PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Gestalt Classes

lordmarcoos
2007-11-17, 07:36 PM
In a party with a Warblade//Psion, Wizard//Archivist, some kind of healer (cloistered cleric//Crusader maybe), starting at 1st, someone needs to be the skill monkey.

I was thinking Factotum, but how good is it in gestalt?

What would I put it with?

what's another good combo with the party above to be a skill monkey? Rogue/Something?

Ryuuk
2007-11-17, 07:48 PM
I don't actually have access to the Factotum, but I know it's an Int based skill class. Maybe something like Beguiler. It would give your ally Wizard a chance to worry about other schools things while you handle illusions and enchantments and you get Int Synergy, I think you only end up with one good save though.

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-17, 07:55 PM
Factotum//anything in need of standard actions.

With the 8th level ability, you get a as many extra standard actions as you have IP/3, so with FoI, you can do some serious damage easily.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-17, 08:02 PM
It's got a bit of MAD, but going with Spellthief on the other side is interesting. Alternatively, Bardic Sage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantBardicSage) , Beguiler, Monk (with the Kung-Fu Genius or Carmendine Monk feats), Warblade, and Rogue all do well.

brian c
2007-11-17, 08:02 PM
In a party with a Warblade//Psion, Wizard//Archivist, some kind of healer (cloistered cleric//Crusader maybe), starting at 1st, someone needs to be the skill monkey.

I was thinking Factotum, but how good is it in gestalt?

What would I put it with?

what's another good combo with the party above to be a skill monkey? Rogue/Something?

I know you're asking about yourself, but for your party member: why Cloistered Cleric//Crusader? Why not regular cleric so you can wear armor?

Anyway, for Factotum: gestalt with Rogue doesn't get you a whole lot more, but it would make for a competent skill monkey. Swashbuckler would be nice for Int-synergy, then maybe into Duelist later.

In general, Factotum is a very good class that can play several roles in a party, depending on what's needed. Your party already has spellcasting covered, arcane and divine, but melee support could be good for you. Also consider multiclassing into Warblade (or using that instead of Swashbuckler) for more Int-synergy and melee abilities

Fax Celestis
2007-11-17, 08:06 PM
Oh, and if you don't mind branching into alt-magic systems, I've seen good results from a Factotum//Truenamer, and stunningly terrific results from Factotum//Incarnate and Factotum//Totemist (the Factotemist, we called him).

MeklorIlavator
2007-11-17, 08:29 PM
I know you're asking about yourself, but for your party member: why Cloistered Cleric//Crusader? Why not regular cleric so you can wear armor?

Actually, Cloistered Cleric can wear armor, they just don't have medium or heavy armor proficiencies. They do get an extra domain, extra skills, and bardic knowledge, so in gestalt, especially when combined with a front liner, like the Crusader, they are a better choice.

Temp
2007-11-17, 08:49 PM
I'm a fan of Warblade//Factotum. Not because it's the ultimate end-all gestalt, but because it works so well to portray the Western Action Hero.

Like Frank's Rogue article says, the protagonists in most Western pulp are not the best at what they do. They get thrashed, they get thrown around and only at the last moment do they pull out some simple mundane trick that wins them the upper hand.

The Iron Heart school is based around these tricks and these turn-arounds in battle. The Factotum class is best used capitalizing on the opportunities that arise. Together, they do a most excellent job mimicking that cliche style.

@Fax--Why the Rogue and Bardic Sage? The Rogue contributes little beyond Sneak Attack and the "Sage" variant retains most of its Charisma dependance. If you're using UA variants, the Prestige Bard would be more effective.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-17, 08:54 PM
@Fax--Why the Rogue and Bardic Sage? The Rogue contributes little beyond Sneak Attack and the "Sage" variant retains most of its Charisma dependance. If you're using UA variants, the Prestige Bard would be more effective.

Rogue works well with anything, and in this case nets a bunch of defensive and passive abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge, sneak attack). And I had forgotten that Bardic Sage was a dual-caster: I remembered (incorrectly) that it all worked off of Int.

brian c
2007-11-17, 08:57 PM
Actually, Cloistered Cleric can wear armor, they just don't have medium or heavy armor proficiencies. They do get an extra domain, extra skills, and bardic knowledge, so in gestalt, especially when combined with a front liner, like the Crusader, they are a better choice.

Oh, I was thinking they couldn't cast spells in more than light armor.

This looks like it'll end up being a very high Int party, overall. Psion/Warblade, Wizard, Cloistered Cleric, and Factotum?