PDA

View Full Version : I have a large homebrew I want to present, what is the best way to do it?

Chronic
2021-10-24, 06:49 AM
Hello guys I have been working on a revised 5e for some time. It was a project for my groups, both to refine the balance and to make the game more in line with our way of playing. I think releasing it might be a good thing, some people might like it, and it could use feedback and more play testing.
I have checked the rules and nothing prevent me to provide an external link, which is good since the document is fairly long and would not be adapted to a forum post.
So my questions are: what format for the document would be the best in your opinion? And what site should I use to host it?
Pdf? Word? Odt ?
A site like mega? Or one like Google doc ?

noob
2021-10-24, 06:56 AM
I prefer a .txt file (is guaranteed to be readable no matter the setup of my computer).
If you have pictures in your homebrew then a .pdf is probably the best available format.
I also prefer it to be on anything that is not google docs.

Chronic
2021-10-24, 07:28 AM
I rarely use . txt document so I have no idea how the formatting will hold up, I'll make a test.
The document is without images at this moment.

Yakk
2021-10-25, 08:40 AM
You could consider a well structured wiki?

noob
2021-10-25, 08:49 AM
You could consider a well structured wiki?

That is definitively an interesting possibility.

nickl_2000
2021-10-25, 08:51 AM
I see Google Docs fairly often, since it is web based it is entirely platform independent.

Chronic
2021-10-27, 06:53 AM
It's 20 pages long, I don't think a wiki is necessary, but simply posting on the forum as if wouldn't work. I'm gonna make it available in pdf via mega or something and via Google doc. The rules themselves are written but I probably need to write some context for them since a few choices are fairly radicals. Knowing the intent behind the rule might also help readers to provide valuable feedback. I'll try to post it as soon as I have time to do that.

Kane0
2021-10-27, 03:50 PM
Im interested. If youre comfortable with putting it here i prefer without external links (spoilers are great for segmenting), otherwise pdf/google doc is standard.

Bjarkmundur
2021-10-29, 05:54 AM
Check my Houserule compendium in my signature. Is this what you're thinking about?

It's set up as a reference document, so I can share and explain bits and pieces of it with my players. It's in a constant state of flux as I playtest, tweak, add and update.

I try not to dump it on them all at once. I have a couple of handouts that are on the table, and past that I try to introduce one or two new mechanics each session. Then by the 5th session or so everyone is caught up and comfortable. I also make sure to present everything as an open discussion. I don't want to make anyone hold back their paying because they are uncomfortable with some of my rules.

It's getting the feedback that's the real problem. The best feedback I've gotten is when I've basically written an entire blog about a mechanic as I'm designing it. Then people know where I'm coming from and where I'm trying to get, and homebrewers love fixing incomplete mechanics. Whenever I just post a finished Mechanic to the void without any fluff, it doesn't get interacted with at all.

Chronic
2021-10-30, 06:58 AM
Yes it's fairly similar to your compendium, a class and mechanics rework. Yours seems way more extensive tho (I just skimmed through). You confirm what I already thought, I need to give some context and explain for people to give proper feedback.
I'll post it as soon à I have time to complete it then (time is the major problem these days).

Bjarkmundur
2021-10-30, 07:01 AM
Yeah definitely post it bit by bit if you want feedback :/