PDA

View Full Version : 5e Pure caster heist character ideas?

Zenesthetic
2021-10-26, 04:31 PM
I'm looking at a more RP heavy heisty campaign, where the group and I will go through great lengths of planning in order to avoid combat, avoid killing when possible. I have always fancied the idea of a caster who maybe lacked some of the rogue skills but made up for it with magic, or a full caster with the focus on infiltration, sabotage, burglary, and stealth, maybe 1 combat spell or cantrip (more geared to escape than killing but with the option)

Everything I try to search is some variation of a multiclass with rogue, which I will be taking zero levels in as our DM is a fan of people playing 1 class.

Of which I have found the genie warlock to be very appealing with the various magical senses, especially ghostly gaze, eventually flying, built in extra dimensional spaces, etc...

But without the rogue levels and skills I'm having trouble deciding the pros and cons of what races, what initial spells and what backgrounds to take.

What is your recommendation?

(Sub note, I have heard that druids make excellent full caster burglars, but I find that wildshape infiltration scenes are often time consuming and a little greedy with the spotlight, will consider these, but more looking for warlock advice)

Mastikator
2021-10-26, 04:37 PM
Wizard, creative use of spells like Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Unseen Servant and Disguise Self and you have a caster that can out-rogue any rogue. It's DM dependent but many wizard cantrips and first level spells are incredible if you are creative.

Amnestic
2021-10-26, 04:41 PM
Bards are full casters in 5e, complete with expertise.

Glamour or Whispers are both thematically appropriate colleges for a heist character - but lore does give you three extra skill proficiencies to help round out your tricks of the trade.

Bobthewizard
2021-10-26, 06:52 PM
Agree with bard. It's easy to play a bard with the criminal background as a more magical arcane trickster with worse combat and better spells.

Whispers would be perfect. Lore is always great. A couple other options:

Eloquence would let you talk your way out of anything. Take expertise in stealth and deception.

Swords would let you be a little less terrible at melee than the average bard. You could play it similar to an arcane trickster. Take expertise in stealth and acrobatics.

You can also make a decent rogue with the bladesinger wizard. Better spells, better melee, likely better investigation for traps than a bard, but much worse social abilities and no expertise.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-10-26, 07:29 PM
I'm looking at a more RP heavy heisty campaign, where the group and I will go through great lengths of planning in order to avoid combat, avoid killing when possible. I have always fancied the idea of a caster who maybe lacked some of the rogue skills but made up for it with magic, or a full caster with the focus on infiltration, sabotage, burglary, and stealth, maybe 1 combat spell or cantrip (more geared to escape than killing but with the option)
Bard. You're describing a Bard.

That said, a Pact of the Chain Genielock has a lot to recommend it--between your invisible familiar, your giant extradimensional vault, Disguise Self at will, and all the other lovely invocations, you've got a pretty deep and unique toolbox.

f5anor
2021-10-27, 01:30 AM

Given the power of magic and the extensive nature of spells available, the best choice can only be a caster. Moreover, the main disadvantage of magic in a social context in DnD is the fact that it is perceptible, and that given the wide availability of magic, its reasonable to expect that people will be familiar with it, and therefore be guarding against it.

Therefore, the best option for a "heist character" is a Sorcerer, that will be leaning heavily into Metamagic such as "Subtle Spell" and "Heightened Spell" (possibly also "Twinned Spell") to ensure that his spells are not perceived by others, and that they are reliably successful when it comes to affecting others. I expect that a majority of the "heist" related work will be focusing on manipulating others.

Also, "Distant Spell" and "Extended Spell" can be very helpful in this context to modify the behaviour of some spells to accommodate more difficult circumstances.

Sigreid
2021-10-27, 02:44 AM
I think an enchanter wizard could fill the bill with the right spell selections.

Aaron Underhand
2021-10-27, 07:25 AM
Trickery cleric with criminal background works too.

Playing a straight class trickery cleric at present. Enhance ability resolves dex skill issues, pass without trace is fabulous, blink is a brilliant infiltration spell.

I also have telekinetic for invisible mage hand, and "bonus action disengage"

I took aasimar, but half elf works well with the extra skills

Zenesthetic
2021-10-27, 05:16 PM
Given the power of magic and the extensive nature of spells available, the best choice can only be a caster. Moreover, the main disadvantage of magic in a social context in DnD is the fact that it is perceptible, and that given the wide availability of magic, its reasonable to expect that people will be familiar with it, and therefore be guarding against it.

Therefore, the best option for a "heist character" is a Sorcerer, that will be leaning heavily into Metamagic such as "Subtle Spell" and "Heightened Spell" (possibly also "Twinned Spell") to ensure that his spells are not perceived by others, and that they are reliably successful when it comes to affecting others. I expect that a majority of the "heist" related work will be focusing on manipulating others.

Also, "Distant Spell" and "Extended Spell" can be very helpful in this context to modify the behaviour of some spells to accommodate more difficult circumstances.

Strangely I hadn't considered a sorcerer, but looking at it now I'm considering either a Aberrant mind or Shadow magic sub class... hmm now for background, race, and spell research...

nickl_2000
2021-10-27, 06:41 PM
Warlock, either archfey for charming or Great Old One for communications that can't be heard.

Mask of many faces and misty visions.

Them I would go pact of the chain for a familiar that can go invisible

Aett_Thorn
2021-10-27, 06:55 PM
Don’t overlook a Druid. Their spell selection might take a bit more thought and creativity, but turning into a mouse to get under a door when your picks fail you is always fun.

Abracadangit
2021-10-27, 10:08 PM
That said, a Pact of the Chain Genielock has a lot to recommend it--between your invisible familiar, your giant extradimensional vault, Disguise Self at will, and all the other lovely invocations, you've got a pretty deep and unique toolbox.

Echoing what Grod said -- since you asked specifically for warlock advice, you can take the Disguise Self and Silent Image at-will invocations to be the rakish magical trickster with ever-changing disguises and illusory doubles, which is pretty much designed to work in an Ocean's 11 D&D campaign.

Plus Hex makes for a great all-around utility spell in heists & social situations -- everyone plugs it for the +1d6 damage, but remember, it also comes with the nifty side effect of allowing you to pick one whole ability family's worth of checks for the traget to suffer disadvantage on. Could be Wis checks on a guard if the party's trying to sneak by, Int checks if you want someone to believe one of your illusions, so on.

f5anor
2021-10-28, 03:17 AM
Strangely I hadn't considered a sorcerer, but looking at it now I'm considering either a Aberrant mind or Shadow magic sub class... hmm now for background, race, and spell research...

Yes, both look appropriate. I would go for Aberrant. Most of the Shadow abilities are overlapping with Aberrant, but Aberrant brings more to the table even without counting the extra spells.

Tanarii
2021-10-28, 03:40 AM
Bard for useful enchantment and illusion spells and expertise. Class skills any! Probably Investigation and any two cha.

Warlock for misty visions and mask of many faces. I’d probably go fey and chain. Also beguiling invocation for two free cha skills, using my class skills on investigation and history.

Druid for wildshaping into small innocuous animals. Class skills Perception and Survival. Lookout and urban tracker.

Trickery cleric for team support. In this case, I’d even consider a pure Dex/Wis build. Class skills probably History … Medicine? IMO this is the weakest option for full casting in this campaign.

Sorcerer for subtle magic. Class skills any two Cha.

Wizard for general magical utility. Enchanter or Illusionist would be strong for this. Class skills Investigation and History.

Urchin background for two useful skills, two useful tools, and a great background feature.

f5anor
2021-10-28, 03:58 AM
Urchin background for two useful skills, two useful tools, and a great background feature.

An interesting suggestion is City Watch (Investigator), or just outright Investigator. After all who watches the watchers, right?

And of course the obvious Criminal.

Waterdhavian Noble is an interesting twist that gives you access to places you might not be able to reach otherwise. It fits well the Aberrant mind theme i.e. the noble went mad using his magic to get to other nobles.

I am always partial to Far Traveler which beyond the useful skills, I find generally very thematic for almost any kind of adventurer.

RogueJK
2021-10-28, 08:36 AM
Aberrant Mind Sorcerer
Enchantment Wizard
Eloquence or Lore Bard
Genie or Archfey Warlock

Any of the above, picking up some rogueish skills like Acrobatics and Stealth from Background/Race/Skill Expert feat (unless you're going Bard).