PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Expanded uses of Create Undead?

redking
2021-10-25, 06:13 AM
Has there ever been a list from any official product that expanded the types of undead creatures that can be created via Create Undead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createUndead.htm) and Create Greater Undead (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/createGreaterUndead.htm)?

Tzardok
2021-10-25, 06:23 AM
I don't think so, but singular undead in the Monster Manuals often have descriptions how to make them with those spells.
I'll go look it up when I go back to my books.

Edit: Here are a few undead that can be created using Create Undead:

Bonedrinker (MM3): requires 15th caster level, 10 Ranks in Knowledge (Religion) and the corpse of a hobgoblin.

Defacer (MM4): requires 14th caster level and the corpse of a doppelganger or a similiar creature that mimics humanoids.

Blackwing (MM5): requires 18th caster level and the corpse of a giant eagle that was burried for at least six months in the area of Unhallow.

Bonespur (MM5): requires 8th caster level and skeletal remains equivalent to six medium creatures.

Sanguinous Drinker (MM5): requires 15th caster level.

Serpentir (MM5): requires 10th caster level and skeletal remains equivalent to six medium creatures.

Spectral Rider (MM5): requires Create Greater Undead on 12th caster level and the corpse of a mounted warrior of at least 6th level.

ShurikVch
2021-10-25, 03:25 PM
Alchemical Undead (Dragon #350): required 11th level, 10 ranks in Craft (alchemy), and a corpse which soaked in 100 gp of alchemical ingredients for at least 1 week

Baneguard (Lost Empires of Faerūn): required 14th level

Bone Creature (Book of Vile Darkness)

Boneclaw (Monster Manual III): required 15th level, Create Undead and Magic Fang spells, and skeleton of Large magic-using humanoid-shaped creature (like Ogre Magi, or some Hags) with grafted additional bones - mostly around the fingers (those bones should be cut from the flesh of living victims)

Bonesinger (Ghostwalk): required 12th level, 5 ranks in Craft (sculpture) and 5 ranks in Perform

Charnel Hound (Monster Manual III): required 20th level and ritual which includes Create Greater Undead spell, at least 200 corpses, and unholy unguents worth 15000 gp (in addition to the "regular" material components)

Crawling Head (Fiend Folio): required sacrifice of a Giant who just fed on at least three sentient beings

Corpse Creature (Book of Vile Darkness)

Crypt Spawn (Magic of Faerūn): required 18th level and Create Greater Undead

Crypt Thing (Fiend Folio): required 14th level

Curst (Lost Empires of Faerūn): required Bestow Curse and Create Undead or Create Greater Undead spells

Direguard (Lost Empires of Faerūn): required 16th level

Deathshead (Tome of Magic): required 17th level, Create Undead spell, and severed head of a drowned Giant with long hair

Dread Ram (Ghostwalk): required 14th level

Flameskull (Lost Empires of Faerūn): required 14th level

Husk Vermin (Drow of the Underdark): required Create Greater Undead spell

Juju Zombie (Unapproachable East): required 16th level

Necroplasm (Ghostwalk): required 16th level

Spectral Mage (Magic of Faerūn): required 16th level and Create Greater Undead spell

Spectral Steed (Ghostwalk): required 14th level

Strahd's Skeletal Steed (Dragon #359): required 13th level

Undead Martyr (Ghostwalk): required 14th level

loky1109
2021-10-26, 12:12 AM
Defacer (MM4) A defacer arises when a spellcaster creates an undead being from the corpse of a doppelganger or other creature that assumes others' visages.

Silva Stormrage
2021-10-26, 04:05 PM
I copied Irreverent Fool's list for undead and updated the table here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?537889-Undead-List-(Updated-Table)) to match modern forum code but I am not sure how comprehensive it is. Some of the undead listed above are listed but their creation method isn't listed. I should probably update the table a bit with those new creation methods and undead from ghostwalk.