PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Lawman: A Ranger Archetype for settings with firearms

gloryblaze
2021-10-25, 01:11 PM
Ranger Archetype: The Lawman
While cities are often protected by soldiers and knights, there's no better person than a ranger to patrol the wild territories on the fringes of civilization. Many governments hire ranger corps to bring the law to the frontier, relying on these rangers' skill as horsemen, trackers, gunfighters, and detectives to serve them well in law enforcement and paramilitary roles, even in the harshest and most lawless environments.

Lawman Magic:
Starting at 3rd Level, you learn an additional spell when you reach certain levels in this class, as shown in the Lawman Spells table. The spell counts as a ranger spell for you, but it doesn’t count against the number of ranger spells you know.

Lawman Spells

Ranger Level
Spell

3rd
command

5th
find steed

9th
slow

13th
find greater steed

17th
hold monster

Bonus Proficiencies:
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn how to shoot, track, and go undercover. You gain proficiency with firearms, the disguise kit, and the Investigation and Survival skills. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make using Investigation or Survival.

Lawman's Eye:
Also at 3rd level, you've become adept at using your magic to track down fugitives. When you cast a ranger spell of the divination school, you can choose one of the following benefits to apply to it:

If the spell requires concentration, you don't need to concentrate on it, and it instead lasts for its full duration.
You cast the spell without expending a spell slot.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, regaining all expended uses when you finish a long rest. If you apply one of these benefits to a spell cast using a 2nd-level spell slot or higher, you must expend a number of uses equal to the spell slot's level.

Rough Rider:
By 7th level, you learn to exploit the size and physicality of any steed you ride. While you're mounted, attacks against you have disadvantage if they were made by a creature smaller than your mount.

Big Iron:
By 11th level, you can gun down an outlaw before they even clear leather. When a creature makes an attack against you, you can use your reaction to make a ranged weapon attack against them. Your attack resolves before the triggering attack.

One Riot, One Ranger:
By 15th level, you are adept at handling crowds of enemies. Whenever a hostile creature targets you with an attack, spell, or other ability, you gain a bonus to your AC and to any saving throw you are forced to make equal to your Wisdom modifier if a different hostile creature has targeted you with an attack, spell, or ability since the start of your last turn.

When designing subclasses for a Wild West setting, it would be downright weird if the Ranger Archetype wasn't chock full of references to the territorial rangers of the Old West, like the Texas Rangers and Arizona Rangers—hence, the Lawman archetype! This is meant to be a mounted ranger, and it follows the usual ranger pattern of offensive feature at 3, defensive feature at 7, offensive feature at 11, defensive feature at 15. The 3rd level feature is meant to let you use hunter's mark without concentration so you can play with some of the ranger's other fun toys, like hail of thorns or ensnaring strike.

noob
2021-10-25, 02:35 PM
One frustrating thing is that nothing is gun based except one proficiency so just by removing that proficiency it could fit any non gun using wild west setting(so the "only if there is guns" does not makes a lot of sense for me)
Otherwise if you are doing a wild west based setting that include guns they will probably fit in martial or common weapons depending on the kind and so be covered by generic proficiencies and thus a firearm proficiency will again be pointless.

gloryblaze
2021-10-25, 02:51 PM
One frustrating thing is that nothing is gun based except one proficiency so just by removing that proficiency it could fit any non gun using wild west setting(so the "only if there is guns" does not makes a lot of sense for me)
Otherwise if you are doing a wild west based setting guns will probably fit in martial or common weapons depending on the kind and so be covered by generic proficiencies and thus a firearm proficiency will again be pointless.

Feel free to use this subclass in a Wild West setting that lacks firearms! The first subclass I posted from this setting was the Powder Mage (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?637668-The-Powder-Mage-A-Sorcerous-Origin-for-settings-with-firearms), which is a bit more inextricably tied to gunpowder existing, and the follow-up was the Shotgun Messenger (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?637874-Path-of-the-Shotgun-Messenger-A-Primal-Path-for-settings-with-firearms), which is also a bit more strongly firearm themed, so the subtitle made sense for both of those threads and I decided to just stick with it for consistency's sake haha. It's not meant to be a restriction or anything. You're absolutely right that this subclass would work just fine in the absence of firearms if you just ignore that part of the first Level 3 feature.

As for firearm proficiency generally, I don't plan to give it out for free (or as a bundle with martial weapon proficiency) in the game I'll be running in this setting—if you want to be a gunslinger, you'll have to pick one of these Wild West subclasses or take the Gunner feat from Tasha's. That's because firearms are stronger than other weapons—a revolver is a one-handed 2d8 ranged weapon, while a hunting rifle is a two-handed 2d10 ranged weapon, both of which put their closest martial equivalents (the hand crossbow and heavy crossbow) to shame. Therefore, when writing these subclasses, I tend to treat firearm proficiency as a feature in and of itself instead of a freebie or ribbon—that's why this ranger, for instance, doesn't actually get a damage bump (a la Colossus Slayer or Planar Warrior) at 3rd level. You don't need that extra d8 because your weapon provides it for you! Instead, the level 3 feature is meant to just remove some of the feels-bad-man of having hunter's mark eating your concentration. Ultimately, this means that if you're using a revolver and the Hunter ranger is using a longbow, you're both dealing 2d8 + 1d6 + Dex damage, but the Hunter has significantly longer range while you get to cast zephyr strike or hail of thorns every once in a while.

Potato_Priest
2021-10-25, 05:13 PM
What level will you be starting your own wild west campaigns at? While I can see your reasons for giving out firearm prof. at 3rd level like you have, having to play through levels 1 and 2 with a bow in the wild west will feel a little strange.

gloryblaze
2021-10-25, 05:36 PM
What level will you be starting your own wild west campaigns at? While I can see your reasons for giving out firearm prof. at 3rd level like you have, having to play through levels 1 and 2 with a bow in the wild west will feel a little strange.

Great question! The first game we'll be playing is a 5th-level one shot, but that's meant to be a playtest/prototype for a longer campaign that I'll probably start at 3rd level.