by the way, is your sig a quote from roper's "firefly"?

themob212
2006-01-13, 12:34 PM
What's the Cohen Barbarian theory? And by the way, is your sig a quote from roper's "firefly"?

It expresses the idear that barbairn heroes cannot die because they have spent their entire lives not dieing. Sort of how they cannot be flanked after a certain level

EDIT See Terry Pratchet
Also how about the very website itself is lord Shodo! and you can only view him throught the spoilerness in yourself!

rosebud
2006-01-13, 12:39 PM
What's the Cohen Barbarian theory?Asking the all-knowing Lord Google (www.google.com)...

Cohen the Barbarian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_the_Barbarian) is a fictional character in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. (...) Genghiz Cohen, known as Cohen the Barbarian, is the Discworld's greatest warrior hero, renowned across the Disc for his exploits (...) On his first appearance in the series he is already an old man, but still tough enough to handle anything the world can throw at him; his opponents often underestimate him because of his age, realising too late that a man who does for a living what Cohen does and nevertheless survives to such an age must be very good at it indeed.

RBloom0566
2006-01-13, 12:50 PM
Armoire of Invincibility Golem

AC: 10 (I mean, really...it's big, it's wood, & it don't move.)
HD/LVL: 10+10, 20, 30, or 40 (per wood type-fiberboard, pine, cherry, or oak.)
Mv: 1'
Att: 1 Topple
Full Att: 1 Topple + 2 drawer/door strike
Dmg: 4d8 + 1d8 per drawer/door strike
Spec Att: Crush (Reflex Save - DC: 16 negates) for double damage.
Spec Qual: Golem requires the wood of a Vampiric Tree, blood from a United Van Lines driver, and the fractured disc of a licensed moving man.

themob212
2006-01-13, 12:53 PM
Armoire of Invincibility Golem

AC: 10 (I mean, really...it's big, it's wood, & it don't move.)
HD/LVL: 10+10, 20, 30, or 40 (per wood type-fiberboard, pine, cherry, or oak.)
Mv: 1'
Att: 1 Topple
Full Att: 1 Topple + 2 drawer/door strike
Dmg: 4d8 + 1d8 per drawer/door strike
Spec Att: Crush (Reflex Save - DC: 16 negates) for double damage.
Spec Qual: Golem requires the wood of a Vampiric Tree, blood from a United Van Lines driver, and the fractured disc of a licensed moving man.

Edit: Damage reduction?

RBloom0566
2006-01-13, 12:57 PM
Damage Reduction?
Hmm...large, barely mobile, wood...
I'm thinking ... NONE?!

theKOT
2006-01-13, 12:57 PM
It expresses the idear that barbairn heroes cannot die because they have spent their entire lives not dieing. Sort of how they cannot be flanked after a certain level

EDIT See Terry Pratchet
Also how about the very website itself is lord Shodo! and you can only view him throught the spoilerness in yourself!

Ahhh, thanks. Yes, all hail the website's spoilerness!

themob212
2006-01-13, 12:58 PM
Damage Reduction?
Hmm...large, barely mobile, wood...
I'm thinking ... NONE?!

But its a armour of invincablity it should have at least some damage reduction!

RBloom0566
2006-01-13, 01:09 PM
And if we consider the Giant to be a typical human with non-player character Lvl 5 Expert (based loosely on accomplishments noticed - started web-site, started OOTS, 2nd place world creation contest, and most recently lvl 5 with published in Dragon Magazine), then he has ...

HD: d6
HP: 5d6 (33 hp)
BAB: +3
Fort: +1
Ref: +1
Will: +4

He's lucky he rolled a 15+ and avoided the Special Attack: Crush or he would've been at 18 + 4.5 + 4.5 (x2) = 54 average or, -21!

RBloom0566
2006-01-13, 01:11 PM
OK, DR: 10/+1 or fire

themob212
2006-01-13, 01:13 PM
How about the stats of a vamparic tree befor it is made into the amour of invicablitly?

RBloom0566
2006-01-13, 01:15 PM
Just covert the old 2E Hangman's Tree and apply the Vampiric Template to it.

You know the sad thing? Someone will actually do this and use it in play this weekend. *ROTFL*

rosebud
2006-01-13, 01:22 PM
[reload][go away for ten minutes]
[reload][go away for fifteen minutes]
[reload][poor, overworked Rich. go away for twenty minutes]
[reload][...withdrawal pains setting in...]

*Sigh* I'm feeling like Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=155) right now: "It's midmorning! And I know the limits of my attention span. Who knows what I'll be trying to kill if I have to wait around for hours in one place!"

Hmm. Later that evening...Darn, doesn't seem to work in this world. Oh, well, perhaps I can make an offering to the comic gods.

Our Banjo, Who art in art,
Humor be Thy Name
Thy Comic come.
That Will be done, on earth as it is in Cyberspace.
Give us this day our daily comic.
And forgive us our spoilers,
as we forgive those who spoil amonst us.
And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Silivren
2006-01-13, 01:27 PM
Ia! Ia! Banthulu Ftagn!
Ia! Ia! Banthulu Ftagn!

Deuce
2006-01-13, 01:43 PM
Ia! Ia! Banthulu Ftagn!
Ia! Ia! Banthulu Ftagn!

"In the dark depths of Ela'n'sBagofH'olding, Dead Banjulhu lies sleeping . . . "

themob212
2006-01-13, 01:43 PM
Just covert the old 2E Hangman's Tree and apply the Vampiric Template to it.

You know the sad thing? Someone will actually do this and use it in play this weekend. *ROTFL*

Sadly yes i can

kradman
2006-01-13, 02:19 PM
i hope it involves belkar.....

soozenw
2006-01-13, 02:51 PM
Our Banjo, Who art in art,
Humor be Thy Name
Thy Comic come.
That Will be done, on earth as it is in Cyberspace.
Give us this day our daily comic.
And forgive us our spoilers,
as we forgive those who spoil amonst us.
And lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

hehe. that's awesome.