PDA

View Full Version : What’s Your Favorite Early-Level Module?

Palanan
2021-10-31, 10:13 AM
Often enough Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury are recommended as good modules for low-level groups, and I love them both.

But they were very early in the overall 3.P run. What other modules are standouts for low-level groups, in terms of both storyline and design? And which have unusual and imaginative low-level creatures? Are there any modules that provide all this in a single, fun-to-play package?

Yael
2021-10-31, 05:44 PM
Often enough Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury are recommended as good modules for low-level groups, and I love them both.

But they were very early in the overall 3.P run. What other modules are standouts for low-level groups, in terms of both storyline and design? And which have unusual and imaginative low-level creatures? Are there any modules that provide all this in a single, fun-to-play package?

For a group of new players, A Dark and Stormy Knight is a good module, short, interesting and a great spot to get the party together. Scourge of the Howling Horde is a good one for a group that wants to start together, or you can play it similarly to sunless.

You can always use the Something's Cooking short adventure, it's for level 2nd, but its fun as hell.

If you consider 5th to still be low level, I'd recommend The Sinister Spire, it's a 5th-7th adventure that takes place in the Underdark. It's a followup adventure to Barrow of the Forgotten King (though I haven't played this one). I once used it as a follow up module to The Forgotten Forge (another good one with interesting encounters and lore), that is actually a follow-up of sunless, and placed the entrance to the underdark in the small caves under the sunless citadel that connect to the underdark so players could backtrack into familiar territory. The adventure itself is pretty interesting, a good look on the underdark and its perils.