PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Best Feats for Melee/Mundane characters?

Chaosticket
2021-10-21, 01:09 PM
Im trying to find suggestions for predominantly melee characters. There are so many and Im not too familiar with every feats from every book.

These are ones I already know.

#1 I know Power Attack is high value to boost damage.
#2 Leap Attack allows a boost to Power Attack on a Charge.

#3 Combat Reflexes is high value for multiplying how many times you can get Attacks of Opportunity each turn.
#4 Robilar's Gambit is risky but it does allow you to trade blows using your Attacks of Opportunity.

#5 The "Improved X Maneuver" is a feat tax to access better feats. I dont know how value the basic manuevers really are because theyre specialized actions, not a Killer combination.

#6 Shock Trooper is high value for *Heedless Charge* and ability to convert the Accuracy Penalty of Power Attack to an Armor Class penalty.

#7 Combat Brute has a few options and being that *Advancing Blows* is just a passive boost to Bull Rush is works very well with Shock Trooper which requires Improved Bull Rush as a feat tax.

Malphegor
2021-10-21, 01:52 PM
Martial Study is a good one. Take your pick of a martial manuever from Tome of Battle. You can’t refresh it without a ToB class so it’s 1/encounter but there’s some standouts

Akal Saris
2021-10-21, 02:08 PM
Improved Trip and Knockdown are very common feat combinations for melee "crowd control" builds, often along with Combat Reflexes.

For sneak attack builds, (improved/greater) two-weapon fighting and Craven are both valuable.

DrMartin
2021-10-21, 03:12 PM
here's my small curated list of cool feats for martials specific to 3rd edition (none of these made the cut for Pathfinder, which is a shame):

- Fearless
- Shock Trooper
- Elusive target
- Rattlesnake Strike
- Combat Brute
- Brutal Strike
- Axespike
- Lightning Mace
- Adaptable Flanker
- Leap Attack
- Combat Vigor

Albanymusicfund
2021-10-21, 04:37 PM
There are lot of great combos to melee that this guide covers in depth: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?127026-3-X-Person-Man-s-Guide-to-Melee-Combos

I personally enjoy devotion feats such as Travel Devotion (for high mobility/scout builds), Earth Devotion (as a means of Anti-charger defense with the difficult terrain), and Knowledge Devotion (bonus to hit depending on your knowledge).

Doctor Despair
2021-10-21, 08:18 PM
Not exactly a combat feat, but I've always been a fan of Keen Eared Scout for nonmagical scouting/detection.

mabriss lethe
2021-10-21, 08:24 PM
Mage Slayer is a pretty good standby.
If you don't need to two-hand for whatever reason, (ToB initiators for example) Shield Ward Parrying Shield is also rather nice. If you don't mind branching out into passive magical effects, Draconic Aura is also solid.

Edit to Add: Shield ward is technically better in pretty much every way, but it also has shield specialization as a prereq. I'd actually meant Parrying Shield because it's something you can plug into any build rather easily with no prereqs, but it had been a while, couldn't remember which one it was, and my google-fu failed me.

Kaleph
2021-10-22, 04:34 AM
Seconding mage slayer, and in general everything that goes with threatened area/AoO (combat reflexes, karmic strike/robilar gambit, stand still/improved trip/knockdown, inhuman reach/willing deformity).

H_H_F_F
2021-10-22, 06:16 AM
Martial Study is a good one. Take your pick of a martial manuever from Tome of Battle. You can’t refresh it without a ToB class so it’s 1/encounter but there’s some standouts

If you're taking Martial Study, it's usually worth it to take martial stance as well. Plenty of 3rd level stances are accesible and worth the feat.

ShurikVch
2021-10-22, 01:41 PM
Darkstalker is a must for any non-magical stealthy character

If you don't need to two-hand for whatever reason, (ToB initiators for example) Shield Ward is also rather nice.
Note: if the build is feat-starved, then Parrying Shield (Lords of Madness) may work better: it's not as good as Shield Ward, but also don't need prerequisite feat (except for Shield Proficiency)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-10-22, 01:47 PM
Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a), especially if you give it Mage Slayer.

The Combat Form feats in PH2 may be worth considering.

Don't forget about skill tricks!

Anthrowhale
2021-10-22, 01:57 PM
You might find the team mundane (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635794-Team-Mundane) builds interesting. Some things not mentioned: Craven+Double Team, Windup, Close-Quarters Fighting, Sculpt Self, Combat Expertise+Improved Combat Expertise+Allied Defense, Boomerang Daze, Snowtiger Berserker.

Khedrac
2021-10-22, 02:32 PM
If you are worried about being grappled Close-Quarters Fighting is a must.

mabriss lethe
2021-10-22, 08:45 PM
Darkstalker is a must for any non-magical stealthy character

Note: if the build is feat-starved, then Parrying Shield (Lords of Madness) may work better: it's not as good as Shield Ward, but also don't need prerequisite feat (except for Shield Proficiency)

You're right. Good catch. I had actually meant to suggest Parrying Shield, not Shield Ward, but I went looking in the wrong place and got it mixed up.

Master of Poisons is also an easy access feat with no prereqs that can net relatively high returns in low to mid level play.

Saintheart
2021-10-22, 09:20 PM
More practical for NPCs, but the combo of Combat Expertise + Allied Defense on a group of low-level monsters with fighter levels can make for nasty surprises for the melee players in the party. Really gives a bit of mathematical crunch to the idea of a phalanx or Roman tortoise, especially if you arm the front line with normal melee and the second line with Reach weapons. The centre, forward monster in a group of 6 composed in two ranks of 3 each is pulling AC bonuses from all five of the other monsters, as well as his own, and not one monster in the formation gets less than 3 lots of AC bonus.

danielxcutter
2021-10-22, 09:48 PM
Aren’t the Mage Slayer line good for non-casters if you can get the prereqs?

bean illus
2021-10-23, 10:32 AM
By Melee/Mundane, do you mean 'melee and/or mundane? I don't see any ranged options yet.

Go first is a powerful mundane ability:

* Improved Initiative: +4
* Yondalla's Sense RotW (halfling): add your Wisdom bonus on initiative checks.
* Quick Reconnoiter: +2 initiative, free listen and spot every round.
* Intuitive Attack / Zen Archery: Wis mod to attack

Any one is good. It's hard to afford 2 of them, but imp init is a fighter feat.

A strongheart halfling ninja 2/ fighter 1 (hit and run ACF) can have all 4 feats at 3rd level, and class synergy with ghost step. I don't know what else you might do, but you go first
* (+8 Initiative, + Dex, + Wis),
* rarely get surprised (free spot-n-listen),
* add Wis to attacks and AC,
* add Dex mod to ranged damage,
* are invisible,
* and have a skills load.

Actually that has some potential.

Troacctid
2021-10-23, 02:28 PM
Here are some of my personal favorites.

Action Surge
Adamantine Body
Agile Shield Fighter
Ancestral Relic
Animal Devotion
Arcane Schooling
Awesome Smite
Brutal Strike
Brutal Throw
Cleave
Close-Quarters Fighting
Combat Panache
Combat Vigor
Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Craven
Death Devotion
Deflective Armor
Deformity (Madness)
Deformity (Tall)
Dire Flail Smash
Dragon Steed
Dragon Wings
Dragonmark Mastery
Dreadful Wrath
Eilservs School
Elusive Dance
Elusive Target
Exotic Weapon Proficiency
Eye of Medani
Faith Unswerving
Fell Conspiracy
Fey Legacy
Fey Presence
Fiendish Legacy
Fiendish Presence
Fire Devotion
Hyena Tribe Hunter
Imperious Command
Improved Dragon Wings
Improved Skirmish
Insane Defiance
Item Familiar
Jotunbrud
Jungle Veteran
Knock-Down
Knowledge Devotion
Landlord
Law Devotion
Leadership
Least/Lesser/Greater Dragonmark (Mark of Passage)
Lion Tribe Warrior
Mark of Xoriat
Martial Study
Martial Stance
Melee Weapon Mastery
Mercantile Background
Nemesis
Orien Battle Stride
Parrying Shield
Perfect Clarity of Mind and Body
Pierce Magical Protection
Protection Devotion
Savvy Rogue
Scorching Sirocco
Scorpion's Grasp
Shadow Blade
Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice)
Shield Charge
Shield Slam
Shield Ward
Shocking Fist
Silver Tongue
Snap Kick
Spirited Charge
Staggering Strike
Stone Power
Stormguard Warrior
Sun Devotion
Sun School
Swift Hunter
Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment: Patience)
Three Mountains
Trickery Devotion
True Believer
Two-Weapon Pounce

fallensavior
2021-10-23, 04:43 PM
Knockback!

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-10-23, 06:16 PM
Daring Outlaw and Swift Hunter each powerful and simple enough to define builds (Swashbuckler/Rogue and Scout/Ranger respectively), but not very helpful outside of those builds. Swift Ambusher is harder to set up, but can give you some ridiculous damage if you can proc it reliably.

Staggering Strike shuts down enemy action economy, making it extremely valuable.

Mercurial Strike is great when combined with something to force opportunity attacks, like Karmic Strike and/or Robilar's Gambit. Best paired with a source of bonus damage like Sneak Attack and/or Iaijutsu Focus, since the enemy is flatfooted vs. these opportunity attacks. Make sure you're carrying a lot of weapons; you'll be dropping most of them after a single use so you're still unarmed and can keep using Mercurial Strike.

Similarly, Stormguard Warrior is great if enemies are procing lots of AoOs and you can make lots of attacks, giving you a bonus to attack and damage in the next round for every AoO you choose not to take.

I hate the Craven feat, but it's undeniably powerful. That extra 1 damage per level makes Sneak Attack scale way better, it isn't halved by the Penetrating Strike ACF (which lets you do half your SA damage dice to normally immune enemies), and it directly increases the DC of Staggering Strike.

Greater Manyshot lets you do precision damage with Manyshot. That makes this feat a necessity for anyone interested in both Manyshot and Sneak Attack/Skirmish.

Knockback, Knock Down, and Scorpion's Grasp let you (respectively) bull-rush, trip, and grapple as part of an attack instead of replacing your attack. Free damage is good damage.

(Greater) Multigrab. These feats are most useful for monsters, but they let you grapple multiple enemies at once without eating a -20 penalty to each grapple.

Chaosticket
2021-10-24, 01:34 PM
#1 With limited Feats to buy things with arent these all mutually exclusive to just one character build per chain?

#2 Are these feats worth not picking a Crusader, Swordsage, or Warblade to get Martial Maneuvers and Stances?

#3 Any suggestions for Epic Feats?

ShurikVch
2021-10-24, 02:12 PM
It's not for every game, but - Master Pickpocket (City of Stormreach)

Troacctid
2021-10-24, 03:19 PM
#1 With limited Feats to buy things with arent these all mutually exclusive to just one character build per chain?
Well that's why fighters and monks get bonus feats, isn't it?

#2 Are these feats worth not picking a Crusader, Swordsage, or Warblade to get Martial Maneuvers and Stances?
Initiators need feats too, you know.

Epic Destiny. Epic Leadership. Open Heart Chakra. Open Soul Chakra. Battle Dance. Improved Combat Reflexes. Exceptional Deflection. Infinite Deflection. Reflect Arrows. Dire Charge. Distant Shot. Uh...Blinding Speed...Holy Strike...maybe Self-Concealment?

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-10-24, 03:19 PM

To an extent. Prerequisites go into determining which feats are good/bad, and so most of these either aren't part of a chain or, in a few cases, are part of a chain full of other good feats (e.g. Knock Down, Shock Trooper).

But you can typically fit a lot of these feats into a build. For instance, my Raven's Shadow (http://bit.ly/2kfZ3rs) build uses Swift Ambusher, Darkstalker, Two-Weapon Fighting, Mercurial Strike, Robilar's Gambit, and more.

Depends on what you're going for. A martial initiator will give you a lot of in-house flexibility and the ability to both move and attack, which are really good. A fighter or barbarian built extremely well can typically out-damage them after a certain level, but can be shut down more easily.

If you're new to the system, I'd definitely recommend going for the initiators, but do note that they're unusually good with multiclassing due to the way IL (which determines what maneuvers you can take) is calculated, so you can always throw in a few levels of initiator to a non-initiator build or vice versa.

A surprising number of the martial [Epic] feats are weak; unless you already qualify for the Deflection line (which has some cool ones), I'd recommend just using your epic feat slots to take awesome non-epic feats you haven't fit into your build yet.

Anthrowhale
2021-10-24, 05:14 PM
Dipping Swordsage for evasion, tactical teleport, Diamond Mind counters, and possibly Assassin's stance is handy. Dipping Crusader for healing methods is also handy. Dipping Warblade for White Raven Tactics and Iron Heart Surge is handy.

Maat Mons
2021-10-24, 06:25 PM
Steadfast Determination is nice. You add Con to Will saves instead of Wis, which is a trade up for most Mundanes. And natural 1's are no longer automatic failures on Fortitude saves, which means with a high enough modifier, you might not even need to roll against some effects.

I'll also second Planar Touchstone. But the domain I'll suggest picking is Pride. It lets you reroll 1's on saves. If you can get your Will save high enough that you only fail on a natural 1, this takes your chance of failure down from 1/20 to 1/400. It's a good combo with Paladin. I especially like combining it with Paladin of Freedom (trades Fear Immunity for immunity to Compulsions), Fearless (gets immunity to fear back at the cost of a feat), Aura of Sanctity (trades Turn Undead for immunity to Death effects), and Steadfast Determination (mentioned above).

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-10-24, 08:47 PM
If you're in a horror campaign that uses Taint (which are very rare, BTW), Pure Soul makes you straight up immune to it.

Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) is at-will teleportation. Only 10ft, but still really handy as a utility ability. Putting essentia into it increases the range by 10ft each, so if you also grab Bonus Essentia that's 20ft until level 6 (IIRC), then 30ft after that. Potentially worth picking up on an Incarnate, too.

H_H_F_F
2021-10-25, 08:33 AM
Steadfast Determination is nice. You add Con to Will saves instead of Wis, which is a trade up for most Mundanes. And natural 1's are no longer automatic failures on Fortitude saves, which means with a high enough modifier, you might not even need to roll against some effects.

I'll also second Planar Touchstone. But the domain I'll suggest picking is Pride. It lets you reroll 1's on saves. If you can get your Will save high enough that you only fail on a natural 1, this takes your chance of failure down from 1/20 to 1/400. It's a good combo with Paladin. I especially like combining it with Paladin of Freedom (trades Fear Immunity for immunity to Compulsions), Fearless (gets immunity to fear back at the cost of a feat), Aura of Sanctity (trades Turn Undead for immunity to Death effects), and Steadfast Determination (mentioned above).

Since you're rerolling 1s anyway, I'd say most paladins should take force of personality rather than steadfast determination. No endurance prereq, and Cha instead of Con (instead of Wis, of course)

danielxcutter
2021-10-25, 09:17 AM
Doesn’t that one only work for mind-affecting abilities? Also, I’m not sure if paladins need any save boosters.

Wildstag
2021-10-25, 08:21 PM
If you already have Favored Enemy, Favored Power Attack is really fun. It scales with and in the same way as Leap Attack, so you can do some bigger damage to Favored Enemies.

I see Shape Soulmeld here already, and though I agree that Lucky Dice is a good one to take, I'm a bigger proponent of Impulse Boots to get Uncanny Dodge. When you take the "Open Least Chakra" feat with it, you gain Evasion as well. It's only the first part of each, but it can really help you out.

For the Fighters, I'm also a big fan of Melee Weapon Mastery. Gaining +2 to attack rolls and damage rolls can really help certain builds (such as the whip warrior in my sig).

Chaosticket
2021-10-26, 05:37 PM
Ive been looking up a guide about AOO-Feats.

#1 Karmic Strike seems the worst. It requires you be hit to allow additional attacks. Two feat taxes make it even worse.

#2 Robilar's Gambit is better in that it requires being attacked, not hit. It doesnt have much of a feat tax(just Combat Reflexes), but it has a high BAB to acquire.

#3 Hold the Line is the least risky, requiring a enemy Charge in youre threatened area to get AOOs. If say you Brace with a Longspear you can even do bonus damage. I dont think it can be used to get multiple AOOs on the same enemy.

Epic Improved Combat Reflexes has a high Dexterity requirement and either makes Combat Reflexes worthless or its worthless unless you can actually get the opportunity to make 7+ AOOs every turn. I dont know if its worth it unless you can combine Robilar's Gambit, Hold the Line, and everything else.
=============================
You all are more familiar with the rules than I am. Is it possible to use Combat Maneuvers like Disarm as part of Attacks of Opportunity or as part of Full Attack actions?

If you can make Improved Trips with a Guisarme then in theory you could immobilize enemies within reach.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-10-26, 07:04 PM

#1 Karmic Strike seems the worst. It requires you be hit to allow additional attacks. Two feat taxes make it even worse.

#2 Robilar's Gambit is better in that it requires being attacked, not hit. It doesnt have much of a feat tax(just Combat Reflexes), but it has a high BAB to acquire.

#3 Hold the Line is the least risky, requiring a enemy Charge in youre threatened area to get AOOs. If say you Brace with a Longspear you can even do bonus damage. I dont think it can be used to get multiple AOOs on the same enemy.

Epic Improved Combat Reflexes has a high Dexterity requirement and either makes Combat Reflexes worthless or its worthless unless you can actually get the opportunity to make 7+ AOOs every turn. I dont know if its worth it unless you can combine Robilar's Gambit, Hold the Line, and everything else.
=============================
You all are more familiar with the rules than I am. Is it possible to use Combat Maneuvers like Disarm as part of Attacks of Opportunity or as part of Full Attack actions?

If you can make Improved Trips with a Guisarme then in theory you could immobilize enemies within reach.

Definitely as part of a full attack, and IIRC you can as part of an opportunity attack as well.

There's also Defensive Throw, which I believe takes the cake for worst of the bunch by merit of too many prerequisites and an awful limitation on use.

Darg
2021-10-26, 09:47 PM
I'm partial to Blood-spiked Charger and Driving Attack. There's nothing like punting creatures for that hole in one. As a bonus, it enables you to bull rush creatures 2 or more sizes than you.

pabelfly
2021-10-26, 11:47 PM
If you already have Favored Enemy, Favored Power Attack is really fun. It scales with and in the same way as Leap Attack, so you can do some bigger damage to Favored Enemies.

Not sure I agree with this - the problem with Ranger builds are all the enemies you can't hit as well as your Favored Enemy options.

Gruftzwerg
2021-10-26, 11:57 PM
I'm partial to Blood-spiked Charger and Driving Attack. There's nothing like punting creatures for that hole in one. As a bonus, it enables you to bull rush creatures 2 or more sizes than you.

yeah, I really like those two too..^^

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?517187
I toyed around with Driving Attack some while ago and ended up with 4 builds (with some minor Berserk flavor). And one of the builds even uses Blood-spiked Charger. I really like the 3 digit bonuses (100+) to Bull Rush to literary send your enemies flying (up to 100+ feet)!^^
Driving Attack may come late online (compared to Knockback, which needs Large size), but the insane values can make it worth for a high lvl campaign.

bean illus
2021-10-27, 07:36 PM
Not sure I agree with this - the problem with Ranger builds are all the enemies you can't hit as well as your Favored Enemy options.

It really is true. The closest I've come is building stalker of kharash into FE (evil).
... Favored Power Attack?

A strong-arm ranger 6 with solitary hunter, champion of the wild, and arcanist acfs can get stalker of kharash 2, and scout 4 for swift hunter 10, and 5 favored enemies. Add all bonuses to evil.
You need an allowing DM. Race is open, alignment NG.

R CotW, Strong-arm, FE Arcane Hunter, Track, WE, Foe Hunter- FE 2 (dragon, +4 arcane)
S Skirmish (+1d6), trapfinding
R Power Attack, FotC

S Battle fortitude +1, uncanny dodge
S Fast +10 ft., (+1d6, +1 AC), trackless step
S Alertness, Favored Power Attack

SoK Detect Evil
SoK FE Evil
R Endurance, Swift Hunter, FE 3 (undead, evil +3), Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)

R Solitary Hunter, Imp FE
R (+3d6, +2 AC)
R 6 Shadow Blade Bane, FE 4 (construct, evil +5), Nemisis evil

1. FE Arcanist +2, FE 2 Dragon +2 (arcanists +4)
8. FE evil +1
9. FE 3 Undead +2 (evil +3)
10. Imp FE +3 ALL
12. Bane +2d6, Nemesis +1d6, FE 4 (Elemental, evil +5)

FE to attack and damage: arcanists +7; construct, dragon, elemental or undead +5, and that stacks with any EVIL +8.

You also get +3d6 skirmish, 3d6 against any evil, can pinpoint evil at will, and have favored power attack. Against many FE you can dump most of your BAB into power attack x3. Your weakness is chaotic and neutral divine casters.

It's nothing special. Trades away spells and companion, but it melees fairly well, and skill monkeys. Using Stalker 2 insures the build doesn't schtick fully until level 9-10

Maybe wield a keen falchion, and multiply that FE bonus, power attack, favored power attack, and 1 1/2 Str mod by 2.

SteveLightblade
2021-10-28, 12:51 AM
Unless I miss it, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cornugon Smash

When you damage an opponent with a Power Attack, you may make an immediate Intimidate check as a free action to attempt to demoralize your opponent.

This synergizes incredibly well with Intimidating Prowess

Additionally Killing Flourish

When you reduce your target to below 0 hit points with a melee attack, as a swift action you can attempt an Intimidate check to demoralize all foes within 30 feet who can see your attack.

This is also a prerequisite for Gruesome Slaughter, which instead makes the targets sickened

Being a scary martial has been surprisingly effective in the games I have played.

Gruftzwerg
2021-10-28, 02:27 AM

If you like AOO builds, have a look at Shifting Defense (stance) from Tome of Battle. It lets you do a 5ft step each time someone attacks you = rolls an attack roll but before confirming the hit!
This enables you to dodge melee attacks as long as you have AOO left.

As have been pointed out by others this is possible.
As lil hint, you have to look for the keywords for the activation costs of any ability you are reading.
1. "(ranged/melee) attack (roll)"
2. "standard action/attack"
3. "full-round-action / full attack"
If it only requires an attack (1), it can be used with any attack from a standard or full attack.

Wildstag
2021-10-29, 11:17 PM
Unless I miss it, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cornugon Smash

This synergizes incredibly well with Intimidating Prowess

Additionally Killing Flourish

This is also a prerequisite for Gruesome Slaughter, which instead makes the targets sickened

Being a scary martial has been surprisingly effective in the games I have played.

I may be mistaken, but I think the assumption for this thread has been 3.5 and not including Pathfinder. Those are good feats for PF though.

OP mentioned 3.5 specific feats like Robilar's Gambit.

darkdragoon
2021-10-30, 01:16 PM
Deadly Defense complements several of the feats already mentioned.

Chaosticket
2021-10-31, 12:40 PM
Pounce isn't a feat but it is important.

Are there any Feats that allow you to move and perform Full Attack actions?

Anthrowhale
2021-10-31, 01:05 PM

Snow Tiger Berserker and Lion Tribe Warrior.

loky1109
2021-10-31, 02:46 PM
Pounce isn't a feat but it is important.

Catfolk Pounce.

PoeticallyPsyco
2021-10-31, 03:19 PM
Razorclaw Elite doesn't let you full-attack, but does let you make 2 attacks and (unlike Two-Weapon Pounce, another feat that gets partial credit for pouncing) doesn't suffer TWF penalties and can be taken at level 1. The downside is you can by default only use it in a couple of fights per day, because you'll only have claws while shifting... though I guess a Totemist Shifter would be able to use it all day long.

Gnaeus
2021-10-31, 03:23 PM

Travel devotion

Darg
2021-10-31, 09:33 PM

Quicken spell.

Also Precocious Apprentice is able to pick up lesser celerity.

SteveLightblade
2021-10-31, 10:11 PM
I may be mistaken, but I think the assumption for this thread has been 3.5 and not including Pathfinder. Those are good feats for PF though.

OP mentioned 3.5 specific feats like Robilar's Gambit.

Sorry about that. I didn't see the system specification. That's my fault.

Wildstag
2021-11-01, 12:58 PM
Sorry about that. I didn't see the system specification. That's my fault.

Oh, there's nothing to be sorry for, I don't even see the OP specifying an edition. I think it's more a general assumption given context.

In a 3.P game, those feats are definitely worth considering.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-12-15, 03:14 PM
Ancestral Relic and other feats that grant the ability to make your own magic items using WBL are among my favorites, because that lets you get items you want and need without having to rely on DM handouts or hoping you can find unusual combination items without having to commission them and wait for them to be crafted.

I like being self-sufficient and not having to rely on NPCs if I don't have to. Plus, you can make items that grant other feats that way.