PDA

View Full Version : I think Chromatic Dragonborn got it bad in Fizban’s.

Ralanr
2021-10-30, 09:35 PM
So out of the three Dragonborn Subraces, I feel like chromatics got it the worse.

Not only have all their breaths become line attacks (something that, in my experience, has proven more difficult to get multiple targets) but their unique ability, the immunity was reduced to one minute and is still an action.

The duration I’m fine with. But why is it still an action? Would it be too strong to make it a reaction? Especially when you consider how rare it is to run into elements outside of fire, whereas the metallic breaths and gem flying are much more broadly useful.

Leon
2021-10-30, 09:52 PM
Then stick with the Core versions of it, a new book with new options doesn't force you to use it.

Ralanr
2021-10-30, 09:59 PM
Then stick with the Core versions of it, a new book with new options doesn't force you to use it.

I mean, the core versions are still worse based on how breath weapon functions.

Chronos
2021-10-31, 07:01 AM
Yeah, the core dragonborn gets pretty much nothing except for a breath weapon, and it costs an action that is almost always better used for something else, so they almost never use their one feature.

Unoriginal
2021-10-31, 09:02 AM
Especially when you consider how rare it is to run into elements outside of fire

I don't think it's particularly rare to run into elemental damage outside of fire.

Chromatic Warding is basically looking a dragon of the same elemental type as you in the eyes and declaring that for the next minute, this is a claws and teeth and steel fight only.

Also having a 30ft line breath weapon can still be pretty great.

But aside from that yes I think it's fair to say that the Chromatic Dragonborn got a smaller bonus than the Gem and Metallic ones. Not bad, just less good.

Tanarii
2021-10-31, 10:04 AM
What's the range on the Line attacks?

A cone attack can target two adjacent to each other but 6-10 away from you enemies with little maneuvering, but including someone at significant distance is hard. A line attack typically can target two non adjacent enemies some considerable distance from you, but often requires a little bit of maneuvering.

In other words, a cone is usually best for melee characters and a line better for close-in but ranged characters.

Ralanr
2021-10-31, 10:35 AM
What's the range on the Line attacks?

A cone attack can target two adjacent to each other but 6-10 away from you enemies with little maneuvering, but including someone at significant distance is hard. A line attack typically can target two non adjacent enemies some considerable distance from you, but often requires a little bit of maneuvering.

In other words, a cone is usually best for melee characters and a line better for close-in but ranged characters.

About 30 feet. Though again, in my own experience with lines, it's been difficult to even get two lined up. My mileage varies.

Unoriginal
2021-10-31, 11:34 AM
About 30 feet. Though again, in my own experience with lines, it's been difficult to even get two lined up. My mileage varies.

On a normal D&D battlefield with several enemies, it's quite unlikely to not have two enemies within 30ft of each other.

It may demand the Dragonborn go get into one of the foes' face and then position themselves accordingly, but once you do you can draw a line between the two.

Catching more than 2 is more difficult, true.

Foolwise
2021-10-31, 12:55 PM
The fire chromatic dragonborn Way of the Ascendant monk is truly the red-headed stepchild of WotC.

quindraco
2021-11-01, 09:59 AM
So out of the three Dragonborn Subraces, I feel like chromatics got it the worse.

Not only have all their breaths become line attacks (something that, in my experience, has proven more difficult to get multiple targets) but their unique ability, the immunity was reduced to one minute and is still an action.

The duration I’m fine with. But why is it still an action? Would it be too strong to make it a reaction? Especially when you consider how rare it is to run into elements outside of fire, whereas the metallic breaths and gem flying are much more broadly useful.

I agree - Flight as a Bonus and modified breath as a non-action (it just happens, no economy) is radically better than immunity as an Action, with no obvious justification. I think since the other two types have different economies (Bonus and non), letting Chromatics do this as a Reaction is fully justified (and I just went with it for one of my players), but I could certainly see an argument for Bonus if a DM wanted to just copy the Gem version.

MrCharlie
2021-11-01, 02:11 PM
I agree - Flight as a Bonus and modified breath as a non-action (it just happens, no economy) is radically better than immunity as an Action, with no obvious justification. I think since the other two types have different economies (Bonus and non), letting Chromatics do this as a Reaction is fully justified (and I just went with it for one of my players), but I could certainly see an argument for Bonus if a DM wanted to just copy the Gem version.
The modified breath isn't a non-action, it's triggered as part of an attack like regular breath-I guess that's a non-action, but it's a very strange way to say that.

To delve into the original question-if you are making a martial character who wants AOE options then metallic or gem is obviously best. Metallic because you invest more heavily into the breath, and the cones generally affect more creatures-particularly if you are in melee yourself. A ranged character likely finds the gem flight more appealing instead, although honestly it's probably the best of all the abilities (but not in all situations).

That said, as a spellcaster, chromatic may be useful. In particular I can come up with situations where I would use the chromatic warding option so that I could drop a fireball at my own feet. Immunity to damage could also completely (well, effectively) negate certain encounters-A fire elemental, for instance, can either grapple you or at best pick up a scimitar and start making non-proficient swipes.

It's just very difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where you need immunity to fire damage (and only fire damage really benefits) versus a controllable, repeatable source, without your character acting basically suicidal. I suppose an artillerist could build for HP and AC and routinely fireball themselves, but otherwise there just isn't much reliable use for the ability.

Dork_Forge
2021-11-02, 08:48 PM
The modified breath isn't a non-action, it's triggered as part of an attack like regular breath-I guess that's a non-action, but it's a very strange way to say that.

To delve into the original question-if you are making a martial character who wants AOE options then metallic or gem is obviously best. Metallic because you invest more heavily into the breath, and the cones generally affect more creatures-particularly if you are in melee yourself. A ranged character likely finds the gem flight more appealing instead, although honestly it's probably the best of all the abilities (but not in all situations).

That said, as a spellcaster, chromatic may be useful. In particular I can come up with situations where I would use the chromatic warding option so that I could drop a fireball at my own feet. Immunity to damage could also completely (well, effectively) negate certain encounters-A fire elemental, for instance, can either grapple you or at best pick up a scimitar and start making non-proficient swipes.

It's just very difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where you need immunity to fire damage (and only fire damage really benefits) versus a controllable, repeatable source, without your character acting basically suicidal. I suppose an artillerist could build for HP and AC and routinely fireball themselves, but otherwise there just isn't much reliable use for the ability.

It'd be a much easier sell if it was just more user friendly, you basically need to give up an action during combat to use it.

I'd have made it a bonus or made it ten minutes, either one would make it more usable and feel a lot closer to the alternatives.

MrCharlie
2021-11-03, 11:05 AM
It'd be a much easier sell if it was just more user friendly, you basically need to give up an action during combat to use it.

I'd have made it a bonus or made it ten minutes, either one would make it more usable and feel a lot closer to the alternatives.
It's a decent thing to pair with a sorcerer's quicken spell, although, to be honest, so is the regular breath.

Segev
2021-11-03, 12:32 PM
I had a thought on approaching this: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?638303-Chromatic-Dragonborn-and-Animated-Breath