PDA

View Full Version : Melee Weapon Mastery

Crow
2007-11-17, 08:59 PM
When you take this feat, do it's effects work for qualifying weapons that can be thrown as well as used in melee (Shortspeear for instance)?

Do you get the benefits when you throw that particular weapon?

brian c
2007-11-17, 09:05 PM
When you take this feat, do it's effects work for qualifying weapons that can be thrown as well as used in melee (Shortspeear for instance)?

Do you get the benefits when you throw that particular weapon?

The feat description says "When using any melee weapon that has the damage type you selected..."

If you're throwing it, it's no longer a melee weapon, it's a ranged weapon. That said, it's possible to interpret it otherwise. the RAW is somehwhat unclear.

Crow
2007-11-17, 09:07 PM
But at it's core it is still a melee weapon...or at least listed as such.

This has been bugging me forever and I just want to know for sure. I can't believe Wizards hasn't covered this.

brian c
2007-11-17, 09:22 PM
But at it's core it is still a melee weapon...or at least listed as such.

This has been bugging me forever and I just want to know for sure. I can't believe Wizards hasn't covered this.

As we're discussing on another thread: Magic Missile is normally an arcane spell. If a cleric with the Force domain casts it though, it's cast as a divine spell.

Similarly, if you're making a melee attack, a shortspear is a melee weapon. If you're throwing it, it's a ranged weapon and therefore does not meet the requirements of the Melee Weapon Mastery feat, so you don't get the bonus. If you're the DM, you can interpret it differently though. For me, it doesn't make sense to give the bonus when you through it.

leperkhaun
2007-11-18, 06:55 AM
i would ask your DM about it. You could reasonably argue for it and its not unbalanced.

However i do belive the intent of the feat was for when you were meleeing with a weapon.

JimmyDPawn
2007-11-18, 01:09 PM
Dangnabbit, accidental double post. D:

JimmyDPawn
2007-11-18, 01:11 PM
Wizards posted a reply to this question in one of Dragon magazine.

It gains the bonus only when weilded as a melee weapon.

Crow
2007-11-18, 04:59 PM
Wizards posted a reply to this question in one of Dragon magazine.

It gains the bonus only when weilded as a melee weapon.

I found it in the latest FAQ now too. All good, baby.