PDA

View Full Version : The Final Tower (IC)

Lentrax
2021-10-26, 09:33 PM
She burned it. She burned it all.

The flames seemed to be almost alive with the fury and contempt She had for our town. They went from building to building. They consumed everything. Everything that didn't go with Her.

It all burned.

It burned as She left, riding away with her prizes.

She left us with nothing. She left us with less than nothing. A burning city, dead that outnumbered the living.

And we few were left to put out the flames.

She left. We remain.

Gods help us....

Sarsenport is still on fire. The Lady Keira, Holy Paladin of the Order of the Bloody Rose has moved on, leaving the mess of cleaning up whatever remains of the city to you.

The screams of the dying are heavy in the air, punctuated with the staccato sounds of collapsing buildings and snapping wood. And you, the lowest of the low. The newest of the guard, are all that remains of your garrison. That you have found so far, anyway.

Everything is falling to ash and flame, and it gets worse and worse. The mayor and his council. The captain of the guard. The leader of the local Merchant's Guild house. The woman who ran the caravanserai. All of them have been confirmed to be dead.

moonfly7
2021-10-26, 09:59 PM
Lyam looked at the other shaken survivors of the Garrison, the other who had been just preparing for the change of watch shift when disaster struck, likely being in the stone guardhouse is what saved them. His fingers are white on his spear, his face matted with blood from a cut from debree of the collapsing houses.

"We need to check for other survivors. Grid searches, like, like the thrice damned training says we do. I'm sure it wasn't meant for this few people or this kind of scale, but it's what we have. We stay together, and we work to clear each area bit by bit. We might be faster if we split but..."

His tired and frightened grey eyes flicker towards the lapping flames, and the pile of dead bodies they had discovered.

"But we've lost enough today. Can't go risking anyone sifting through wreckage alone."

He looks at them for confirmation, and they see that he's body is shaking, and he's terrified. Whatever force is keeping him going has latched onto the scant few weeks of training they have like a holy scripture, falling into a mantra: "we are the guard, this is guard procedure, we must follow it." in his shock. At least it seems to be keeping him functioning for now.

Niobaran
2021-10-27, 10:10 AM
Amando

Amando stared at destruction around him. Where there had been despair not long ago, there was now a hint of bewilderment. Something had changed in him, just a short time ago, and he started to see the world with different eyes and interpreting it with a changed mind. Someone else's eyes or mind? It was impossible to say.

Lyam's words interrupted his train of thought, and he slowly nodded. He moves over to Lyam and puts a hand on his shoulder. "I agree. Who knows what dangers await in the flames. Let's stay together, so we can help each other out."

As Amando's hand falls on Lyam's shoulder, it is as if Lyam could hear Amando's voice in his head for a moment. Not an order, not a threat. Just one word, verbally underlining the gesture: "Calm."
Amando has just become telepathic a few minutes ago. He is not quite aware of it, and will learn about it soon enough. I tried seizing the opportunity.

Starbin
2021-10-27, 11:37 AM
Jasper of the Greencloak (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2538991)

As the remaining town guards discussed a plan, the door opened suddenly. A large reptilian form entered, dark scales and glittering eyes holding a spear. Given the screams outside, the smoke, crackling of flames, the figure was more than a little disconcerting. But as eyes focused, they noticed a green cloak with a clasp similar to the ones they wore. With a realization, the guards realized this must be the lizardman folks were talking about, who had joined the Greencloaks. Jasper or some such, wasn't it?

Jasper glanced around at the small group, pausing uncertainly for a moment before finally hissing, ”Isss thisss it?" The beast seemed uncomfortable with speaking, more than just the situation. However, it was evident the lizardman was in the same fog that everyone else was, confused, worried, uncertain. Stepping further in, Jasper closed the door behind him and squatted down on his haunches, eyes darting around the room.

"Ssso ... what isss the next ssstep?"
OOC - Just a quick response ... figured a scout might not have been here when the attack came. Hopefully that's not taking too many liberties :D
AC: HP: Init Move 30'
Saves: Str + Dex + Con + Int + Wis + Cha +
Skills:
Tools:
Weapons: Bite (+ / 1d6+) Spear (+ / 1d8+)
Effects: Darkvision

moonfly7
2021-10-27, 11:48 AM
Lyam takes the Greencloaks arrival in stride, giving a curt nod and repeating his recent conclusion.

"Grid searches, we stick together and go area by area until we've cleared the town. We deal with the fires as best we can as we hit them.
He pauses and sticks out a hand, shaking off the question he had over what he swears was a voice in his head.

"I'm Lyam, your Jasper right? It's good to see at least one of the Greencloaks made it out of this alive."

Starbin
2021-10-27, 01:34 PM

Jasper looked at the other man's hand for a moment before reaching out and gingerly shaking it. For such a large clawed hand, it was obvious the lizardman was careful not to cause injury. He nodded at the comment, but wasn't sure if any other Greencloaks had escaped the razing of the town.

”Grid sssearch? Or sssearch the church firssst? Need healersss ..." OOC - An alternative approach, but not one I'm hard over. Trying to think about saving key folks before they die in a building collapse or the spreading fires ...
AC: HP: Init + Move 30'
Skills:
Tools:

moonfly7
2021-10-27, 01:59 PM
"Not a half bad idea, we should do both. The church is close, we start our search there then systematically move out after we've hopefully got more medically inclined hands. Sound good?" he asks looking at the others with an eyebrow raised in question.

Starbin
2021-10-27, 02:59 PM

Jasper presumed Lyam was talking to the others and didn't respond immediately. When it seemed apparent Lyam was looking for consensus from everyone, he nodded slowly.
OOC - no worries to pressing on with the plan. Not sure if the others agree :D
Skills:
Tools:

2021-10-27, 08:43 PM
"Best to spread out. Gives us the best chance of finding any survivors - and with the looks of this place, we'll have to take what we can get."

moonfly7
2021-10-27, 08:52 PM
"I don't know, Lini. It's a risk for us to try to do this with as few people as we have, let alone on our own."

He sighs

"But the heavens know I have no better idea what to do than anyone else. Madri's Dark veil, I don't care what we do so long as we get moving soon. Every second we spend discussing could cost lives.

Lentrax
2021-10-27, 10:11 PM
As you all sit around, trying to figure out how to save the most lives you hear raised voices from outside.

"No! This cannot wait! I have to get everyone I can!"

The door (or rather what is left of it) bangs open. Into the room comes one of the priestesses from the Temple of St. Aurobous. Her blonde hair is matted with blood, and her face is covered in soot from the fires that ravage the town. She looks around, and you can see the moment where she loses hope. You can see the despair rise on her face, but she begins to speak anyway.

"We found the High Priest. He has called for the guard, and is not much longer for this world. Come quickly. Please."

moonfly7
2021-10-27, 10:43 PM
Without another word Lyam nods and moves to follow her. It's certainly better than anything they could be doing here.

Lentrax
2021-10-27, 11:11 PM
Assuming everyone is going along to the temple...

The Temple to St. Aurobous is, like many of the buildings around the city, in a shambles. The wooden supports holding most of the second and third stories, as well as the belltower, have burned away, and because of that the stone walls and upper levels have collapsed.

The priestess leads you into the part of the temple that is still standing. Inside the air is hot from the flames, and fulll of choking black smoke. The priestess leads you into what appears to have been the accomodations for the temple's priests and caretakers. There is a massive arch, one of the doors that closed off the room beyond is still hanging by one hinge. The other still smolders, but the iron hinges are still attached to the wall.

The priestess leads you through the door and into the room, which looks to be the High Priest's chambers. She leads you to the back of the chamber where there is a stone moved aside, revealing a staircase leading down.

She leads you down the staircase, and as you go down, the air does improve. And because it improves, you start to see that there is a trail of blood leading down the stairs.

At the bottom you find the priest, laying in a pool of his blood, breathing heavily.

"Is... is this all...? Should be... more...."

moonfly7
2021-10-27, 11:26 PM
"As far As we know sir, we're all that's left of the guard. No one-no one else survived."

Lentrax
2021-10-28, 07:22 AM
"Falls... to you... then."

The high priest raises a shaking hand and leaves another bloody smear on the door behind him.

"This... door.... No... no one... comes... through... Beyond...Evil..."

His chest rattles as he breathes his last. His arm falling limply to splatter in the puddle of blood.

The priestess that came to find you begins to cry as she runs over tot he now dead high priest.

moonfly7
2021-10-28, 07:32 AM
"Beyond evil... What does that even mean?" he asks softly "It was important enought to send someone to come find us in this wreckageand rubble, but what does it mean?"

Niobaran
2021-10-28, 09:06 AM
Amando had tagged along with the others. On the way to the church, he clutched his spear tightly with his slender hands. While it would not bring him any safety against fire or falling debris, and he was generally bad at handling the unwieldy weapon, it still gave him a sense of calmness.

Seeing the priest lying in his blood, shocked him regardless. Something in him urged him to rush over to the dying man's side, but he found himself unable to move before the high priest took his final breath.

May you find your way to whatever-is-next, he thought, accidentally projecting his inner voice into the minds of the present.

When Lyam spoke up, he thought for a moment, and replied: "Maybe something evil will try to break through from the other side -- orr -- something on this side will try to free it?" Feeling that he had stated the obvious, he looked to the others, particularly at the remaining priestess.

moonfly7
2021-10-28, 09:49 AM
Lyam wipes his brow and shudders, leaning on his spear.
"Before today I'd ask questions and doubt. Like why in the Underdarks blackest night someone would leave our village to protect anything important. But now....nothing can surprise me. Not anymore."

Starbin
2021-10-28, 02:45 PM

Jasper followed the others, naturally drifting to trail the group. His eyes constantly swept across the town, a place that he had only known as home recently. He had been raised by a human, but most of his youth had been spent in the woods outside of town, where his adopted father Jacob lived. His first time truly interacting with folk in the town had been three days ago, when he started his training. Part of him wanted to just slip back out to the woods, go find Jacob and forget all about this. Nobody had bothered them out there!

But then again, he had been sworn into service; made a pledge to the safety of the townsfolk. How could he just walk away from that? No, he could at least help search the town, find survivors, and get the rebuilding process going. He could find time to check on Jacob soon enough.

But then the priest spoke, and laid a heavy burden at their feet right before he died. Glancing around at the others, he saw the same confusion mirrored on his face (well, perhaps not as obvious on the lizardman). No one comes through? Beyond evil? How cryptic could someone be? Guard the door? For how long? Did anyone know about it? What exactly was on the other side? Could they come through? If so, could any of them stop it? So many questions, and none of them appeared to have the answers.

Leaning forward, he tapped the other guards on their shoulders. He motioned to gather away from the priestess. He hissed softly, "Firssst ... ssshe sssaid 'we' ... and wasss talking to sssomeone elssse. Where are they?

Sssecond, how do we guard thisss and sssearch for sssurvivorsss?

Third, we will need sssupliesss.

Lassst ... I need to check on my home ..."
OOC - Thoughs from the liz
Skills:
Tools:

2021-10-29, 09:00 PM
Lini's eyes fell upon his form. Dozens of memories flashed before her eyes of a kindly old man giving her the second chance she never deserved. The vagueness of his request and its parameters paled in importance next to the desperation in his quivering voice. Before his final breath was drawn, her decision was made. As the others gathered to give the priestess her space to mourn, Lini hardened her heart and focused on the task at hand.

"Until the present crisis is over, we take turns. Two at the door, two in the village searching for survivors and supplies. We'll take turns guarding so that everybody gets a chance to look for their loved ones. After the dust has settled...we'll figure out sleeping shifts. One thing's for sure: we can't do this on our own for very long. We need supplies for staving off hunger, which means supply lines or at least deep reserves. And ideally, we need reinforcements. The four of us can do a good deal, I'll bet, but it also wouldn't take that much to overrun our position. Somebody...somebody will need to go get help from nearby settlements. Whatever guards and food and...stuff they can spare to help out. Ideally, we send to a nearby lord, whose duty is providing security in troubled times. Of course, it'll take time for any of that to get here, but I'm sure we can scrounge up enough around here to last us awhile."

Lentrax
2021-10-29, 09:58 PM
"You're not alone," the priestess says. "Three members of the clergy, not including myself are still alive. We can help you guard this place while you aid the rest of the town."

The priestess stands up and turns to face you.

"He may have given you the responsibility, but we can help."

moonfly7
2021-10-30, 11:26 AM
Lyam nods at the priestess.

"Good, that lets us do the job we signed up for. We'll leave it under your careful guard until we've finished our search."

Turning to the others he grips his spear.

"Linis Right, we're going to need supplies and a messenger for reinforcements. But that comes later, for now we go back to the plan. We search the area for survivors, keep an eye out for anything we can use as well. As much as I hate it, we should split up to cover more ground. Each of us take a quarter section of town. We meet back here when we're done or when the sun sets. Whichever comes first. Agreed?"

Lyam hates the way the words of command leaves his lips. He's not any more in charge than anyone else. But they need to move now, lest they leave people to burn and die still longer.

Starbin
2021-11-01, 04:47 PM

Jasper didn't say anything. The others seemed intent on giving orders, very focused on orders, but he just wanted to do what made sense. Searching the town was not a bad idea, although the balance between searching for survivors and supplies was somewhat tricky. Besides, if they found someone who was hurt what were they going to do? He was no healer ... were the others? But the longer he sat around thinking and talking, the longer it would take to go find his da.

He glanced at the door and the woman who had led them here. He nodded to her and the door. "Maybe ssshe guardsss firssst? Mebbe we need healersss ... for injuriesss?"[/I]
OOC - Maybe have one of the priests accompany anyone who doesn't have healing?
AC 16 HP 13 Init +3 Move 30'
Saves: Str +5 Dex +5 Con +3 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +0
Skills: Athletics +5, Stealth +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Survival +4, Insight +4, Investigation +4
Tools: Flute
Weapons: Bite (+5 / 1d6+3) Spear (+5 / 1d8+3)

Niobaran
2021-11-01, 08:51 PM
Seeing that his fellow guards were already putting together a plan, Amando turned to the priestess again.

"I know that those are difficult times, but... we need to know more about this place, and the aforementioned evil. Could you please share your knowledge about each?"

Persuasion if required: [roll0]

Lentrax
2021-11-02, 02:13 PM
"I do not know what this is. I did not even know of this stairwell until we found it while searching for Geoff."

Niobaran
2021-11-02, 04:16 PM
Amando nods. "I see. I will not disturb you further in your grief then."

Turning to the rest of the group, he addresses his comrades: "Alright, I volunteer for scavenger and rescue duty. Who is with me?,"

whether we follow the 2 stay 2 go plan of AV or the idea that we form smaller teams, I hope the post still makes sense.
I m ready to move either way.

moonfly7
2021-11-03, 10:08 AM
Lyam shakes his head in frustration.
"enough talking. I'm heading out, if anyone wants to join me, get moving. If not, well, anything is better than just sitting here doing nothing"
Lyam walks out the door and moves towards the first building nearby, looking for life.

Niobaran
2021-11-03, 10:10 AM
Amando

"As I said, i'm in," he responds and follows Lyam outside.

Starbin
2021-11-03, 10:39 AM

With yet another question ignored, and two of the guards departing in frustration, Jasper glanced at Lini and shrugged. "Guessss we go ... do we sssearch together or sssplit up?" The answer seemed pretty clear as the four guards headed in different directions. With a flicker of his tongue, Jasper nodded to the priests, then slipped out and headed to the southwestern part of town. He moved quickly, wanting to get to the edge of the town, then work his way back. He tried to ignore the crashing timbers and burning embers as he moved, eyes and ears focused on the sounds of living beings.

When he reached the edge of town, he paused, looking out to where he knew his home was, then back to the wreck of a town. He took a hesitant step to the open space, but stopped when he heard a shout. Glancing back, he saw two figures waving and calling out . Jussst go ... nobody caresss ... But even as the though ran through his mind, he hissed and snapped his jaws, pushing it away. Turning, he loped back towards the cries for help.

Bounding up, he found an older man and woman waving to him from the back of the inn. They paused as this walking lizard approached them slowly, exchanging worried glances at one another. But after a moment, the woman whispered something, pointing at his cloak. The man glanced over his shoulder at the building behind him, then nodded in resignation. "You ... you're one of the guards, yes? Scouts? Thank the gods you've come! We need help! There are people in here, but we can't get the doors open and the fires are coming!"

Nodding, Jasper turned to look at the building and saw the top floor of the inn was ablaze, but the doors the couple pointed to were storm doors to the basement. Walking over, Jasper grasped the handles and grunted in pain - they were hot! But from inside, he could hear muffled cries and knocking on the frame. Frowning, he wrapped his cloak around his hands, grasped the handles and pulled, but the wood was warped from the heat; they creaked and bowed, but didn't open. With a hiss of anger, he heaved with all his might and the doors burst open, revealing a group of huddle townsfolk, coughing and peering up with hope. When they saw the lizardman, bracketed by smoke, many shouted in fear and started to retreat, but when the couple stepped forward and reached in, they quickly realized they had been saved.

Several minutes later, as a crowd of a couple dozen folk stood around uncertainly, the older couple came over hesitantly to talk. He peered at them, his yellow eyes unblinking as they stood uncomfortably. Finally, after some hemming and hawing, the woman finally spoke. "Thank you for helping. My name is Yelna, and this is my husband Terrel. Do you ... do you know what's going on?"

Jasper thought for a moment as he considered the crowd, eyes all on him, before he answered. "My name isss Jasssper. The town ... isss messssed up. We need people. Need ssskillsss. Come with me."

The woman, Yelna spoke up. "I am the apothecary! And my husband woks in alchemy!" From the crowd came various cries.
"I'm a server at the inn!"
"I help at Rollo's farm!"
"Ah kin rid and rite"
"I am a woodcarver ..."
"I know the best hunting spots"
"I am a mother!"

The crowd started to, well, crowd him. Straightening up from his every-present hunch, Jasper hissed loudly. "Every comesss!"

Without another work, Jasper waved to the group and started heading back. After a moment, he paused and looked over his shoulder. "Grab sssuppliesss asss we go!"
OOC - Not sure if you need more than that ...
Skills: Athletics +5, Stealth +5, Nature +4, Perception +4, Survival +4, Insight +4, Investigation +4

moonfly7
2021-11-13, 08:36 AM
Lyam leads a small crowd through the burned out village, a single woman of the Cloth clinging to his shoulder for support. Lady Eda was a fierce and firey priestess, and she had helped how she could with her minor divine magic, but it had exhausted her.

Most notable in the crowd being Lyam were the 3 other guardsmen he'd rescued, Horis Boris and Doris, and the 3 Craftsman. Pavan the Smith, leesa the mason, and Tarron the leatherworker.

Lentrax
2021-11-15, 06:42 PM
The day goes on.

You extinguish most of the fires. You get people organized enough to help, and you think that you can manage to keep everything under control now.

You begin to take stock of what you have in the town, but do not get very far before exhaustion from the days events washes over you all. You all meet together one last time to establish watch protocols.

So.

Who is watching what, and when? Do not forget that you have a few more guards as well.

Niobaran
2021-11-17, 06:07 PM
"Pavan, is that you? Oh, you're alive!" Melinda Carpenter exclaimed and crawled from behind pieces of debris where she had hidden with a few other people.

Amando watched, as the artisans greeted each other and he gave Lyam an encouraging look. "We can do this!" he said, clearly having found optimism in finding survivors.

---

When it was time to arrange the night's watch, Amando volunteered to stay near the mysterious door. The barrier fascinated him, or rather the mystery behind it.

moonfly7
2021-11-18, 08:32 AM
"yeah....maybe. Lets just not get cocky. We don't even really know what "This" is. and I'm not trusting anything right now."

Starbin
2021-11-18, 02:00 PM

With survivors gathered and as many fires extinguished as possible, the group found evening coming. As the small contingent of guards gathered to discuss duties, Jasper crouched nearby, listening. The one called Amando offered to watch the door, clearly enthusiastic about the town's chances. The one named Lyam was less enthusiastic, but did not seem to have a preference for the watches. Jasper glanced around, then looked outward to the town.

"Ssso ... perhapsss two here, the ressst patrol outssskirtsss?" The lizardman was much more comfortable out walking around, and figured they still needed to watch for anything coming into the town during the evening.
OOC - I don't know if the town has walls or gates, and if it did, whether any of them still stand. However, seems we could probably have some pickets on the outer edge of town ... or at least around the core of what remains of the town (presuming some of the outer portions are gone.

Just biding time until we find out what those failed Wisdom saves mean :smallbiggrin:

Lentrax
2021-11-18, 11:38 PM
Night comes. And with it, come the dreams and nightmares made of what has transpired in the last 24 hours.

You stand on the wall, spear in one hand, looking out toward the forests in the distance.

You know she is out there. Somewhere out there. The paladin Keira.

She is somewhere in the night. And you are standing on the wall, standing between the evil warlord and your town.

You watch the night, looking out into the darkness. And that is when you feel it. A pulse from behind you as the night becomes lighter around you. You turn to look into the town, and you see the entire town ablaze, buildings with flames towering into the night. One of the only buildings not on fire is the temple, its stone building standing as it always has, ten stories high, with its towers and spires reaching into the heavens. As you watch, another pulse starts, and you watch as the wave of the pulse begins from the church and fans the flames further through the town. The pulse washes over you and you feel it calling to you.

You feel the pull inward, toward where the pulse emanates. And then you are there.

At the stairs.

The stairs down which lies... the door...

The door that leads to something....

You are at the bottom of the stairs...

The door is open.

You awaken.

Jasper. You find yourself standing before the open door. Your hand is still on the latch.

Beyond lies nothing but darkness.

Starbin
2021-11-19, 10:34 AM

OOC so much for Armando's watch :smallsmile:

The lizardfolk awoke with a hiss, gripping a spear tightly in his off-hand and the door latch with the other. He peered around in frustration, wondering what it was that had pulled him from his sleep. Glancing back to the door, he began to take a step towards the gaping darkness when he suddenly realized where he was! Frozen in confusion, the reptilian figure stared with growing apprehension.

"This... door.... No... no one... comes... through... Beyond...Evil..."

Jasper peered through the door for only a moment, then closed the door carefully. Looking down, he saw his clawed hand was shaking as he stepped back from the door.
He looked around for the others, knowing something important had just happened. As soon as he could, he gathered the other guards and told them what happened.

"I had ...dreamsss lassst night. Ssstanding guard againssst her. Then sssuddenly ... ssstanding at the door. Thisss door. Darknesssss calling ... pulling ... then I woke, ssstanding at the door. It wasss opened. I ... I opened it, in my sssleep." He paused to let that sink in, his tail whipping about in agitation.

"Dangerousss ... sssomething beyond the door callsss ... ssseeksss freedom. Mussst ssstop it. Two guardsss? Ssshould we block the door? Can priessstsss cassst wardsss?"
OOC - Clearly the least talkative member of the group must be truly disturbed to speak this much! Here's hoping I didn't just let out Gozer the Gozerian!

Lentrax
2021-11-19, 05:52 PM
You are unable to close the door.

moonfly7
2021-11-20, 10:00 AM
Lyams eyes widen in fear.

"You said it called you?" He whispers, his hand gripping his spear. He can't find it in him to blame jasper. This thing is clearly evil, and potent. Common guards can't be expected to stop it.

Starbin
2021-11-22, 04:15 PM

Jasper nodded slowly, his face scrunched in confusion. "No wordsss ... jussst feelingsss. Like ... ripplesss on the pond! Wavesss wassshing out ... from here. I sssaw myssself at the temple ... the ssstairsss ... the door. Then I woke up." He hissed in frustration, then struggled against the door again.

"Now ... it won't ... clossse!" He grunted with each heave, trying desperately to get the door closed.
OOC - He is truly trying to close the door, practically willing it closed.

Lentrax
2021-11-26, 11:22 PM
As Jasper struggles with the door, there is a... pressure. Like something is pressing against the other side of the doorway.

And then there is a sudden blast. Like an impact to the air. All of you feel it in your bones as they all try to jump out of your skin.

moonfly7
2021-11-29, 08:54 AM
Lyam immediatly points his spear at the door, hands shaking.

"We need someone to watch this thing. Every hour of everyday. It's-it's supposed to be shut but keeping anj eye on it is the best we can do."

2021-11-29, 12:31 PM
Lini does likewise, unsure what just happened but feeling a deep gnawing fear that they've already failed their mission. If the door was open...

Starbin
2021-11-29, 01:00 PM

Jasper's eyes narrowed as he peered at the other side of the door, and gazed down the stairs in confusion. "Won't clossse ... why? Nothing there ..." However, when Lyam mentioned guarding the door, his gaze snapped to the others. "Wasssn't it guarded lassst night?"

If they hadn't guarded it, why not? If they did, what spell had put the guards to sleep? If he was the guard, why didn't he remember?
OOC - Looking for any indications of something holding the door open ... glancing down the stares with Darkvision to see if there is anything down there.