PDA

View Full Version : Genie Warlock and Wish: Infinite Simulacrums Possible?

Master O'Laughs
2021-10-22, 07:34 AM
Not saying I would, but from my understanding, A L17 Genie warlock with Wish could cast Simulacrum targeting themselves and the next day their simulacrum would regain their Mystic Arcanum since it is not a spell slot.

Could S1 then cast Simulacrum on the Warlock to gain another Simulacrum (S2), then repeat every day?

I am sure if possible, it would not be advised because the DM is likely to then make a ruling for the table that Simulacrums don't regain mystic arcana, but RAW, is it possible?

RSP
2021-10-22, 07:51 AM
RAW it probably works, but still comes down to how the DM interprets Simulacrum.

RAW, it works that you don’t need to jump through these hopes as Simulacrum’s limiting factor is that “If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed.”

However, if you’re using Wish to duplicate the effects of Simulacrum, then you are not casting Simulacrum again, and this limiting factor doesn’t have any effect.

I doubt any DM who rules against Simulacrum chains in the first place allows this loophole, but I believe RAW it works.

Master O'Laughs
2021-10-22, 09:29 AM
RAW it probably works, but still comes down to how the DM interprets Simulacrum.

RAW, it works that you don’t need to jump through these hopes as Simulacrum’s limiting factor is that “If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed.”

However, if you’re using Wish to duplicate the effects of Simulacrum, then you are not casting Simulacrum again, and this limiting factor doesn’t have any effect.

I doubt any DM who rules against Simulacrum chains in the first place allows this loophole, but I believe RAW it works.

Cool, Either way, having access to two uses of wish per day is rather handy.

What is generally considered the most common ruling on if you simulacrum casts wish to produce an effect that could lose you access to wish? Would it effect the original host since it is a copy, or only the simulacrum?

RSP
2021-10-22, 11:15 AM
Cool, Either way, having access to two uses of wish per day is rather handy.

What is generally considered the most common ruling on if you simulacrum casts wish to produce an effect that could lose you access to wish? Would it effect the original host since it is a copy, or only the simulacrum?

Not sure you’ll get a factual answer for that here: I’ve seen some DMs allow it, others don’t (the casting by the Simulacrum still affects the original caster).

Really, I doubt most games get into Wish-level play, and those that do, probably have DMs that are prepared for such things, one way or another (either letting super powerful combos fly because it’s tier 4 play, or houseruling stuff in advance to prevent braking the game).

Master O'Laughs
2021-10-22, 11:42 AM
True. Well here's hoping I get to play in an epic campaign soon with a genie warlock!

PhoenixPhyre
2021-10-22, 12:18 PM
The only sane ruling for simulacrum is the AL one--you are he and so is he. The sim cannot create another sim of you without being destroyed itself; any wish backlash affects the original caster as well.

I go one step further:
* Simulacra (and any other summoned or conjured or created creature by any means) will not and can not summon, conjure, or create another creature by any means. Period. Full stop.
* Simulacra cannot regain any resource or change their loadout in any way. The only exception is HP healing via the listed alchemical process.
* Replicating a spell via wish counts as casting the spell except as listed.