PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph, Shapechange, Wildshape etc. into Unique creatures

Yogibear41
2021-10-27, 06:35 PM
Is there a rule against a character using Polymorph, shapechange, wildshape, or similar effects from transforming into a "unique" creature such as say an aspect of a demon prince or devil lord, and if so where is the rule located.

Vaern
2021-10-27, 07:25 PM
Shapechange specifically says that "...it enables you to assume the form of any single nonunique creature."

Polymorph's functionality is based on alter self, which gives you some control over physical details as far as your appearance but overall turns you into an average member of your new form's race. You wouldn't be able to polymorph into the aspect of a devil prince, but you might be able to turn into a malebranche or something which just happens to bear some strikingly similar physical qualities to a particular devil prince.
(Besides, Shapechange is s strictly more powerful variation of Polymorph, so the fact that it doesn't allow you to take the form of a unique creature should speak for the lesser spells in the chain as well.)

Wildshape says "The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with." I don't see anything right off the bat preventing you from wildshaping into a unique creature, but you wouldn't be able to wildshape into that unique creature without first having become familiar with it anyway. I doubt simply having seen the creature in question or even having spent a couple rounds in combat with it would constitute being familiar.

Doctor Despair
2021-10-27, 08:17 PM
Wildshape says "The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with." ... I doubt simply having seen the creature in question or even having spent a couple rounds in combat with it would constitute being familiar.

That's a slippery slope that leads towards druids only being able to wildshape into things a level 1 druid could reasonably have weeks/months of hands-on experience with in the wild and/or needing to take weeks/months of in-game time as side-plots to gain that familiarity. Meanwhile, the casts just know their spells and generally out-perform any individual gain in power you'd get from wild-shaping... I wouldn't advocate for that restrictive reading.

With that said, Wild Shape was keyed off of Polymorph before, which I think would preclude being a specific creature, but now it's based on Alternate Form, so maybe that opened it up a bit? I'm away from book atm, but it wouldn't be the first of unintentional buffs/nerfs caused by that change.

Gruftzwerg
2021-10-28, 02:06 AM
That's a slippery slope that leads towards druids only being able to wildshape into things a level 1 druid could reasonably have weeks/months of hands-on experience with in the wild and/or needing to take weeks/months of in-game time as side-plots to gain that familiarity. Meanwhile, the casts just know their spells and generally out-perform any individual gain in power you'd get from wild-shaping... I wouldn't advocate for that restrictive reading.

With that said, Wild Shape was keyed off of Polymorph before, which I think would preclude being a specific creature, but now it's based on Alternate Form, so maybe that opened it up a bit? I'm away from book atm, but it wouldn't be the first of unintentional buffs/nerfs caused by that change.

Yeah, since Wild Shape ain't related with Polymorph anymore (ERRATA if I recall correct) it has become weird..

As pointed out, you need to be "familiar" with the target form. How restrictive this is, is totally up to the DM. And it is imho plausible that specific/unique targets needs more familiarity (if you want a good disguise).

It gets really silly if you get Humanoid Shape and Extraordinary Wildshape (Master of Many Forms). Now you can Humanoid Shape into specific humanoid NPCs and get all their EX stuff (which includes most of the feats and some class abilities they might have..).

You may find this to OP, but if you compare it to the spellpower you give up in comprehension it's not that strong. As plain druid you would get instant access to all spells at each new spell level unlocked (and still have regular wild shape). As specialized shaper (MoMF) you have to get familiar with your target form first and always need DM approval. Therefore it is somewhat balanced compared with a full caster, but still ridiculously strong compared to most mundane builds.

Beni-Kujaku
2021-10-28, 02:07 AM

Are you really saying the druid needs to be buffed (or at least, not nerfed)? It's already in the top 3 most powerful base classes ever. Also, being familiar with a specific animal may mean having spent days/weeks with it, so that you know exactly how it looks and how it moves, but being familiar with a whole species of animals in general may just mean having read a lot about them, or living in a country where they live. You're a druid, you're supposed to spend most of your time in the forest, and also, that's what Knowledge(Nature) is for. In most cases, this clause is just a way for the DM to be able to say "Yeah, no. Fleshrakers have been extinct for around 60 million years, you're not familiar with that. Same thing with Dire Tortoise, you don't see dire animals roaming around your usual forest". Also, allowing the druid to turn into a specific animal can make them transform into an animal with a lot of templates, which can get out of hand quick.

Yogibear41
2021-10-28, 03:57 AM
Shapechange specifically says that "...it enables you to assume the form of any single nonunique creature."

woops, I thought it was against the rules but couldn't remember where I got it from. I was looking at a planar shepherd's wildshape into outsider forms to be specific. Was working on a wildshape ranger entry so was limited to small and medium forms, looking for cool things to use that were medium sized.