PDA

View Full Version : Levels of Distress (Exhaustion-adjacent Mechanic)

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-01, 03:43 AM
I am following homebrewing to the letter today "Creating custom rules that best fit the needs of my table"

I was looking at ways of softening up my party, to give the sense of 'skipping' straight to the last encounter of an adventuring day. After having the horrible idea of removing resources right out of my players hands as a consequences of a skill challenge, I thought of another idea: Exhaustion.

Exhaustion was probably designed for something similar to what I'm looking for, but not quite. Upon closer inspection, it becomes obvious that Exhaustion was designed to work in a very different context, and for a much different game than I seem to be running. So I sat down and created my first draft of Distress.

Design Goal
Create a new Condition for tiredness. This new Condition should include levels of severity, and a handful of effects that give the player a handicap for upcoming combat encounters. This handicap should give a similar experience to fighting an encounter late in the adventuring day. The effects of the conditions should therefor be combat oriented.
Bonus Point given for penalties that feel hurtful, but aren't unfun.

Distress
Distress is a condition that represents weariness, lack of rest, and long adventuring day. Distress can be used as a Consequence for a Skill Challenge, as adverse effects of traversing hostile territory, or as a way of representing the effects of an extended siege. Distress is also a great way to start a One-Shot, to make the finsæ battle a little more dramatic.
These effects stack. If you have 3 levels of Distress you suffer the effects of all of the first three levels.
Your Distress level is reduced by 3 at the end of a long rest.

1st Level
Fatigue has made you sluggish, you don't seem to be able to capitalize on opportunities as well as you should.
You cannot gain advantage on ability checks, attack rolls or saving throws.

2nd Level
Your body feels heavy and slow to respond.
You have Disadvantage on initiative rolls.

3rd Level
Only a warm meal and a soft bed will satisfy your needs for rest.
You take receive half healing from all sources.

4th Level
Your mind is clouded and your vision is swimming. You are beginning to lose the fight against your own body.
You take a 1d4 penalty to all attack rolls and saving throws.

5th Level
Existence is agony, you cannot go on much longer.
Your Hit Point maximum is reduced to half.

6th Level
You've realized that you're not going to make it out of this alive.

When you roll initiative with 6 levels of Distress, you know your days are numbered. Once within the next minute you can use your Heroic Death ability. When you've used your Heroic Death ability, or at the end of the minute (whichever comes first), you succumb to your wounds. Your Distress level becomes 5, you are reduced to 0 hit points and you take two automatically failed death saving throw, as if you had rolled a 1 on a Death Saving Throw.

Heroic Death
As a Reaction to another creature's turn ending, you can move to that point in the initiative order and take your last turn. During this turn, you can turn one attack roll you make into an automatic crit, and you gain the following effects:

You become immune to all Conditions except Blinded and Deafened.
Your attack rolls automatically succeed.
Saving Throws against effects that you create fail automatic.
Your movement speed is doubled.

You cannot use Heroic Death again until you have completed a Long Rest.

When you roll initiative you instead go to the top of the initiative order and all conditions affecting you are temporarily removed until the end of your turn.
Until the end of your turn, all your attacks and saving throw are considered as having rolled a Natural 20, and all saving throws against effects you create are considered Natural 1s. In addition, your movement speed is doubled.
And the end of your turn, your character is Killed Outright, and you may hand your DM your character sheet. Your last stand will be remembered in the stories told by those who witnessed it.

Rilmani
2021-11-03, 10:14 AM
I recently saw a suggestion for a boss fight mechanic. When the boss reaches half health and enters a different stage, it ends all conditions on itself and the party gains a level of exhaustion.
I think that mechanic would work very will with Distress.

I’ve also seen effects like “wounds” and a mechanic that stated “when you are reduced to 0 hit points (or fail a death saving throw, not sure which) you gain 1 level of exhaustion.” And I think that would work well with Distress. The idea behind it was that heroes shouldn’t pop back up from death saves with zero consequences.

So with one level on the Distress track, if you are afflicted by an effect that causes Disadvantage on attacks, will you be able benefit from Advantage-granting effects such that Disadvantage is canceled out? I realize you can’t get pushed up to proper Advantage on your roll because of distress, I’m just checking for this case.

Do you think this track fairly punishes Martials and Spellcasters? That’s something the current Exhaustion track fails to do. Penalizing Concentration saving throws as you do feels like a step in the right direction.

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-03, 10:41 AM
I love all those different uses of a "wound" system. I had completely forgotten about those applications!

I honestly don't know about the advantage bit, I'm really torn between the two rulings. :/

I haven't at all thought about the martial/spellcaster gap, and I'm not sure its needed :D

Rilmani
2021-11-03, 12:50 PM
I love all those different uses of a "wound" system. I had completely forgotten about those applications!

I honestly don't know about the advantage bit, I'm really torn between the two rulings. :/

I haven't at all thought about the martial/spellcaster gap, and I'm not sure its needed :D

You think that spellcasters should be able to call upon their highest tier of spells without any additional action cost, saving throw to successfully cast, or (most importantly) penalty to their Spell Saving Throw DC while struggling with a sliver of health/many levels of Distress?

I disagree because the caster is moving large amounts of energy, regardless of whether they have magic items or a divine patron supporting them.

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-03, 04:45 PM
I could add a clause, where appropriate, using the phrase "saving throws against effects you create":

1st Level
Saving throws against effects that you create do not suffer disadvantage.

2nd Level
-------

3rd Level
-------

4th level
Creatures gain a bonus 1d4 to saving throws against effects that you create.

5th Level
------

6th level
-----

Saelethil
2021-11-04, 04:52 PM
I’ve been thinking exhaustion can use a rework as well. I really like your Heroic Death feature and might wrap it into mine.

-Subtract your level of exhaustion from each attack roll, ability check, and saving throw you make.
-The save DC for any of your spells or abilities decreases by your exhaustion level.
-Your speed decreases by 5x your exhaustion level.

My thought is that as characters get exhausted they should be getting incrementally worse at pretty much everything.

This could potentially be simplified:

-Subtract your level of exhaustion from your proficiency bonus (even below 0).
-Your speed decreases by 5x your exhaustion level.

But with other features keying off of PB I wasn’t sure that would work.

Chronic
2021-11-05, 07:42 AM
I like your idea, I've worked on a revised 5e, and I made the exhaustion mechanic more present because I thought it was underused. I will still have to think about the balance of your different level but the idea is definitely neat. For the 4th level, what about rolling a d12 instead of a d20, and not removing a d4? It's harsher but it cuts down one rolls and math.

Yakk
2021-11-05, 01:26 PM
This, like Exhaustion, runs into the problem it is a table of distinct effects. This makes it harder to track and remember.

I'd consider a far simpler system.

You have a Distress die. Every level of Distress makes it larger. d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20.

It subtracts from:
Ability checks, Saving Throws, Attack rolls, Healing you provide and recieve, and it adds to Saving Throws you impose, and damage you deal (!).

Now, add in the a minimal number of extra riders.

At d8 or higher, you can only get a rest in a secure location.

At d12 or higher, your HP maximum is halved.

At d20 you get Heroic Death.

Note I had it add to damage you deal. This is to make it a not-complete death spiral. If you manage to connect, you cause a bit of extra pain.

Rilmani
2021-11-06, 03:09 PM
This, like Exhaustion, runs into the problem it is a table of distinct effects. This makes it harder to track and remember.

I'd consider a far simpler system.

You have a Distress die. Every level of Distress makes it larger. d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20.

It subtracts from:
Ability checks, Saving Throws, Attack rolls, Healing you provide and recieve, and it adds to Saving Throws you impose, and damage you deal (!).

Now, add in the a minimal number of extra riders.

At d8 or higher, you can only get a rest in a secure location.

At d12 or higher, your HP maximum is halved.

At d20 you get Heroic Death.

Note I had it add to damage you deal. This is to make it a not-complete death spiral. If you manage to connect, you cause a bit of extra pain.

Huh. A version of exhaustion which helps you push harder too. The Attack penalty is still harsh, but additional damage and healing… Plus you could still attempt the Help action or interact with the environment if you weapon-hand is effectively too numb to swing a weapon properly. And! Using the PHB’s Healing Surge optional rule could work as a route for decreasing one’s Distress die size. Though I might change it from requiring an Action to requiring the sacrifice of one Attack if you have extra Attack OR using it for “free” when you take the Dodge action.

Then the question would be- can you inflict Distress levels on enemies? I’d certainly love to tack it on after a creature Frightening it or bringing it below half HP. Or inflict it on a minion after their boss dies/gets a critical hit.

Edit: I recently ran into a homebrew Mystic class which uses a d2 for a mechanic. And one official Barbarian subclass uses a d3. Perhaps we could start with a d2 Distress die/penalty, if we don’t take the orderly route of -1/-2/-3/-4/-5/-6 (unconscious).

noob
2021-11-06, 03:44 PM
Do you recover distress on resurrection or do you stay at dangerously high distress levels?
Or does it depends on the afterlife(ex: if you go to one involving a lot of suffering you do keep distress levels on being resurrected)

Bjarkmundur
2021-11-06, 06:37 PM
It depends on the spell used and DM rulings.

I would rule that Raise Dead and True Resurrection would remove Distress, but Revivify probably wouldn't. Use whatever rulings are used for Exhaustion in the same situation (6th level Exhaustion is "death")