PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Brainstorming - Artificer Alchemist modifications

jjordan
2021-10-25, 11:47 AM
I'm looking at replacing the artificer alchemist's spell list with potions. So instead of getting spell slots that can be used to cast magic the artificer learns how to make potions, powders, and other useful tools. This would be in addition to the infusions, which would remain unmodified. I acknowledge that it is, in some ways, a sub-optimal build because it would take away some immediate combat flexibility. In other ways it's a significant expansion of power because characters could stockpile. And it introduces a new level of complexity to the game that includes bookkeeping.

Example:
Instead of learning a spell the artificer learns how to brew a potion of fire-breathing. The potion will only last for three days and takes time and resources to prepare but will grant you the ability to breathe fire at a single target up to 30 feet away from you for one minute.

Putting a time limit on how long the potion will last will help address stockpiling issues, as will prep time and ingredients. The usage could be further balanced by having potion consequences. E.G. while using the potion of fire-breathing the character cannot speak. And the potion effect has to end naturally, so the character is locked in for a minute.

Your thoughts?

Yakk
2021-10-25, 03:21 PM
I made a stab at a general "Gadgeteer" artificer. It replaced spellcasting with Gizmos and Gadgets.

Gadgets where cantrips, and Gizmos where spells.

These Gizmos and Gadgets required constant maintenance, and would stop working. This was represented as a pool of "Maintenance points"; if you had more Gizmos than you had such points, the excess ones would break down.

Building a new (or repairing a used) Gizmo could be done in a rest, and required initially an hour. It dropped as the Gadgeteer gained levels. By high levels, all Artificer spells where effectively ritual spells (I took a look over the list; this didn't obviously break anything).

It was, in effect, a short-rest prepared spellcaster using the Artificer spell list. Maintenance points where 1/2 of your class level (rounded up) I think, and a level X Gizmo cost X points to maintain.

I also added Blueprints, the equivalent of a wizard spellbook. So you'd have a collection of such Blueprints; as a player, you where also responsible for explaining how the Gizmo worked. The DM could provide non-standard Blueprints (for non-Artificer spells) if they chose.

The Alchemist, I added in an ability to make potions as Gizmos that other people could activate. The Gizmo-potions still required constant tweaking, so failed if you got away from the Artificer for too long.

It was just a fun thought experiment. I never played with it.