PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shape (riding the druid tidal wave)

ocato
2007-11-17, 09:39 PM
So, it seems like these boards like me. I was contemplating making a druid, and then 500 druid threads popped up. So after looking around, I have some questions about wild shape. I ran a search or two for druid FAQs or guides but nothing great came up.\

What are some of the better choices of form to turn in to? I know Fleshraker is popular, but I'm interested in stuff that would be acceptable in a world without dinosaurs. Try to give me a level break down if you can.

Secondly, a few questions regarding Shape vs HD. Let's say I'm L9 and I choose to turn into a Dire Hawk because I need to fly somewhere at 80ft per round and low light vision is a useful bonus in this hypothetical situation. Now, dire hawks (MM2) have 5 HD. Can I advance to a 9 HD Dire Hawk? At L8 druid I learned to wildshape into a large creature, and 9 HD Dire Hawks are listed as Large in the MM2, so do/can I become a large Dire Hawk? Also, I assum that if I can advance to the 9 HD hawk, I get all the equivalent bonuses to attack and such that extra HD would bring. Granted, my HP doesn't change because I use my HP anyway. Also, as if I advance in HD, can I add monster feats? I mean, if the Dire Hawk advances to 9HD, could I add monster feats like flyby attack or multiattack?

dyslexicfaser
2007-11-17, 10:59 PM
Well, http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=639448 is the Master of Many Forms Bible - they have some good wildshape stuff, albeit a regular druid can't use all of it. You can't transform into stuff like giants and humanoids and dragons and stuff.

RTGoodman
2007-11-17, 11:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's the most up-to-date or not, but here's the Druid's Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=465005) from the Wizards CharOp boards. It has breakdowns of stuff to wildshape into by level (and grouped by purpose, like grappling, trampling, and defensive shapes), plus feats, animal companion stuff, feats, and everything else you need for making a powerful Druid.

Hario
2007-11-17, 11:15 PM
Dire Wolf or Dire Bear or anything with pounce is fairly good and mostly core. Flying creatures are ok to wildshape into they generally aren't menacing for attack wise. Dire wolf is such an awesome wildshape I focus most of my druids on it.