PDA

View Full Version : animated object + intelligent magic item (dominant) = warforged-ish NPC 3.5e

Calimmacil
2021-10-23, 09:46 AM
I have an NPC concept that needs feedback. I want it to work with RAW and I think it does.

Tiny animated object (permanencied): a fully articulated doll-sized object in the shape of a chibi fairy (tiny head, diminutive body), complete with wings. Made of soarwood, livewood, and bronzewood, with silk wings and clothing.

On its finger, an intelligent magic item: ring, with Ego 20. The ring is a ring of Spiritual Weapon (longsword), caster level 6.

My intention is that the NPC would have the physical stats of the animated object, and the mental stats of the intelligent ring. It would have clumsy fly movement of 25' or a land speed of 50' (the two legs add +10' to the base speed of 40'). The ring has full control of the object and is also able to use its own powers. So it would look like a clumsily flying chibi marionette that gestures about in combat as a longsword of force does its bidding.

Does this work?

I also explored using a bogun (with beget bogun spell) as the base creature, but that spell has major issues I can't solve without a lot of homebrew.

Last question: by RAW, could an intelligent item get class levels? I'm looking to have this chibi construct have levels in fighter without having to bend the rules too much.