PDA

View Full Version : Item reward for wizard

Gorthawar
2021-10-31, 02:24 PM
Hi all, I'm looking for nice item to give as a reward to my wizard player worth around 8 to 10k gold. The party has just finished their quest in the Beastlands and a resident Leonal will provide suitable gifts for all of them. They have just hit level 8 and below are the items the rest of the group is getting:

Rogue/Swashbuckler: Bracers of the Hunter
Cleric of Bahamut: +1 Valerous Greatsword that counts as silver for overcoming DR
Wildshape Ranger: +1 Beastskin Armor
Scout/Ranger: +1 Seeking Composite Longbow that adjusts for strength
Hunter Druid: Ring of the Beast
As you can see I've tried to somewhat stick to a theme of hunting, beasts and valor but now I'm stumped to think of something for the wizard that is not just a +x item.

Thanks a lot!

2021-10-31, 02:28 PM
Easy answer is a lvl 3 pearl of power.

Demidos
2021-10-31, 02:50 PM
Maybe a 1/day or 2/day ring of the mighty summons? Makes summons last only half as long but maximizes their HP.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-31, 03:09 PM
How about a collar of perpetual attendance? It's a constant unseen servant effect for 2,000 gp, from the Cats! Fabulous Cats! article on the WotC website -- or it was; I think it's been taken down. If you want to make up the difference, also add on mage hand as well, for just about 3,350 gp altogether. (Priced according to the item-stacking rules in the MIC.) Add to a few more at-will spells for fun, and you'll have a decent item for a mage. Nothing useful in combat unless s/he gets creative, but not having to memorize a bunch of spells for quality of life enhancements will go a long way.

Thurbane
2021-10-31, 03:10 PM
Just some random thought flicking through the MIC index:

Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (10,000)
Fanged Mask (8,300) [not ideal unless the Wizard is a gish/melee type]
Lenses of True Form (10,000)
Sandals of the Light Step (9,000)
Horned Helm (8,000) [not ideal unless the Wizard is a gish/melee type]
Helm of the Hunter (9,000)
Angelhelm (10,000)
Ring of the Ram (8,600)
Ring of Animal Friendship (10,800)
Scentblinder (8,000)
Cat’s-eye Brooch (9,000)
Shirt of the Treant (9,000)
Figurine of Wondrous Power (Serpentine Owl) (9,100)
Figurine of Wondrous Power (Bronze Griffon) (10,000)

Maat Mons
2021-10-31, 04:17 PM
Resistance to Cold and Fire damage also have the side effect of making you more comfortable in hot or cold environments. The Endure Elements effect is handy for anyone who ventures into the wilds, like hunters and adventurers. Protection from the most common elemental damage types is also nice for adventurers.

A Ring of Sustenance costs 2,500 gp. Magic Item Compendium lets you add Resistance 5 to an energy type for 4,000 gp. So it would be 10,500 gp for a Ring of Not Starving, Freezing, or Getting Heatstroke. Giving this to the Wizard is a little like having the Leonel say "And clearly you need help just to cope with basic day-to-day survival outside the comforts of civilization." But compared to the three survivalists and the guy who can cast Create Food and Water, the Wizard probably does look a little out of place in the wilderness.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-31, 04:35 PM
A blessed book costs 12,500 gp and is really nice to have, especially if you're juggling several spellbooks. It's a bit higher than you asked for, but it really is invaluable to a wizard.

Or if he's more of a wizzard, how about a pair of boots of skating in the XPH grant a +15' enhancement bonus to base land speed (less if going uphill, and more if down-) and only cost 7,000 gp.

icefractal
2021-10-31, 04:53 PM
The usefulness of this would depend on what your campaign's like, but potentially:

[Item] of Watchful Rest
No penalty to Perception for being asleep or preparing spells, and can resume it immediately after dealing with an interruption rather than needing extra time.

Or a metamagic rod of Silent Spell - good when hunting.

Doctor Despair
2021-10-31, 05:04 PM
The usefulness of this would depend on what your campaign's like, but potentially:

[Item] of Watchful Rest
No penalty to Perception for being asleep or preparing spells, and can resume it immediately after dealing with an interruption rather than needing extra time.

Or a metamagic rod of Silent Spell - good when hunting.

If it refers to Perception, would it be a 5e thing? Or is that in PF as well?

icefractal
2021-10-31, 06:39 PM
I was thinking in PF terms, but I think it would work similarly in 5E. Spot / Listen in 3E terms.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-31, 06:58 PM
How about a collar of perpetual attendance? It's a constant unseen servant effect for 2,000 gp, from the Cats! Fabulous Cats! article on the WotC website -- or it was; I think it's been taken down. If you want to make up the difference, also add on mage hand as well, for just about 3,350 gp altogether. (Priced according to the item-stacking rules in the MIC.) Add to a few more at-will spells for fun, and you'll have a decent item for a mage. Nothing useful in combat unless s/he gets creative, but not having to memorize a bunch of spells for quality of life enhancements will go a long way.Ah, found the cat article. It's here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c).

redking
2021-10-31, 07:13 PM
Amulet of Eschew Materials (10,000 gp).

mabriss lethe
2021-10-31, 07:31 PM
If your wizard likes to use wands, a glove of storing can be a nice gift.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-31, 07:56 PM
If your wizard likes to use wands, a glove of storing can be a nice gift.Or two gloves of the master strategist. 3,600 gp each, with both of them doing what one glove of storing can do, along with true strike 1/day. Each.

Combine with arcanist gloves with additional charges for a constant +2 CL to 1st level spells.

Troacctid
2021-10-31, 08:56 PM
I have a spreadsheet of useful magic items in my signature. It's sorted by price, in case you'd like to peruse the target price range for ideas.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-10-31, 09:12 PM
Or two gloves of the master strategist. 3,600 gp each, with both of them doing what one glove of storing can do, along with true strike 1/day. Each.

Combine with arcanist gloves with additional charges for a constant +2 CL to 1st level spells.You may also consider linking the above gloves to a handy haversack, so anything shrunk by the gloves is stored in the haversack. Combine that with a 'possum pouch (1,800 gp; CAdv) so it adheres to one's belly, like a kangaroo's pouch (or a 'possum's pouch, imagine that) and is difficult to find. It's a good place to store one's (non-emergency) spellbook.

animewatcha
2021-10-31, 09:14 PM
Part of how can we help can be knowing exactly 'what kind' of wizard you have going on. Schools banned? Generalist? Stuff like that.

I can't remember where this alternative class feature for wizard was. However, Int mod times per day, you could port x feet as an interrupt action like when you were about to be attacked. Seeing as how it was commonly suggested in wizard guides in past. Maybe an item version of it?

Gruftzwerg
2021-11-01, 02:54 AM
If your wizard is squishy and tends to get into trouble, a Shadow Clock can be really nice.

Shadow Cloak (DotU). 5500GP, shoulders slot. 3/day either Teleport 10' as an immediate action, or concealment for 1 round. Due to the immediate action it can be used when an attack is declared (before resolving the attack roll) which helps the wizard to get out of trouble.

And imho the Shadow Cloak would fit the hunting theme.

Gorthawar
2021-11-01, 07:24 AM
Thanks a lot for all the feedback. I'll come back to some of the specific ideas this evening after work. However, here is some more information about the wizard in question:

Cormyrean Wizard using the elven generalist substitution level for an additional spell at highest level and traded his familiar for eidetic spellcaster and therefore doesn't have a spellbook (otherwise a blessed book would be perfect). His most notable feat is a heavily modified version of spellfire wielder with also 3 levels in a homebrew prc that improves those abilities a little. Aside from that he uses his fiery burst regularly to help mop up combat. His equipment as I can remember of the top of my hear contains a monocle of perusal, a fortyfying bedroll, haversack, never ending rations, vest of resistance, purple dragon ring, rod of extend (lesser) and some more bits and bobs. He's saved enough money to buy a headband of intellect but for some reason didn't go through with buying it last time they were in a bigger city.

Adventure wise the heroes are now returning to Faerun near the village of Oakhurst and the Sunless Citadel which I placed north of Phlan in the Moonsea region where they will be faced with dragonspawn of tiamat and similar when they revisit their old hunting grounds. A ring with elemental resistances will certainly come in handy there. After that I'll slowly coax them out of the Moonsea into the dales towards the City of the Spider Queen adventure.