PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Cooler Lore Wizard

2021-10-27, 08:37 PM
Lore Mastery Screw Bards
Starting at 2nd level, you gain expertise in any Int-based ability check you are otherwise proficient in. Additionally, because you're so smart, and knowing is half the battle, you add half your proficiency (rounded down) to all nonproficient ability checks. Finally, add your Int mod to your initiative bonus.

Spell Secrets Screw Monsters
Starting at 2nd level, you may at-will change the damage type of a spell to any other damage type of your choice. You may even do this for a damage-over-time effect, changing what damage it deals from round to round as suits your fancy.

Alchemical Casting Screw Sorcerers
Starting at 6th level, you gain access to a metamagic and wizardry points. This is exactly identical to the sorcerer's Font Of Magic and Metamagic class features, except as follows:
You get twice as many points, because your knowledge of magic makes manipulating magic easier than for some dumb idiot who got their superpowers via nepotism.
Those points are called wizardry points, obviously.
You get twice as many metamagic options as a sorcerer of the same level.

Additionally, a number of times per long rest equal to your Int mod plus your proficiency bonus, you may change the saving throw a spell requires to any save of your choice for the duration of a single casting. This requires no further action or resource expenditure on your part.

Prodigious Memory Screw Prepared Casters
Starting at 10th level, add your proficiency bonus to the number of spells you can have prepared at one time.

Master Of Magic Screw Bards 2, Electric Boogaloo
Starting at 14th level, you can learn spells from any list, whether as your free level up spells, or via scribing from scrolls and the like.

Rilmani
2021-10-27, 11:53 PM
Needs more Wish.

Y’know, there is some potential in a Wizardry based version of Divine Intervention though. How would you limit it so it doesn’t stand head and shoulders over the Transmutation subclass though?

Kane0
2021-10-28, 03:06 AM
You forgot Savant 'screw other wizards': you scribe all wizard spells at twice the speed and half the cost.

2021-10-28, 07:38 AM
This was specifically about just amping up the abilities lore wizard already had to be as powerful as they should've been. I didn't wanna give them anything new. "A few expertise skills and Int-based Init" got turned into "more expertise skills, half-prof to all skills, and Init +Int". The ability to very rarely shift damage types of a spell to a few select others just had the limiters stripped off and the uses per rest amped way up. The ability to steal spells from other lists was massively increased. The ability to essentially prepare an extra spell become the ability to actually prepare several extra spells. The ability to change certain aspects of a spell by spending extra spell slots is now just the metamagic subsystem, like it should've been in the first place.

GalacticAxekick
2021-10-28, 12:53 PM
This was specifically about just amping up the abilities lore wizard already hadThen why did you replace Spell Secrets with the significantly weaker "Screw Monsters" and offer it at a much later level?

Spell Secrets let you change a spell's damage type as many times as you wanted, and let you change the saving throw once per rest.

Screw Monsters lets you change a spell's damage type a limited number of times, and never lets you change the saving throw.

But I digress. I have a bigger point to make.

This was specifically about just amping up the abilities lore wizard already had to be as powerful as they should've been [...] like it should've been in the first place.What makes you think the lore wizard should have been better than every other spellcaster in every conceivable way?

Amechra
2021-10-28, 01:01 PM
What makes you think the lore wizard should have been better than every other spellcaster in every conceivable way?

I think that AvatarVecna is doing a bit.

Tvtyrant
2021-10-28, 01:15 PM
Sadly this is deeply unbalanced by having access to a spellbook.

nickl_2000
2021-10-28, 01:26 PM
I think that AvatarVecna is doing a bit.

Ya, I wouldn't rake this to seriously. I think it's a preparation for next year on April 1st

2021-10-28, 01:42 PM
Then why did you replace Spell Secrets with the significantly weaker "Screw Monsters" and offer it at a much later level?

Spell Secrets let you change a spell's damage type as many times as you wanted, and let you change the saving throw once per rest.

Screw Monsters lets you change a spell's damage type a limited number of times, and never lets you change the saving throw.

Oh my god you're right, I missed that I made it weaker. Editing, thank you!

What makes you think the lore wizard should have been better than every other spellcaster in every conceivable way?

Common sense. Knowledge is power, so why shouldn't the smartest subclass of the smartest class be the best at everything?

EDIT: Fixed it. FWIW, I don't think lvl 6 is "a much later level" than lvl 2, but it's definitely later. I've also switched "screw sorcerers" and "screw monsters" in order to fix that. I personally think getting both of them at lvl 2 would be fine, especially since that means you get both more metamagic than sorcerer, and get it earlier too, but that would require a lot more editing to the original Lore Wizard than it really needed. The placement wasn't the problem, it was just too weak.