PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Archmage Prc Rewrite PEACH

Carl
2021-10-29, 10:52 AM
Archmage

Characteristics: An archmage is capable of maintaining a barrage of powerful and dangerous spells against his foes, adapting on the fly through his huge repertoire of available magics.

Background: Archmages are typically wizards who have focused on breadth of spell knowledge and efficiency over raw magical might.

GAME RULE INFORMATION

Requirements: 10th or higher level in any arcane spell casting class that prepares it’s spells at the start of the day, (e.g. wizard). Access to at least 5th level arcane spells. Cannot have a barred school if they get access to the school specialization class feature
Hit Die: d4
Class Skills: The Archmage's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are:

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Archmage

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+2
Increased Spell Capacity, Increased Spell Knowledge, Deep Spell Study, Bonus Feat

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+3
Spell-Like Metamagic

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+3
Bonus Feat

4th

+2

+1

+1

+4

5th

+2

+1

+1

+4
Bonus Feat

6th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Spell-Like Metamagic

7th

+3

+2

+2

+5
Bonus Feat

8th

+4

+2

+2

+6

9th

+4

+3

+3

+6
Bonus Feat

10th

+5

+3

+3

+7
Spell-Like Metamagic

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the archmage.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: As base class.

Increased Spell Capacity (Ex): Starting at first level, an archmage gains extra spells per day. Each time a character gains an archmage class level the number of spells per day they may cast of each spell level upto the maximum spell level granted by their qualifying base class/classes increases by 1. This is retroactive, so if the character gains access to higher level spell slots from their qualifying base class/classes at a later date, the increase in spells per day from already taken archmage levels applies to this new spell level as well.

Each level of archmage also increases their caster level by 1.

Increased Spell Knowledge (Ex): Starting at 1st level, an archmage gains knowledge of 3 spells from either their qualifying class spell list or the wizard spell list each time they gain an archmage level.

Deep Spell Study (Sp): Starting at 1st level, an archmage may at each odd number archmage level, (1st, 3rd, 5h, 7th, and 9th), choose upto 3 spells from the spell list of their qualifying class or the wizard spell list with a spell level equal to or less than their archmage level. They do not need to already know these spells. They may now cast these as at-will spell-like abilities. You can only select spells which have not had metamagic applied to them in this fashion. Save DC’s are determined as normal. Yu cannot select a spell with an xp cost and spells cast in this fashion have the ushual verbal, somatic, and material requirements.

You can with this class feature select spells of a spell level higher than what you can cast normally.

Anytime you would gain a feat, including bonus feats, you may instead choose to select an additional 3 spells just as if you had gained another archmage level, (but without any increase in the maximum spell level you could select).

In adition whenever an archmage makes a spellcraft, concentration, or knowlage (arcane) check they gain an insight bonus equal to 3 time their archmage level.

Bonus Feats (Ex): At 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th levels you may select any metamagic feat you do not already know as a bonus feat. You must still meet the perquisites for the feat.

Spell-Like Metamagic (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, an archmage learns to apply metamagic to their archmage spell-like abilities. At 2nd, 6th, and 10th levels select a metamagic feat you already know. You may now apply this at will to any spell like ability granted by your archmage class.

Epic Progression

Hit Die: d4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Archmage

Level
Special

11th
Increased Spell Capacity, Increased Spell Knowledge, Deep Spell Study,

12th

13th

14th

15th
Bonus Feat

16th

17th

18th
Spell-Like Metamagic

19th

20th
Bonus Feat

Class Features

Increased Spell Capacity (Ex): This continues to grant increased spell slots for existing spell levels at each archmage level just as it did at non-epic levels.

In addition, starting at 11th level, an for each odd numbered, (13th, 15th, 17th, 19th, e.t.c.), archmage level gained the maximum spell level you can prepare spells for in your qualifying class increases by 1. Treat your newly gained spell level as having an equivalent of 1 base spell slot. This new level gains bonus spells from your qualifying classes casting attribute and from archmage levels as normal. This can grant a spell level above 9th.

Increased Spell Knowledge (Ex): An archmage continues to gain knowledge of 3 additional spells from the appropriate spell lists per archmage level as normal.

Deep Spell Study (Sp): An epic archmage continues to gain additional spell-like abilities with each odd numbered level as normal.

In addition the insight bonus to Spellcraft, Concentration, and Knowledge (Arcane), skill checks increases to 5 per archmage level. This is retroactive with existing archmage levels.

Bonus Feats (Ex): At 15th, 20th, and every 5 levels thereafter you may select any of the following epic feats as a bonus feat provided you meet it’s requirements:

Augmented Alchemy, Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Combat Casting, Craft Epic Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Epic Rod, Craft Epic Staff, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, Efficient Item Creation, Enhance Spell, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Epic Spellcasting, Forge Epic Ring, Ignore Material Components, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Intensify Spell, Multispell, Permanent Emanation, Scribe Epic Scroll, Spell Focus, Spell Knowledge, Spell Mastery, Spell Penetration, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity, Spontaneous Spell, Tenacious Magic. In addition to the feats on this list, the archmage may select any item creation feat or metamagic feat not listed here.

Spell-Like Metamagic (Ex): At 18th and every 8 levels thereafter an archmage can select an additional metamagic they know that they can apply to their spell like abilities. This may be an epic metamagic.

Discussion

Allright time for a bit of discussion on this one and what I was going for. The previous two homebrews I’ve done have been very outside inspiration driven, and honestly by the end of them I was running into a bit of a creative mental wall so I didn’t have the energy to add something like this on the end like I really wanted to.

This homebrew has been me just trying to do something fun and interesting under the archmage title that feels less meh and bad than the default 3.5 version. The catch with that of course is arcane prepared spell caster are rally freaking powerful, it’s hard to do anything different and not make something even more broken without making something really bad. I don’t know if I managed that exactly but threading that line was what I was trying at.

Conceptually I saw an archmage being about efficiency and knowledge. A typical wizard is trying to balance the raw power of their spells against how many they can cast. An archmage is trying to cast each spell for as littlie as possible whilst knowing as many possible spells as they can. They’ll get to the fancy high level stuff eventually, but they’re not in as much of a rush to get there as a regular wizard. But when they do get there they’ll be able to throw out a lot of spells each day because they’re so efficient. And they’ll be able to back them up with a breadth and number of lower level spells no other caster can hope to match. OOTS provided an example of this philosophy in action with a mere wizard in V’s duel with Lirian. V had the spell slots to just plain outlast her on that occasion and that forced her to back down even though she could match anything he threw at her on a per shot level. An archmage thrives on creating such situations.

Naturally from a game play PoV the more spells you can get into your base class spell list from supplements the better. Otherwise you’re probably going to start running out of spells to learn real fast.

I threw in epic progression because I wasn’t hitting a wall with this class and it was fairly easy to do. The major highlights are that they get continued large volumes of spells known, spells per day and spell like abilities. They also get a max spell level that creep inexorably upwards. They also get huge spell craft boosts that means once they get enough epic levels they can start really getting fancy with epic spells. Conversely they get fewer bonus feats than a wizard, no familiar, (or familiar progression), and it’s going to take them till a minimum of 27th level before they can qualify for epic spellcasting or get access to normal 9th level spell slots.

Metastachydium
2021-10-29, 01:59 PM
Deep Spell Study (Sp): Starting at 1st level, an archmage may at each archmage level choose upto 3 spells from the spell list of their qualifying class or the wizard spell list with a spell level equal to or less than their archmage level. They do not need to already know these spells. They may now cast these as at-will spell-like abilities. You can only select spells which have not had metamagic applied to them in this fashion. Save DC’s are determined as normal.

You can with this class feature select spells of a spell level higher than what you can cast normally.

[…]

Spell-Like Metamagic (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, an archmage learns to apply metamagic to their archmage spell-like abilities. At 2nd, 6th, and 10th levels select a metamagic feat you already know. You may now apply this at will to any spell like ability granted by your archmage class.

Are you sure that full casters are so badly shafted that they need to have Wish and Quickened Wish at-will at around level 19?

Carl
2021-10-29, 04:33 PM
Are you sure that full casters are so badly shafted that they need to have Wish and Quickened Wish at-will at around level 19?

In case it wasn't obvious if you where for example to take 10 levels of wizard, (minimum to qualify), and 10 levels of archmage you'd still only be able to cast 5th level spells normally. So the "higher than you can normally cast" is kind of a requirement to make it really worth anything. Thats also a big part of why it's "at will", compared to a wizard, an Archmage has a much more limited selection of high level spells they can cast, (at least till they hit epics), they can just do so in a really spammy fashion due to their focus on efficiency over getting as many 9th levels spells as possibble as quick as possibble.

Also by the same token a full wizard can have access to several copies per day of a 9th level spell by 19th level if they want.

That said i didn't really intend for it to be used with wish, kind of an oversight. I'll go back and make it so you can't do it with any spell that has an xp cost, that cuts the degree of silliness way down.

Metastachydium
2021-10-29, 04:49 PM
In case it wasn't obvious if you where for example to take 10 levels of wizard, (minimum to qualify), and 10 levels of archmage you'd still only be able to cast 5th level spells normally. So the "higher than you can normally cast" is kind of a requirement to make it really worth anything. Thats also a big part of why it's "at will", compared to a wizard, an Archmage has a much more limited selection of high level spells they can cast, (at least till they hit epics), they can just do so in a really spammy fashion due to their focus on efficiency over getting as many 9th levels spells as possibble as quick as possibble.

Yup. I automatically assumed it progresses spellcasting. That said, it can still give metamagic-enhanced 7th level spells (wizard 12/am 8 or wizard 13/am 7) at-will pre-epic and makes epic wizards crazier than they already are. I don't know.

Also by the same token a full wizard can have access to several copies per day of a 9th level spell by 19th level if they want.

Precisely. They have more than enough reality breaking abilities as is.

That said i didn't really intend for it to be used with wish, kind of an oversight. I'll go back and make it so you can't do it with any spell that has an xp cost, that cuts the degree of silliness way down.

Yeah, that would tone it down a lot. Still not sure it's enough, but that's a good call.

Carl
2021-10-29, 05:57 PM
Yup. I automatically assumed it progresses spellcasting. That said, it can still give metamagic-enhanced 7th level spells (wizard 12/am 8 or wizard 13/am 7) at-will pre-epic and makes epic wizards crazier than they already are. I don't know.

Precisely. They have more than enough reality breaking abilities as is.

Yeah, that would tone it down a lot. Still not sure it's enough, but that's a good call.

Hmm i think i'll swap it so the pre-epic follows the epic progression scheme. i.e at every odd archmage level, that really cuts down the number of high level spells they get access to pre-epic significantly, (3 total of any mixture of 8th and 9th level as they can only select 9th level spells at 9th archmage level).

Ultimately any successful prc for a full caster has to deal with the issue that they have to be able to compere favourably with regular progression in that class. You don't necessarily want the prc to be any stronger given how strong full casters allread are, but you don't want it to be any weaker or you run into the same issue as the official archmage. i.e. it just sucks by comparison. It's tough to get that right and it's why i put it up for feedback.

Metastachydium
2021-10-30, 03:54 AM
Hmm i think i'll swap it so the pre-epic follows the epic progression scheme. i.e at every odd archmage level, that really cuts down the number of high level spells they get access to pre-epic significantly, (3 total of any mixture of 8th and 9th level as they can only select 9th level spells at 9th archmage level).

Good idea! Don't get me wrong, I like at-will casting a lot (go warlock!), but the last thing a wizard needs is moooore power.

Ultimately any successful prc for a full caster has to deal with the issue that they have to be able to compere favourably with regular progression in that class. You don't necessarily want the prc to be any stronger given how strong full casters allread are, but you don't want it to be any weaker or you run into the same issue as the official archmage. i.e. it just sucks by comparison. It's tough to get that right and it's why i put it up for feedback.

Yeah, I feel that. Balance is a female dog.