PDA

View Full Version : 4th Level (or lower) Sorcerer/Wizard spell to prevent ability damage

Yogibear41
2021-10-27, 12:51 PM
Looking for a 4th level or lower Wizard/Sorcerer spells (so it can go into a wand) that can be used to prevent ability damage/drain. I seem to remember some low level spell that gave you some undead traits temporarily but can't seem to find it.

Palanan
2021-10-27, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Yogibear41
I seem to remember some low level spell that gave you some undead traits temporarily but can't seem to find it.

Could you be thinking of Kiss of the Vampire? It’s from Magic of Faerûn, and “you are treated as if you were undead for the purpose of all spells and effects,” but unfortunately it’s Sorc/Wiz 5.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-27, 01:33 PM
Healthful rest is a level 1 bard spell (SpC or CAdv) that heals additional damage and ability damage when you rest. It's not a sorcerer/wizard spell, but sorcerers and wizards could use an eternal wand of it.

Polymorph gives you immunities based on your new type and any subtypes you may have, and creatures of the plant type are within its remit.

Beyond that, I don't know.

ShurikVch
2021-10-27, 01:47 PM
Shroud of Undeath (Sorcerer/Wizard 2; Spell Compendium) makes target to be "treated as if you were undead for the purpose of all spells and effects that specifically affect undead creatures"

Feign Death (Sorcerer/Wizard 3; Tome and Blood) halves incoming ability damage, and grants immunity to nonlethal damage, but target creature is cataleptic/comatose/in deep sleep

and creatures of the plant type are within its remit.
AFAIK, Plants aren't immune to ability damage/ability drain

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-27, 01:55 PM
AFAIK, Plants aren't immune to ability damage/ability drainThey have a number of auxiliary immunities, though, which make them immune to various sources of ability damage, such as poisons, crit-based ability damage, and mind-affecting ability damage (see: ego whip (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm)).

Traits
A plant creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

Low-light vision.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits.
Proficient with its natural weapons only.
Proficient with no armor.
Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep.

Eurus
2021-10-27, 02:07 PM
You might be thinking of shroud of undeath or living undeath, but neither one of those actually gives you undead immunities unfortunately. I did look through a few sources, but I couldn't find anything. Pathfinder has an Undead Anatomy spell, but that doesn't give you the actual type or immunities. All in all, I can't find any spells in the level range you're looking for.

However! A Talisman of Undying Fortitude is an excellent pickup for this. It's more expensive than a wand, but a swift action activation gives you three rounds of a lot of immunities, including ability damage and drain. Usable twice per day, so it should be very good for keeping you safe.

Sheltered Vitality is the go-to spell for this, but it's only Cleric or Druid. Still, if you can manage to UMD it, it's probably the most effective source of protection.

EDIT: Ah, the Magic of Faerun version of shroud of undeath actually works for this. The Spell Compendium version very much does not, so you would have to talk your DM into allowing the older one.

HalfQuart
2021-10-27, 03:32 PM
I took a look and didn't really come up with anything that matches what you want:

Body Ward = Cleric 2 / Druid 2, so nope
Construct Essence (RoE) = Sorcerer/Wizard 5, and only constructs, so nope
Delay Disease = Cleric 1/Druid 1, and only applies to ability damage from Diseases, so nope
Feign Death (TaB 3.0) = Sorcerer/Wizard 3, but in a coma/deep sleep, so not really useful.
Life's Grace (SpC) = Cleric 5, so nope.
Neutralize Poison = lots of divine classes, but also Bard 4, but only works against poisons, so probably not.
Sheltered Vitality (SpC) = Cleric 4/ Druid 4, so nope.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-27, 03:43 PM
The Sanctum Spell feat, from CArc, would allow 5th level spells to count as 4th level spells, so you could put such a spell on a wand. Spells like kiss of the vampire and construct essence suddenly become viable. Plus lesser planar binding to call something to cast cleric spells for you.

ShurikVch
2021-10-27, 04:22 PM
They have a number of auxiliary immunities, though, which make them immune to various sources of ability damage, such as poisons, crit-based ability damage, and mind-affecting ability damage (see: ego whip (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/egoWhip.htm)).
That's correct, but there are also diseases, attacks of various Undead, Blood Drain, and Bonesplitting Strike...

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-27, 04:26 PM
That's correct, but there are also diseases, attacks of various Undead, Blood Drain, and Bonesplitting Strike...Immunity to some forms of ability damage is certainly better than none. And polymorph, of course, is one of the better spells to have at your disposal, immunity to ability damage or not.

Biggus
2021-10-27, 04:34 PM
However! A Talisman of Undying Fortitude is an excellent pickup for this. It's more expensive than a wand, but a swift action activation gives you three rounds of a lot of immunities, including ability damage and drain. Usable twice per day, so it should be very good for keeping you safe.

This would be my suggestion, pretty much every character I make past a certain level has one of these. MIC p.188, 8,000GP.