PDA

View Full Version : Equipping an Invisible Stalker

Noxangelo
2021-10-23, 08:14 PM
As the title says, is it possible to equip an invisible stalker with magic items?

I found a thread on the minmax forums that said no because they are amorphous and therefore do not get slots, but the SRD does not say they are.

And how would any worn items interact with his innate invisibility?

Also what about his Tempest boss?

Side Question: what sort of items should I give him, just follow a rogue guide?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-23, 09:26 PM
This looks like another job for the Sculpted hallow/unhallow acorn of far travel hack (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?546179-Un-Hallow-that-Stacks). Have greater/superior invisibility as one of the spells that affect the holder of the acorn, and all of its items will be as invisible as it is.

Its master can have one, too.

It gives both of them lots of at-will and permanent buff spells (and powers) to give itself, with no action cost.

Crake
2021-10-23, 11:54 PM
I think you take the "Considered under the oak tree's canopy" clause incorrectly. It doesn't say anything about you gaining the benefits of any spells in the area, and if we took your interpretation of that the way you do, if someone started spamming fireball under the tree, you'd die pretty quickly, which is definitely not how that spell works.

It is more that the acorn itself becomes an extension of the oak tree, a connection to it, rather than a shrodinger's cat situation where you are considered to be in two locations at once. More akin to you taking the oak tree's canopy with you, rather than being in two places.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-24, 12:11 AM
I think you take the "Considered under the oak tree's canopy" clause incorrectly. It doesn't say anything about you gaining the benefits of any spells in the area, and if we took your interpretation of that the way you do, if someone started spamming fireball under the tree, you'd die pretty quickly, which is definitely not how that spell works.

It is more that the acorn itself becomes an extension of the oak tree, a connection to it, rather than a shrodinger's cat situation where you are considered to be in two locations at once. More akin to you taking the oak tree's canopy with you, rather than being in two places.So you're saying you don't gain the benefits of actually being under the tree's canopy when you're under the tree's canopy?

...wut.

Crake
2021-10-24, 01:13 AM
So you're saying you don't gain the benefits of actually being under the tree's canopy when you're under the tree's canopy?

...wut.

Please rephrase your question in a less ambiguous manner, and I'll try to answer it.

hamishspence
2021-10-24, 02:07 AM
As the title says, is it possible to equip an invisible stalker with magic items?

I found a thread on the minmax forums that said no because they are amorphous and therefore do not get slots, but the SRD does not say they are.

Actually the SRD does use the phrase "amorphous"

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/invisibleStalker.htm

Invisible stalkers have an amorphous form. A see invisibility spell shows only a dim outline of a cloud, while a true seeing spell reveals a roiling cloud of vapor.

Thurbane
2021-10-24, 02:31 AM
The SRD description says:

Invisible stalkers have an amorphous form. A see invisibility spell shows only a dim outline of a cloud, while a true seeing spell reveals a roiling cloud of vapor.

And the MIC says this:

As a default rule, treat creatures of any shape as having all the normal body slots available. Creatures never gain extra body slots for having extra body parts (for example, a marilith still has only one hands body slot and two rings body slots). For unusual cases, here are some guidelines to help a DM particularly dedicated to details:
Amorphous Creatures: Creatures without any shape, such as most oozes and the phasm (in its normal form), have no body slots and can’t wear magic items at all.
Armless Creatures: Creatures without forelimbs, such as snakes, don’t have the arms, hands, or rings body slot (but see multilegged creatures, below). A creature with only a single forelimb retains these body slots, and can wear both of a pair on the same limb (such as both gloves on the same hand, and so on).
Fingerless Creatures: Creatures without flexible digits or extremities, such as horses, lack the rings body slot. A creature need not be able to manipulate objects to wear rings - a hell hound can wear a ring on a toe of its forelimb.
Headless Creatures: Creatures without an identifiable head, such as shambling mounds, lack the face, head, and throat body slots.
Legless Creatures: Creatures without hind limbs, such as lillends, don’t have the feet body slot.
Multilegged Creatures: Creatures with more than two legs can treat their foremost pair of limbs as their arms (allowing them access to the arms, hands, and rings body slots), even if those limbs are used for locomotion rather than for manipulation. Creatures with multiple legs that also have arms (such as centaurs or driders) don’t lack any body slots.

So, by default, it should have all of the magic items slots of any creature. However, the MIC provides an optional rule that the DM may decide it has no magic items lots.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-24, 09:05 AM
Regardless of DM ruling, slotless items should be fine, as should psychoactive skins, since they, while actually slotless, have a 'virtual slot' they take up, since you can only wear three at a time.

I'd suggest a psychoactive skin of proteus, since it's definitely the best, but that would kind of negate being an invisible stalker.

hamishspence
2021-10-24, 10:10 AM
Regardless of DM ruling, slotless items should be fineDepends on if you're using the MIC rulings or not. As written, a phasm, for example, cannot "wear" any magic items, slotless or otherwise, with that rule in play.

It doesn't say "can't wear magic items that take up slots" it says "can't wear magic items at all."

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-24, 10:49 AM
Depends on if you're using the MIC rulings or not. As written, a phasm, for example, cannot "wear" any magic items, slotless or otherwise, with that rule in play.

It doesn't say "can't wear magic items that take up slots" it says "can't wear magic items at all."But items that aren't worn, such as held items and ioun stones, should be fine regardless. And since items only cost more if they are moved from "slotted" to "slotless" or change body slot, any slotless item should be craftable as an ioun stone or as a held item with zero change in cost, so just do that.

ShurikVch
2021-10-24, 02:09 PM
Note: Armor For Unusual Creatures (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures) includes "Nonhumanoid" header - shouldn't it allow to use armor by Invisible Stalker?
(Also, I always thought Invisible Stalker is Humanoid-shaped - like Rules Cyclopedia said it: "An invisible stalker is a magical humanlike monster ...")

Noxangelo
2021-10-25, 03:51 AM
their natural invisibility does not carry over to their items I assume?

Telonius
2021-10-25, 02:52 PM
Hmm, but it does have a Con score. So Incarnum should be fine.