PDA

View Full Version : Looking for monster

Crucius
2021-10-22, 05:55 AM
Hello!

I'm looking for a monster with spellcasting that has features that synergize with that spellcasting. Most monsters I find cast a spell and that's it, or occasionally it feeds back into stealth or melee combat. The type of monster matters not, I'm just looking for inspiration. It will become a humanoid gnome anyways.

If it helps, it is a bossfight for a level 14 party, and the mage will be accompanied by a brawling golem, while the mage will cast spells from an elevated position.

Basically the question is: do you know cool features that synergize with the spellcasting feature? (The golem already synergizes with spellcasting, so currently only looking for abilities for the mage)

Skrum
2021-10-22, 08:27 AM
I admit I'm not entirely certain what you're getting at (a gish-type monster?). But I did think of Beholders with their various rays + antimagic cone, open and closing their main eye to best advantage themselves. They also happen to be CR 13, 14 if they're in a lair.

Segev
2021-10-22, 08:34 AM
Yeah, for a level 14 party, a beholder-as-caster is pretty solid. Its innate flight and its multi-casting with its rays are self-complements. Its antimagic cone complements the golem very nicely, too. (The golem won't be impacted by antimagic much if at all, and will be nigh-impossible to hurt with magic weapons and spells shut down.)

They have a lot fewer spells in 5e than in 3e, but I believe Marilith demons still have teleportation and a few tricks. They're solid melee combatants, but their innate teleportation abilities make raining spells down easier.

Hags are obvious choices for spellcasters. They have illusion or shapeshifting for disguising their natures, and tend to be designed around deception and cursing with their combat power being strongest as a coven. Night Hags as casters are nasty hit-and-run types, with their ability to step back and forth to the Ethereal Plane at will.

Amnestic
2021-10-22, 08:40 AM
Illusionist, Enchanter, Diviner in Volo's Guide to Monsters have features that recharge when they cast a spell of 1st level or higher of the relevant school. Not super synergy, but it's something.

Crucius
2021-10-22, 09:56 AM
I admit I'm not entirely certain what you're getting at (a gish-type monster?). But I did think of Beholders with their various rays + antimagic cone, open and closing their main eye to best advantage themselves. They also happen to be CR 13, 14 if they're in a lair.

Quite the opposite of a gish actually. Brawling is covered by the Golem.

A feature that triggers when a spell is cast probably. For example that when a buff spell is cast on the golem, the mage is also affected by that spell (that's actually not a bad idea, might go with this pseudo-twinned-spell effect).

Since it is one of the campaigns BBEGs it want it to be more than just a spellcaster you know?

Th party previously fought a beholder. They did not like it one bit. (they are all spellcasters to some extent, so you can imagine that it wasn't very fun for them)

kaervaak
2021-10-22, 11:03 AM
Diviner or Abjurer have features that recharge when they use spells from their schools. They're also high level spell casters, so should provide a decent threat to the party.

Githayanki Gish can make a weapon attack after it casts a spell

The eldarin casters are CR10 and have interesting auras that can trigger off their spells

Crucius
2021-10-22, 11:06 AM
Illusionist, Enchanter, Diviner in Volo's Guide to Monsters have features that recharge when they cast a spell of 1st level or higher of the relevant school. Not super synergy, but it's something.

Diviner or Abjurer have features that recharge when they use spells from their schools. They're also high level spell casters, so should provide a decent threat to the party.

Githayanki Gish can make a weapon attack after it casts a spell

The eldarin casters are CR10 and have interesting auras that can trigger off their spells

I'll check them out! Thanks!