PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a druidic staff for "Changestaff", then applying "Ironwood" to it.

mystrzy
2021-10-31, 12:15 AM
So (in 3.5), a Druid prepares a staff to later change into a Treant like behaving item using Changestaff... But before doing so, applies an Ironwood spell to it. Does it work? A Treant acting thing made of steely goodness? I've looked all over for this scenario to no avail.

mattie_p
2021-10-31, 03:34 AM
I see two reasonable answers, neither of which I think you will like.

Ironwood is a magical substance created by druids from normal wood. While remaining natural wood in almost every way ...

1. An ironwood staff is like wood but is actually a magical substance. The ironwood staff is not acceptable as a focus component for changestaff.

2. The changestaff spell takes effect exactly as written. The ironwood staff focus component is transformed into a huge treant-like creature, with the stats of a treant and no special benefits from the ironwood spell.

Option 3, where the treant gains hardness or something, I do not believe has RAW support.

Thunder999
2021-10-31, 10:52 AM
The treant doesn't inherit anything from the staff you use, ironwood is no exception.

mystrzy
2021-10-31, 09:08 PM
I see two reasonable answers, neither of which I think you will like.

1. An ironwood staff is like wood but is actually a magical substance. The ironwood staff is not acceptable as a focus component for changestaff.

2. The changestaff spell takes effect exactly as written. The ironwood staff focus component is transformed into a huge treant-like creature, with the stats of a treant and no special benefits from the ironwood spell.

Option 3, where the treant gains hardness or something, I do not believe has RAW support.

Thanks.. you're right. But I still like the idea, the visuality of an Ironwood Treant bearing down on a hoard of fire wielding orcs intent on burning a forest.. or something along that line. So the simple answer is too simple to actually work (Thanks Occam's Razor). The idea should be fully contained in Druidic arts, not needing a wish or MU involvement. The stage is set, what are the additional steps needed to pull this off? Fully realizing building is much more difficult than tearing down, how could this be done? Or you could just have the MU make an Iron Golem... sigh. Want different, natural, not same'ol.

GeoffWatson
2021-10-31, 09:26 PM
Cast resist fire or protection from fire or energy immunity, or, or, or, on the Treant.