PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 3.5e - picking spells from a changed assasin spell list

Bobur
2021-10-27, 10:15 AM
Hi, I am currently playing a Kender (3.5e Dragonlance) Ranger/Rogue that now enters his 1st PrC on Lv6.
There is also a monk, a cleric and a wizard in the group.

It's a homebrew class based on the Assassin - we didn't like the murder flair and so it's now centered around the Kender's taunt ability instead of poison and death attack.

The details are not important, but the spell list is slightly modified. And I wanted to ask which spells you would pick? My PC is an infiltrator type, but so far the adventure is more around the wild, ruins and caves. We were in a few villages but not really in a big city so far. ^^ Core only + Dragonlance (which doesnt offer anything to assassins), so these are the only spells. I might ask for changes though.

Assassin Spell List (modified)Int based Assassins choose their spells from the following list:

1st Level disguise self, detect poison, feather fall, ghost sound, jump, obscuring mist, sleep, true strike.

2nd Level alter self, cat’s grace, darkness, fox’s cunning, invisibility, pass without trace, spider climb, silence, tongues

3rd Level deep slumber, deeper darkness, false life, gaseous form, misdirection, nondetection.

4th Level clairaudience/clairvoyance, dimension door, freedom of movement, glibness, greater invisibility, locate creature, detect scrying, speak with plants

I have 14 Int, so 1 castable spell on Lv1, 2 known... True strike and obscuring mist seem good, maybe feather fall or disg self?. Since my DCs are too low to do much. What would be your picks or favorites? What to avoid?
Lv2 invisibility of course. Cats grace? spider climb can be useful at times... tongues since I have a lot of points in bluff and diplomacy although both of the others can cast it already.
Lv3 False life HP are always nice, even though I use a bow ... not sure about all the others on that lv. I never saw spells like misdirection or nondetection in action.
Lv4: Too much good stuff on that spell lv ^^ FoM, Gr Ivnis...

Gorthawar
2021-10-29, 04:28 PM
Assassins choose their spells from the following list:

1st Level disguise self, detect poison, feather fall, ghost sound, jump, obscuring mist, sleep, true strike.

2nd Level alter self, cat’s grace, darkness, fox’s cunning, invisibility, pass without trace, spider climb, silence, tongues

3rd Level deep slumber, deeper darkness, false life, gaseous form, misdirection, nondetection.

4th Level clairaudience/clairvoyance, dimension door, freedom of movement, glibness, greater invisibility, locate creature, detect scrying, speak with plants

I have 14 Int, so 1 castable spell on Lv1, 2 known... True strike and obscuring mist seem good, maybe feather fall or disg self?. Since my DCs are too low to do much. What would be your picks or favorites? What to avoid?
Lv2 invisibility of course. Cats grace? spider climb can be useful at times... tongues since I have a lot of points in bluff and diplomacy although both of the others can cast it already.
Lv3 False life HP are always nice, even though I use a bow ... not sure about all the others on that lv. I never saw spells like misdirection or nondetection in action.
Lv4: Too much good stuff on that spell lv ^^ FoM, Gr Ivnis...

My choices would be as follows and in the order written:
Lvl 1: obscuring mist (the cleric in the party I DM has this through the air domain and he regularly casts it to get the party out of tricky situations even though he's level 8 now), disguise self (it was the other Kender that took your stuff), feather fall (can save your life), true strike (it's rarely good to spend a standard action on it but the other choices are even less like to be needed)
Lvl 2: alter self (even with core only being able to turn into a troglodyte for +6 na, 3 natural attacks and the multi-attack feat for a couple minutes when those that you taunted get to close is amazing for a 2nd level spell, also adds a lot of versatility through swim speeds, skill boni and additional disguises), invisibility (when your wizard can't cast the greater version on you), silence (to get the party there quietly, annoy enemy spell casters), spider climb (gets you places)
Lvl3: gaseous form (gets you out of tricky situations), false life (extra hp), the rest is not that great at your caster level / spell DCs. Might be worthwhile talking to the DM for some different options.
Lvl 4: dimension door (you should be able to get the other buffs from your cleric and wizard at this point), freedom of movement, greater invisibility, glibness.

Hope this helps.