PDA

View Full Version : A stoned gnome

Xan
2007-11-17, 05:24 PM
My party just ran into a couple of really nasty spellcasters, one of whom hit us with a prismatic spray. So now our cleric with the heal spell is insane, and the gnome rogue has been turned to stone. The cleric we're hoping can have a moment of clarity enough to prepare and cast heal, though I know that's unlikely. If that doens't work, we know of a cleric who we can buy a heal spell from. The rogue is a bigger problem. We don't have any arcane casters who are high enough level to cast Stone to Flesh, and we don't know of anyone to buy it from (in the underdark, no big cities nearby). Is there any other way to deal with this, or is he stuck until we can find an arcane caster we can bribe?

Idea Man
2007-11-17, 06:44 PM
Stone salve, 4000 gp. A must for the emergency magical first aid kit.

brian c
2007-11-17, 06:46 PM
Stick him in a bag of holding. If you think you may come across some traps, take him out and toss him around to let him set them off. Won't hurt him at all, he's a statue.

Ozymandias
2007-11-17, 06:47 PM
Dude - dude - dude - just chill.

Amiria
2007-11-17, 06:57 PM
When your cleric is sane again or you go to the other cleric all should be well. The Break Enchantment spell can undo Flesh to Stone with a successful caster level check.

tyckspoon
2007-11-17, 07:01 PM
If you can get your Cleric back online.. well.. Break Enchantment won't help, Prismatic Spray isn't a qualifying spell type and Flesh to Stone is too high level, even if you did successfully argue that that was the spell effect you really needed to be reversing. You might be able to use Planar Ally to call up something with the ability to provide Stone to Flesh, if you're willing to pay the costs for it. Other than that, your best option is probably to drop the statuary into a Bag of Holding so you can lug him around safely until you get a chance to have the petrification reversed.

Chronos
2007-11-17, 07:21 PM
Break Enchantment won't help, Prismatic Spray isn't a qualifying spell type and Flesh to Stone is too high levelYou're correct about Prismatic Spray being the wrong school (since it's not an enchantment, transmutation, or curse), but Break Enchantment does work on Flesh to Stone. The level restriction is only for things that specifically can't be undone by Dispel Magic (such as Bestow Curse). Flesh to Stone doesn't have that specific property, it's just undispellable by virtue of being instantaneous (which isn't a problem for Break Enchantment).

Idea Man
2007-11-17, 07:27 PM
You need to find a way to get a calm emotions spell to last 10 minutes so your cleric can pray for his spells. That spell will negate confusion for it's duration, but only lasts concentration/1 round per level max. A 8th level cleric with Law domain and a resonable wisdom of 16 can cast enough of them to pull it off (7th isn't quite enough), or a 9th level cleric without.

Extend spell won't work on concentration spells, before anyone asks.

Edit: Make sure your DM only charges you for 2nd level spells, even though he's using higher slots. :smalltongue:

Lemur
2007-11-17, 07:32 PM
Sell him as a lawn ornament.

tyckspoon
2007-11-17, 07:39 PM
You're correct about Prismatic Spray being the wrong school (since it's not an enchantment, transmutation, or curse), but Break Enchantment does work on Flesh to Stone. The level restriction is only for things that specifically can't be undone by Dispel Magic (such as Bestow Curse). Flesh to Stone doesn't have that specific property, it's just undispellable by virtue of being instantaneous (which isn't a problem for Break Enchantment).

A), Dispel Magic doesn't work on anything with an Instantaneous duration (says so in the spell entry)

and
B)

If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.

Flesh to Stone is an Instantaneous duration 6th level spell, so it cannot be dispelled by Dispel Magic, so whether or not Break Enchantment can remove it is determined by the spell's level. It can't, although it probably should since this is exactly the kind of thing Break Enchantment is supposed to be used on.

Paragon Badger
2007-11-18, 01:19 AM
Stone salve, 4000 gp. A must for the emergency magical first aid kit.

Don't forget to buy some doritos too, cause he's gonna have mad munchies when he wakes up.

Lolzords
2007-11-18, 05:55 AM

You win.

Also, I agree, just shove him in the bag of holding and use him as a backup trap detector.

Foolosophy
2007-11-18, 09:11 AM
You win.

Also, I agree, just shove him in the bag of holding and use him as a backup trap detector.

and he'll probably get xp for it as well!

Chronos
2007-11-18, 02:39 PM
Flesh to Stone is an Instantaneous duration 6th level spell, so it cannot be dispelled by Dispel Magic, so whether or not Break Enchantment can remove it is determined by the spell's level. It can't, although it probably should since this is exactly the kind of thing Break Enchantment is supposed to be used on.The text of Break Enchantment (in the books, not online) specifically lists Flesh to Stone as an example of something it can work against, so your interpretation must be incorrect.

Mewtarthio
2007-11-18, 02:44 PM
The text of Break Enchantment (in the books, not online) specifically lists Flesh to Stone as an example of something it can work against, so your interpretation must be incorrect.

Seems more likely that they just didn't pay attention when writing that text. Your interpretation seems to be "It can undo anything within the proper schools, even instantaneous effects, except for ongoing effects that are explicitly stated to be immune to dispel magic." That doesn't make any sense, since instantaneous effects are implicitly immune to dispel magic (since there's nothing to dispel; the magic's gone).

Woland
2007-11-18, 05:11 PM
Seems more likely that they just didn't pay attention when writing that text. Your interpretation seems to be "It can undo anything within the proper schools, even instantaneous effects, except for ongoing effects that are explicitly stated to be immune to dispel magic." That doesn't make any sense, since instantaneous effects are implicitly immune to dispel magic (since there's nothing to dispel; the magic's gone).

If the book specifically lists that spell as something it works against, I'm afraid he's right. It's not an interpretation.

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-18, 05:38 PM

But... the penguins... there eating my beans.... *THUNK*

Mewtarthio
2007-11-18, 05:47 PM
If the book specifically lists that spell as something it works against, I'm afraid he's right. It's not an interpretation.

But what about the implications of that? Can you resurrect the disintegrated for free by performing break enchantment on the dust that remains?

horseboy
2007-11-18, 05:48 PM

Or have him denounce travel myths.

Yeril
2007-11-18, 06:11 PM
But what about the implications of that? Can you resurrect the disintegrated for free by performing break enchantment on the dust that remains?

No, because a guy who is disintergrated into dust, is dead.

A guy who is turned into stone, is not dead.

I suppose you could break enchantment on the dust and have a pile of dust-sized meat chunks. But I dont think he would survive that.

daggaz
2007-11-18, 07:00 PM
not to mention, disintegrate is not explicitly mentioned, while flesh to stone is.

Khanderas
2007-11-19, 04:48 AM
No, because a guy who is disintergrated into dust, is dead.

A guy who is turned into stone, is not dead.

I suppose you could break enchantment on the dust and have a pile of dust-sized meat chunks. But I dont think he would survive that.
Or just a dead body. In that case raise dead would work... or?
I cannot make sense of Break Enchantment anyway. A spell that makes you blind because your eyes explode ? Break enchantment.
I see Break Enchantment like a dispel magic. Perhaps the name is to blame. I know it isnt ("because") but eh...