PDA

View Full Version : Norkroth Races

Maxwell
2007-11-17, 10:34 PM
Hello. I've decided to make a new campaign setting called Norkroth based on a game i play with my brother sometimes. Ever run into Kronthor on the forums? Anyway, I tweaked a couple races and I'm pretty confident in those, but I also made a couple from scratch. So it would really help me out if you could take a look and maybe give some suggestions to make them more balanced. Oh yeah. Norkroth is a futuristic campaign setting, with laser guns and whatnot, but still heavily influenced by magic and is a wild place, ripe with adventure. You will notice that my races don't have a automatic a nd bonus languages. I've decided that all PCs know one language and have to use skills to get the rest. I might give them two languages, haven't decided yet.

Monkiers
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
•Small: As a Small creature, a monkier gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
•Monkier base land speed is 30 feet. A monkier has a climb speed of 20 feet. A monkier has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing monkier. Also, monkiers add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
•+4 racial bonus on Jump checks. Monkiers treat all jumps as if they had a running start.
•Unafraid: Monkiers are immune to fear.
•+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks.

Monkiers were always kicked around by bigger races and they mostly lived simple lives in the jungle, trying to stay away from barbaric races. Then a particularly charismatic monkier mage by the name of Kip Widemouth teamed up with the outcast gnome Clunkit Orymockers. With Kip's magical might and his natural leadership, coupled with Clunkit's technological genius, they conquered a fair chunk of the continent. The monkiers had a good run but then it all started to fall apart.
Monkiers are little monkeyish people. They are physically weak and at first glance they seem stupid. Monkiers use this to their advantage. They are tricksters and a bit lazy. Some are bitter at the loss of their kingdom and are very violent. Others just want to return to their old ways in the jungle. Alot of monkiers are racist. Disliking humans, elves, and dwarves, even though they often fight alongside these forces in the fight against evil.

Lavamen
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom.
•Fire Subtype: Lavamen have the fire subtype. They have vulnerability to cold, which means they takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure, and immunity to fire.
•Small: As a Small creature, a lavaman gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
•Lavaman base land speed is 20 feet.
•Multiple limbs: Lavamen have four arms, and thus can take the Multi-Weapon Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.
•+2 racial bonus on Craft (Weapons).

No one knew that the lavamen exsisted. They had lived in the volcanic south of the continent as barbarians, fighting amongest themselves, for hundreds of years. One tribe worshiped a giant stone door. 120 years ago, a party of adventures stumbled into the lavamen worshiping. In the battle that followed an adventurer fired a rocket and blasted open the door. The explosion also killed the entire tribe. The heavily wounded adventurers cut and ran as warparty from another tribe approached. This warparty explored the open door and found the ruins of a highly advanced civillization filled with technology, notes ,and blueprints. The lavamen as a race then made the fastest tecnological jump in history. In 100 years they went from to club wielding savages into fierce machine pistol packing mercs.
Lavamen are know for their temper and their love for automatic weapons. They start many fights and finish most of them with superior firepower. They have flaming red hair and skin ranging from blackened to yellow.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-17, 11:21 PM
Monkiers
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Constitution
•Small: As a Small creature, a monkier gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
•Monkier base land speed is 30 feet. They also have a climb speed of 30 feet. Monkiers can climb their listed speed without needing make a Climb check. If monkiers ever need to make Climb checks then they get a +8 racial bonus.
•+4 racial bonus on Jump checks. Monkiers treat all jumps as if they had a running start.
•Unafraid: Monkiers are immune to fear.
•+2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Bluff checks.
Firstly, you're using climb speed wrong. A climb speed gives a +8 racial bonus to climb (you've got that) and can always take 10. No automatic succeed, that's way too powerful. If you really want that, its a high LA +1, low LA +2.
If you change that, low LA +1, immunity to fear and a quick climb speed. Though the -2 to con is kind of a hit. Also, you might want to allow them to use dex for climb checks.

To drop them to LA+0, drop climb speed to 20ft and give only a +4 racial bonus on saves vs fear.

Lavamen
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom.
•Fire Subtype: Lavamen have the fire subtype. They have vulnerability to cold, which means they takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure, and immunity to fire.
•Small: As a Small creature, a lavaman gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
•Lavaman base land speed is 20 feet.
•Multiple limbs: Lavamen have four arms, and thus can take the Multi-Weapon Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.
•+2 racial bonus on Craft (Weapons).
Solid LA+2. Not much to say other than that, though you could remove the wis penalty and they'd be a more solid LA+2. You're never going to succeed in getting a race with 4 arms lower than LA+1 and the Dragon's Dispoid is the only race I've seen get that far and they had many drawbacks and not fully usable secondary arms.

Maxwell
2007-11-17, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I did word the climb speed wrong. Don't know what I was thinking. I don't want to give lavamen a LA but balance wise i guess I need to. I'll either bump them a bit and make them a +2 LA or cut them down alot and make them +1 LA. Thanks.