PDA

View Full Version : Redundant monster abilities

Idea Man
2007-11-18, 12:20 AM
I'm pawing through the MM, looking for evils to unleash on my trusting players, when I came across something I had forgotten about.

Hellwasp swarm.
It has a common swarm ability to be immune to weapon damage. Straightforward, direct, I like simple rules. But, wait, what's this? DR 10/magic. Okaaay, why would you need damage reduction when you are immune to all weapon damage? Did I miss an errata update? I just ruled that it applied when the swarm is inhabiting a body, another of its abilities.

I was wondering if there were any other examples of blatantly nonsenseical combinations of abilities?

Quietus
2007-11-18, 12:23 AM
If you're going to have two threads, you should name'em Deja Vu. Heh.

Anyhow; Maybe it's in case someone ... uh... I mean...

Magical caltrops?

Idea Man
2007-11-18, 12:28 AM
My fault. The computer was hanging up. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-11-18, 12:58 AM
Just for the badass flavor when a single hellwasp arrives to herald the coming of a swarm.

Imagine, your players are sitting at home, when they see a buch of wasps inside. Naturally, what happens?

"I swat it with my flyswatter. Natural 20, so I hit it."
Your flyswatter breaks and deals no damage. Meanwhile, the buzzing sound grows louder...

Well, technically, there are no flyswatters in DnD, but the point is it's just cooler to have wasps that cannot be harmed by mundane weapons.