PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Tactical Challenge

da newt
2021-10-25, 07:36 AM
It's been a while and I'm feeling froggy, so the following is a Halloween Themed tactical challenge. The idea is I present a challenge (combat) and you all put together a party and run through it to see how you did and especially to see what works well, what doesn't, and what could be done better. It's just a thought experiment for fun, it's supposed to be quite deadly, and prompt some interesting observations / discussions. In the past, I've always learned something ...

Situation: Your party has been tasked with preventing / eliminating / containing a cultist ceremony to bring a group of monsters back from the dead to wreak havok on the local town. The location will be the mausoleum under the grave yard, the ceremony is most likely already underway, it's almost midnight on all hallows eve, you'd better hurry.

Your Party: 5 total PCs, lvl 9, anything in a WotC published hardcover is fair game, each PC can have one +1 weapon or armor, and one RARE magic item.

Please design your party before reading on.

da newt
2021-10-25, 08:18 AM
Part 1: As your team approaches the mausoleum, they can see that the gate has been opened, there is a dim flicker of torch light inside, and they can hear low rhythmic chanting. As the party enters they hear "Heed my summons, for tonight we feast on the flesh of the living, RISE!" and the earth trembles slightly.

Roll Initiative.

Beyond the gate is a crude tunnel with steps leading down 30'. At the bottom of the stairs a large stone double door stands open. When you proceed low enough to peer inside, you see a dimly lit large central chamber (30x30) with the main door on the south side, in the center of the room a single Cult Fanatic (MM pg 345) stands before a large pile of corpses which begin to animate forming a Zombie Clot (VRGtR pg 255). Along the E and W walls stand 8 skeletons total (MM pg 272), and there is a single door at each corner of the room (NE, SE, SW, NW).

Play out round 1.

At the start of combat round 2, 5 Will o' Wisps (MM pg 301) drift down the tunnel from the cemetery to join the combat. IF anyone enters the rooms off of the central chamber they will find a 20x20 room with a sarcophagus in the center and a door on the left and right that lead to 5' wide passages to the next room.

Play out round 2.

At the start of round 3 the inhabitants of the 4 sarcophagus join the fight. From the NE a Banshee (MM pg 23), from the NW a Zombie Beholder (MM pg 315), from the SE a Wraith (MM pg 302), and from the SW a Ghost (MM pg 147). These monsters will attempt to use skirmisher tactics, hit and run, and incorporeal movement, using the side rooms and passages.

Now it starts to get serious. Play out rounds 3, 4, and 5.

da newt
2021-10-25, 08:28 AM
At the beginning of combat round 6, the following BBEGs creep down the entrance tunnel: (from MToF pg 224-226) one Gloom Weaver and two Shadow Dancers. They are here to make sure no one escapes with their lives.

Play out Round 6 + to conclusion.

When you've done all that report your findings and let me know what you think. I'm hoping it's an interesting and difficult challenge, but one that a well built and well fought team could survive. Try not to read ahead for the most honest results.

Feedback is encouraged.

da newt
2021-10-26, 08:17 AM
No takers for this challenge? Is it too difficult to think you could survive or is it just too much work / time to bother trying?

In the past these sorts of posts have generated some good discussions.

Is a party of five level 9 PC's too overmatched for this 5 minute adventuring day? I did throw one CR 6, eight CR 1/4, and one CR 2 at them to start, then add on five more CR 2, then an additional CR 3, CR 5, CR 4 and CR 4. At this point I also gave them a few rounds to finish off these goobers before bringing out the 3 BBEGs. I'd think this first wave would be a fine challenge - it is a quite a few baddies (19 total) but eight of those guys are CR 1/4 skeletons and six more are only CR 2 ...

I left a full 5 rounds of combat before the BBEG jump in - is that not enough for party to have pretty much eliminated the first wave? I expect that five level 9's PCs will be challenged facing the BBEG trio of two CR 7 and one CR 9, but it's doable, right?

Unoriginal
2021-10-26, 08:23 AM
No takers for this challenge? Is it too difficult to think you could survive or is it just too much work / time to bother trying?

In the past these sorts of posts have generated some good discussions.

It's been less than two days, da newt. It takes time to create a full party.

Especially when the first post is pretty explicit about designing the party before continuing reading.

Give it time.

da newt
2021-10-26, 10:29 AM
Will do - thanks.

arnin77
2021-10-26, 05:19 PM
I don’t usually do these things but I’m curious to try: is it starting equipment, +1 weapon or armor and 1 rare item?

da newt
2021-10-26, 05:47 PM
Yup, one +1 item and one RARE magic item per PC, other than that most anything mundane is just fine. Just enough restrictions to keep it realistic-ish. Enjoy.

Dork_Forge
2021-10-27, 10:21 AM
I'll voice my interest, but Unoriginal is right, building a party of 5PCs with magic items isn't a quick thing, I think most people that are interested in this simply aren't saying they are, they're just working on their parties before posting.

My party will likely include a Cleric and Paladin, the rest I'm still hashing out

shipiaozi
2021-10-27, 11:21 AM
All characters are female v-human, no CRB conjure spell allowed, viable in long adventure and not build for one difficult combat.
I assume they could get basic weapon, armor and material.

My team only consist 4 characters, partly because I don't want to build 5th, partly because my team are close to most powerful team in T2 and should on par with a decent team of 5. I would try the challenge later.

Rune Knight 8/Divine Soul 1
12*/20/16*/8/8/13
HP83/83, AC17, speed20ft, init+3+d8
Hand Crossbow+1: +7, 1d6+16
P: Fighting Style-Arhcery, Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, Extra Attack
S: Second Wind(1/1), Action Surge(1/1), Cloud Rune(1/1), Stone Rune(1/1), Fire Rune(1/1), Favored By Gods(1/1)
L: Wand of Fireballs(7/7), Giant's Might(4/4), Runic Shield(4/4)
Spells+5, 4/2, Cantrip Ignored, Prepare 3(Bless, Healing Word, Absorb Elements)

Barbarian 2/Long Death Monk 7
13->21*/14/14*/9/16/8
HP72/72, AC16, speed30ft init+2+d8
Halberd+1: +5, 1d10+16
P: PAM, GWM, Extra Attack, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense and Evasion, Deflect Missiles(1d10+9), Touch of Death(10), Hour of Reaping
S: Ki(7/7)
L: Rage(2/2)

Twilight Cleric 1/Divine Soul 8
8->21/12/16/8/13*/16*
HP64/64, AC19, speed30ft, init+1+d8(advantage)
Staff+1, Green-Flame Blade: 1d6+6+1d8 plus 1d8+3 to another target
P: Vigilant Blessing, Inspiring Leader(12), War Caster
S: Favored By Gods(1/1), Eyes of Night(1/1)
L: Sorcery Points(8/8, Twin/Quicken/Magical Guidance/Empowered Healing), Lucky(3/3)
Spells+7, 5+3/4/3/3/3/1, prepare 4+9
Cantrip: Cleric-Light, Guidence, Resistance; GFB, BB, Mage Hand, Mending, Friends
Spells: Cleric-Sleep, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Bless; Shield, Absorb Elements, Command, Aid, Aura of Vitality, CounterSpell, Fireball, Fly, Polymorph

Time Wizard 7/Tempest Cleric 2
10/10/16/16/13*/8*
HP64/64, AC21, speed20ft, init+3+d8
Fire bolt: +7, 2d10
P: War Caster
S: Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath(1/1)
L: Chornal shift(2/2), Momentary Stasis(3/3), Lucky(3/3), Arcane Recovery(0/1), Wand of Lightning Bolts(7/7), Wrath of the Storm(1/1)
Spells+7, 5+3/4/3/3/3/1, prepare 5+10
Cantrip: Cleric-Light, Guidence, Resistance; Fire Bolt, BB, Mage Hand, Mending, Friends
Spells: Cleric-Fog Cloud、Thunderwave, Healing Word, Bless, Cure Wounds; Gift of Alacrity, Shield, Absorb Elements, Knock, CounterSpell, Hypnotic Pattern, Summon Undead, Polymorph, Dimension Door, Banishment

X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall Fi - Wall
X X Wall - Wi Wall
X X Wall Mo So Wall
Door Wall Wall - - Wall Wall Door
Wall S - - - - S Wall
Wall S - - - - - Wall
Wall - - Cult - - S Wall
Wall S - Z Z Z S Wall
Wall - - Z Z Z - Wall
Wall S - Z Z Z S Wall
Door Wall Wall - - Wall Wall Door
X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall - - Wall
X X Wall - - Wall

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer
A=>Fireball, kill 4 skelektons, -12 to 4 skeletons and Cult, -25 to Zombie
M=>Move to right 2 of Cult
B=>Quicken GFB, hit, kill 2 skelektons

23 Monk
M=>Move to right of the Cult
AB=>3 attacks, kill Cult, -45 to Zombie

22 Cult Fanatic(Dead before action)

20 Fighter
AB=>3 attacks, use favored by god, kill Zombie

14 Skelekton*8 (6 dead before action)
A: Attack monk twice, deal 4 damage

08 Zombie Clot(Dead before action)

07 Wizard
Cast lv2 bless

Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Door Wall Wall Wall Wall Door
Wall Fighter Wizard Wall
Wall S Wall
Wall Monk Sorcerer Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall S Wall
Door Wall Wall Wall Wall Door
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall
Wall Wall

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer
Detected position of 3 Will-o'-Wisp, Warn allies

23 Monk
-1 Ki to dash, kill 2 skeletons

20 Fighter
Giants' Might, 2 hits missed with disadvantage

14 Skeletons*2 (Dead before action)

14 Will o' Wisps*3
Attacks sorcerer, shield, all misses

09 Will o' Wisps*2
Attack Fighter, hit 1, Fighter -9, then fly away

07 Wizard
Fire bolt, miss

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer
lv2 command banshee and wraith to move away, both failed

23 Monk
2+1 attacks, -1ki on attack roll, kill 3 Will o' Wisps near the sorcerer, very good luck!

20 Fighter
Action surge, 5 attacks, kill Ghost and 1 Will o' Wisps

15 Zombie Beholder
Eye rays against fighter, Paralyzing Ray, miss

14 Will o' Wisps*3 (Dead before action)

10 Wraith
Command, move away

09 Will o' Wisps*2 (1 dead before action)
attack fighter, miss, fly away

09 Ghost (Dead before action)

07 Wizard
Fire bolt crit, -14 to beholder

06 Banshee
Command, move away.

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer
BB, -17 to beholder, beholder OA miss

23 Monk
2+1 attacks, kill beholder

20 Fighter
3 attacks, all miss

15 Zombie Beholder(Dead before action)

10 Wraith
Move back, Incorporeal Movement 5 self damage

09 Will o' Wisps*1
attack fighter, -7

07 Wizard
Fire bolt, -4 to Will o' Wisps due to resistence

06 Banshee
Move back, Incorporeal Movement 5 self damage

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer
Reaction Command

23 Monk
Move, no meaningful action

20 Fighter -39
Kill Will o Wisp

10 Wraith
Move back, pass command, attack fighter and deal 23 damage
5 self damage

09 Will o' Wisps*1(Dead Before action)

07 Wizard
Move, no meaningful action

06 Banshee
Move back, Wail, everyone passed, 5 self damage

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer +12
lv2 command against shadow dancer and gloom weaver, all passed

23 Monk +8
-3ki, 26 damage to weaver, misty Escape
46 damage to shadow dancer, stunned for 1 turn

20 Fighter -27
3 attacks + Fire Rune, killed a shadow dancer

19 Shadow Dancer (Stunned)

15 Gloom Weaver
Hypnotic Pattern, sorcerer lucky-1, sorcerer and monk failed

10 Wraith -10-5
Attack Fighter, miss, Incorporeal Movement 5 self damage

09 Shadow Dancer(Dead before action)

07 Wizard +12
wake up sorcerer

06 Banshee -10-5

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer +12
Wake up monk, ready lv1 quicken command

23 Monk +8
-1ki, 55 damage to Weaver, stunned

20 Fighter -27
3 attacks, killed shadow dancer

19 Shadow Dancer(Dead)

15 Gloom Weaver(Stunned) -92

10 Wraith -15
Try attack, get command.

07 Wizard +12
Cantrip, -11 to Gloom Weaver

06 Banshee -15-5

Init Order:
26 Sorcerer +12
Cantrip, kill Weaver

23 Monk +8
3 attacks, kill wraith

20 Fighter -27
Ready attack

15 Gloom Weaver(Dead)

10 Wraith -15(Dead)

07 Wizard +12
Ready Cantrip

06 Banshee -20
Try attack, get ready attack, dead

Combat end, heroes lost following resources:
Sorcerer: lv3/lv2/lv2/lv1/lv1 spell slot, favored, 3 SP
Monk: 6 ki
Fighter: 27hp, favored by god, action surge, fire rune, 1 giant's might
Wizard: lv2 spell slot

Not a hard fight, only wail could threat players, but a good team should have method to boost save at lv9.

da newt
2021-10-27, 09:22 PM
Good to see some interest.

Dork_Forge
2021-10-27, 09:42 PM
All characters are female v-human, no CRB conjure spell allowed, viable in long adventure and not build for one difficult combat.
I assume they could get basic weapon, armor and material.

My team only consist 4 characters, partly because I don't want to build 5th, partly because my team are close to most powerful team in T2 and should on par with a decent team of 5. I would try the challenge later.

Rune Knight 8/Divine Soul 1
12*/20/16*/8/8/13
HP83/83, AC17, speed20ft, init+3+d8
Hand Crossbow+1: +7, 1d6+16
P: Fighting Style-Arhcery, Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter, Extra Attack
S: Second Wind(1/1), Action Surge(1/1), Cloud Rune(1/1), Stone Rune(1/1), Fire Rune(1/1), Favored By Gods(1/1)
L: Wand of Fireballs(7/7), Giant's Might(4/4), Runic Shield(4/4)
Spells+5, 4/2, Cantrip Ignored, Prepare 3(Bless, Healing Word, Absorb Elements)

Barbarian 2/Long Death Monk 7
13->21*/14/14*/9/16/8
HP72/72, AC16, speed30ft init+2+d8
Halberd+1: +5, 1d10+16
P: PAM, GWM, Extra Attack, Reckless Attack, Danger Sense and Evasion, Deflect Missiles(1d10+9), Touch of Death(10), Hour of Reaping
S: Ki(7/7)
L: Rage(2/2)

Twilight Cleric 1/Divine Soul 8
8->21/12/16/8/13*/16*
HP64/64, AC19, speed30ft, init+1+d8(advantage)
Staff+1, Green-Flame Blade: 1d6+6+1d8 plus 1d8+3 to another target
P: Vigilant Blessing, Inspiring Leader(12), War Caster
S: Favored By Gods(1/1), Eyes of Night(1/1)
L: Sorcery Points(8/8, Twin/Quicken/Magical Guidance/Empowered Healing), Lucky(3/3)
Spells+7, 5+3/4/3/3/3/1, prepare 4+9
Cantrip: Cleric-Light, Guidence, Resistance; GFB, BB, Mage Hand, Mending, Friends
Spells: Cleric-Sleep, Faerie Fire, Healing Word, Bless; Shield, Absorb Elements, Command, Aid, Aura of Vitality, CounterSpell, Fireball, Fly, Polymorph

Time Wizard 7/Tempest Cleric 2
10/10/16/16/13*/8*
HP64/64, AC21, speed20ft, init+3+d8
Fire bolt: +7, 2d10
P: War Caster
S: Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath(1/1)
L: Chornal shift(2/2), Momentary Stasis(3/3), Lucky(3/3), Arcane Recovery(0/1), Wand of Lightning Bolts(7/7), Wrath of the Storm(1/1)
Spells+7, 5+3/4/3/3/3/1, prepare 5+10
Cantrip: Cleric-Light, Guidence, Resistance; Fire Bolt, BB, Mage Hand, Mending, Friends
Spells: Cleric-Fog Cloud、Thunderwave, Healing Word, Bless, Cure Wounds; Gift of Alacrity, Shield, Absorb Elements, Knock, CounterSpell, Hypnotic Pattern, Summon Undead, Polymorph, Dimension Door, Banishment

Very curious why you'd go Barbarian 2/Monk 7 in a build?

da newt
2021-10-28, 05:23 AM
I'm happy to see Ship jumping in as they seem to have a unique perspective. This could be very interesting/telling.

shipiaozi
2021-10-28, 09:38 AM
Very curious why you'd go Barbarian 2/Monk 7 in a build?

In 5e, ranged weapon is much stronger than melee, one need strong melee ability to be melee.
As a result, only Monk and Barbarian tends to be melee, while Paladin could be melee and ranged.
Reckless Attack and Stunning Strike are best ability a melee weapon build could get, no surprise monk/barbarian is the best melee weapon build in 5e.
Monk isn't weak, it's just natural weapons are weak, sadly, 5e monk have no good ability to boost natural weapon.

AncientOne
2021-10-28, 01:04 PM
Almighty then!
This took me whole day to craft and simulate, but here we go:

Your party has been tasked with preventing / eliminating / containing a cultist ceremony to bring a group of monsters back from the dead to wreak havok on the local town. The location will be the mausoleum under the grave yard
Expecting undeads, cultists, mind ****ery and small chance of fiends or aberrations

anything in a WotC published hardcover is fair game
Oh my!

So…
First, never go anywhere without cleric
Vhuman Twilight cleric, +1 armor, +2 amulet of devout, Azorius background
13 / 12 / 16 / 8 / 20 / 8
AC: 19 (+1 chain, shield)
HP: 75
ASI: Warcaster, Wis +2, Wis +2
Spell save dc 8 + 5 + 4 + 2 = 19, Spell attack bonus +11

Next, we need another wisdom caster: Moon druid
Halfling (Ghostwise) Moon druid, +1 shield, Barrier tattoo (medium), Azorius background
8 / 14 / 16 / 10 / 18 / 10
AC: 20 (halfling, tattoo + shield) / 15+ (animal, tattoo)
HP: 75
ASI: resilient con, telekinetic (wis)
Spell save dc 16 / +8

Then, a Wizard, naturally
Yuan-ti War Wizard, +1 light crossbow, Stirring scaled ornament, Gruul background
8 / 14 / 16 / 18 / 10 / 10
AC: 13, 16 with mage armor (Ornament)
HP: 65
ASI: resilient con, fey touched (int)
Spell save dc 16 / +8

Next, a Paladin joins the party
Aasimar (scourge) Hexblade 1, Watchers Paladin 8, +1 armor, Sun Blade, Rakdos background
15 / 8 / 16 / 8 / 8 / 20
AC: 22 (+1 plate, shield, defense)
HP: 84
ASI: +2 cha, fey touched (cha)
Spell save dc 17 / +9

And lastly, more casters
Half-elf Dao warlock 3 (agonizing, repelling), Aberrant mind Sorcerer 6, +1 armor, Far realm shard, Izzet background
8 / 14 / 16 / 10 / 10 / 18
AC: 13 (studded leather +1)
HP: 68
ASI: Elven accuracy (cha)
Spell save dc 16 / +8

Lets rock!

Roll Initiative.
Cleric offers advantage to wizard. Paladin grants +5 to all. Result:
Wizard 25
Cleric 24
Paladin 23
Cult Fanatic 20
Druid 20
Sorlock 15
Zombie Clot 3

Round 1
*Wizard opens the game with fireball, as they do. 39 fire damage or save for half. Skeletons burn to dust regardless of the save. Leader barely succeeds and takes 19. Clot doesn't save and takes 39.
*Cleric activates 3rd level spirit guardians and advances 5ft into chamber, leaving both enemies inside guardians.
*Paladin moves next to cult leader and Zombie clot, and hits the zombie. 25 to hit, burning first level slot to smite, 30 radiant damage. Next hit, 23 to hit, also with 1st level slot, 27 radiant
*Cult Fanatics fails the save against guardians and takes 10. Questioning his life choices, he tries to Hold Druid so they can't do anything. Druid saves.
*Druid curses cleric because he can't now use Conjure animals, and throws faerie fire. Both enemies and paladin fail their saves. They move for SE door and open it
*Sorlock Shoots agonizing Eldritch blast, 1 for both enemies. Two beams with elven advantage. Nat 20 for leader and 20 for Clot. 9 and 12 damage, both enemies die. They move for SW door

Round 2
*Wizard dashes to open NE door
*Cleric stays where they are and dodge
*Paladin moves to open NW door
*Druid Conjures 8 wolves around sarcophagus. Wolves prepare to attack if anything rises from it.
*Will-o-wisps join with initiative 18. They dive straight for cleric, only visible (and closest) creature. 3 fail against guardians, two succeed. 22 radiant, save for half. Only 2 remain. Two shocks for cleric, none hits
*Sorclock shoots one of them. 1 beam hits, 18 damage, will-o-wisp dies.

Round 3
*Wizard Tolls the will-o-wisp. Wisp fails, takes 20, reduces it to 10 with resistance and lives with 1 hit point.
*Cleric dodges and casts spiritual weapon and tries to hit wisp, barely fails.
*Paladin move into side chamber, opens the sarcophagus as an action and sees Zombie Beholder. Warns others and passes.
*Druid wild shapes to Giant Scorpion, moves to middle of the room and dodges. Wolves prepare to bite anything that comes out of sarcophagus.
*Will-o-wisp takes its turn and is immediately burned to death
*Wraith rises from SE sarcophagus and takes 8 bites (with advantage). 6 hits, 44 damage, reduces to 22. Wraith is immune to prone. Wraith disengages and moves to inside the wall on SE corner. Takes 5 damage when ends its turn inside wall.
*Sorlock moves to NW door, Quickens Web to Beholder. Beholder barely fails is Restrained, and takes a tentacle to face. Fails cha save and takes 9 and is Frightened. Two EB Beams with Elven advantage, 2 hits even if counting three quarters cover. 20 damage. Finally moves 5ft south, outh of beholders sight
*Ghost appears and uses horridying visage against Cleric, Druid and Wizard. All three Succeed and Ghost floats to NW chamber.
*Banshee appears, moves next to Wizard and Wails for Sorlock, Druid, Wizard and Cleric. Wizard and Sorlock fail, but wizard succeeds with arcane deflection. Sorlock drops to 0, everyone else takes 7 psychic. Druid and Cleric save succesfully for concentration. Banshee moves inside the wall and takes 2
*Beholder rises, free from web, and shoots paladin with Paralyzing ray. Paladin succeeds.

Round 4
*Wizard casts Haste on Paladin
*Cleric activates Twilight Sanctuary and healing words Sorlock for 9 hp. Cleric moves to east wall and ends their turn and gets 13 temp hp
*Paladin hits beholder, gets nat 20, pumps 2nd level smite and deals 53 radiant damage. Next hit barely fails, and third hits for 15 damage. Beholder down. Paladin sees ghost lurking around the corner and retreats to main chamber next to sorlock and gets 14 temp hp
*Druid moves closer to east wall, prepares to attack wraith when it surfaces and telepathically instructs wolves to avoid clerics light and kill the ghost. Wolves dash into side tunnel. Closest of them is now next to ghost. Gets 11 temp hp
*Wraith surfaces, makes a wis save against guardians and fails, takes 9 radiant. Then druid stings, misses. Tries to Touch cleric, fails, and retreats back to wall, taking 8
*Sorlock gets up, moves to center next to druid and prepares to EB first enemy they see. Gets 15 temp hp
*Ghost kills wolf with Touch and floats to north tunnel, trying to get closer to wizard, seeing them as best possession target. Ends in wall and takes 9
*Banshee surfaces in NE room, makes a wis save, fails, takes 6 radiant, and sorcerer shoots. Both hit even with ½ cover, 18 damage and pushed 10ft. Floats back to wizard and fails to touch them with natural 1. Retreats back to wall and takes 1

Round 5
*Wizard casts Mirror Image, moves to center next to Sorlock and gets 11 temp hp.
*Cleric prepares Guiding Bolt, on next enemy they see. Gets 13 temp hp
*Paladin moves to NE door and prepares to attack next enemy they can reach. Gets 11 temp hp, but keeps old
*Druid moves one down, prepares to attack next enemy they can reach. Gets 14 temp hp. Wolves dash to NE room using tunnels
*Wraith surfaces, barely succeeds on wis save, takes 9. Sorlock Blasts it but misses with both. Cleric shoots Guiding bolt, hits, wraith takes 14 and dies
*Sorlock prepares EB for next enemy they see. Gets 12 temp hp and declines.
*Ghost surfaces in central chamber through north wall. Paladin and Druid can't reach, but Sorlock can. 1 beam hits, 13 force. Ghost floats next to wizard and tries to possess them. Wizard saves.
*Banshee surfaces, fails wis save, takes 10 radiant, and paladin attacks. Nat 20, 1st level slot for 44 radiant. Banshee evaporates

Round 6
*Shadow elves enter the tunnel. Gloom weaver rolls 15 and shadow dancers 14
*Wizard throws another 3rd level fireball. 1 Dancer fails. 24 damage to it and 12 for others. Gains 15 temp hp
*Cleric moves to closer to newcomers, Action guiding bolt for Gloom Weaver. 17 radiant. Bonus action Spiritual weapon against Shadow dancer, misses. Declines 11 temp hp
*Paladin move next to Ghost, hits, 17 radiant, then moves next to Ghost Weaver. Ghost misses opportunity attack. Bonus action Hexblades curse, second attack,crits with 19, burning 2nd level slot for 48 radiant. Weaver teleports to safety. Haste attack for dancer, hits, 14 radiant. Declines 13 temp hp
*Druid has blindsight, moves to Weaver and multiattacks. Nat 1, 21 and 20. 9 bludgeoning and grappled, 10 piercing and 22 poison, Weaver fails their check. Druid commands wolves to attack Weaver, move to central chamber and avoid clerics light. Declines 10 temp hp
*Only one wolf can attack Weaver, hits, 5 damage, and Weaver fails str save and is both prone and grappled
*Weaver casts hypnotic pattern affecting everyone except Paladin, Dancers and 2 wolves. Wizard counterspells, succeeds and gains power surge
*Sorlock Quickens Spike Growth to tunnel and slaps Ghost with tentacle. Ghost fails Cha save, and takes 15 psychic. Ghost vanishes. Then they shoot injured shadow dancer with EB. 1 hit, 19 damage and Dancer is pushed 10ft back, taking 11 piercing.. Declines 13 temp hp
*Dancers are in bright daylight thanks to Paladin, so they can't jump. Pushed one advances 5ft, takes 4 damage, and they both attack Paladin for total of six times. All miss

Round 7
*Wizard Commands Dancer to Grovel. Dancer fails. Declines 10 temp hp
*Cleric shoots more injured Dancer with guiding bolt and hits with 23 radiant. Dancer dies. Bonus action moves Spiritual weapon and hits Weaver with 13 damage. Declines 10 temp hp
*Paladin moves next to Weaver. Dancer fails to hit with opportunity attack. Hits, burns 1st level slot, 31 damage. Weaver dies and Paladin would gain hit points had they lost any. Paladin moves back to Dancer, takes 3 from spikes and hits, 11 radiant. Dodges with Haste action. Takes 12 temp hp
*Druid moves closer, can't hit Dancer because Paladin is in way and commands wolves to attack Dancer avoiding Clerics Light. Cleric drops concentration and wolves attack. Only 1 can reach Dancer, takes 5 from spikes and bites for 5 damage. Dancer saves for prone. Declines 11 temp hp
*Sorlock shoots Dancer with EB, one beam hit even with cover, other misses. 9 damage and Dancer is pushed and takes 4 more. Declines 11 temp hp
*Dancer sees that all hope is lost and decides to die in a blaze of glory. Advances 5ft, takes 4 and tries to hit Paladin 3 times. Miss, miss and miss, last one thanks to Haste.

Round 8
*Wizard Tolls the Dancer. Dancer fails, takes 4 reduced to 2. Declines 10 temp hp
*Cleric shoots Dancer with 2nd level guiding bolt, misses with nat 1. Declines 10 temp hp
*Paladin advances 10ft, takes 11 from spikes. Hits with 1st level smite for 22 radiant. Dancer dies and fight is over. Gain 12 temp hp

Dust settles: Paladin is nearly out of smite slots, Sorlock has 9 hp (+ temp hp) and everyone else is quite fine. Once again, battle is won even with suboptimal moves caused by positioning and initiative order.

Notes and observations:
* Ravnica backgrounds were not used much in this fight.
* Ghosts ended their moves inside walls because that way they take a lot less damage.
* Wail is deadly, no matter the level
* Action economy rules, and there would have been more creatures if not for Clerics Spirit Guardians
* Paladin did some serious work. Beware the critting Paladins
* Wizard crowd controlled, counterspelled enemy casters and buffed Paladin. Job well done
* Cleric prevented summoning more creatures, but also healed Sorlock. In different battlefield they would have been on front row preventing enemy reaching backline
* Druid didn't do much, because there was not enough room for them and their wolves. But Sorlock enjoyed the Faerie fire.
* Sorlock was supposed to Quicken EB, but soon realized that Quickening is 2 sorcery points, not 1. Bother.

let me know what you think
With poor rolls things may have gone very poorly. Also, slower party would probably drown in enemies. As an encounter, I liked it. I would like to take another at some point.

da newt
2021-10-28, 01:52 PM
Thanks. Nice write up. The rolls did seem a bit in your favor - more crits than I'd expect and the bad guys seemed to fail/miss often. What are the odds of a 39 damage fireball and 22 damage spirit guardians?

It seems your basic strategy was aggressive early, and it worked.

Unoriginal
2021-10-28, 08:04 PM
I'm still working on my team. Not sure what the 5th should be, but I think I'll be done tomorrow.

sethdmichaels
2021-10-29, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping it's an interesting and difficult challenge, but one that a well built and well fought team could survive. Try not to read ahead for the most honest results.

Feedback is encouraged.

this was fun! not going to dig into every detail of every turn, but some takeaways...

- used a gloomstalker, a redemption paladin, an artillerist (whose cannon and homonculus really helped), a storm sorcerer, and a psi warrior fighter. kind of a weird party, just had some theorycrafted characters on hand to throw at this.
- a good level of challenge. got rid of the cultist right away, the clot in 3, the skels and Wills by round 4, the undead arrivals by the end of round 5, and the big bads by the end of round 7...
- ...but it was tough and i had to use healing to lift up fallen PCs 3 times. nobody ended the encounter with more than 20 hit points left.
- the baddies had some really nasty moves - the clot hurled flesh, the banshee wailed. definitely going to try and deploy some of these next time i DM a oneshot for my group!
- area-of-effect damage was the MVP. even with their resistances, the wills mostly fell to one well-rolled Cone of Cold from the sorcerer; the artillerist used both of their 3rd-level slots on fireball.
- sharpshooter on my gloomstalker was vital.
- didn't have a cleric/druid/bard and was definitely wanting for healing word.

thanks for assembling! i think a party of players would have some fun (and some real nervousness) with this encounter.

da newt
2021-10-30, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the write ups.

For those of you who have played this out, how did you DM the entrance of new combatants? It's hard to tell from the write ups, but it seems like before the start of turn X the new baddies are plopped onto the battle mat in plain view, then the first PC in initiative attacks them and sometimes kill/incapacitate them before they even get a turn to act. Did you try to fight the bad guys smart?

Would it be more realistic for them to be unnoticed until their turn when they used their movement to join the fight? For example, as DM I'd envisioned that the Banshee (INT 12) would remain in it's hidey spot until it's turn / first action, then move out incorporeal and wail (unless the PCs had spent actions searching / opening etc), and then move into the floor ... and the BBEG are built for surprise and hit and run.

Or maybe another way to look at this: If you re-ran the encounter, but this time the PCs were NPC bad guys and you were team badguy, do you think you could win? I think team bad guy has some fun tools to play with, and you could really dial up the challenge with a bit of tactics.

Foxhound438
2021-10-30, 11:12 PM
Ancients paladin with +1 shield and a stirring dragon's wrath quarterstaff from Fizban's, which is basically +1 with an extra d6. Good old quarter-PAM cheese, though I totally forgot to include a fighting style in my numbers. Nothing in the spell list ended up mattering, because paladin reasons, but I kept a couple of 2nd level slots in case a moonbeam might have been needed to deal with a ranged attacker. Paladin is my favorite class so this is kind of a go to for me, even without knowing a bunch of undead will be involved.

Light cleric with +1 shield and a +2 amulet of the devout, which is basically a rod of the pact keeper for clerics. Took resilient con for concentration, which is pretty standard in my opinion, though I made the race water genasi so it came at the cost of maxing wisdom. The amulet more than makes up for that. The usual suspects in terms of spells prepared, notably spirit guardians, spiritual weapon, and the subclass list's fireball. Big fan of light clerics so again a no brainer of an include to the party.

Evocation wizard with no weapon or armor, and a magic item I forgot to use (fulminating treatise). No surprises in the spell list, just a bunch of PHB evocations and storm sphere for fun. No feats for this guy (rock gnome). Not a huge fan of wizards in general, but I like the convenience of being able to fireball on top of the party without damaging anyone.

Shadow monk with a +1 shortsword and an eagle whistle, which gives a flying speed of 110 for this guy. Mobile, fairly standard. Shadow monk is like my favorite class to play in general, so I had to include it as well.

Eldritch Knight with +1 half plate and a stirring dragon's wrath longbow, which again is +1 with an extra d6. High elf with fey teleportation as one of the 3 ASI's. Typical shield/absorb elements/mage armor, find familiar, shadow blade, warding wind, and misty step from the feat. Didn't have a strong feeling for what the fifth character should be, but I've played an EK before and thought it had plenty of utility, so there.

The room is small enough that a fireball can touch pretty much everywhere, so the cleric started things off by killing most of the round with one. This is a big part of why I love light cleric so much. After that, the cultist tried to paralyze someone in vain, and was killed by arrows from the EK. Paladin and wizard then managed to kill the zombie clot before it could move, thanks mostly to some smites, and monk moved into the room and used dodge.

wave is cleared, a bit disappointed that the clot died so fast though... I guess that's my own fault.
Willowisps came in, one attacked the fighter who was still at the entrance, fighter teleported into the room to attack with bow, which missed once and did little damage on hit. Remaining wisps came into the room and tickled the wizard a bit. Cleric cast spiritual weapon, did a pinch of damage, then channeled divinity for 22 radiant damage to all of the wisps. One died, and the remaining 4 were killed on the wizard's turn via a shatter. The monk used dodge.
wave is cleared

The four extras then came in and took quite a while to kill; beholder missed an eye ray and then got killed through a couple turns of arrows, including action surge, and a wizard's fireball. wraith went in for a jab since it has no ranged attacks and got smote and spiritual weapon'd to death after a couple turns. banshee didn't kill anyone with its wail and got focused down after the wraith and beholder were gone. the ghost successfully possessed the monk on its first turn. Monk attacked the wizard a couple times while possessed. Cleric was then able to use channel divinity to turn the ghost, which is perhaps a bit of a meta move, but then again it's a fairly high level cleric. Should have an understanding of how that works. Also it's really hard to not use the feature named when you read the ability to use it on yourself, and are trying to solve a tactical puzzle. Paladin used lay on hands to remove a bunch of damage from the wizard. I removed the ghost here because it can't attack while turned, and I didn't want to track another thing arbitrarily.
wave is cleared just in time for the next. Well designed!
BBEG's showed up, the gloom weaver used blight and hit one of two spear attacks on the cleric, who was then was in pretty bad shape. Cleric used hold person to paralyze the weaver and slapped it with a spiritual weapon. One of the shadow dancers managed to crit the cleric, and I though that would have KO'd him, but he was just barely still up, and managed to make the dex save to avoid the 4d10 necrotic rider. Took under 20 damage from the hit, and kept concentration. Paladin smote the weaver to death. From there it was pretty much a simple slug fest, the cleric was KO'd the next round, and the monk was finally able to do a pinch of damage.

In conclusion, divine smite is OP, though we all already knew that. Most people would probably see the raise a bunch of undead line and go for paladins, so with that in mind 5 PC's is probably overkill, as seen with the monk not doing anything in that run. Five would maybe be right if there was a flat "no paladins" clause to the build allowance, since a PAM paladin with a magic weapon can pretty consistently deal 100+ damage to the initial big threat in the first turn. Though I guess PAM+GWM fighter would be in a similar boat. It's an interesting mix of creatures overall, though I might have picked something stronger than the vanilla skeleton, as those just died right away. The power of numbers here was slightly outdone by the AOE power of the cleric and wizard, perhaps instead of eight skeletons and five wisps I might have gone for three or four more things at CR 3 to 6 range.

I guess the other takeaway here is that the Fizban's dragon's wrath weapons are cooler than most other magic weapons of equal rarity, in that they get both +X to attack and damage and also bonus damage dice. Also being any weapon type means non-sword users can get a decent and interesting magic weapon if they're getting a pick an item like you do here.

In any case, it's a pretty fun encounter. I liked it!

da newt
2021-10-31, 10:13 AM
Thanks. I thought it would be interesting, and I tried to include a multitude of different options for team bad guy.

- I think the biggest error I made was expecting that the Clot would survive the first round so that it's Deathly Stench and Flesh Entomb attack could be brought to bear.
- I assumed the skeleton and cultists would die quickly, and the Will'oWisps would be an annoyance as they approach from the rear with invisibility and incorporeal movement - they don't pose much of a threat, but are annoyingly hard to target (if the DM chooses to use their full set of abilities to it's potential).
- The foursome of Wraith, Zombie Beholder, Ghost and Banshee I thought would be fun. They come from 4 different directions, can move to the room left or right of theirs or the main chamber, and each pose different issues - Incorporeal Movement, Create Specter (cultists gets a 2nd chance to play), flight, eye beams, WAIL, Horrifying Visage, Possession, Etherealness ... so many fun tricks to mess with. I expected this group to eat up quite a few resources and harass the team for a while with hit and hide techniques. The beholder is pretty easy to target, but the others should be tough to nail down.
- I think I also over estimated my trio of BBEGs. I expected them to be able to utilize their mobility to better effect. Shadow Jump is great and 3x attacks per round with a chance for something extra on each hit isn't bad. The Burden of Time DISADV on all saves aura, interesting spell list + 2 attacks per round, and one misty escape makes for a fun character too. Originally the BBEG included one each Shadow Dancer, Gloom Weaver, and Soul Monger, but I thought that might be a bit too much, so I nerfed it. I should have gone with my first draft.

These are the sorts of combats I prefer DM-ing. They take a bit more work, because there are so many things to keep track of, but I think they are so much more interesting than just one BBEG in a room or 8 identical baddies in a field to your north, and you can dial up or dial back the threat with tactical choices as you see how it plays out. Also, I'm a sucker for mobility. It's fun using badguys with brains - the Wraith, Ghost, Banshee and Shadar-kai are all smarter than many PCs, so you have free reign to be creative.

Happy Halloween. I hope more folks give this one a go. Enjoy.

Kane0
2021-11-01, 06:27 AM
Okay I kinda completely broke the rules and made this a chance to playtest some homebrew...
Point buy, average HP, everyone is a standard human with a +1 Weapon/Implement and Ring of Protection.

Barbarian (Berserker)
STR 18 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 9 WIS 9 CHA 9
AC 18, HP 95, Speed 40'

Warhammer: 5’, +9/+9 (1d8+5, Spikes 1d4+5, Crit +9)
Athletics +12 (Advantage w/ Rage)
4/Day: Rage +3

Danger Sense, Reckless Attack, Feral Instinct, Instinctive Pounce, Mindless Rage
Fighting Initiate (Brawling Style), Skill Expert (Athletics)

Monk 9 (Four Elements [Firebender])
STR 9 DEX 18 CON 16 INT 9 WIS 18 CHA 9
AC 19, HP 75, Speed 45’

Unarmed Strikes: 5’, +9/+9/+9 (1d8+5, 1/Round +4 elemental)
8/Day: Flurry DC 16
9 Ki/Rest
0 Ki: Control Flames, Produce Flame, Shocking Grasp
1 Ki: Flurry, Patient Defence, Focused Aim, Quickened Healing, +5’ Reach
2 Ki: Step of the Wind (both), Burning Hands, Faerie Fire, Witch Bolt
3 Ki: Flaming Sphere, Pyrotechnics, Shatter

Deflect Arrows (+ Dance of the Tide)
Slow Fall
Evasion
Purity of Body
Stillness of Mind

Ranger 9 (Beastmaster)
STR 9 DEX 18 CON 16 INT 9 WIS 16 CHA 9
AC 19, HP 85, Speed 30’

Dual broadswords: 5’ +9/+9/+8 (1d8+5 / 1d8+4)
4/Day: Quarry +1d6
3/Day Healing Salves (1d8 +9)
3/Day Beastform
1/Day Beastcall
Spells (4x 1st, 3x 2nd, 2x 3rd): Absorb Elements, Obscure Camp, Zephyr Strike, Aid, Find Companion, Flame Blade, Lesser Restoration, Conjure Barrage

Natural Explorer, Lands Stride
Dual Wielder

Beast Companion (Ape)
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
AC 16, HP 54, Speed 30’

Multiattack: 5’ +9/+9 (1d6 +7)

Human Sorcerer 9 (Draconic [Blue])
STR 9 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 9 WIS 9 CHA 18
AC 17, HP 74, Speed 30’

Spell Attack +9, Spell DC 17
57 Spell Points (4th & 5th level spells each 1/rest, recover 4/rest)

Metamagic: Accurate, Concussive, Empower, Extend
Cantrips: Lightning Lure, Shocking Grasp, Repulsion, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
Spells: Absorb Elements, Shield, Misty Step, See Invisibility, Haste, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Greater Invisibility, Storm Sphere, Prismatic Ray

Elemental Affinity (+4 Lightning)
Inspiring Leader

Every morning the Ranger upcasts Aid on the Ape, Monk and Sorcerer for an additional 10 HP each and distributes a healing salve to the Barbarian and Sorcerer in case of emergencies.
Every morning the Sorcerer Inspires everyone for 13 THP and Extends a See Invisibility on himself.

The party has a few established tactics:
- Ape will pair up with Barbarian in melee, Monk and Ranger try to stay mobile and Sorc hangs back
- Ranger and Monk will tag enemies to gang up on with Quarry and Stuns/Faerie Fire
- Barb will always attempt a grapple where possible, often while hasted by the Sorc
- Sorc loves to extend + empower a Storm Sphere to set up killzones and cover the noise of combat, especially with the Barbarian and Monk dragging people into it.
- The sorc keeps his accurate Prismatic Ray in reserve as a clutch for BBEG deletion

Barbarian 95 HP +13 THP
Monk 85 HP +13 THP
Ranger 85 HP +13 THP
Ape 64 HP +13 THP
Sorcerer 84 HP +13 THP, 53 SP

Initiative:
Barbarian 22
Monk 22
Ranger + Ape 17
8x Skeleton 11
Sorcerer 7
Clot 6
Cultist 3

Barbarian enters rage, moves in and grapples the cultist and drags him back towards the door while attacking him for 17 damage.
Monk Steps of the Wind, runs right past the cultist and attacks the Zombie Clot thrice for 25 damage then retreats back again.
Ranger and Ape move up to the Zombie Clot and start attacking also, Ranger initiating Quarry on it to dish out a total 53 damage
Skeletons raise bows and split shots between Ranger and Ape, Ranger takes 12 damage and Ape 6
Sorcerer bounces a lightning bolt around the room to kill 3 skeletons plus an additional 31 damage to the Zombie Clot, triggering his lightning resistance with one extra SP for good measure.
Clot has taken 109 damage out of 104 average health and fails the save to remain at 1 HP, dying before it can act
Cultist doesn't bother trying to escape the grapple and madly stabs at the barbarian for a lucky 8 damage halved to 4

Initiative & Health
5x Wisp 22
Barbarian 22 (95 HP + 9 THP)
Monk 22 (85 HP + 13 THP)
Ranger 17 (85 HP + 1 THP)
Ape 17 (64 HP + 7 THP)
5x Skeleton 11
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 47 SP)
Cultist 3 (16 HP)

The Wisps aren't as unseen as they think they are, and when they try to swarm the sorcerer at the rear they find he is very aware of them, missing their attacks
Barbarian crushes the last of the life out of the Cultist and moves on to the nearest skeleton, smashing it easily with his warhammer
Monk sees the wisps in the rear and moves up to assist, killing one off with magic punches
Ranger and Ape split up to deal with the remainder of the skeletons in the room, crushing one each.
The two remaining skeletons draw swords to close with Ranger and Ape, one hits Ranger for 7 damage
Sorcerer casts Slow on the Wisps swarming him, plus the last skeletons because they're in range too. Only one Wisp makes the save but misses the opportunity attack as the sorcerer retreats forward towards Ranger and Ape.
Cultist is dead.

Initiative & Health
4x Wisp 22
Monk 22 (85 HP + 13 THP)
Wraith 20
Ranger 17 (79 HP)
Ape 17 (64 HP + 7 THP)
Zombie Beholder 14
Ghost 13
2x Skeleton 11
Banshee 9
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 47 SP)

Wisps all converge on Monk now, one of which landing a hit for 9 damage
Barbarian hears the sarcophagi and grabs a skeleton for cover on his way to investigate (random door, SE). Upon seeing Wraith he swears, as he can't grapple incorporeal targets and instead readies an attack.
Monk has his hands full but manages to punch out another wisp with a flurry.
Wraith ignores barbarian, instead flying through the wall to turn Cultist into a Spectre. It's what he would've wanted.
Ranger has two new targets in the central room, he leaves Ape to crush the last skeleton as he moves to engage Wraith for 22 damage plus a new Quarry.
Zombie Beholder is having trouble with the door to his chamber and opts to disintegrate it, lazily floating towards the central room.
Ghost makes a beeline for the centre of the room and initiates Horrifying Visage, which only the Barbarian fails but he's immune to fear while raging.
Only one slowed skeleton left, currently being grappled by the Barbarian. He misses his sword swing.
Banshee can't quite get everyone in the range of her wail but tries her best, Ape fails and immediately drops to 0 HP
Sorcerer has walked into a very busy room, panics quite a bit and uses a Empowered + Concussive Prismatic Ray on Beholder. He lucks out with a double rainbow and deals 14d8 and 15d6 Force damage, deleting it instantly.

Side note, running this has a LOT of open tabs.

Initiative & Health
3x Wisp 22
Monk 22 (85 HP + 4 THP)
Wraith 20 (45 HP)
Ranger 17 (79 HP)
Ape 17 (0 HP)
1x Skeleton 11
Banshee 9
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 38 SP)
Spectre 3

Wisps are still trying their luck against the Monk, getting some lucky hits in for 24 damage
Barbarian sees he is being ignored and tears the skeleton apart before going for some reckless attacks against Wraith for 16 damage
Monk would rather be helping out elsewhere but contents himself dropping another Wisp with magic punch flurry
Wraith is injured and retreats behind solid walls as Ape isn't humanoid to turn into a spectre.
Ranger doesnt have the movement to chase Wraith but can tear into Cultist-Spectre, dropping it with 28 damage
Ghost sees that fear didn't work so tries possessing Barbarian instead, but he saves (thanks, ring of Protection!)
Skeletons are dead
Banshee can see that Ghost's fear isn't working so doesn't try it herself, instead attacking Reckless Barbarian for 13 damage
Sorcerer has regained a measure of composure but figures this isn't a situation for his usual storm sphere, instead Hasting the Barbarian and doing his best to move away from the worst of the melee
Spectre is dead

Initiative & Health
2x Wisp 22
Barbarian 22 (91 HP)
Monk 22 (65 HP)
Wraith 20 (29 HP)
Ranger 17 (79 HP)
Ghost 13
Banshee 9
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 33 SP)

The remaining wisps don't like their chances and bonus action wink out in order to move over to the Barbarian and attack him for 15 damage
Barbarian is in a target rich environment but has no bodies to grapple, and so just keeps lashing out recklessly against Banshee for 26 damage
Monk runs back into the fray to add another 25 to banshee
Wraith sees a chance to comes in and strike Sorcerer but rolls a 1 and retreats again
Ranger piles in on Banshee as well, dealing the final 12 damage to drop it
Ghost sees the way things are going and also retreats like Wraith behind solid walls
Banshee is dead
Sorcerer can only see the two wisps but has thoroughly had enough of their shenanigans and drops them with a concussive lightning bolt

Initiative & Health
Barbarian 22 (76 HP)
Monk 22 (65 HP)
Wraith 20 (29 HP)
Ranger 17 (79 HP)
Ghost 13
Gloom Weaver 11
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 28 SP)
Shadowdancers 4

Barbarian takes the opportunity to administer 13 Healing to himself with one of Rangers kits then zooms up the stairs not expecting the newcomers, but goes for the grapple on Gloom Weaver with an attack to boot. The 17 damage triggers Gloom Weaver's teleport which gets him out of the grapple
Monk can't see anything else either so follows barbarian, and also seeing bodies that can be stunned tries two on each shadow dancer. One passes and one fails, the former taking 30 damage and the latter 21.
Wraith sees another opportunity and tries his luck against ranger this time, getting the hit in for 25 damage but not breaking Ranger's concentration and eating both opp attacks in return for 16 damage
Ranger reckons sitting around waiting for ghosts is a lost cause and also moves towards the stairs, and takes the friendly fire risk to employ a conjure barrage. Gloom weaver rolls a 20 to save but the shadow dancers aren't so lucky, eating the full 20 damage each. Monk evades and Barbarian saves + resists.
Ghost makes a strafe on Sorcerer, hitting for 20 damage but not breaking concentration
Gloom weaver casts a 5th level Armor of Agathys (25 THP)
Sorcerer is concentrating on Haste but readies a cantrip against the first ghost he sees
Shadow dancer (one is stunned) moves to protect Gloom weaver from barbarian, but only hits once and restrains barbarian for 14 damage

Initiative & Health
Barbarian 22 (70 HP)
Monk 22 (65 HP)
Wraith 20 (13 HP)
Ranger 17 (54 HP)
Ghost 13
Gloom Weaver 11 (77 HP + 25 THP)
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 28 SP)
Shadowdancer A 4 (21 HP)
Shadowdancer B 4 (30 HP)

Barbarian easily breaks the chains hold and teaches Shadow Dancer the error of his ways with 38 damage, then grapples Gloom Weaver again
Monk depletes his remaining stun attempts with 2 each on gloom weaver and the remaining shadow dancer. Gloom weaver takes 18 damage and is stunned, shadowdancer takes 14 and is also stunned. Monk takes 25 from AoA.
Wraith makes another move on ranger, hitting for 21 damage but taking 22 from ranger and sorcerer's combined reactions and dying
Ranger is free to Quarry a new target now, picking Gloom Weaver as his target and laying into him for 32 damage, also taking 25 from AoA
Ghost sees that Ranger is running low on HP and goes for the kill, but misses and runs away again
Gloom Weaver is stunned.
Sorcerer can see stunned targets and goes for an empowered lightning bolt, dishing out 30 damage to gloom weaver and shadowdancer while narrowly missing ranger and barbarian. Monk evades again.
Shadowdancer B is stunned and dead.

Initiative & Health
Barbarian 22 (70 HP)
Monk 22 (40 HP)
Ranger 17 (6 HP)
Ghost 13
Gloom Weaver 11 (52 HP)
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 22 SP)

Barbarian is grappling Gloom Stalker and starts smashing, dealing 40 damage while dragging him towards everyone else
Monk punches gloom stalker for 29 and self-heals for 11, which uses the last of his Ki
Ranger applies a healing salve to himself for 14 HP
Ghost takes a swipe at sorcerer but misses and runs away again to sulk
Gloom Weaver is dead
Sorcerer moves over to ranger and applies the last healing salve for another 14 HP

Initiative & Health
Barbarian 22 (70 HP)
Monk 22 (51 HP)
Ranger 17 (34 HP)
Ghost 13
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 22 SP)

Barbarian is still hasted so dodges and readies for the ghost
Monk readies also
Ranger readies also
Ghost tries to pick a good angle but still eats 23 damage on his way in to deliver another airswing at the sorcerer
Sorcerer dodges

Initiative & Health
Barbarian 22 (70 HP)
Monk 22 (40 HP)
Ranger 17 (34 HP)
Ghost 13 (22 HP)
Sorcerer 7 (84 HP + 13 THP, 23 SP)

Barbarian, Monk and Ranger all ready again
Ghost makes his final attempt, hoping for a crit on ranger but again missing and eating 26 damage in return
Sorcerer cheers

That was fun!

Edit:

Thanks for the write ups.

For those of you who have played this out, how did you DM the entrance of new combatants? Did you try to fight the bad guys smart? Would it be more realistic for them to be unnoticed until their turn when they used their movement to join the fight?
I did try to do a bit of that yes, although having a PC investigate new developments I think is also reasonable.