PDA

View Full Version : Omega Red build

Snig
2021-10-27, 06:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions on the best way to build Omega Red with the 5e ruleset.

No as interested in the lethal pheromone ability he has, as I am his tentacles, strength, toughness and fighting ability.

I think grappling (flavored as his tentacles) should be a focus, and to me astral monk would be a great way to accomplish this? I'm pretty sure you can grapple creatures 10ft away with them and then attack them with your fists?

Maybe throw in some bear totem Barbarian for toughness? Tavern brawler maybe (might be overkill)?

Anyhow throw any fun ideas you might have my way and help me build this guy!

Abracadangit
2021-10-27, 09:39 PM
As a starting point, there's a race called the Simic Hybrid, kind of like a demi-humanoid, demi-beastkin super-soldier. Aside from the weird backstory parallel, you can get a climb speed at level 1 and I kid you not, "grappling tentacles" at level 5, which is the Omega Reddest thing ever:

"Grappling Appendages (5th level). You have two special appendages growing alongside with your arms. Choose whether they're both claws or tentacles. As an action, you can use one of them to grapple a creature. Each one is also a natural weapon, which you can use to make an unarmed strike with. If you hit, they do 1D6 + your strength modifier bludgeon damage. Immediately after hitting, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action. These appendages are not dexterous enough to use weapons, magic weapons, and other specialized equipment."

I mean... that's as Arkady as you're gonna get.

Magic Initiate feat (Druid) to get Thorn Whip to reel in badguys with your whips, take whatever else you want for flavor (maybe Primal Savagery or the much maligned Poison Spray, to get your death spores in after all), and then I would probably go full Barb as opposed to monk. You can fluff rage as Omega's general combat insanity + healing factor (plus adv. on Grapples), then go Beast Barb for a handful of Omega Red tricks (lifesteal attack, a whip reach weapon that can deflect attacks as a reaction, list goes on).

The problem with Monk is so much of their fluff has nothing to do with what Omega's all about. But Barb -- faster movement, brutal criticals, adv. on Dex saves to imitate Omega's reflexes, the rage -- it's all just so him.

Snig
2021-10-28, 07:02 AM
As a starting point, there's a race called the Simic Hybrid, kind of like a demi-humanoid, demi-beastkin super-soldier. Aside from the weird backstory parallel, you can get a climb speed at level 1 and I kid you not, "grappling tentacles" at level 5, which is the Omega Reddest thing ever:

"Grappling Appendages (5th level). You have two special appendages growing alongside with your arms. Choose whether they're both claws or tentacles. As an action, you can use one of them to grapple a creature. Each one is also a natural weapon, which you can use to make an unarmed strike with. If you hit, they do 1D6 + your strength modifier bludgeon damage. Immediately after hitting, you can try to grapple the target as a bonus action. These appendages are not dexterous enough to use weapons, magic weapons, and other specialized equipment."

I mean... that's as Arkady as you're gonna get.

Magic Initiate feat (Druid) to get Thorn Whip to reel in badguys with your whips, take whatever else you want for flavor (maybe Primal Savagery or the much maligned Poison Spray, to get your death spores in after all), and then I would probably go full Barb as opposed to monk. You can fluff rage as Omega's general combat insanity + healing factor (plus adv. on Grapples), then go Beast Barb for a handful of Omega Red tricks (lifesteal attack, a whip reach weapon that can deflect attacks as a reaction, list goes on).

The problem with Monk is so much of their fluff has nothing to do with what Omega's all about. But Barb -- faster movement, brutal criticals, adv. on Dex saves to imitate Omega's reflexes, the rage -- it's all just so him.

That's perfect! I think you're right, and path of the best beast is a great thematic fit.