PDA

View Full Version : converting an existing character sheet into a form fillable math accurate sheet

techpriest35
2021-10-26, 05:30 AM
Hey all i have this custom character sheet i got from an old thread on this site, and i would like to turn it into a form fillable D&D character sheet while keeping the look of the sheet.i don't really know what i'm doing or how to do what i'm trying to do. i do not have excell or adobe acrobat pro i can not use PDFEescape as the file is too big to use with the free version. my question is mostly if you all know of a free program or software that will allow me to upload the pdf then hit a few buttons or use an easy tutorial type thing to easily turn it into a 3.5 character sheet that is form fillable and has the proper math.right now i have an interactive character sheet it is the basic player's handbook sheet and some of the math is wrong
like if you have a small creature it counts your creature size bonus for base attack bonus as the same bonus for grapples, and you have to manually enter the touch ac/flat footed ac and you have to enter the modifers to ac other than from armor/shield.the file i'm trying to convert is a little over 13mb. i am not seeing where i can upload files so you all can see what i am trying to do

EDIT
apparently i am not making myself clear. i want some thing easy with no skill involved i will only be using it for 1 character sheet,once that is working properly i will never use the program or skills involved with creating a form fillable math calculating dnd sheet. that is why i want a program or software where i can easily with no real effort do the work my self. i know if i asked some one to do this they would want more money than im willing to spend. i think i might just have to keep my crappy interactive basic character sheet or print out the sheet and hope the dm can read my ****e handwriting

gijoemike
2021-10-26, 08:45 AM
I know of nothing that can do something like that with a pdf in just a few clicks. I had a friend that took excel and used dozens of function fields that did lookups on other sheets. And you can have a background picture over the fields in Excel too. But I will not lie he worked on that thing for weeks on end to get it to work with MOST of the fiddly math in 3.5/Pathfinder.

Your best bet for a home made custom program is most likely using excel with a blank PDF as the background then then changing the cell size to match the text boxes.

Malphegor
2021-10-26, 09:24 AM
Yeah your best bet is probably to just learn the if X, then Y calculation functions in a spreadsheet program of your choice then manually recreate your sheet.

AsuraKyoko
2021-10-26, 12:41 PM
I've been working on a character sheet using Google Sheets that handles all the calculations (currently working on the Pathfinder version, but once I finish my current improvement to it I'm planning on backporting it to 3.5). I recently added bonus breakdown by bonus type for most of the applicable fields, and you can select which ability mods to use for skills, attacks, and spellcasting. It's not quite in a state where It's ready to be shared yet, but I can tidy up any loose ends it has right now and share it later today, if people are interested.

Actually, that's a good idea in general. I think I'll make a thread for it to get feedback when I get home from work.

techpriest35
2021-10-26, 02:41 PM
i would be interested in seeing this.
the only reason i wanted something with few clicks or with a tutorial is i dont tend to know what im doing. i dont want to learn the excell sheet cause i just want this one character sheet to be fillable while still looking the same its a multi page character sheet made by Swooper who said i could use his character sheet and make it fillable as long as i credited him with the sheet. he made an amazing character sheet i could just print it and then write the details in like the old days but my hand writing is terrible thats why i wanted a fillable pdf

icefractal
2021-10-26, 03:46 PM
If you have a PDF editing program, you could maybe take an existing auto-calculating character sheet, replace the sheet image, and move the fields around so they lined up correctly with the new image.

Making an auto-calculating sheet from scratch is probably going to be tricky. D&D 3.x is not ideally suited to be handled by a computer (too many special cases - it's not impossible but it's a non-trivial amount of work).

What's I've done personally is make partially-calculating character sheets, which just calculate the more involved derived values for a particular character. That's a lot easier, but it doesn't work for "do it once only" because it'll need to be adjusted for different characters.

AsuraKyoko
2021-10-26, 10:05 PM
Alright, I've made a version of the sheet that is ready for people to look at (as in, does not have partially completed features cluttering it up). I suspect there might be a few errors in the calculations, and I need to go over it again to fix those, but as it stands it's useable.

The plus buttons on the left hand side of the sheet expand the bonus calculation sections, and I have some very basic examples of how to set up attacks already filled in.

As a rule of thumb, editing boxes that have an outline should keep you safe from breaking anything.

For entering your class and level, the Classes tab at the bottom will allow you to enter in your class, level, and BAB, Saves, and Skill Points scaling, which the sheet will use to calculate the other things.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16zE-gGp25_HLHwZBmSte600HS2YXBUy_TzsgaV4ZtgA/edit?usp=sharing

I would absolutely love any feedback people have for the sheet, and I would be thrilled if people like it enough to use it (feel free to save a copy for your own use and share with your friends). Just please make sure to keep the Info tab so that I get credit for making it!

I will be making a thread for this later (probably tomorrow).

bean illus
2021-10-29, 10:18 AM
Alright, I've made a version of the sheet that is ready ... snip

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16zE-gGp25_HLHwZBmSte600HS2YXBUy_TzsgaV4ZtgA/edit?usp=sharing

I would absolutely love any feedback people have for the sheet, and I would be thrilled if people like it enough to use it (feel free to save a copy for your own use and share with your friends). Just please make sure to keep the Info tab so that I get credit for making it!

I will be making a thread for this later (probably tomorrow).

I'm eager to see it.

It's been a while since i used this excel based character builder, but as i remember, it's rather complete.
http://theonlysheet.com/homepage/

I've used PCGen, and it's very detailed, fully customizable, and both generates the opponent, and tracks the combat.
http://pcgen.org/

Both have forum support, and even allow homebrew.