PDA

View Full Version : Hand Drawn Pictures

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-17, 07:05 PM
ive been wanting to get better as making hand drawn pictures that look good or atleast believable, like characters and things for campaigns, anyone got any tips??

bluewind95
2007-11-17, 07:10 PM
The tip that I've received is to be very observant. Try drawing things you see and work on the forms and details a lot.

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-17, 07:11 PM
okididly, ill have a go tommorow

potatocubed
2007-11-17, 07:13 PM
Practice.

Find a style you like and start out by trying to mimic it as closely as possible. This'll give you a basic understanding of how various aspects of the the style work. Add in other elements from other styles you like.

Practice.

Do commissions and things. Draw pictures for people. Draw pictures of people.

More practice.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-17, 07:51 PM
Work from the bones up.

Yes, in CGI, Vector, bitmap, or Hand Draw, I'd say always start with stick figures. Yes, even Marvel's beefiest heros like the Hulk start of as simple sticks.

It does wonder's for pose, position, perspective, and proportions. After you get your sticks and joints down, then work on filling that up.

Yes, almost any How To Draw books mention or focus on sticks. Any credible ones, at least.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-17, 07:53 PM
Most 'How to start drawing' books can help. You start with line making and mark making and value scales, then forms like circles with shadows. Then simple compositions of forms with the interplay between them. For human figure drawing, gesture drawing helps. As does learning scale and proportion. When artists hold their thumb up, they really are doing something.

There is a large component to representational drawing that involves how you see things. Training your eye and your hands to break things down and respond to each other. Seeing things in value scales and shapes rather than as a whole.

I'm from the school of thought that believes that before you start going wild with things, you need to know and master the basics. Salvador Dali could draw. Picasso could draw. You can go abstract and crazy when you have a good and solid understanding of what it is that you are manipulating.

What you are using to work can also be important. You are not going to get a full value range with a HB pencil. And kneaded erasers have benefits that white rubber ones don't. For gesture work charcoal or conte can be great.

And like potatocubed said, keep at it constantly. :smallsmile:

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-18, 12:19 PM
thanks for the advice, i shall look around for these learn to draw books :smallbiggrin: